[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been watching The Last Alaskans and have to say I wasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Krin_aim.jpg (3MB, 2829x1590px) Image search: [Google]
Krin_aim.jpg
3MB, 2829x1590px
I've been watching The Last Alaskans and have to say I wasn't expecting to like it so much. I knew Heimo from the years, and it was nice seeing him in a show and all but I yeah I got hooked, in part also because of the other guys, like Bob (yeah I know he left).

But anyway my question is: that Selden couple killed a moose preparing for winter, a huge beast (for me, it seems) and then they said they needed some extra 200 salmon or so so they could feed the dogs (8 of them; useless waist of resources and use of animal, imho, anyway).

Is the extra fish really necessary? I, like, doubt their every move cause they are young etc, but that kept me thinking. Are are they wasting resources/ being to "edgy" just because they're in a reality show, or is that really necessary?

Asking in the off chance someone here has that kind of xp. Frost in the grass at 8 a.m. for me is Fimbulwinter.
>>
>>921028
Is that Heimo that same real eccentric goofy guy who was on Vice? Somebody stayed in a tent with him for a bit, might have been Thomas Morton.
>>
>>921088
It's probably him. He's been in books and docs relating to survival and bushcraft since the nineties or so
>>
>>921028
I'll put this in perspective. I live in one of the more northern cities in Canada. Winter here is generally effectively from halloween until about april . I imagine there it's october until may. So surviving off of 200 salmon and one moose for 240 days. For the dogs that's about 1/10 of a salmon per day to eat. That's probably just under a pound per dog per day.

Then if a moose is say 1000lb and if you really use everything you have 800lb to eat... that's about 1.67 lb per person per day for 2 people.

I'd say the dogs are pretty essential if your vehicle is down and you need to get out for some reason. So overall I think their estimates are pretty safe although they might need to augment them here and there. I know it's just a vague estimate and I'm sure there are holes in it but just to show it makes some amount of sense mind you.

You burn about twice the energy moving in deep snow and extreme cold I would guess. I used to eat about twice what I normally do in Northern Canadian bush.
>>
>>921028
200 salmon is not a lot of resources. You're thinking about it from the wrong perspective.

There are 8 dogs, big dogs, when they are working they're pulling a loaded sled over rough ground for hours at a time in sub zero conditions.

The salmon run is also for one year. How many tens of thousand salmon are there? How many bears are there, and how many Salmon do they eat? You're grudging two humans (also animals) a small portion.

If you do the math its' really not that much either. 200 salmon is 1.8 a day, so 1/5 of a salmon for each dog. Doesn't seem so much that way.

Compare it to the alternative, also, a motorised sled. What do you think the carbon footprint of that bad boy is? What do you think the resource impact is from that whole manufacturing process and delivery chain that got that bike to you? What about the upkeep and fuel. Do you think buying petrol is less resource intensive than some fishing?

Seriously dude, perspective. IMO the young couple were doing it the right way - the TRADITIONAL way.

>7/10 bait

>>921088
Yeah dude that's him, a few years earlier.
>>
>>923352
Thought I remembered that name. Never saw that show OP is talking about but I thought it was funny how outgoing and shit that dude is considering how quiet his wife was and the fact that he lives hundreds of miles from anybody else.
>>
>>921028
Why is she holding the rifle like that?
>>
>>923375
shes' scoping for game
>>
>>923448
I'm so glad they brought the (You)'s back.
>>
>>921028
What the fuck do you think they are going to feed their sled dogs? Kibble? Northern territories from Canada to Siberia feed their dogs with fish, it's not even tradition it's just what is easy.
>>
>>923352
Yeah you unironically made me think. I suppose having the dogs is more cost effective than having to buy petrol. My problem was not with carbon footprints or the killing of the poor salmon, per se. I just thought the dogs would make you take more from the land than you needed, and it's also a "fuel" you could use for yourself (the salmon I mean). But your quite right, I understand its easier to put some nets and fish some salmon than do whatever else to go to town, sell and buy petrol. It's just that most of them (at least Heimo) are trappers, so there's allways that money. If I could live without "tool" dogs like that I would.

>>922594
Cool, I got the idea

>>923375
She was adjusting the scope or something like that, fixing the aim

>>923592
My point was NOT having the dogs to feed. But I think I got my answers
>>
>>921028
This is why you don't get to go live the Alaskan dream. the resources are already spoken for. you cannot have a high population count when people are depending on finite natural resources. everywhere you go to try and fish or hunt is already someone else's hunting or fishing spot. they will not like the fact they will have to compete with you for resources. It's not like living in Anchorage and driving down Seward to dip net with 1000 other people then go home. you will not get to live like a real Alaskan without certain rights like a salmon wheel and I'm pritty sure your not going to get the rights to have one.
>>
Pro tip the Nate's in the villages live on frozen pizzas and soda pop. Occasionally they do hunt and fish while they are waiting for their home brew to ferment in 5 gal buckets filled with tomado paste. Also grape soda makes the best mixer. There TV shows are all skripted bullshit the state pays 250k to producers to make Alaska shows to promote tourism.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.