[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gourmet cooking in the outdoors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

File: FMTVKFQH4AGIUK8.RECT2100.jpg (992KB, 920x739px) Image search: [Google]
FMTVKFQH4AGIUK8.RECT2100.jpg
992KB, 920x739px
/ck/ here. If you had to prepare, cook, and serve the absolute best meal you could make in the outdoors for four, what:

>equipment would you bring
>ingredients you would bring
>dish you would prepare

*all ingredients+equipment must in the trunk of the average sized sedan
>>
>>923070
2 lb ground deer meet
1 large sweet yellow onion
1 package 2 alarm chili mix
1 can tomato sauce

1 10 inch dutch oven
1 Bag of charcoal unless I know I will have wood

Maybe add a second dutch oven for cornbread if I'm truly car camping.
>>
My best car camping meal I ever brought was kabobs. I had teriyaki chicken and then roast beef cubes. I pre-cooked the meat, put the veggies on the sticks raw, skewered them at home, and they were easy as he'll to transport. Each person got to "cook" their own Kabab to their liking, it was interactive, and was the best flavor I've ever had while camping.

I kept them on ice ever night, it was the dinner meal on day two. We can camped, but remotely, so no running water, or amenities.

When you're "roughing it" to any degree, anything hot will taste amazing. Especially if it's been pbjs and hot dogs leading up to it.
>>
>>923070
pan fried blackened pickerel or trout
>>
For me it's fool dinners. Just about any meat, carrots, potatoes, celery then you just wrap all of that in foil and throw it in the campfire coals.
>>
>>923070
Look up a "Scout meal" recipe.
>>
>>923070
for me it's the mcfish , the best /out/ fqst food sandwich
>>
>>923070
ALMAZAN

KITCHEN
>>
File: stop4.png (433KB, 349x505px) Image search: [Google]
stop4.png
433KB, 349x505px
>gourmet cooking
>pre-mixed spices
>>
>>923070
seasoning salt is so plebe tier.
>trunk of a car?????
fucking lame.
>>
>>923128
>needing any seasonings beside salt and pepper
>>
>>923136
Rosemarry, tine, sage, garlic salt, cumin

Lawwwwdy, allow me to pack my spice rack
>>
File: almazan.jpg (99KB, 841x420px) Image search: [Google]
almazan.jpg
99KB, 841x420px
>>923125
>>923070
>>923125

>this
https://youtu.be/THNUC1G7TL4

His videos are seriously addicting and satisfying. Everything prepared outdoors in a campfire.
>>
>>923136
remind me not to eat at your house/camp. If you think salt/pepper are all you need you're straight up an idiot. I very rarely use salt when I cook. So many better options.
>>
>>923146
Remind me not to eat at your house/camp. If you think there is any substitute for the right amount of salt in any recipe you're straight up an idiot. I very rarely use herbs and spices when I took. Only when the dish calls for them.
>>
>>923161

You're a white, single male, ain'tcha?
>>
>>923070
>pic

I SUGGEST BRINGING A KNIFE!

I recommend,

Tools:

Stainless Steel Stock Pot
Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Cast Iron Skillet
Stainless Steel Spatula
Stainless Steel Ladle
Long Stainless Steel Spoon
Hotpad
Old Hickory Butcher Knife
Small Mortar and Pestal

Spices:

Ground Cumin
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Fresh Ginger
Cloves
Oregano
Vanilla Bean
Pink Himalayan Salt

That is all you need. Make a mixture of 1 part Cumin, 1 part Cayenne Pepper Powder, and 2 parts Black Pepper to use as your seasoning.

Ingredients:

Flours (corn, wheat, rice)
Eggs
Meat (fished, trapped, or hunted)
Water
Rice
Berries (bring some if the season isn't in)
Apples
Red Onions
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Butter
Dry Black Beans
Nuts (sourced on site, unless not in season)
Carrots
Garlic
Baking Soda
Cocoa Powder
Yeast
Sugar
Turbinado
Bell Peppers
Hungarian Wax Peppers
Lard
Leafy Greens (sourced on site from wild edibles.)
Fungi (sourced on site, unless the season isn't in)

I'm neglecting a few things, but that's a good start. You can make everything from alcohol to bread. Most everything can fit into a single large stock pot except some veggies and tools.

I'd make venison schnitzel with stir fry veggies, gravy, fresh bread, wild sourced salad (chickweed, lamb's quarter, hairy bittercress, & broadleaf plantain), and brownies with chocolate icing & walnuts. Breakfast can be berry-filled muffins or berry-filled pancakes with vanilla & spice syrup, butter, fried potatoes & onions, and grilled squirrel & peppers basted with ...well I'll stop here, but dinner would include apple pie for dessert...
>>
File: Chin.jpg (44KB, 569x293px) Image search: [Google]
Chin.jpg
44KB, 569x293px
>>923165
Still live with your mother?
Still being "forced" to eat what fixes you?
Do you long for better tasting food?
>>
>>923165
You mean is he somebody with access to fresh clean food which doesn't need to have any off flavours disguised?
>>
>>923172
If you actually cooked you'd know he's correct you McFaggot
>>
File: Angry Chin 3455.jpg (8KB, 146x105px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Chin 3455.jpg
8KB, 146x105px
>>923182
I wrote >>923168 and having to eat shit food back at home is why I now cook like >>923168 all the time. So, I can relate to >>923165 if he thinks all there is to food are salt & pepper. He needs to move out of his parents' house and cook on his own.

>pic unrelated
>>
If going light, in mushroom country, I'd bring some risotto rice (think it's called arborio), some bouillon cubes, an onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oil, parsley, little wedge of parmigiano and lemon (juice). Mushrooms are procure on site.
All of it should (provided you pack it in portion sizes) fit neatly into a little can, all of it cooks nicely in a single frying pan, and it's vegetarian-friendly.
>>
I like getting a flat rock real hot and cooking burgers. I'll take however much ground beef I need, half an onion, a tomato, and a few leaves of lettuce for toppings. For seasoning I usually bring Montreal Steak because that shits good on anything. All the vegetables fit in my billy can and the meat I'll put in a waterproof sack and through it in my bag too. It's nice for an overnight with my friends in the back country.
>>
File: IMG_20170103_081341.jpg (2MB, 3574x2008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170103_081341.jpg
2MB, 3574x2008px
You can cook out almost the same as in. Its just most of the out and general camping comunity lack the cooking skills to cook sonething good (human beings in general). Thats why restaurants are so popular - they dont neglect spices... They use them smart.
Just find a food recipe you like and then addapt your tools to get it done outdoors.
>>
>>923181
>flavours disguised
enhanced
ftfy
>>
File: YFZUC.jpg.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
YFZUC.jpg.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
>>923136
Try this, it's some real gourmet shit. I can attest that it can be prepared without milk as I'm a paramedic and have the time and facilities to expirement on these type of things.
>>
>>923383

>My sides
>>
>>923181
>spices disguise off flavors

They don't. They just end up being spiced off flavors.
>>
>>923383
what a thread, man.
>>
>>923383
Dude. Youre an asset
>>
>>923383
Powdered milk works for me on the trail!
>>
File: 1482541250738.jpg (122KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1482541250738.jpg
122KB, 600x400px
>>923383
I usually pack instant coffee with powdered milk premixed for this reason.

Just use half the packet so you don't get coffee on your noodies.
>>
A fuckload of walleye

Bread crumbs

Misc herbs (basil, oregano ect, doesnt really matter)

Lemon

Ketchup

Nothing better than freshly caught fish cooked in a cast iron pan over a fire. Potatoes make an easy side dish
>>
Depends entirely on what im hunting for, but cant go wrong with potatoes and meat. I always pack a variety of tators when I go /out/
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.