[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Waterproofing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

I have a pair of leather Lowa boots and when I got them from the store, he used a wax to waterproof them. I want to do that again, but I can't find actual wax, just the Nikwax spray which is useless. I came across this blog where he uses a wax toilet ring. What do you guys think?

Also, the lip of the boot is coming off. How would I repair that? (Not on the sole, but where it wraps up on the outside in front of your toes.)

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2014/03/best-and-cheapest-way-waterproof-boots
>>
Obenauf's LP
>>
File: mink oil paste02.jpg (122KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
mink oil paste02.jpg
122KB, 500x332px
>>921414
>What do you guys think?
>>
>>921414
The toilet rings work well but keep in mind that useing just wax on leather can dry it out and make it brittle. If you realy need them to be water proof and are to cheap to get a wax oil blend go for it. If just want to shine them up then use some olive oil to keep them in good condition.
>>
>>921414
https://www.amazon.com/Sno-Seal-4-oz-Jar/dp/B0045E2SVG
>>
>>921414
any wax will work really.

bees wax is good.
toilet bowl is dirty wax, it can stain, and has contaminants inn it
>>
>>921414
I use sno seal. Pretty much bees wax.
>>
sno seal is best. fix the sole with shoe goo
>>
>>921414
>>921555
>>921689
Wax will stay more on top, provide waterproofness but not nourish the leather. Fat will do that, but not provide as much waterproofness (also too much will weaken the leather).
It's hard to really find the optimal approach here, the variety of substances found in leather care products is absurd, but that's a rough outline.
>>
>>921414
make paste wax with mineral oil and beeswax

melt them together in the microwave, I'd start at about 1 part wax to 2-3 parts oil, let it cool

>>921491
something like that should work
>>
File: tumblr_m9r5cqr0pD1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg (108KB, 960x593px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9r5cqr0pD1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg
108KB, 960x593px
1/4 of beeseax + 3/4 of olive oild. Add propolis if you want. Works great (you can change for more or less beeswax, works quite good)

Or if you can just get Obenauf's
>>
>>921491
This is most excellent. I've near run out now, but I've used this for all leather boots for like 6 years - brilliant.

Wash, dry and coat the boot, let it soak in, repeat - until it ain't taking in no more. Polish - and enjoy the waterproofness. Plain great.
>>
Huberds Shoe Grease. Its pine tar and beeswax, smells like a campfire, and every hunter,hiker,mountain man swears by it. its the only thing we sell as waterproofer at the Shoe Repair Shop I work at.
>>
>>921415
This.

Haven't really tried it on boots, but it works well for knife sheaths.
>>
>>921414
Granger's have their G-Wax. I use it on my Meindl Engadin and it works great.. And drop them by a shoe/book maker he/she should be able to vulcanize it on
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.