[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping Virgin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

File: mountain-house.jpg (132KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
mountain-house.jpg
132KB, 800x700px
Hey all, pretty new to camping, I know some fundamentals and basic surival but had a few questions.

>Assuming I have no gear, what do I need (my buddies are bringing tents and tarps along with their individual bags)
>What brands do I stick away from
>What is some advice you wish you knew when you first went camping
>How is Mountain House, pic related?
>>
>>922855
This post is pretty general, Anon.

Where are you going, when, and for how long? With how many other people? Campground or backcountry?

Is someone else taking care of all the food, or are you expected to bring along what you'll eat?

Right now, I'd seriously say just go to your local library. They'll probably have a couple books on camping that should get you the basic info.
>>
>>922878

>going to a library instead of googling

ISHYGDDT
>>
I'm guessing you got invited to go car camping. Let them know it's your first time, and ask what you'll need.

If they're going backpacking, let them know you'll pass, and then lurk here for a few months, spend another few months building a kit that fits your needs, and is appropriate for the group you're going with.
>>
>>923075
>let them know you'll pass
Nonsense, let him pack what he thinks he needs and go for it. He will learn the hard way if he missed something important; this kind of lesson is worth a million posts telling him what to do or bring. And it's not like he will die out there, he's with people and it's not some arctic expedition.
>>
>>923096
As someone who has friends who periodically bug me to come on my trips, I'd rather cancel the trip and not go myself than cater to someone underprepared.

"I was too cold the first night, I can't do another"

"my bag is just too heavy, we can't go as far"

"I thought 3 water bottles would be enough for the whole trip."

They're also the kind of people to ask to borrow everything they don't have, and then not treat it with care.

Is he also physically fit enough to haul around 25-50lbs of gear for a distance? Probably not if he's never done it.

If he is asking these questions, he is certainly not ready, and will 100% detract from the groups enjoyment.

Trips like that usually take weeks if not months planning to get a group to go, and sometimes involve obtaining permits.

When I post albums of these types of trips on social media, of course I get the most longing requests to join. It's a hell of an experience.

What I listed is also why I don't invite people who haven't been backpacking to come along.

This also pertains to backpacking, not camping. If it's car camping, yeah, show up with a blanket and learn what you still need. No foul.

I'm guessing you don't really go /out/
>>
Not him but fellow camping noob here. My grandfather owns a lot of land and I want to go and hike back to the brook that flows through it and camp there. How hard do you guys think it would be for a new person to solo camp in the woods by themselves? I figure id just bring some out meal or something for breakfast and maybe some fresh caught fish or squirrel for dinner.

so far all I know I will need is
>sleeping bag/pillow (have a comfy Coleman one but its pretty bulky, would it still work?)
>tent
>camping stove thing that you cook over
>pot/pan. bowl. utensiles
>rifle
>fishing rod
>book

what essentials am I missing
>>
>>923100
>I'm guessing you don't really go /out/
I go /out/, but I almost always go solo. If I had an inexperienced friend who wanted to come, I wouldn't invite him along if I didn't think he was up to it (especially if it was longer than a couple days), and I certainly wouldn't leave it up to him to figure out what to bring. I'd give him an exact inventory that he'd need to have.

>>923112
Bring enough food for all your meals, don't automatically count on catching fish or hunting enough squirrel to eat. It's certainly possible to survive on hunting and fishing, but running out of food and being hungry for a couple days makes for a needlessly miserable experience instead of an enjoyable and relaxing one. Also, is the brook clean or muddy? You'll want to filter and/or purify the water, there are lots of options available so look into it.

If it's like a 2 night trip (you shouldn't really be going for longer on your first time), you really don't need that much gear especially if the weather is supposed to be nice, and there is no real danger if you fuck up. Just pack what you think you need. You'll undoubtedly figure out things you should have brought, and things you should have left at home; it's all part of the experience.
>>
>>923100
>Trips like that usually take weeks if not months planning

I was with you up until here. Unless you are going somewhere that will require permits months in advance you can easily plan and pack for a backpacking trip in under a week. Planning for a permit doesn't involve much more than checking days people are free and phoning the park anyways.
>>
Its easy:

>warm clothes
>waterproof clothes
>spare socks

>cup
>pot
>fork/spoon
>knife

>torch
>water bottle
>lighter

>sleeping bag
>sleeping pad

If your buddies are taking care of shelter then you're sorted.

If you're buying a bag, consider if you sleep warm or cold and purchase accordingly based off COMFORT ratings. Buy once cry once if you think you're gonna be camping a lot a 3 season down bag will see you good for years and years.

Pad can be as basic as a CCF pad. Low tech but works. If you have cash a down pad is the shit.

If you're cooking for yourself, then what kind of trp is it: camp fire every night more chilling, OR, more cover the miles cook by stove camping.

Stove is nice have regardless, but there's lots of options. I use an alcohol stove as it's zero moving parts and lightweight. Gas stoves are easier to cook on.

If you're going out more than 1 day its nice to have a set of camp clothes to sleep in (longjohns do double duty).

>>923112

A pair of unlined leather gloves is nice,
Also tools - axe, knife, saw, crook knife, lots of choices
>>
>>922882
Would my local library tell me what that stands for?
>>
>>923311
If getting a group of friends to align their schedules where everyone has 4+ days off in a row takes only a week, you're in high school.
>>
>>922855
Mtn House is decent, but not amazing. Lots of salt built in, dont add any more. I like spag, lasagna, or spanish rice. If you're really hungry and have a decent set up chicken breasts and mashed is good too.
>>
>>922855

Buy amsteel instead of paracord for your tarp
Don't bother with tents, they're either expensive or bulky, just get a bivy bag and a tarp
Military sleeping bags are the way to go, especially the modular ones
Durable, cheap, light: choose two
Military surplus is awesome for some things, shit for others
It doesn't have to be good weather to go camping
Other people will think you're fucking stupid for wanting to spend time roughing it away from civilization; fuck those people, enjoy it.
Knives and flashlights: two is one and one is none.
Band-aids are a waste of time; duck tape will sort 99% of small cuts.
Always have a backup plan if shit goes wrong (fortunately nothing too bad has happened yet but that's because I've been prepared with stuff like an extra cellphone battery in a ziplock bag).
>>
>>923873
mountain house is absolute shit and unless you are taking dehydrated food on an ultralight backpacking trip, which op is probably not doing for his FIRST TIME EVER CAMPING, it is overpriced garbage.

op. get a tent and a sleeping bag. go sleep outdoors. you are camping.

you dont need a cookset. summer sausage and hard cheese works fine. peanuts and raisins are great. peanutbutter and bread or tortillas are great. you cook at home, right? figure out what keeps and how you can cook on a fire. foil works.

why do you faggots even reply to these retards that say "hey i'm super poor with no gear how do I camp?" if you are just going to suggest 1k worth of gear?

op, go fucking sleep outside. then do it again. eventually you will figure out what you need.
>>
>>924161
>get a bivy bag and a tarp
A decent bivy that won't let water in is going to cost you a fair bit. You can take your chances with milsurp bivys, but they are not guaranteed to still be waterproof and they'll smell like a hobo died in it. Neither is that combo going to be as windproof as a tent.

>tents expensive or bulky
Nigger you can get a cheapo 2-man tent for $40, that weighs 3.5lbs. Keeps the rain out, plenty of space inside to hide your gear, and is much more comfortable to change in. Also keeps the goddamn bugs away, which is a major bonus. Yes, they're heavier than a bivy/tarp combo but 1.5lbs is hardly a crushing weight to bear for the convenience. For OP's purposes, where he isn't doing ultralight backpacking, a tent is a far better option.
>>
As this seems to be a newbie general.
Thinking of gettin Coleman Crestline - 2 L.
Any experience? Is it any good?
>>
>>924303
This person just toughend me 2% more with their words. You sir and or ma'am are now my sensei.
>>
>>924491

Absolute rubbish. I bought a mil-surp bivy for $25, it's waterproof and smelled like brand new.

If you buy a cheapo tent it will last you a season. You can buy a great tarp for the same price and it will last you a lifetime. Plus you won't have to carry around the poles and spend forever setting that bullshit up.
>>
>>925965
>If you buy a cheapo tent it will last you a season
Funny, I spent $25 on my tent and it's lasted me 9 years. And it takes literally 4 minutes to set up, I timed myself.

I mean, it's up to the individual as to their shelter preference, but each method has objective advantages and disadvantages. There is no single best option, it's always contextual.
>>
>>922855

When I was a kid my dad told me to always try to buy things you'll have for your whole life, rather than going cheap and upgrading later. A lot of my early gear was just "good enough" gear I ended up replacing later. That said, don't blow a huge amount of money on elite gear you don't really need. Get yourself a good 3-season bag that fits your needs.
>>
>>926062
>rather than going cheap and upgrading later
This is good advice if you can afford it. But in general it's better to start cheap(ish) when starting something new, especially if you are just trying it out. Not a whole lot of beginners are going to dump over a grand on the hottest ultralight gear just to sleep in the woods for a bit, and that's perfectly understandable.

A side benefit of upgrading later once you get serious is that you have experience with shittier gear, so you know exactly what you want out of your next set. A beginner may not know about these things, and perhaps spend good money on high quality stuff that still doesn't end up having some features they may want in the future.
>>
>>924161
>Buy amsteel instead of paracord for your tarp

bad advise. amsteel is slippery and doesn't compress well = NOT designed for knots.

instead get some thin (3-4mm) static cord, polyester, or dyneema (but with a core) cord if you want fancy

>duck tape will sort 99% of small cuts.

it's called ducT tape.
>>
>>923356
i seriously hope you guys dont do this
>>
If car camping go to walmart, grab a tent, tarp ,air matress, pump, sleeping bag, shit tickets, aluminium foil, and a cast iron pan.

Walk over to the good section and get some fuckin ribeyes, onions, potatos, bell peppers, lawrys season salt and beer.

Congrats, you're ready to camp with your buddies.
>>
>>926381

*food
>>
Unless its more than two nights, camping doesnt really need to be planned that much. Grab whatever you think youre going to need and just roll with it.. youll figure out what you really need by yourself after a couple of trips
>>
>>926416
This.

And remember, "Poor planning and bad decisions make for great stories!"

Who cares if you fuck up? Roll up you wet/broken/muddy/torn/skunked gear and drive to McDonald's. You won't die on an overnighter.
>>
>>925988

Nah I don't lie on the internet either, bro
>>
>>926091

Fucking hell son every fucking time on this board, no matter how you spell it some fagnuts tries to correct it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
>>
>>926833
What am I lying about, the price of my tent, the setup time, or how long I've had it? All of those things are true.
>>
>>923373
>hey take next thursday and friday off we go backpack
>good idea man no problem I have a good job with an employer who respects my work life balance and recognizes that scheduling flexibility is an important part of retaining high performing employees
>>
>>926835
>According to etymologist Jan Freeman, the story that duct tape was originally called duck tape is "quack etymology" that has spread "due to the reach of the Internet and the appeal of a good story" but "remains a statement of faith, not fact." She notes that duct tape is not made from duck tape and there is no known primary-source evidence that it was originally referred to as duck tape. Her research does not show any use of the phrase "duck tape" in World War II and indicates that the earliest documented name for the adhesive product was "duct tape" in 1960. The phrase "duck tape" to refer to an adhesive product does not appear until the 1970s and isn't popularized until the 1980s, after the Duck brand became successful and after the New York Times referred to and defined the product under the name "duct tape" in 1973.[3][30]
>>
File: youcanbuyitatstaples.jpg (31KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
youcanbuyitatstaples.jpg
31KB, 380x380px
>>927079

>you're wasting everyone's time and shitting up the thread
>>
>>926858

I once bought a 25 cent car and it lasted 4 millenia
>>
>>929020

>duck tape is a brand of tape reffered to as duct tape
>>
>>929104
>all kleenex is tissue, but not all tissue is kleenex
>>
>>929021
I did buy a truck for $500 that lasted another 7 years.......but thats for a different thread.
>>
>>922855
>new to camping

Well it depends on where you are and what the weather is like. But generally this is what you need:

>Warm clothing for night
Never underestimate how chilly it can get out there.
>Sleeping bag
obvious. Get one rated a little lower than you're anticipating.
>Sleeping pad
Can be just a simple closed foam cell pad. Easy stuff, helps out with sleeping comfy a ton.
>eating utensils
Noobs can't make them, don't even try or you'll be sad. This includes plates and cups. Load depends on if you're backpacking or car camping.
>Knife
For cutting shit.
>Pack
For storing all aforementioned goodies
>grubadubdub
for putting in your belly.

>What brands to stay away from
If you like camping, stay away from Walmart anything. If you are unsure, it's fine as a low use sorta thing.

>advice I wish I knew when I started
How to layer my clothing properly. There is a HUGE difference in comfort and warmth once you know how to do that. Other than that, there's a ton of advice I could give but really it won't matter and you just have to go out and experience it, level yourself up.

>How is MH
Fucking delicious. Can be a pain in the ass if you're using a fire to boil your water, just because pouring the water out of a scalding botttle / container into a little bag can sometimes prove challenging.

>tl;dr
just go /out/.
>>
>>929107
>>929104

Why do you care so much, nignog?
>>
>>929177
you can like wear gloves anon
>>
>>922855
make sure to own wool pants, socks , sweater
in case your main cloths get wet
>>
>>929193
If you have gloves, then yeah that works out. I made some uhhh... Mistakes a while ago. Burned my hand up real good because I was wearing Polyurethane gloves. Instead I used a shemagh to make a little oven mitt - that worked like a charm.
>>
>>929021
What the fuck do you do with your tents that you destroy them so quickly, jesus christ? I've only been going innawoods around 2-3 times a year with my cheapo tent, but the only damage it has by this point is some tears in the bug screen and a spot in the zipper where you have to fuck with it a little.

I don't understand why you think this is so unbelievable. A tent is not a hard-use item, unless you're going camping in hurricanes or some shit.
>>
>>922855
>>What brands do I stick away from

Zpacks
Sea to Summit
Light my Fire
>>
>>929251
>Sea to Summit
What about them do you not like? If it's the price point, that's valid. I really like their stuff stacks / compression bags. Haven't tried anything else but their collapsable bowl thing looks pretty cool, especially the one you can cook with.
>>
>>922855
You don't need to bring civilization with you. Chances are your first time you're going to bring too much stuff just because you're used to having it at home even if you don't need it and probably won't use it.

Also don't waste money buying shit you don't need. A swiss army knife or 20 dollar folder i's fine and can be used as your food knife too. That titanium spoon is cool but a spoon from your kitchen works fine.

Bring something to insulate yourself from the ground. Your sleeping bag isn't enough, even in summer.

I never did this but I've seen others... stake your tent down properly (wind can send it flying) and don't wait until after it starts raining to get that fly going and prepare for it.
>>
>>922855
Also mountain house is good, but very salty and is a little expensive for the calories. I usually bring 1 or 2 on a trip because an easy to prepare hot meal is amazing when youre tired and have had nothing buy cold food for a day or two. I like the chili mac. The lasagna is good too but I stopped getting it because the cheese is a pain to clean off my utensil when innawoods.
>>
>>929218

>2-3 times per year

I actually use my equipment, that's probably why cheapo shit doesn't last
>>
>>930248
If you didn't bash your shit against rocks and throw it out of airplanes, it would last too. You'd be amazed how long you can make something hold up if you take some care.
>>
>>930310

>cheap
>lightweight
>durable

Pick two
>>
>>930310

>bash your shit against rocks
Car camper detected
>>
File: 20170114_154551.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170114_154551.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>930488
Eat me consumer pos.

1967 sven stove, oc pic related.

I grew up camping.
>>
>>930491
what is that thing on the right? wood stove or gas?

noice kit m80
>>
>>930486
I did. Never said my shit was lightweight.

>>930488
If you're rolling down mountains with your gear, I'd suggest working on your balance and footing first, because camping seems too dangerous for you.
>>
>>926426
>You won't die on an overnighter.

http://alexanderlozada.com/iasip/?Ik9QIGRpZXMgb24gYW4gb3Zlcm5pZ2h0ZXIi
>>
>>926865
Not the guy you were talking to, but that's pretty difficult for your average layperson to do. Myself, being considered necessary staff where I'm employed for a state in the US would be hard-pressed to get two days off in a row. Would I like to? Of course. Is it realistic? Not really.
>>
>>930551
are you sure you cannot find 2 days in a row, given enough time and overwork before it happens?
>>
>>930491

Like, 2 or 3 times per year.
>>
>>930530
>If you're rolling down mountains with your gear

...that was your supposition in the first place, retard.
>>
>>930561
wat
>>
>>930556
It would have to be several weeks in advance that I asked for it. Then, I would have to hope nobody else asked for it too. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory of being considered necessary.
>>
>>930631
EVERY IF = 1 PRAYER

just fucking do it
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.