[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Field recording?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 48

File: kramer.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
kramer.jpg
1B, 486x500px
idk where to put this, did a quick ctrl + f here, on /an/ and /g/, and found nothing.
Any of y'all record sounds while out? if so, what do you use?
I want to start recording ambient sounds, just to collect them. Looking to get a simple recorder-shotgun mic-combo to carry around in some backpack and whip out whenever.

(pic unrelated, I have no images in this computer other than wallpapers)
>>
>>923119
I do. I use a Samson GoMic with my laptop or my phone. Far from ideal but gets the job done til I upgrade. What do you do with the recordings?
>>
>>923142
What do you plan on upgrading to?
I see it as scrapbooking, but slightly less embarrassing.
A friend and I were thinking, also, about using construction-site sounds and stuff to do music.
>>
Tascam DR-05 sounds really good for the price (got mine for a little less than $70). Stereo too, so that's nice. And I never notice it when I strap to my bag.
>>
File: IMGP0431a.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMGP0431a.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923119
Well anon, I'm a professional sound engineer who records /out/ as a hobby. As such I use fairly professional stuff and almost only record ambience in stereo (as opposed to shotgun mic or the like) although sometimes I use a shotgun or my parabolic mic dish.

For what you're asking I would suggest getting a handheld recorder that:
1) has built-in stereo mics
2) has an external mic in (doesn't have to be fancy XLR, just a 1/8" jack is fine).

That way you can record in stereo but also do point-and-shoot with the shotgun mic as you wander around. Assuming you're on a typical "starting-out" budget, I'd recommend something like the Tascam DR-05 (or similar) and something like the Audio-Technica ATR6550 shotgun mic.

>>923142
Sup Sam!
>>
>>923162
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I'd like the external mic mostly to avoid handling noise / my heavy mouth breathing messing up my recordings.

Would you say it's worth it to shill the extra cash for a DR-40?
>>
>>923162
I never knew I wanted to do this till I read this post, nice hobby anon
>>
File: rig.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
rig.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923177
You know, I have a DR-40 and it's fantastic, the fact that the mics do XY and ORTF configurations is way more helpful than some people might think. It has XLR inputs as well but the preamps aren't spectacular so don't expect to be able to really crank the gain with those. The DR-40 DOESN'T have a 1/8" mic-in, it has two XLR/TRS combo jacks, so you'd need either an XLR mic or just get a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter which is easy enough.

The DR-40 also has a lot of handling noise, and †bh cheaper shotgun mics do too, but you get used to it. For ambient recording I would suggest getting yourself a little tripod so you can screw down your DR-05/DR-40/etc and walk away from it.

You know, if you're intersted I'm selling my DR-40 for a deal. It's in perfect working order, I've just upgraded to a better non-handheld recorder so the DR-40 is up fro grabs. Included is a Pelican case for it and a WindTech MM-51 windmuff which is pretty important too. Just a thought. Pic related.

>>923179
Nice man. I could go on an on about it ;)
>>
Samson C01U here. It is winter. There is nothing but the sounds of distant drilling well rigs. However, I have all my recordings from the green time of 2016 & those recordings from some anons in these threads (MJC Recordings) and have been listening to them. they make winter far more bearable.
>>
>>923191
>>923142
Whoops I got you two confused. Sup Sam!
>>
>>923192
lol I still haven't upgraded either. Too many other drains on my money, fishing and gearing up for 2017 gardening. Hopefully, I'll get something ....with stereo.... this summer.

>Swamp After Dark (long version)

Yus.
>>
>>923196
Well at least your money goes to some pretty sweet hobbies and not stupid stuff! Also I saw your pond in some thread recently all frozen-over. I still recognized it, but man, winter's a bitch.

>Swamp After Dark (long version)
Heh yeah I don't know why or how it took me so long to upload that. The first version was short (for Soundcloud) and then I just altogether forgot I had a long version I could put on Youtube. The company that makes my preamps shared that recording on their FB page which was neat :]
>>
>>923200
> winter's a bitch.
Indeed it is.

Yeah, I happened have the 3min version on my PC which was the only way I could even find the tube again. I was just uploading to soundcloud when I saw this thread. Every time I hear your recordings I want to get better equipment. lol
>>
>>923188
>the fact that the mics do XY and ORTF configurations is way more helpful than some people might think.

Yeah, that's what I liked about it, but I didn't know if it was cool or just a gimmick.
>>
File: raped.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
raped.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923188
>and walk away from it.

Or if you're like me:
Hike 3 miles back to the car,
Drive 30 miles home,
Sleep, get up and work an 8 hour shift then
Go back and retrieve you recorder.

As a coincidence I did a dry run at the state forest
today with my Sony recorder. checking if legs could
make it up the long hill.
Also pic related checking how much damage
the loggers did.
>>
File: at4022.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
at4022.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923204
>Every time I hear your recordings I want to get better equipment. lol
Well I must now say things are gonna be off the hook starting very soon. I've got a new recorder that's far superior, and new mics that are far far superior. Finally got the cash togeher for a major major upgrade. No recordings with them yet though, being winter and all. And these nice mics don't like the freezing cold as they're very sensitive. In a couple weeks I'll be in the southern hemisphere though, hopefully recording the fuck out of the jungles and scrub.
>>
File: 1481018672760.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1481018672760.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>923209
>hopefully recording the fuck out of the jungles and scrub.
>>
>>923207
Fuuug you think the batteries will last long enough in the cold?
>>
File: WGI_0098.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
WGI_0098.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923213
>in the cold?
No the last time i pulled that stunt was in early Nov
and batteries only lasted 17 hours. it started raining when
I was still a mile away from the recorder
In the warmest weather I can get up to 23 hours
>>
>>923220
That your pic digr? Absolute madman.
>>
File: img-thing_out.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
img-thing_out.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923225
>>
File: DSC02762.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC02762.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923224
Yep, it was cool seeing this thread after doing my little hike today
a little miffed at all the logging they did this year
>>
>>923229
Yeah they logged in a state forest near me 2-3 years ago. Built a big logging road right through one of my favorite spots and turned the whole hill into mud. It's part of the deal with state land but I'd rather they didn't.
>NIMBY
>>
ZOOM senpai represent.

Got myself a H5 for a bargain on eBay. Taken it to the Barringtons a few times to hear the sights, but haven't been able to stay for long. I intend to do a few stakeouts up there with it.

if you do end up getting a H5, H6 or anything with swappable mics, I'd recommend getting a shotgun if you want to record a specific sound, I've done a few lyrebirds with mine but there's a lot of ambient noise to deal with. And me whistling to the lyrebirds to teach them tricks.

Also +1 to getting a tripod. You can pay out of the ass for a recorder or cam, and you'll still get handling noise from it if you're not careful (mini tripods are handy to set up a scene quickly, or improvise as a handle). Suspension helps, but it increasingly becomes a case of lugging around a sound lab.

Pic related, took it not far from one of my recording spots. The Corker Trail is great (albeit steep) and I'd recommend doing it if you're in the area. Just bring a shiteload of water and prepare to camp up the top if you're determined to do it completely.
>>
File: Angry Chin.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Angry Chin.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923233
>logged in a state forest

I lost and entire area due to that shit. Now there's nothing but multiflora rose and shitty pines. It was all giant ass oaks, maples, and pawpaws with no undergrowth before that shit. I don't even go there now. It won't be "restored" for at least 50 years.
>>
>>923385
Sad times man. I got some billionaire who just bought my childhood forest to demolish it and they're building a sea of McMansia, so don't even get me started!

Here's a recording of them hammering away up there. I went out to try and record some light rain on my tarp with some comfy forest ambience, and a then realized a couple thousand feel away they were building. Ugh.

https://clyp.it/ve3occ3l
>>
>>923744
>McMansia

My view, from the window I'm sitting at is now obstructed by a McMansion. It is a fugly 2x4 frame with 1 layer of brick over it, 4 stories high topped with asphalt shingles. They have like 6 dust to dawn lights and spots lights shining on the outside of the house all night long. There are no other neighbors for 4 miles. They had to build next to me. I could fit my house in just one of its garages.
>>
>>923752
Look up "block busting". These McMansion developments are basically a 21st century version of killing neighborhoods and gobbling-up the real estate from under them.
>>
>>923754
Well, they are rednecks, so it sorta counts.
>>
File: DSC02593.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC02593.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923744
I'm surprised to see the jecklin disk so close to the tarp. My "Zing" has 8 foot long poles and the manfrotto's only 6 inches high (pic rel) the root square law should have saved me last July but I got a wall of white noise anyway.
>>
>>923871
>wall of white noise
From the rain hitting the tarp or from sound reflecting from the canopy (i.e. the seashell effect)? When I had the Jecklin setup it was barely sprinkling out, and the tarp over it wasn't concave at all. Although it does have a weird stifled sound under there anyway, just hard to tell unless you listen to it away from the tarp to compare.
>>
File: DSC02603.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC02603.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>924065
I was thinking of the inverse square law. Greater separation of the mic and tarp might reduce the sound of individual raindrops. But when the cloud burst over my zing there was a deafening roar after all. Seashell reflection probably occurred also
>>
File: IMGP0523.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMGP0523.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>924183
Ahh yes well that shit can definitely be louder'n horsefuck. I was sitting under that tarp with a friend during a real torrent in October and it was so loud under there that we had to text each other to communicate.
>>
I got pic related a couple years ago and it works well, but I want to get something with decent sound quality that I can toss in a pack or in my jacket and not worry about it breaking. Any recs? the DR100mkii has served me well, but it's just a little bulky and the built in mics are just too fragile for what i'd like. My unit also gets XLRs stuck in it all the time which isn't a plus either. Any recs would be appreciated.
>>
File: Collage_Fotor.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Collage_Fotor.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>924768
Those DR-100s are really cool and omni mics tend to sound a lot nicer than directional mics, but it always blew my mind that they have the mics that close together. Wit such a minimal arrival time difference and level difference between the mics it's not a super immersive stereo image. It works and uses the mass of the recorder to its benefit but it's an interesting design.

I don't know what to suggest that can really take much of a beating. Any of these portable recorders have delicate mics. The DR-40 has metal bars that protect the mics when in storage I guess, but otherwise they are rather delicate as well. Dunno brah. Mor expensive/cache brands like Sony or Marantz might have some more rugged options but you gotta pay for that!
>>
>>924777
Thanks for the tips. I think the recorder I dream of either doesn't exist or is very expensive. I'll stick with my Dr100 for now.
Also impressive trips
>>
>>923209
You finally got those Rodes MJC?
>>
>>926129
No bruv I did better! I got a pair of AT4022s.

Cons: No switchable capsules.
Pros: Specs are freakin off the charts, like DPA-tier.

They are very sensitive, so they don't do well in the cold or high humidity, but that's ok. My old, greatly inferior MXL 603 workhorses can actually handle the extremes pretty well without much risk.
>>
>>926143
Grats lad, you did good. Must have been a damn fat paycheck. What's your new recorder then?
>>
File: IMGP0846.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMGP0846.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>926152
Well I did some contract work for a place and they pay well, and I *really* wanted to upgrade before my travels.

For the recorder I got the Tascam DR-70D. I was skeptical (the price seemed too good to be true) but it's fucking amazing. I don't need to lug around my external preamps and phantom power anymore because the preamps in this thing are just so good. Plus with the tripod mounts on the top and bottom the whole rig is so compact now. Really chuffed over the new setup. I really don't want/need another upgrade ever at this point. Unless I want to start doing multichannel surround...

(pic is with the old mics but the new recorder)
>>
>>926162
Yeah, i've been eyeing it for a bit even if I don't have the dough, and all this time I've been saying to myself, "It can't be that good, can it? There has to be a catch?" Does it really offer good preamps on 4 combo XLRs with no drawbacks?
I've been wondering too, why did you burden yourself with fetheads and an external psu when you could just have bought a pair of Fethad Phantoms? I think I'm going to get a pair myself.
>>
>>926174
Honestly the preamps are just as good (or better) than the Fetheads. I tested the rig with and without the Fetheads and for the same gain I got as good or better SN. I couldn't believe it. Seems to put-out phantom at proper specs too. Also it has a nice 1/8" stereo input (with or without plug-in power) so i can use my binaural in-ear mics with it too, which is super fun. The preamps are designed to run on 4 gain levels and the trim knobs allow you to turn down (to the point of fully shutting-off) the level from there. So istead of wasting money on continuous gain preamps they went right for the best performance with active gain steps and passive trim.

I compared the preamps with my USB interfaces (Akai EIE pro and M-Audio M-Track) as well as my "nice" mic preamps (VTB-1) and they're pretty much as good, at least in terms of SN. Ran some sweeps and they're basically flat as well all the way up.

Also the Fetheads were for my ribbon and dynamic mics, i just repurposed them to use with my condensers because my DR-40 had such lackluster preamps.
>>
>>926196
Well gee fuck, that really leaves me thinking. This thing really is a bargain. When'll we hear it on your yt?
>>
>>926203
Hopefully I'll have a first recording with the new mics in a couple weeks m80. I might get out on the frozen lake for some contact mic recordings before then (I have piezo preamps for those though).
>>
>>926205
Nice nice. Happy hunting lad
>>
>>926208
Thanks mang! Post if you get new stuff I'd like to see/hear!
>>
>>926214
Unfortunately I've been busy with life lately... and the only places where I can go without having to take a day or two off are crowded with manmade noise. but next month I'll be over at the seaside to visit some friends, I'll try getting some nice crashing waves if it's not raining. Maybe have the time to test out the new hydrophone rig if it's finished.
>>
>>926217
>new hydrophone rig
Oooo sounds exciting! Do try!
>>
>>926220
We'll see man. patience.
Excited to hear your new stuff!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
hqdefault.jpg
1B, 486x500px
ßµmp
>>
>>928200
>ßµmp

https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/crows
>>
>>928246
Dem some nice clear crows.
>>
File: IMGP1075.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMGP1075.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Welp m80s, the day has arrived. All packed-up and ready for my (hopefully permanent) move Down Under™.

Pic is my carry-on with most of my recording gear. Eight mics, two hydrophones & preamps, and my multitrack recorder. Tripods, cables, Jecklin disk, etc are all going in checked baggage. I've kind of exhausted my local area here, so I really can't wait to hit it up all these new places and soundscapes.

Wish me luck!

https://youtu.be/gXGxbmvuguM
>>
>>926143
Where can I buy some of the recordings on your Youtube channel, mate? I want to put some on my FiiO so I can focus on my studies without carrying my laptop everywhere
>>
File: clapping-gif7.gif (1B, 486x500px)
clapping-gif7.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>929810
Good luck and update when you have internet connection!
>>
>>931759
Thanks friend! After 36 hours of travel I'm here! It's hot af, but beautiful. No recordings or anything just yet but just in my neighborhood the birds and cicadas and such are screaming 24/7. Can't wait to get out in the bush and get to work!

>>931752
I-idunno. I don't have any online "to buy" options anon. Not really sure.
>>
File: DSC02772.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC02772.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>931752
>can I buy?

i'm not that guy, just an amateur, so my recordings are FREE
and worth it. Like...
>>923220
>it started raining when I was still a mile away from the recorder
>a $780 recorder getting rained on, The Audio:
https://archive.org/details/161108

but wait there's more!
https://archive.org/details/@digrpat#collections
>>
>>932854
Got those. Have you considered going with Omni Mics in a binaural configuration?
>>
File: LS10.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
LS10.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>923119

I have an Olympus LS-10 i bought about 7 years ago. It's awesome so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngD-HCGOmak
>>
>>935954
Aw man dem loons! Nice capture, loons are definitely on my bucket list. So eerie it's amazing.
>>
File: IMGP1078.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMGP1078.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I'm back, with my first recording in the new hemisphere. This one's pretty much innacity actually, but its still pretty /out/. I finally got the cicadas I've been after all year.

https://youtu.be/4fxYMuvcrxw
>>
ßump
>>
>>936147
Wow, those sound so different from the ones I hear in my area. I know all the different emergents have different "songs" too.

Here they are more of a wave of sound that sound somewhat like the rhythm of crashing waves at a sea shore.
http://is2.4chan.org/wsg/1485364911043.webm
>>
>>937561
Very cool man! I think if I get out innabush it'll be more like that with lot more of them, but I'm not sure. These fuckers are so loud I thought the fire alarm was going off in a building next door and it was just a single cicada sitting on a sapling buzzing its face off.

Speaking of coing in waves, this one was kind of magical for me. I setup before the peepers started so I pretty much was recording when the first one begn, and you can hear this wave of them cascade through the swamp and eventually die down again. Was very cool.

https://youtu.be/RTH-Owl-Exw
>>
File: 20140607_102100.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20140607_102100.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>935969

this is my favorite so far. Caught the loons wailing, but also a Barred Owl calling along with them. Pretty common combination at most of my favorite campsites, pic related is the lake from the recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqYDikql84
>>
>>937876
now that's cool shit
>>
File: OG2hHwW.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
OG2hHwW.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>937876
I do sincerely ragret not getting out to Winnipesaukee or Adirondack to record loons before I left the US. Shit, it's so good. :[
>>
bamp
>>
File: H5_Slant2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
H5_Slant2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Got myself a Zoom H5, using it as a good excuse to walk around at night. Tossing up getting a shotgun for it.

Unfortunately it's a bit quiet at the moment, save for crickets and the odd mopoke.
>>
>>940868
Nice m8, a friend of mine (who's a pro) picked a couple of those up and thinks they're great. Whereabouts are ya?
>>
>>940873

'straya. Sort of near Newcastle.

Once I'm done trying to sort shit out with jobs and people I want to spend a few nights up the Barringtons and see what I can find.
>>
>>940874
Nice. I'm stuck down in Syds so I have to go kinda far to get away from planes, trains, and automobiles. Gonna hit Royal National Park for a weekend and hopefully just get out west into the red dirt/scrub. I like it hot because the cicadas really lose their shit but atm it's *too* hot. Plus the ravens and bats aren't as active until it cools down a bit.
>>
Ive dabbled a bit. My goals are also instrument recording oriented, so i sank about 600 usd into this. Still more than entry though.

Tascam dr60d mk 2, came with 2 xlr cords, set of rechargable batts

A anker usb battery, easily 15+ hours with phantom power on

S-87 diy mic kit from microphone-parts dot com. Large diaphram condensor.

Also have some diy piezo contact mics for hydrophones or regular contact mics. Also diy "magnetophone" for grabbing electromagnetic field sounds.
>>
I think this might be interesting to you all:
https://vimeo.com/166214601
>>
>>941671
Ahh yeah I seen this! The guy has an interesting approach.

Also the NPS has been sending people around in all seasons to record the soundscapes of the National Parks for quite some time. I kept trying to find ways to get a jerb doing this but they've already got their people under contract to do all the fun (academics and Phd students mostly).

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/29/483241647/beyond-sightseeing-youll-love-the-sound-of-americas-best-parks
>>
>>941540
Oh yeah I remember you! How are you finding the 60D? I recently got myself a 70D and I'm so damn happy with it. The preamps in the 60mkII/70D are a world better than the older handheld recorders (H4N, DR-40, etc).

Got any recordings you can share?
>>
>>940923
You got transport? The Watagans make for some decent innabush as well without being too noisy, provided you avoid the holiday peak. You get the odd Dash-8 flying overhead sometimes but it's not too bothersome.

I haven't really done more innabush down south. There was a job going in Royal Nasho for track crew that I was going to get but I ended up getting something closer to home, anyway.

Once I get my dollars back I want to get a shotgun for my Zoom and have another crack. The factory XY isn't bad but has to be awfully close to the subject, and fairly noisy even with a sock on it.
>>
>>942637
I actually don't have transport so I'm kinda stuck within train/bus reach or outtings with friends who do have cars. I'll have to remember the Watagans for future reference. Trying to plan a bunch of excursions, starting with the closer/easier ones and eventually going bigger and further away. I hope to end up in Antarctica (or close) at some point!

A shotgun is always a good idea, will completely change what you can do for sure. Just be mindful that the preamps on the Zoom are a bit noisy as well but it's still worthwhile, you'll just have to experiment a bit is all.

I'm going down to Nasho this weekend. The weather's gonna be shit but I'm gonna try and get as much as possible. I have a hydrophone recording planned that I can hardly fucking wait for!
>>
>>942638

If you ever feel mighty keen and want a good leg workout, a leg of the Great North Walk takes you from Teralba station up to the lookouts on the north of the Watagans, but I'd save at least a few days for that. Might be better to plan a trip when a car's handy.

Hydrophones? I'm mad jelly - hope you record some funky things down there!
(and stay hydrated!)
>>
>>942640
>Great North Walk
Noted, thanks again! I have a ton of research to do, there's just so much around this continent. If I can do two proper expeditions a year I'll be pretty happy, hell even one.

As far as the hydrophones go there's no point in recording just normal harbour/bay conditions (unless there's some crazy machinery nearby or something like that) but I will try to record the surf rolling up and down the beach which should be pretty hypnotic. With video especially! Hydrophones are tricky, if I could find a nice swamp or something that's teeming with life it could be really cool though. Here's the only one I've done so far with them, not spectacular but still stirs the imagination because it's recording *inside* something that we could never really hear with our own ears.

https://youtu.be/FoWraigpEVQ
>>
>>942643
The Great North Walk is a heck of a hike. About 250km, the scenic way from Newcastle to Sydney or vice versa. Depending on how long this job I've gotten lasts, I intend to do it once I'm free again.

Also that's a pretty damn neat recording. Off the top of my head I can't think of any good swampy places to go recording, but they're sure to be around here somewhere.
>>
>>942652
Haha well shit there's no chance I'll be making the *whole* hike but I might take a look at the route and see if I can dablle. And yeah for swampy things I might hit QLD or the NT, someday.
>>
File: DSC02719.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC02719.jpg
1B, 486x500px
this weekend looks do-able. longer term: in a month the Marshes and Lake shores will start waking up. gotta draw up a battle plan for this year. recording Nature makes you acutely aware of the seasons. almost brings a tear to my eye thinking about my past efforts and looking ahead.
>>
>>941713
Yeah you have to be a grant chaser for that sort of stuff.
>>
>>941969
Oo 70d bretty sexy. Ill see if i can upload something this weekend.
>>
Hot off the presses! So much going on here, it was triffic!

https://youtu.be/FxoxzbYdOjw

>>943820
Indeed it seems.
>>943891
Yiss
>>
File: RNP_beach.png (1B, 486x500px)
RNP_beach.png
1B, 486x500px
>>944403
And one more new'un. Always nice to find an excuse to hydrophone :]

https://youtu.be/x6TMR1fNITM
>>
File: photo.jpg (95KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
95KB, 900x900px
bump-a-lump
>>
File: WEB_7day_Scripps.jpg (239KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
WEB_7day_Scripps.jpg
239KB, 640x480px
>>943719
bump with soundbyte:

https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/white-tail

weekend recording was pretty unremarkable otherwise.
I left a trail cam in the woods, if the weather improves
I'll take another load of raw chicken and the Sony back there.
>>
>>947149
>https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/white-tail
Well at least you got somethin! I have deer hiss at me all the time but it never happens near the recorder. They legit sound like mountain lions when they're pissed it's kinda fugged up.
>>
File: latest.jpg (175KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
175KB, 1024x819px
don'tchoo fuckin die on me
>>
File: feel_recording.jpg (85KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feel_recording.jpg
85KB, 645x773px
ßump
>>
File: DSC02780.jpg (696KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02780.jpg
696KB, 1382x778px
Awesome weather this weekend and I've been hearing some songbirds lately, gonna make another trip to the coyote den. The trail cam's been /out/ there for 2 weeks. Can't stay over night though cause working tomorrow.
>>
File: 1485766827088.gif (2MB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1485766827088.gif
2MB, 300x375px
>>947167
>deer hiss

You mean snort? I've had them run towards me before when confused and thinking I'm a deer due to what I'm wearing. I'd had them run up to within 5 feet of me like that. You should see their faces when they realize.

The best way to get them on recordings is to setup a feeding station.
>>
File: SpottedOwl.jpg (99KB, 1471x1314px) Image search: [Google]
SpottedOwl.jpg
99KB, 1471x1314px
hey everyone, kind of an odd question for everyone...

Some background: I'm a senior at University doing an internship with the national parks serivce. The project involves developing software models (Wildlife Accouatics' Kaleidoscope) for bioaccoustic monitoring of spotted owls. I'm currently pretty light on training data for my model.

My question is this: does anyone have recordings of spotted owls they could share?

related: any recommendations for resources where I can practice IDing different spotted owls calls?
>>
I've been thinking about getting into field recording for a while now.
I think I'll finally do it
I tbink I might buy the DR-05 as >>923160 recommends. But I'll do some shopping around first.
I'm planning on just setting it up somewhere innawoods, walking away for a few hours then coming back to collect it.
>>
>>953204
Only owl I've ever gotten was a barred owl, so can't help ya on that one. Sounds like a really cool project! I wish i could do work in bioacoustics and geophonics someday.

>>953300
Yeah man the DR-05 is good for that, get a little tripod and a fitted windmuff (this is going to be absolutely essential!). I have a DR-40 kit I don't use anymore that I could have sent you but it's in storage 10,000 miles away now so I can't get at it. DR-05 has the same mics though so it'll sound just as good, they're just in a different configuration from the DR-40. It'll work good though!
>>923188
>>
>>953312
>could have sent you but it's in storage 10,000 miles away now

Not to mention I live in Australia, so that's more postage on top of that.
I'm gonna go shopping around this week perhaps and see if I can find something I like.
So far, I'm getting the idea that a windmuff is essential. Is there any other equipment I'll need for a "first try" ? No extra recording equipment and shit?
(I'm a complete novice, sorry if you're repeating yourself)
>>
File: m001140109_sc7.jpg (14KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
m001140109_sc7.jpg
14KB, 380x380px
>>953364
>Not to mention I live in Australia
I'm in Australia now too anon, but I left my DR-40 on the other side of the planet. Fug I would have loved to help you out.

And nope, I'd say get a small tripod (or a medium one), DON'T get a nice one it doesn't have to hold or control a camera. Just a little pic related is fine. You absolutely need a windmuff, make sure you get the right one that fits your recorder. Also, don't forget to bring headphones so you can listen while you position the recorder and make sure it's all working right. Finally, get yourself a USB battery pack that you can strap or velcro to the tripod. Using AA batteries works fine but it's too expensive. I have a $10 2200mAh USB battery pack that powers my rig for hours, and you just keep recharging it.
>>
>>953369
>I'm in Australia now too anon, but I left my DR-40 on the other side of the planet. Fug I would have loved to help you out.

Fuck, what are you doing in my neck of the woods? I'm in Victoria. What brings you down under?
>doesn't have to hold or control a camera
Ah, very good point. I didn't consider this.
>2200mAh USB battery pack that powers my rig for hours
Luckily I've already got this, and I've just looked at some review videos of the tascam dr-05, it seems a pretty simple set up to run it off a usb battery pack

Going innawoods on Thursday with my gf. I'm holding myself back to not just impulse buy a recorder in time for the trip
>>
>>953375
Well, I've been living here on-and-off for the last decade or so, but just moved-back to do a Masters degree and I think I'm planning on just staying this time. I'm up in Syds. Yeah it'll run fine of the USB battery, like any other USB device. A DR-05 will probably run for like 12 hours on even a cheap one, based on my experience with the DR-40.

As far as a recorder goes, there are a ton of options and I guess it depends what you want/need to do with it. If you just want to use the onboard mics the smaller ones (like the DR-05) are great, if you want a little more versatility or to use external mics someday get a Zoom or a DR-40 or similar. The DR-40 has mics that pivot so it'll do an XY configuration or an ORTF which actually can make a big difference. The Zooms are fantastic as well, and even work as audio interfaces that you can run into your computer if you're into doing that at all. Starting-out I wouldn't pay more than $200 either way, just mho.

Also, recordings on a daytrip can work-out well but generally the most interesting activity happens at dawn, dusk, and sometimes after dark (depending on the season/location). If you're near a river or waterfall or something that's of course great anytime. But even during the day in summer there are enough birds and cicadas and shit to make it interesting and worth doing regardless. Finally, location location location! It's fun to just plant the recorder and hope for incidental luck with cool wildlife or animals, but usually it helps to really seek out (and listen for) the best possible spot.
>>
>>953387
>planning on just staying this time
Where abouts you from?
>run for like 12 hours on even a cheap one
Perfect, I imagine my first few trial runs won't be much longer than an hour and half to three hours.
>depends what you want/need to do with it.
When it comes down to it, I'll mostly be using it for field recordings. On top of that, I'd occasionally use it for recording myself play piano and non-professional recording of my music group (it would only be used to record shit for members who missed out on a weekly practice so they can see what they need to learn. Not for actually publishing)
So right now I'm kinding leaning towards a dr05, and then if I really like it, in the future I'll upgrade to some more expensive equipment.
That being said, I've just listened to some field recordings off a dr05 using the built-in mics and I'm fairly impressed as is.
As for windshields, is ebay/gumtree my best bet? Or just find something in store?

>dawn, dusk, and sometimes after dark
My spine tingles now just thinking of setting up a recorder when I go out early in the morning for a deer hunt.
Setting one up next to a game-trail by the creek. Listening to the deer, wombats, wallabies, kangaroos, wind and the water running past would sound amazing.
>>
File: 1369750698000_857345.jpg (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1369750698000_857345.jpg
63KB, 500x500px
>>953390
I'm from New England USA, overall quite different than here! Yeah the built-in mics are good on pretty much all the stereo recorders these days. So good in fact that upgrading is a pretty big step because the built-in mics on the DR-05/H4N/DR-40/etc are already quite good.

As far as windmuffs go you really have to find the right one that fits. Rycote, Windtech, and Auray are the two brands I know are good that make muffs specifically to fit these recorders. For example, the Auray WRW-H4DR is the one designed to fit the DR-05. Check out the B&H website or Amazon because they're both good for matching-up the right accessories. You can find them on Gumtree or eBay *maybe* but just know you need the right one.
>>
>>953393
>I'm from New England USA, overall quite different than here
I'm glad you like it here. Never been to America, but I'd love to go one day
>built-in mics are good on pretty much all the stereo recorders these days.
I'm starting to get this feel from all the reviews I'm reading. Unless you're planning on recording live music at a super high quality for publishing a disc, or if you want to record a mouse farting 750m away from the mic, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to go for external microphones

As for the windmuffs, I'll take your word on it, I'll make sure to get something brand name rather than just a cheap chinese knock-off.

Thanks for the help mate, good night, hopefully we'll speak soon
>>
File: hi_five.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>953395
Anytime bro! Also you can get cheap Chinese ones just make sure you get one that actually fits your recorder and stays-put. I've made some windmuffs in the past and they aren't quite as awesome as real store-bought ones but they're close. Even cheep Chinese ones would be at least that good. Just know it does a critical job and effects the sound of the mics as well so it *might* be worth looking into a reliable brand just to be safe.

Good bant m8, have a good night yourself!
>>
File: DSC02782.jpg (544KB, 864x486px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02782.jpg
544KB, 864x486px
>>952999

My take so far this weekend looks promising,
a short cut:

https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/my-coyote

I've feed this animal so much raw chicken it is now officially my pet.
The Sony is still out there recording, gonna swap out the batteries and SD card one more time. But with a change of plan.

>hike up long hill to check on recorder
>hear incredible loud mechanical sound
>the loggers are back (Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
>actually, sounds a little bit like migratory water fowl
>sky is empty
>actually, sound is coming from a little pond
>there's no flock of birds at the pond

It must be some frog thing just at that one pond.
Whatever it surely is very ephemeral.
So I plan to move over to that pond and capture it.
>>
>>953933
it's been a really productive weekend and,
since the Sony still /out/ there recording,
it's not over yet.
I'll have around 60 hours of .wav files to review

https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/170219a
>>
>>953933
Oof m8 that is nice!

>>954527
Fantastic!
>60 hours of .wav files to review
Crikey I don't envy that! I get annoyed just having to handle like 4hrs at a time.

Good stuff man!
>>
File: DSC02786.jpg (1MB, 1728x972px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02786.jpg
1MB, 1728x972px
>>954560
Thanks!

>>953933
>capture it

https://archive.org/details/170219_20170221
>>
>>955128
This is really cool man! Everytime spring comes and i try to get the frogs I do ok but I can never get far enough away from traffic or flight paths so there's always a little in the background. Fuckin' east coast problems.

Also, do y'all get vernal pools and spring wildlife this early in the year?? Frogs don't start near me until mid April at least.
>>
File: IMG_0264.png (643KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0264.png
643KB, 640x1136px
>>956876
>this early
I've lived in Indiana most of my life and don't remember a February like this. Last year my first recording was march 15.
>>
>>956923
i-is that little digger??
>>
>>957244
>i-is that little digger?

Yeah me, the year we moved to Indiana.
I remember back then my Dad put his
reel-to-reel tape recorder on a picnic bench
in the back yard with an extension cord
running back inside. He was trying to
record owl calls.
>>
File: lil_mjc.jpg (148KB, 424x604px) Image search: [Google]
lil_mjc.jpg
148KB, 424x604px
>>957527
Ha, that's awesome. My dad used to have a reel-to-reel (that he threw away because it "stopped working"). I would have loved to own that thing.

He was in Viet-fuckin-Nam during the moon landing, and he was stationed at a communication outpost in Bac Lieu and they were able to pickup the transmissions between the moon and mission control and he patched his tape machine into it and recorded it live as it happened. The recorder's gone but he still has the reel. Breddy cool!

This is me the day I watched Space Shuttle Discovery launch in April '85. No idea why I even blurred my face †bh.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.