[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter Camping Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: camping_sled.jpg (52KB, 533x960px) Image search: [Google]
camping_sled.jpg
52KB, 533x960px
Hey guys,
First time doing winter camping, hiked about 3km with a sled and setup a basecamp and spent the night. The area we where in didnt have alot of spruce so shelter was more difficult than anticipated to build. Got down to -20c at night but it wasn't too bad.

Anyone else do winter camping?
>>
>>921723
I've done some haphazard bullshit car winter camping, and there's not much to it except pack a lot more food and warm clothes and shit to burn than you expect.

I'm going out for my first full up winter time backpacking trip in a few weeks. I've been hiking towards the end of fall and the beginning of spring, but never this.

It's going to be in the Shenandoahs so it won't be anything like what you did (no sleds, probly get to 10F at the lowest extreme at night, 40f days) Still excited though.
>>
>>921756
nice, its a pretty fun experience, alot more work than normal camping. What are you doing for shelter?
>>
>>921762
Not sure yet. I might take my REI two man tent, maybe just take my whole US army modular sleep system (would probly supplement the bivy sack with a poncho/tarp). Suggestions? I don't really have or want to spend the $$ on a four season tent.
>>
File: 20161231_171114.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_171114.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Built this for my tent. (Az fag i get really cold really easily) going to test it tomorrow night, hopefully in a light snow.
>>
File: 20161231_171057.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_171057.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>922134
>>
>>922134
>>922135
huh, that's pretty interesting anon. Did you design that yourself? Aren't the candles going to burn out quickly? let us know how it works
>>
>>922138

No there's a ton of youtubes and instructables on these, i just didnt use wood at all and i elevated the tealights to keep heat off the cookie sheet. Im trying to make it as safe as possible for tent use. In theory the tealights should burn 4 hours, which should be enough because of how much I have to piss throughout the night. I'm a car camper that loves his beer kek.
>>
I'm up for it, but this year's winter has been very mild so far.

>>922260
is that your rig? if so would be interested to see a few more pics
>>
>>922265
I wish, eventually i want to build something close to that. Im still rolling tents.
>>
>>922134
>>922135
Curious, what do you do in order to ventilate the tent and prevent carbon monoxide buildup from the burning?
>>
>>922394

It was windy as fuck to the point my tent + rainfly + tarp was still drafty, so I cracked a vent on the door.

>>922138
If it had better, longer lasting candles, with better flames, then tealights it would've worked better. As it was it only took the edge off the cold which is what I expected. It worked really well as a sock and hat dryer and a hand warmer though! It was pouring rain and about 33-35 degrees so it was highly irritating it didnt just start snowing and save me the drip drop noises on my tent.
>>
Low of -18 (F) here tonight, so I do believe I'll sleep inside
>>
File: 20161109_074554.jpg (2MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20161109_074554.jpg
2MB, 1500x1125px
yea winter camping is fun. this was on one of the few snow days we´ve had so far, had some ligth snow that melted as soon as it hit the ground the other day, more please
>>
does anyone have suggestions for what to eat while camping in the cold that you normally wouldnt in the summer?
>>
>>923796
Hot foods.
>>
>>923796

Heavy ass steaks year round.
>>
>>923809
This guy knows what's up
>>
>>922134
What part of AZ? Flagstaff here.
>>
>>923826

Camped in cherry az.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.