[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bus Life N

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 21

File: hqdefault.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
Anyone seen their channel on youtube? They transformed old Volvo bus into camper like house for around 20k$ and live in it driving around different cool locations. Is this the dream?
>>
File: blackscienceguy.jpg (140KB, 691x830px) Image search: [Google]
blackscienceguy.jpg
140KB, 691x830px
>>923961
>Is this the dream?

Yes, but its not a perfect dream. Wish I could do this but you get tied down but a lot of things quickly.. I'm 100 percent sure Im gonna regret that I didnt do something like that.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg (209KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_000330.jpg
209KB, 1328x747px
20k? Thats 19,500 too much for me OP.

>is this the dream?
>>
>>923961
20K?

Did they use gold somewhere?
>>
>>924010
No they just fell for the tiny house meme where you can't live in a 20x10 space without spending 10x as much on wood as a normal person does
>>
>>923961
I do like the idea. But, to live so simply its actually a rich mans game. You've got to be debt free, money to buy/upgrade bus, money for petrol and food each month. Its really unrealistic for it to be any longer than a year
>>
>>923961
>Is this the dream?
It seems this is the latest millenial fad of "quitting work" and "chasing your dream of traveling around the world".

But a few years ago I did the basic logistics of this and the fuel and heating issues alone require you to have some sort of income.

So basically you still need to be able to make money from youtube enough to support your lifestyle.

Which means you need to be attractive or charismatic, or both.

Generally the people that do this also have rich parents.

So yes, its a dream for priviliged people who could simply have asked their parents to send them on a round the world trip, but wanted something "more authentic".
>>
>>924009
>is this the nightmare?

Ft4u and yes.
>>
>>926095
>So basically you still need to be able to make money from youtube enough to support your lifestyle.
Most of the youtubers that do this have a patreon.
That should tell you how financially viable this idea is.

https://www.patreon.com/hoboahle
http://www.godownsize.com/support/
https://www.patreon.com/rawalignment
https://www.patreon.com/exploringalternatives
>>
>Live in a bus myself
>$1000
>Not insulated
>20 Degrees F outside
Fuck.
>>
>>926346
How large is this bus? Would a wood stove or electric space heater be unable to warm it up? Have you considered tacking wool blankets up along the inside to provide a little bit of insulation for it?
>>
>>926350
Electric heater? You must be retarded.(gas is what usually is used)
>>
File: 3453242424.png (80KB, 330x176px) Image search: [Google]
3453242424.png
80KB, 330x176px
>>926101

>patreon

Who the fuck is financing these punchable assholes?
>>
>>926094
I love /out/, you faggots will come up with any excuse to not do cool shit. Like anything you just cant wrap your mind around is an impossible pipe dream.

>>926095
Hah, impossible pipe dream unless youre a whiny hipster trustee.

>>926098
Sorry about your shit life anon

>>926346
Put a wood stove in that bitch! Im posting this from a van in kansas right now, got a space heater but that shit wont work for a bus. Is it full size or what? You can partition it off with big wool blankets like that other dude said and just heat the space youre going to be sitting around in. A little 2 log stove will give you enough heat, theyre pretty affordable.
>>
File: DSC_0221.jpg (919KB, 1300x870px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0221.jpg
919KB, 1300x870px
I have a Camco heater made for RVs in my truck, it's crazy hot, gets my truck to 90f when it's on low. It's made to run inside, no fumes. Goes about 20 hours on my 1.5gal tank
>>
File: Punchable Faces.jpg (679KB, 1626x1386px) Image search: [Google]
Punchable Faces.jpg
679KB, 1626x1386px
>>926451
>>
>>926495
How much you grab it for?
>>
>>926499
I think around $200
>>
>>926501
Thats not too bad. I wish stuff like that was easier to find secondhand. Have you ever had to do maintenance? I run a generator and electric heat/ac for my school bus and it may just be because i went with the cheap chinese generator but ive already had to bust it open and fix on it and ive had it maybe 8 months.
>>
>>926502
Nope, nothing to maintain, it's a simple design
>>
I'm doing it folks. Bought for $1000.
>>
>>926537
I hate this phone. It somehow rotates the pic permanently even after input in on my pc.
This ones probably rotated too.
>>
>>926538
Fuck It last pic
>>
>>926368
Ah, le classic 4chan response
>>
File: rsz_img_20160605_092512.jpg (150KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160605_092512.jpg
150KB, 1328x747px
>>926539
Good luck parking that fuckin thing!

Nah but looks good man.. For 1k what is wrong with it, or did you just manage to find a good deal?
>>
>>926545
A list of things were why it was sold.
Was a transit bus for NC State, drivers didn't like stepping over engine to get to driver's seat/ students were whiney bitches (not warm enough/ not cool enough)/ no sign for stop listings/ leaky roof/ rusted break lines/ and the MAIN reason why it was sold was the steps leading in are just about rusted out.

Craigslist find, fixed breaks in parking lot and drove away same day. Good trans and all disk break so no cdl needed. Engine has a rebuild tag on it so it's just about new.

Let's see if the phone rotates this pic
>>
>>926564
Hey it worked here's another. Got so the chairs out and started de-paneling the walls.
>>
>>926566
Dogo says hey bus thread.
>>
>>926493
Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need your sympathy.

Banking cash, debt free, 2+acres, fenced, well, pump house, 2car garage (full), 3br, 2ba, quads, 'yaks, guns, gear...

Living the dream.
>>
>>923961

i couldnt afford to gas a bus and i cant drive worth a god damn shit so i probably couldnt afford insurance either

also my chevy astro fits in sedan-sized parking lots across the country so im not sure i'd trade that luxury for a bigger vehicle
>>
>>926568
Also came with a wheelchair lift that I hope can lift my motorcycle. The bike is a Yamaha 650 1982 so not very heavy
>>
>>926573
Woops pic got lost
>>
>>926570
Yet you still manage to drop in and talk shit on bus life.. Its okay though anon, i know youre jelly af. Just sell everything you own and start living right, its not hard, i believe in you.
>>
>>926592
Not bus life, just your shit life.

I'm fine with my choices.
>>
>>926597
Its breddy obvious that you are not. Cant see why youd stick around to try and argue with my ass otherwise. Dont worry anon, everything will work out.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160412_232814.jpg (119KB, 581x1033px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160412_232814.jpg
119KB, 581x1033px
>>926576
Looks good man, cant wait to see what you do with it. Im adding bunks this winter as well as re doing the floor and rebuilding the engine and tranny.
>>
>>926101
>>926451
i'd bleach her.
>>
>>926592
>>926602
you're doing the same thing you're accusing him of doing, you delusional retard.
>>
>>926614
Dont reply to shitposts you faggot.
>>
>>926618
I took the bait in a diy blacksmith thread once, a few post in and a mod temp banned me for replying to "a dumbass."

It helped. Gota ignore stupid bait casters.
>>
I am in a van in south baja for the winter.
Dont get a huge bus unless you are in a group . I can get my 4x4 van into some crazy beach camping spots.
Yesterday I had to wait for the tide to go down before I could leave my awesome perch on a rocky outcropping.
I a pretty sure I am living the dream this year.
>>
I can't relate to the Bus Life NZ people so their videos are boring to me.

But I like the German couple from Expedition Happiness.
youtube.com/channel/UCDfAt3KEBpjVWsDkBY_OdAg
>>
Page 9 eh?
>>
I've known few people that did this or lived out of there car. Security is a big issue, more than a few of them had a ton of stuff stolen while /out/.

I lived in my car for a summer and fall quarter. In a small space body/breathing will warm it up. I just had a wool blanket and slept in my driver seat. I cooked out if the trunk with a reasonable little kitchen.
>>
>>929205
>there car
Fuck, they're.
>>
>>929205
I havent had shit stolen ever in the 3 years ive been doing this.
>>
>>929217
>>929205

I plan on my bus being pretty secure. Parking it in non shady areas will probably help. I think posting one of my target sheets from the shooting range might help too, just for the fact it shows I have a gun.
NC' s castle doc applys to RVs too.
>>
>>929606
I like where your head is at, but you might not want to advertise that you have something as valuable as a gun to criminal scum. Did you see the moron who tried to rob a gunstore get ventilated recently?
>>
File: 20161231_113832.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_113832.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I just picked up this Chevy 1500 express van, going to convert it to a nice little camper.
>>
Honestly would rather just do a van. A big bus is a bitch to get around and a nice target for criminals.
>>
>>929615
Natural selection my friend.
Pistol would be on me, any other firearm would be in the smuglers hold.
>>
>>929205
My biggest issue is security.

My truck has just a pvc canopy and a non locking tailgate.
The cab isn't very secure either.
The door can be opened with a screwdriver.
I know it can never be 100% secure, so I try to camouflage things instead.

I keep all of my things in a big metal locker, thats bolted to the floor at the cab end of the bed, and disguised as a strawbale.
Its a farm truck, so straw is not out of place.

I have a thin foam mattress and wool blanket, which I keep folded in a tarp and hanging from the canopy frame.
It looks like a regular tarp.

I've also built plywood storage boxes on each side of the van.
They run the length of the van and the height/ width of the wheel well. I keep cheap stuff in there like clothes.
The floor of the bed is ply lined too.

I have a security alarm with a vibration sensor. It will sound if somebody gets in the truck.

I try to park in people's driveways or property (with their permission) whenever I can.
>>
>>925416
>Not using vintage organic wood

Pleb
>>
>>929644
A van is better. I live out of one.
>>
>>929217
Can I ask what you do in the summer when it gets to hot? Also how do you deal with car repairs
>>
>>929206
Corrected it but still fucked it.
I'll help ya anon.
>Their
>>
>>929644
Are buses and vans even for the same people though?
A bus is more like those coach motorhomes.
>>
In the mid 80s and through the 90s I lived in a 4x4 hitop suburban, followed the seasons for work, and did mostly logging jobs. They would pay me under the table extra because I would stay on site and do maintenance as well. I miss those days.
>>
I've been seriously considering getting an airstream and boondocking.

Not sure how viable of a lifestyle it is long term but I want to see how far $50k would stretch without a regular source of income.
>>
File: 1475513550858.jpg (244KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475513550858.jpg
244KB, 1280x960px
>>929791
I have a generator and a/c. Before i had those id just move to wherever had better weather, and if i had to stay somewhere 100°+ id find a river or creek to hang out in.

>>932251
Tons of yuppies airstream. Like, live in their fancy airstreams year round and travel. Its definitely viable. Ive met a fuck load of em.

>>929644
Short bus>van, why would you choose to never be able to stand up in your home? I got my bus for $500, put another 900 in it so far fixing shit. It fits in a parking stall. Wait for the best deals and get yourselves something worthwhile.

Your fears of getting robbed are unfounded. The world isnt nearly as scary as you think. Ive known way more normies that get their cars broken into than homeless. Shit my bus is barely secure, and i actually have some nice shit, no one has ever fucked with me once. In fact, the worst that has happened was some teenagers getting collateral damage egg hits on my old vehicle while they were egging cars at walmart.

I cant convince you guys its safe, i know, but ive been living this way for years and the bus is my third traveling vehicle. Once you get out and start living it youll see what i mean. Be secure, sure, but dont be scared.
>>
>>932348
I agree with you. People are way too afraid of things.

If I get an airstream will you think I'm a yuppy? I just want to keep a towing vehicle separate from my house and airstreams have a bunch of history so they're easy enough to repair and change.
>>
>>933426
You can have nice things and not be a yuppie. If you do go for an airstream you should tour around a bit and look for ones sitting unused on people's properties. Ive heard of people paying under a grand for one and fixing it up for cheap
>>
>>932251
what exactly is an airstream?
>>
>>933507
Its a private jet
>>
>>933524
Its actually a double decker private superjet
>>
>>933507
I don't know, maybe google could help ya out?
>>
>>933544
yikes no wonder he's afraid of looking like a yuppie
>>
>>926537
Congrats man, way to actually go for it. That looks like a pretty rad bus.
>>
>>926564
Good find.
Those steps are an easy fix too.
>>
I'm a little jelly of the anon who scored a cheap bus. Over here in Ausland all you can really get for that price is a piece of shit Bedford/Comair thing that's got shot rear brakes 99% of the time.

If you're worried about fuel, look into waste vegetable oil. Just don't be a fucking dipshit and don't forget to preheat it, run finer filters and so forth. And only run it in indirect injection diesels...
>>
>>934350
I wanted to get into biofuel but I live in a cold climate and am afraid of gunking the injector in the exact way you describe.
>>
File: 1424148647500.gif (1MB, 255x166px) Image search: [Google]
1424148647500.gif
1MB, 255x166px
>>926576

Dude, best of luck to you.

You should upload pics of it when it's done.
>>
>>933603
kek
>>
>>934373

You can sort of work around it using a preheater. The secret is to start and stop on diesel (to flush the lines) and only use WVO when the engine's up to temperature. Unless you go all out and build one of those straight WVO systems that preheats for you, but... it kinda kills the point of it being an affordable alternative. In the short term, anyway.
>>
>>923961

Called tiny houses.

There's a whole series on HGTV
>>
>>934373
You'll gunk up way more than the injectors. Expect fuel filters, valves, rings and pistons to get gunked up too.

But it will take tens of thousands of miles to actually see damage as a result.

Also, injectors can be cleaned at home and the internals can be somewhat decarbonized by spritzing water into a running engine.

But as other anon said, starting/stopping on petro diesel to warm the engine, and switching to waste oil later is the best idea.

Having a heat exchanger to warm up the waste oil before it hits the injection pump is a good idea too.
>>
File: 1484272514323.jpg (197KB, 1048x1254px) Image search: [Google]
1484272514323.jpg
197KB, 1048x1254px
Small pic dump
>>
File: coffey 3.JPG.jpg (78KB, 922x692px) Image search: [Google]
coffey 3.JPG.jpg
78KB, 922x692px
>>934781
I'm the guy with the red and white transit bus btw
>>
File: rv-towing-regulations-4.jpg (35KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
rv-towing-regulations-4.jpg
35KB, 400x300px
>>934782
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.