[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Road trips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 15

File: Sketch (2).png (972KB, 1564x845px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch (2).png
972KB, 1564x845px
Going on a road-trip across west USA (via sweden)
Pic related.

>Flying to Sweden from UK
>4 days in Stockholm
>Fly to Denver from Sweden
>Look for car to buy
>Friends land 5 days after
>Hopefully have car
>Start road tripping

I want to hear all about your road-trip shenanigans.
>>
File: IMG_5684.jpg (50KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5684.jpg
50KB, 346x346px
>>920415
Looks straight. Just be careful if you buy any greenery because cops will love pulling over a car full of kids leaving Colorado. But Cali may be fully recreational by the time you get there too, not sure what the timetable is on that. Either way the Mormons in Utah will be real quick to penetrate your asshole if they find something when they tear the car apart.

It will be cool if you have never been to the US. Besides the scenery out there, you will get to see how big and diverse of a country the US is just by driving that western 25%. Get some In-N-Out Burger in Cali, be safe if you come in the winter because the snow can leave you stranded in some of those spots or possibly kill you if you aren't prepared. And don't trust the brown people.
>>
>>920419
We're all gonna' be under 21. So Green and alcohol are out of the question unfortunately.

>In-N-Out burger

I'm hoping for my out of body experience there.

>Winter

We're going in February, so first thing I'm doing is buying a shit tonne of blankets, fire lighters, jumper cables and snow chains.
>>
>>920419
>don't trust brown people

And by that he means if they are even light skinned feather injun kind of brown, if it's not white it's probably not right, or safe.

Racism and stereotypes exsist for a reason.
>>
>>920415
I have no experience out that way, OP. However, your trip looks like it will be a memorable one. Have fun and be safe.
>>
File: europe-us-overlay-map.jpg (82KB, 618x405px) Image search: [Google]
europe-us-overlay-map.jpg
82KB, 618x405px
we're bigger than you think we are

also
>look for car to buy
and register? and insure? and resell when you're done?

also also
>https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving
>http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

all the above bureaucracy is technically easy, but the reg, insurance and resell will be godawful time sinks
>>
>>920478
>Racism and stereotypes exsist for a reason
Finally somebody gets it.

>>920428
Yeah with the snow, just be careful if you haven't driven in it much. Not sure what you get in bongland, but there are plenty of times you should just stay inside if you get hit by a bad storm in the mountains. Hopefully you will get nice weather but it can change quickly with altitude.
>>
File: IMG_2303.jpg (225KB, 1500x1433px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2303.jpg
225KB, 1500x1433px
>>920496
Is that map correct? Jesus, I always thought Britain was at least like the same size as most of the East Coast or at least like NC to Maine.
>>
>>920532
fag
>>
File: Eldeh.jpg (421KB, 2000x1637px) Image search: [Google]
Eldeh.jpg
421KB, 2000x1637px
>>920532
>Is that map correct?
yes
>>
>>920533
Did you know that England is the size of Indiana?

Srsly. Mind Blown.

>>920541
That map hurts my eyes. I never knew that Africa had so many Mexican soccer teams. You learn something new every day.

>the beautiful Greek Isle of Kansas City
>>
Eat at Red Iguana when you stop in SLC, best local mexican food.
>>
>>920415

>hitting vegas twice on the same trip

Man, you're asking to lose some cash with that one. I'd take one route through i80 from SLC to Reno - that way you get more in your trip as well, the north Nevada desert.
>>
I see you're headed up highway 101 on the northern California coast. This is good.

I cannot recommended highly enough a stop in Redwood national / state park. Too many great trails to mention, but a couple of my favorites are fern canyon and skunk cabbage trail. Lots of local legends about sasquatch out skunk cabbage trail-- and the turn to get to the trailhead is literally directly off the highway just past Orick. Fern canyon is harder to get to, but it's the fucking greatest. The trail will take you up a deep creekbed into the wet, coastal, old-growth redwood forest. You have never _ever_ been in any forest like it.

Also, if you're planning on driving west through the mountains on 299, don't do it in the winter. It sometimes gets snowed out and or fucked up by landslides. It's a gorgeous drive, though.

If you're a forager / mushroom hunter, Northern California has a tremendous mushroom season September- December ( and beyond, if you know what you're doing).

Enjoy, man! You're going to have a blast. And, as others have said, don't trust minorities.
>>
File: 1482909800905.jpg (86KB, 660x526px) Image search: [Google]
1482909800905.jpg
86KB, 660x526px
>>920415
>>920633
Couple other thoughts:
Don't mushrooms in redwood national. The mean ol' ranger doesnt like that.

If you run out of money, stop in Arcata or Willows Creek and do some trim work in the autumn. This can be dangerous if you don't have good people sense, street smarts or connections. Easy, well paying, unskilled labor brings a lot of sketchy people. Don't fuck with the junkies or people who hire them.
>>
>>920415
Say hi when you go through Salt Lake
And this guy isn't really accurate.
>>920419
Cops are generally about average here, most people speed, as long as you aren't going too crazy over the limit you'll be fine. And as long as you literally don't have a dead body in the backseat or pot smoke billowing out, you won't have any issues if pulled over.

Take more stops here, it's a great state.
>>
>>920493
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

>>920496
I'm actually an american citizen, so taxing and insurance won't be too big an issue. All my friends have already got their IDPs.

I've got an open ended ticket, so I'm planning on staying with my grandparents till I can sell the car.

>>920545
That's crazy, the size difference is insane.

>>920597
Noted.

>>920603
Not 21, can't gamble either.
We're trying to avoid the 8 hour drive through the dessert across the top of NV..

>>920633
Good to know.

>>920639
>trim work
But what's trim work?

>>920687
I'd like to hit fish lake in UT. Depends on how much time we have when we get there.
>>
File: TRIMMIGRANTS_8033.jpg (170KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
TRIMMIGRANTS_8033.jpg
170KB, 640x429px
>>920723
Trim work is trimming marijuana nugs. In that area it can colloquially refer to any 'paid-in-cash' work on a pot farm.

If you're unaware, a lot of world-class weed is grown illicitly in Northern California. Three of the northern counties grow most of it: Humboldt county (Redwood National is here), Mendocino county, and Trinity County. Together they are known as the 'Emerald Triangle'. If you're driving up Highway 101 in the autumn, it will be inescapable-- tens of thousands of bums, deadheads, and transients find their way to NorCal, trying to make some easy money.

Pic related: the prototypical 'trimmigrant'.
>>
>>920726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagQzV_bBTg

amazing. do they accept europeans aswell?
>>
>>920687
That's lucky the cops are laid back. I just remember a few years back driving from CO back to Chicago a bunch the cops in NE along I80 were brutal tryin to catch people bringing greenery back east.
>>
>>920726
Fuck trimming. It's the worst part about growing pot. I arms hurt just thinking about it.
>>
>>920757
How much can a trimmer make a day?
>>
>>920743
Nice blog, but NE ISN'T UT, now is it?

Dumbass.
>>
>>920415
As your route is both four corners and AZ, I suggest you def hit up Monument Valley after four corners (depending on direction of travel).

You can pitch a tent at Goulding's and hit the self-guided driving tour after sunrise when it warms up. Plan for at least four hours and go slowly. The light can change each view point, depending on the weather, in minutes.

I like the iconic veiw of the East and West Mittens backlit by the sunrise, but nice in a different way when hit by the sunset and looking east.

Sedona after GCNP is also suggested, but I'm biased, I lived in Sedona for 17 years.
>>
>>920789
>blog
Wut? Why so salty?

And it could even be worse going through there but changes over time. Lots of illegal stuff still coming out of Cali goin east so the highway patrol all over is tryin to get on it. Everything was so sketchy with the cops near CA and CO a couple years back that people were going to New England or Michigan since they had medical fairly early. Wasn't even worth the risk trying to do anything big out west.
>>
>>920415
This is a pretty good route but you could cut back on the interstate driving and take some lesser known routes. The drive from SLC to Vegas is quite beautiful on the interstate but there are state highways running in the same direction just to the east that are far more beautiful.
>>
>>920792
Holy crap- that place is beautiful. We are deffo going there.

>>920817
I do want to take more back roads, but time and weather are a big factor in the exact route. February in the west isn't exactly the most forgiving..
>>
>>920784
How much can you trim in a day? You get paid by the pound.

>>920734
Yes. In the last few years it's become and increasingly international shitshow.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (274KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
274KB, 1920x1080px
>>920855
Forgot pic
>>
>>920415
only advice, buy a car that you know will run, go to /o/
cars are different in america, and if youre buying a car in denver you have to look for rust
>>
>>920863
As I said, the iconic view! Near the visitor center. Std ticket ~$35/car? Well worth it. Bring a lunch, have a rez picnic.

The location for many westerns over the decades.

Also... visit Sedona and the West Fork Canyon there.
>>
>>920871
I've been calling used car dealers and crawling craigslist for two months now. I want to get a good feel for what's out there before I land.

I've got a $1,500-1,750 budget for car. I'm thinking old jeep/surburban/subaru outback/Astro. You know a tank on wheels.
>>
>>920888
Gas is gonna hurt with those but I guess with US prices you probably don't even care that much. Other thing is if you buy a $1500 Jeep, don't expect the 4WD or many other systems to work. The engines are strong in most of those trucks but by the time they get that old and that cheap a lot of non-essential stuff will fail. You might be better off looking for a 90s Camry or Accord with fresh tires.

But if you are open to a lot of different car options, you will be able to find something on CL that works. When you are in the US and ready to buy, just post a thread on /o/ and they will find something for you.
>>
File: unsafe area.png (85KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
unsafe area.png
85KB, 270x187px
>>920888
>$1500 jeep
hellooooo electrical problems

>>920871
>go to /o/
sure. and go to /fa/ for winter clothes suggestions, and /fit/ for travel diet suggestions
>mfw people ACTUALLY take advice from anywhere on 4chan
>>
>>920957
If you are too lazy to search CL for a car, /o/ is actually bretty gud. You underestimate how bored some of these people are. They will find like 50 shitboxes and post links and then other anons will tell you what is actually worth checking out.
>>
>>920415
why are you skipping Oregon??
>>
>>920541
woah o.0
>>
>>920998
Ikr? Why the hell are the Puerto Rico Islanders in Saudi Arabia?
>>
>>920999
>brown is brown
>>
File: IMG_1495.jpg (231KB, 1936x968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1495.jpg
231KB, 1936x968px
>>921005
You're not wrong
>>
>>920997
Too many dirty hippies/ homeless and its winter probably
>>
>>920888
>>920415

OP. If ya change ur mind and want to trip the eastern US. land in orlando florida, I got a car you can buy, I'm askin 1,000. And its a highway car and ill disclose all the fuckery and niggery thats been done with the car but for the most of the part it would need a set of tires (not currently fucked just needs some soon), and for you to add gas an it will run good.. But the A/C is dodgy at best (currently going to try to fix it if its something easy.)

>1995 chevy Lumina
No rust at all florida car its whole life, 2 owners, 230k+ miles but the engine and tranny have both been replaced with rebuilt ones about around 180k. Comfy as fuck. Bonus points for being ugly as fuck. Oil and transmission fluid changed like less then 2 weeks ago.

Only down side is since its a 95 its got some weird ass code reader and not easily available anywhere but chevy dealerships.
>>
I'm going to be making a road trip in a few months, just a few days to drive to a wedding and back. I was wondering if you had any recommendations on things to bring or prepare in case of accidents or car troubles. Also, what's the comfiest way of sitting for 8+ hours in a car?
>>
buy a portable car battery charger. they're on amazon for like £35 its like a jumper cable with battery pack that can also charge any device like any other powerpack.

to be comfortable in long drives i usually sleep at the wheel with cruise control on. helps reduce stoppage times
>>
>>920726

Why do they always have a dog ? It happens on this side of the Atlantic too.
>>
It can be very shittty in Wyoming in February
>>
>>922733
Isn't sleeping at the wheel bad?
>>
>>920415
If my house wasn't full in Prescott I'd offer a place to stay. Enjoy northern AZ, it's a nice place. If you're looking for a nice town to chill in, Flagstaff is a great place to visit.
>>
File: Lower_Antelope_Canyon_478.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Lower_Antelope_Canyon_478.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>923083
OP here

I hear Flagstaff wasn't a nice place to visit at all- and bloody cold too. Any good places to eat, see?

While in AZ we're gonna check out antelope canyon (pic related), the giant metor crater, and possibly the grand canyon, but i'm not convinced it'll be worth it..
>>
>>922733
I always sleep at the wheel. It saves on head light fluid as you can turn off your headlights instead of using them at night.
>>
>>920415
There is a lot of interesting stuff around Moab in Utah - more so than along I-15 from Salt Lake to St. George, at any rate. I-15 follows the Wasatch range through Utah, and West of the Wasatch is all basin-and-range stuff that you will see plenty of in Reno. Not sure what sort of a schedule you're on, but it might be worth going into that area hitting Arches / Canyonlands / Dead Horse Point, at a minimum. Doubly so because you'll be missing the Grand Canyon. Since it sounds like you'll have a jeep, you're not going to run out of stuff to do there.
>>
>>920428
Yellowstone in winter is amazing. Most of the normies stay away, so you can actually see the wildlife. It's also interesting to see where the ground is hot enough to melt the snow. The Rocky Mountains (i.e. the eastern third of your loop) are subject to heavy snowfall, though, which can cause roads / park entrances to close unexpectedly. Have some flexibility in this part of your trip. I imagine the same applies in the Sierra Nevada.
>>
>>920415
Since you're going through Flagstaff, AZ why not make a detour and check out the Grand Canyon? Can't be more than a 2 hour drive from your designated route.
>>
File: image.jpg (195KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195KB, 640x1136px
>>923446
Flagstaff is a nice mountain-y town. I've been up there a few times but I couldn't tell you everything about it apart from the fact that it's pretty up there.

The meteor crater outside of Winslow is pretty neat, but it is on private property so you may have to pay to get a decent view/tour.

The Grand Canyon is one of those things you gotta see. I've been and it's just one of those great sights to see in the western U.S. I would strongly urge you to check it out. Pic related: the initial cliff on the south rim
>>
>>920496
>look for car to buy
>and register? and insure? and resell when you're done?

Any advice for a EUfag who wants to buy and insure a car in the US?
It seems you need an address to get insurance, because rates vary by zip code or something like that.
>>
>>920955
I knew I had seen you on /o/
>>
>>923446
Grand canyon is absolutely worth it
>>
>>925616
Its not a secret.
>>
File: IMG_1015.jpg (104KB, 1500x845px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1015.jpg
104KB, 1500x845px
>>925616
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.