[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /BoyScout/ here? It really made me a better person I think.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

Who /BoyScout/ here?

It really made me a better person I think. We used to go camping every month, even in winter. Canoed the boundary waters in MN, multiple long distance backpacking trips, archery, shotgun shooting, color wars, etc.

The uniforms and quasi-military/religious vibe was pretty weird though. I had to hide my powerlevel in high school cause everyone thought scouts were lame as fuck. But there have been dozens of times I've surprised people by knowing knots, or orienteering, or just how to endure cold/shitty conditions.

Any other experiences, good or bad?
>>
>>920205
I know what you mean, OP. And I loved it. In uni now but still an assistant scout master with the local troop and I work at Philmont over the summer.

Anyone /Philstaff/ here?
>>
>>920205
Posting on this board, it's pretty obvious that I liked the outdoors aspect of the scouts, but I kind of really did not like the atmosphere. It was not so much the ideology (being a good person and all that is never a bad thing), but the christian nature (My family is from Japan, but I was born in the US, so we are not Christian) and the somewhat nationalist overtones were a little alienating, especially since all the other boys in the troop were white, corn-fed midwesterners. I liked the people, but I never really felt like part of the group, so I left after becoming a webelos. And found that I generally had a lot more fun with other friends in a somewhat less structured environment where the agenda of the organization didn't really get in the way of our camaraderie. So while I think it's great for many boys, and it can teach a lot of lessons, which I did value, I feel you have to be the right cultural demographic for it to fit right.
>>
>>920205
Lucky for me my parents educated themselves and found out that scout masters were touching the little boys that they were supposed to be mentoring when I was growing up in the 90's.

Now I'm introverted, have low confidence and self-esteem, and wouldn't know what to do if I were ever without the comfort of my modern home and appliances - but hey at least I was never scarred for life by a scout master, right?
>>
>>920206
I wish :( was it hard? Do you work at base camp, or on the trail?
>>
Im scout from mexico, right now in ecuador are celebrating an interamerican jamboree
>>
File: Philmont_Scout_Ranch_bull.png (47KB, 227x186px) Image search: [Google]
Philmont_Scout_Ranch_bull.png
47KB, 227x186px
>>920248
>>920248
>>920248
>>920248
The butt touching is the big thing that creates character.
You think those scoutmasters WANT to touch young boys private bits?
Not on your life, but they know what it takes to create a man from a boy.
>>
Eagle sc/out/s, report!
>>
File: IMG_20160928_234716819_HDR-L.jpg (86KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160928_234716819_HDR-L.jpg
86KB, 338x600px
>>920578
>>
>>920205
OA
Life - had Eagle reqs finished except time and couldn't make it the last 6 months when awesome Scoutmaster left and A-hole sm took over. Still one of the biggest regrets I have not sucking it up for those months.
>>
>>920206
I've done camp staff but not at Philmont. I considered applying last year after the council I used to work for saw massive changes in leadership following a merger (The fuckers decided to outsource summer camp staffing to cut costs). I ended up following my old boss to a different council in another part of the state. I'm considering applying to work there for a summer after I graduate college in a couple years. Any tips for applying? I have an NCS C.O.P.E card so I'd ideally be aiming to do something in that field.

>>920578
8/16/2010 OCC

Anyone else here have a National Camp School card?
>>
Watch this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bKG18Aqle_I&ebc=ANyPxKryygpNgpE1PrOElUoXeO5CaZhye0lD1NzbQaeWwtl9BNdu7EWU6T-F-Hb5urI_r3XB4cw8TK8OXkJkVR_cehN8aDV7TQ
>>
>>920580
mule pls
>>
>>920646
What a fucking dumbass old white man.
He gives a speech like he is singing a country songs.
Why are people from the south so fucking two dimensional?
Even a fucking ceo sounds like plumber.
I am glad middle American white culture is on the way out.
>>
I liked cub scouts until the old pack leader moved and my crazy army veteran stepdad took over and made all the kids do drills and stand to attention, and over the next couple years everyone quit because he was such an asshole
>>
>>920205
Got my eagle in January of '15.

I'd honestly probably be some kind of beta NEET if not for scouting. I started as a cub scout at 6, and I hated it, but my parents made me stay in and by the last few years of Boy Scouts I absolutely loved it. Gave me an appreciation for the outdoors I wouldn't have otherwise.

I hear bad stuff about cuck troops with soccer moms ruining the fun, but my scoutmasters were all vets, some of them former special forces, so things were chill where they needed to be and strict where needed.

It also got me into guns.
>>
File: Rednecks_e503a8_679125.png (76KB, 444x424px) Image search: [Google]
Rednecks_e503a8_679125.png
76KB, 444x424px
>>920686
You'll be sorry when Redneck Jesus comes back, just you wait and see.
>>
Going to Philmont in August as an adult leader, any tips?
>>
>>920686
Wow very tolerant.
>>
Fuck yeah closet eagle here. Had our troop meetings out in the waves while surfing. Did scout camps over the summer and surfing trips to baja california over the winter. In retrospect I wish it was more difficult and hardy. Such a great experience growing up around a bunch of other boys and getting in trouble. In comparison to anything else out there, the only real bastions of developing non-pussies are like football camp (which teaches you how to be an asshole) and I dunno, like, cults? Boy Scouts is dope as hell. I hope they're still around by the time I have kids, and that it's still "NO GIRLS ALLOWED"
>>
>>920686
lol middle american white culture on the way out? You realize that people don't just stop living their lives, and that people make up culture, right? You're making some pretty stark distinctions there, and they're probably pretty negative. Check yourself bro
>>
>>920205
Well the religious and militaristic vibes in the uniform are because the organization was founded by a religious soldier. Thought that was kinda obvious.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the time I spent in scouts. Spent every year I could in it, and took every opportunity i could. Got my eagle scout, and even continued for a year as an adult leader for a year before I went to college.

Without it, I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to do much /out/ing as a kid.
>>
I was in something like the boy scouts, but Mexican version.
I was bully in there, and don't really had friends, but was tjere were i discover how much i love being outdoors.
>>
/eagle/ here. I was pretty lucky since my troop was super lax in terms of atmosphere - just a bunch of dads who didn't care too much about religion or anything like that. And somehow most of the kids around my age weren't weird, they were normal or even popular in school. Guess I got lucky.
>>
>>921232
BSA hasn't been "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" in nearly twenty years. Venturing and Sea Scouts are both Co-ed. And great. And also do everything that matters in scouts.
>>
>>920205
Looking back on it, made me a way better person. Teaches you how to deal with shit, work with people, and a few skills along the way. Gets you into the outdoors in a way few other things do nowadays. Every employer jerks off when they see eagle scout.
>>
>>920686
I thought tolerant liberals didn't mock the way people spoke, looked, or their beliefs?
>>
>>920206
Going to be for the first time this year! Eagled 2 months ago and wrapping up my WFA re-cert.
>>
>>921118
Bring good rain gear, have fun, let the scouts fuck up if they'll learn from it. That's the biggest thing, really - it was life-changing for me because my scoutmaster let us figure things out on our own.

Is your itinerary already picked out? I might be able to give specific pointers, I've been 3 times and am staffing for the first time next year.
>>
File: Diamond Fork trailhead.jpg (126KB, 700x524px) Image search: [Google]
Diamond Fork trailhead.jpg
126KB, 700x524px
>>920617
Cian?

If not, something similar happened to my troop. We had a weird, but competent graybeard for a scoutmaster who made sure we had monthly campouts while he was there, pushed us to keep advancing in the troop, etc. His assistant was a bear of a man who led our more intense, multiday backpacking trips. Those really forced us to bond as a troop, and to learn to survive in the outdoors. They had the added benefit of keeping the soccer moms at bay.

This continued until I had either my star or life, when it was decided that we needed a new scoutmaster. Luckily for us, there was a cubmaster whose son was getting his scout award at the time, so it was decided that he would take over after a stint as ASM. Everything went smoothly during the transition, the troop was the largest and most active it ever was. But once he got into power, it didn't take long before we stopped having monthly campouts. Without those, we lost our sense of purpose, and attendance started to drop. We went from three patrols to two, then stopped having an ASPL, then stopped having APLs. I tried planning campouts with the other boys, but he threatened to kick us out of the troop if we went. He tried to have us march in uniform in a pride parade about the same time. Once his aspie son collected his free eagle (I think he was 13 at the time), our scoutmaster revealed that he was starting a troop sponsored by the local Pride Center. He would be scoutmaster of both, and the two troops would share equipment. Luckily the council shut that down, but the damage was done, and a year and several acrimonious emails later, my troop ceased to exist.

As an epilogue, I got a surprise in the mail when I was 19: an Eagle Scout Mentor pin from a guy who I thought had dropped out of scouts as our troop fell apart. Turns out he just switched to a more functional troop, which he found out about when we attended a jamboree together. Made the years of constant battles with our scoutmaster worth it.
>>
>>920251
>was it hard?
Every night in the scout master's tent
>>
Eagle Scout now ROTC Cadet, I saw that scouts were kinda outdoorsy military in the 3rd grade and asked my parents to sign me up, stayed with it until Eagle. Gave me a big love of the outdoors. I was from a small city troop in Montana and interacting with kids from other areas was tough because suburban troops get kinda gay. Super proud that I'm an Eagle Scout tho.
>>
>>921118
As already pointed out good rain gear is important, especially if you go in July.
Try and work your pack down to less than 45lb. I've seen lots of advisors go with packs far heavier than they need to be. Weather is usually 80s in the day and 40s at night. There should be coffee mix you can grab for free in base so unless you want fancy stuff you don't need to bring your own. You only really need one headlamp per person. Camp chairs are nice (anything to foam pads to crazy creeks). Please stick to the Philmont method and try to have everyone comfortable with their gear, and taking down camp before you go. Try and do as much program as you can. Try and rotate who takes pictures so you have a camera with battery for the whole trek.
>>
File: Philmont 2015 - 39 of 1895.jpg (2MB, 3968x2232px) Image search: [Google]
Philmont 2015 - 39 of 1895.jpg
2MB, 3968x2232px
>>920206
Yep, 4 summers. Pretty Neat/10. Which dept?
>>923326
Congrats, what position?
>>
>>920205
I fondly recall being fondled.
>>
File: Jaunsargi_E_Valaine-45.jpg (128KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
Jaunsargi_E_Valaine-45.jpg
128KB, 800x451px
Heh in my country we dont realy have scouts but we have something simmilar- its called ''Jaunsardze'' (Youth Guard)
They teach us military things, and it includes hiking,skiing and learning how to survive in forest in any weather.
They teach us how to use rifle, first aid, field tactics etc. Basicly guerilla warfare.
We have military uniforms and when we are 18 years old we have practical exam and after that we can join National guard or regular army.

Latvia is the country.
>>
File: img_0945.jpg (174KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
img_0945.jpg
174KB, 1024x683px
>>924752
Its like cadets but its after school thing.
>>
May I tell you guys about the hidden gem in scouting?
Maine High Adventure.
It was amazing, and very awesome thing to do, we canoed 100 miles, saw bears, and had lots of great times. Only 2 other kids went, and 1 was my twin. Still best time of my life
>>
>>920205
I made it to life scout and loved it. made alot of my friends through the scouts, my troop was based out of Catholic church and I wasn't religious growing up so sometimes I felt out of place but everyone in my troop was awesome including the adult leadership.

Probably the best memory of high school years I have was the 50-miler we did between my freshmen-sophomore years. Im mostly a solo /out/ist now and miss the camaraderie of those trips.
fuck next time I visit my parents i'm gonna gather all my patches and merit badges i'm not losing that stuff long as I live
>>
>>925600
*of a
>>
>>925579
I did a week on a sailboat and it was fucking fantastic.
Snorkeling and seafood every day.

My troop also did a high adventure that was a week of canoeing in bumfuck nowhere Canada.
The most memorable part was when we got lost and ended up carrying our canoes up this big ass hill. Only to realize there wasn't any water anywhere nearby so we had to backtrack.
We gave our group the joke Indian name 'Canoe on top of the Mountain' after that
>>
Any of you anons been to Philmont? Me and my Troop did a 52 mile trek last summer. It was one of the best experiences of my life, I can't wait to get to go again next summer!
>>
My troop went to an island with a lighthouse every year at the start of summer vacation, worked on repairing it since it became automated
>>
>>925579
What I would consider a real hidden gem has sadly been lost to the ages. Double HH Ranch. It's a hunting preserve in the New Mexico desert out away from literally anything (Except the VLA radio telescope complex which is across the street and extends onto the property). In the Mid -00s the BSA rented it out for the summers as an overflow for Philmont. Unlike Philmont which has shit like trails and schedules to follow and trails the program they offered was simple. Here's a map of the area a compass, and some food. Show up at the outpost in 3 days for resupply and other activities. Have fun. There was little to no trails in the area so it was all cross country hiking in the New Mexico High Desert. There were wells and designated areas to camp near the wells, but other than that we were free to hike where ever we wanted. The year I went (2009) was the last year they ran program. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation owned the land and wouldn't give the BSA a long term lease or permission to build any structures. (Base camp was literally a bunch of shipping containers) It's a damn shame that they couldn't continue renting the property and I doubt there's anything like it being run right now.
>>
I got kicked out at 13 for some dumb shit

I should also mention that I just moved to this area, was never a scout, and straight up lied and said I was a first class. Forged my scout book with dates and signatures confirming it.
Anyway
>ChadScout by the name of Steven is already a life scout
>tries to boss me around
>really hate this guy
>pushes me one day during football
>catch him popping a squat to rest/stretch
>get behind him
>back up 30 feet and run full speed towards his back
>kick him right in his stupid tailbone
>he starts screaming and crying
And that's how I got kicked out of scouts.
>>
>>920205
Wow this sounds almost exactly like my experience except in Texas. I got my Eagle 2 years ago
>>
>>925700
hopefully you grew out of retarded
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.