[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arizona

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_1482.jpg (724KB, 3553x1987px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1482.jpg
724KB, 3553x1987px
Can someone redpill me on Arizona?

I'm moving from a Southern state in the heart of Dixie. I've never been North of the Mason-Dixon, and I've never been west of Arkansas and Louisiana. I've been camping, hunting, and fishing since I was a boy. I camp almost every weekend in one of the national forests here.

What am I looking at in terms of camping? How tough is it to get food? Usually I'll just hunt some squirrel, catch some fish, or pick some nuts and fruit. I'm guessing that's not going to happen in a desert.
>>
>>923800
You know there is more to AZ than desert right? Im in the mountains. Theres plenty of squirrels, rabbits, deer and elk (not as much as the South). There just isnt any water.
>>
>>923827
I figured. But how much variation is there? Within three hours, I can go to the beach, the mountains, swamps, heavy forests, rivers, etc.
>>
File: sonoran-desert-landscape.jpg (712KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sonoran-desert-landscape.jpg
712KB, 1024x768px
Lived in AZ all my life. Typically you can get from desert (pic related, not OP's pic) to forest, to the one small area by the California border that has sand dunes like OP's pic in 3 hours for any particular stretch.
>>
>>923939
What is there to do?

I'm into hunting, but I heard it's different from my state. I can run to Walmart, pay $10+tax, and have a tag for unlimited squirrel, coyote, hog, varmint, one deer, and one turkey. Someone mentioned a lottery system even for deer there.

How tough is desert camping? Is firewood a problem? Can you camp beside rivers?
>>
>>923952
Rivers? It's a fucking desert.

During the summer it gets hot as balls (115 days 85 degree nights) so it never cools down

Every year millennials die because they don't carry enough gallons water.

Winter has nice moderate temperatures tho.

ATVing is a blast and you can hunt all kinds of fun animals like quails.
>>
>>923957
Isn't the Grand Canyon like a giant river? There's no minor streams to camp by? I just can't imaging that little amount of water.

Damn. I actually do love to hunt quail. I'm going to miss duck hunting though. I live an hour from the duck hunting capitol of the world.
>>
>>923964
Dude use a fucking map for christ sakes. There is water. It's probably not as abundant as you're used to. Yes there's a lottery draw for elk, antelope, and deer. No you can't camp besides water, at least a quarter mile away.
>>
Fuck off, we're dry and full.
>>
>>923967
>can't camp next to water
>have to be lucky to be able to hunt
>no rain
>no crops

Fuck this state
>>
File: IMG_0586.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0586.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>923800
AZfag here, AZ is fucking god-tier for most /out/ related activities. I lived in Phoenix for most of my life, which during summer sucks-ass to be outside for any length of time, but during the winter time its actually very nice to go on hikes and camping.

Phoenix is right in the middle of the Sonoran Desert, which is actually pretty damn green, but it is still desert, and hot as fuck. However, a majority of Arizona doesn't look like that. A shit-ton of it is plains, chapparal, and in the mountains there are pretty amazing coniferous forests. It's a very diverse state.

Currently, I'm living in Flagstaff, which is only a two hour drive from Phoenix and is one of the snowiest cities in the entire continental US, and gets an average of 100.3 inches of snow each year. Camping opportunities are literally everywhere up here, me and my buddies like to just pick random forest roads and drive down them and pick random spots to camp. As long as you are on public land and stay under 14 days this is perfectly legal.

The Mogollon Rim is about an hour-and-a-half away from Phoenix and is a Pine forest with many lakes that is a very popular camping destination. My personal favorite place to go /out/ in AZ is in the White Mountains which is covered in Alpine forest, although it's about a 4 hour drive from Phoenix so that kinda sucks.

Fishing is pretty good if you know where to go, might have to do some 4x4ing to get to really good spots that aren't constantly fished out.

As for hunting, I don't do too much of that so I can't be too much of help. I've heard elk tags are really hard to get, but mule deer comes a lot easier. There are Coues deer populations in the mountains around Tucson (about 2 hours from Phoenix) and those are supposedly very easy to get tags for each year. Small game is literally everywhere.
Overall AZ is a fantastic state to be outdoors in, and I feel it's really overlooked. (Pic-Related, White Mountains this last March from a camping trip)
>>
>>925060
Awesome. This answers everything I was wondering about. Thanks anon!

The more I've been reading about it, the more excited I am to move.
>>
>>923800
>>923827
My best friend moved there during high school :( when his father got a job working on missile guidance systems in Phoenix/Tucson. I went there to visit once. There are more shades of green brown than you could possibly imagine. The "desert" and Grand Canyon is pretty crazy. Many species of cactus are as regal as trees and take as long to mature.

In the valleys bad architecture. bad breast implants and bad entry level sports cars abound. The most fun is to be had on dirtbikes or Baja Bugs/Trucks. Most of AZ is unsustainable - when they have sustained 120F days and the Colorado bypass canal is shut off all of the tract housing will be reclaimed by the sand. Enjoy it while you can.
>>
>>925060
I'm in Flag as well. Where in the white Mountains is this? Now I'm really excited to visit there just from this pic.
>>
File: 20161122_085446.jpg (686KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_085446.jpg
686KB, 2560x1536px
>mfw az i love you
>>
File: 20161231_125751.jpg (1015KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_125751.jpg
1015KB, 2560x1536px
>>925803
>>
File: 20161125_101628.jpg (257KB, 974x541px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_101628.jpg
257KB, 974x541px
>>925805
>>
File: 20161126_172745.jpg (2MB, 2560x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20161126_172745.jpg
2MB, 2560x1200px
>>925807
>>
File: 20161220_072525.jpg (1MB, 2295x1094px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_072525.jpg
1MB, 2295x1094px
>>925808
>>
>>925073
Np man, AZ's pretty awesome if you know where to look, lots of online resources for that. Best of luck!

>>925102
North fork of the White River, very close to Horshoe-Cienega lake. You can camp there but make sure to get a permit online from the White Mountain Apache Tribe since it's on Rez land.
>>
File: Crown King.jpg (251KB, 1195x672px) Image search: [Google]
Crown King.jpg
251KB, 1195x672px
Crown King. About a two hour drive from Phoenix.
>>
>>924014
Freedom state indeed.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.