[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Condensation In Bivy Bag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: _CC74B2CC.jpg (81KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
_CC74B2CC.jpg
81KB, 640x640px
Hi, New to posting on 4chan, Basically I'm looking for a workaround on the condesation gathering in my bivy in humid clear nights. I've tried opening a larger gap for airflow, pinning up the bag so its not touching the sleeping bag via pipes. Also tried a facemask to reduce hot air from mouth.

What else can i do?? sorry if this is long, i just like being in a bivy but hate damp
>>
what bivy are you using?
>>
https://www.amazon co.uk/Highlander-Hawk-Bivi-Bag-Olive/dp/B00BQYNNBW/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1069525627&pf_rd_r=BG7KVAK8HK6F2XZJYCP5&pd_rd_wg=rsldx&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B00BQYNNBW&pd_rd_w=VVUAi&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=BG7KVAK8HK6F2XZJYCP5&_encoding=UTF8

this one from amazon
>>
>>922899
I've never been a huge fan of this waterproof ones as I find they don't have alot of breath ability. Are you wearing dry clothes when you go into the bivy? sweat/water in your clothing can make a big difference. Also makin sure you are sleeping in good clothes that have their own vapor barriers are helpful. I read somewhere the human body will put out 500ml-1l of condensation when sleeping. If your bivy pegs down having it good and taught will help it not pool up in undesirable areas. Pretty much the most condensation I get is in the foot area
>>
>>922894
>/Highlander-Hawk-Bivi-Bag

a quick google gives me the hydrostatic head is about 10,000. Perhaps you'd do better with a goretex bivy with a higher HH
>>
>>922894
Sorry, but not much anon. I like bivys, I have three but none of them are perfect.

Here's my take on bivies:

Your best bet is to sleep with it completely open (flap folded down) or even on top of it (use it as a ground sheet of sorts) and have a tarp set up over you. You'll still have condensation issues, but that's the way bivies go.

A foot vent is also nice to have, but the more you add to a bivy, the more you get away from the main idea of one- a simple cheap bit of technology. Although I have a OR advanced bivy, it's the same price and weight as a tent with far less comfort for what was gained in versatility. I find myself using my cheap US Army modular sleep system bivy because it's simple. When I choose to go bivy, I don't want extra shit.

You could also get a dedicated tarp bivy (no water proof top, just bug net) which might be nice, but then you're setting up a tarp every time and may find a ground sheet cheaper and easier to use.
>>
>>922894
>Also tried a facemask to reduce hot air from mouth

...are you putting your head inside the bivy, as in, closing up the face hole bit completely? If you do that, then you'll get wet erry time.
>>
>>922915
I never had a condensation problem with the US Army issued bivy.

Why not just get one of those?
>>
>>922894
Who's the bae, newfriend?
>>
>>922894
on clear nights you could just not use a bivy.

more than likely your bivy sucks, it isa sub par goretex wannabe. or it is dirty. or you are fat. or you are using too much bag.

what it boils down to is there is too much heat inside and not enough escaping. run through that checklist I bet you will find your problem.
>>
>>924241
I have one of those, you misread my stupid long post, I probly shouldn't write so much in the future.

>>924279
dunno about this friendo. I used one for the first 1500mi of my AT thru hike, always was kinda damp in the morning. I'm pretty skinny. It was the OR advanced bivy, so nice goretex. It did get a little dirty, but even when clean it had the same performance.

I think a big part of it boils down to climate- OP is in the UK (at least his bivy was bought from there, is a UK marketed product). I was on the east coast. Both are kinda damp, perpetually moist places.

If I get around to the PCT or west coast hiking, I think a bivy would be a pretty dope option because of how arid parts can be.
>>
>>924517
you are a moron. you admited you hd a real goretex, he doesn't. also, the uk is flat and the current brings the warm air.

but yes, I am sure your experience at 5k on the appalachian is comparable to OP.
>>
>>924525
I mean, if I have real goretex and it still doesn't work, doesn't that imply that it doesn't matter what the bag is made out of?

Also, if the current brings in warm air, that air would be moist- having traveled across the ocean. Therefore, it would be damp. I don't understand what you're getting at here.
>>
>>924241
>I never had a condensation problem with the US Army issued bivy.

brit surplus ones are fine also gortex and light
>>
>>924249
Lindsey Stirling. She's 10/10 but also super Mormon. suxtbh
>>
>>924531
are europoors really so fucking stupid that the idea of condensation eludes them? I know you guys have socialized schools where everyone is smart, but so they just give up when it comes to 5th grade science? since muslims can't understand?
>>
>>924517
Honestly I just stopped reading it when I got to "a foot vent"
>>
>>924525
>the uk is flat

spoken like a true expert... no mountains at all in Scotland

t. Scottish person

>>924606
fuck off back to /pol/

OP, thanks for ignoring my post: >>922913

A HH of 10,000 is shit-tier for a goretex jacket, and MVRT is even more important (as that dictates breathability)

My advice: find a bivy that has a MVRT of at least 15000
>>
>>924639
>oi ya f

duck theuckin cunt! we have small hills in scotland! and also your post about it not being good enough goretex is so wrong let me technically explain why his goretex is bad

fuck the queen and fuck you too.

*dumps tea*
>>
>>924639
Lol, looks liek someone drank the Gore-tex coolaid.
>goretex cures cancer
>goretex will solve your problems
>goretex is your father figure who will never let you down
>goretex and the dupont company loves you and you can rely on goretex and dupont to take care of you

if you're having trouble with goretex, it's your fault and you don't love goretex enough.
>>
Im speaking from just using the US surplus bivy. The biggest thing is don't breath into the bivy. Given that it's water proof, yes it breaths, but not to the extent that if it wasn't there. Also wear dry clothes when getting in. After about day 3-4 I've found you are gonna have to hang it inside out if you want to get rid of it. Doing this everyday after sleeping for an hour fixes it for me. I'm also wearing synthetic clothing that dries relatively well. If you start sweating inside the bivy, lose some clothes. I have nightmares and wake up covered in sweat regards, and this worked for me.
>>
>>922894
try keepin your legs together while sleeping. also helps for the smell.
>>
Hey all, don't get so fancy high tech!

>>922894
Scandinavian-Pro-Tip incomming: Learn how to work with the damn humid, instead of trying to fight it. You can not just stop sweating, and you do it a lot, even in cold! Whenever i use i bivybag, which is rare compared to tents, but i have done it a lot, i use the excellent absorbable ability of wool. It can hide away impressive amounts of water, that's part of the reason it so hyped among many.

You can do that by an old blanket, i once sewed two old blankets to a mid layer bag.

Also, how much waterproofness do you need? I own three bags: A cotton, a some-brand-membrane waterproof, and a new eVent high breath-ability one. the first and the latter are the onle ones i use now, and the first one is the most used. You can do so much to protect yourself from rain and late evening condesation, that a cotton bivybag will do fine, even in something very humid as Denmark and southern Sweden.
>>
d
>>
No point in bivy with modern sub 1kg tents.
>>
Hence the ' i just like being in a bivy '
>>
>>926593
This x 1000.

There is no reason in the year 2017 to use a fucking bivy bag anymore. None.
>>
heres a reason.

low profile, you can lay among bushes, however 'low profile' tents are obvious. Also with a bivy you can pack up in an instant. Tents require fumbling.
>>
>>926621
maybe don't trespass and you won't have to worry abbout it

sorry m8 bivvies are shit and outdated.
>>
>>926593
Those are great for oompa loompas with packs from the lollipop guild. Those tents are just too crowded when you have gear too. Dont give me thay vestibule bullshit either. Unless you are dealing with insane winds and precipitation then maybe the tent is the way to go. Bivy+ Tarp for me all day.
>>
I need help finding a bivy in europe. anyone know good sites?
>>
I use an SOL escape bivvy. These are made from Tyvek14-S, which is like gortex, but better. They're about $30 and lasted me around 100 days before it started showing wear. I'll be replacing it with same.
>>
>>924644
No we have mountains. They're nothing compared to other country's but it's certainly not fucking flat... That's a retarded thing to say so don't get your panties in a twist when I call you out on it

>>924702
Actually I'm a poncho kinda guy mostly, but simple fact is when assessing waterproofing and breathability you want to look at

>hydrostatic head
>RET rating

There's another measure of breathability but I can't remember off hand.

But basically if there's water inside there's either ingress in which case either there's a hole or its not waterproof enough, or its condensation in which case it's not breathable enough.
>>
can you fill a bivy so there is no space once you're in, e.g. with blankets or something to fill space. would that stop condensation?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.