[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoor careers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: preview_iii_by_indojo-d5tu6yv.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
preview_iii_by_indojo-d5tu6yv.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
Hey /out/, I know this thread probably gets asked a lot but it's suddenly become very pertinent for me to get a job. What are your recommendations for jobs that I can get so I can be outside? From Indiana, USA, for reference. Would like to stay local, thanks.
>>
Landscaper/grounds keeper would be the easiest to find. Maybe farm hand if you're in a rural area. Those jobs are hard work though.
>>
A conservation officer or a park ranger are pretty /out/ in terms of jobs.
>>
>>920049
>suddenly very pertinent
Implying no current job. Do you have any experience?

>>920115
>park ranger

Great suggestion! Everybody with no education or experience should apply!

Maybe Forest Service Law Enforcement takes neets, also?
>dats purty out
>>
>>920049
I'm studying film-making and photography with a minor in outdoor education, as well as getting some guide training so that I'll be able to go out and shoot nature documentaries. My school is known for having landed students internships with National Geographic.
>>
>>920121
in CA game wardens have to have a college degree.
>>
>>920181
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm. Getting a job as a park ranger is hard as fuck because everyone wants to do that. In Yellowstone you're not even going to be considered unless you're ex military.
>>
>>920228
Or a woman.
Or a minority.
Or a minority woman.
>>
I worked as a summer camp counselor for a few years. It was only only 50 acres, but it still required 2-3 year-round staff to maintain it. I can only assume this number would grow as the camp grows bigger.

A plus is that lodging is usually included.
>>
>>920049
Start off working the floor at a rock climbing gym, checking out gear, managing the front desk, and slowly gain more responsibilities. Pester the fuck out of your supervisors to train you on other stuff like bolting routes, getting training certs, and assisting with excursions where you can pick up more skills. Slowly build a resume cataloguing what you've done on said excursions and what your skills/ responsibilities are.

Blamo, you're a professional outdoor guide.
>>
>>920228
>Getting a job as a park ranger is hard as fuck because everyone wants to do that
Not really, it's just difficult at the big name parks. Plenty of bumfuck nowhere parks and shit in like kentucky or oklahoma you could get a job at easily enough.
>>
>>920228
>>920296
Go to Wrangell St. Ellias up in alaska. It's a fucking hidden gem.
>>
If you're up for travelling you could always be a mercenary, hermit, or errant knight.
>>
>>920763
Can I be a Wizard?
>>
File: cry pepe.png (131KB, 238x241px) Image search: [Google]
cry pepe.png
131KB, 238x241px
>>920232
>tfw spic
>tfw wanted to be a park ranger since I was six
>tfw 26 and it never happened
>mfw it won't
>>
>>920764
Sure, what's stopping you?
>>
>>920779
What is stopping everybody itt from doing what they want?

>three things

>motivation
>physics
>law enforcement

That's it.
>>
>>920763
I want to be an Agent.
>>
File: Maya wrekts Juggs.jpg (1MB, 950x1229px) Image search: [Google]
Maya wrekts Juggs.jpg
1MB, 950x1229px
>>920763
>>920764
>>920826
Medicant "murderhobo" Knight is best knight
>>
DNR, Coast Guard
>>
File: arborist_snag.jpg (197KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
arborist_snag.jpg
197KB, 750x563px
>>920049
Bro- If you're physically up for it, Arborist is the way to go.

These dudes climb trees, use chainsaws, preserve wildlife and help the community.
>>
>>920783
the three things that 4chins don't understand
>>
>>920049
Getting a job is just now very pertinent?
how fucking old are you
get a fucking job ya lazy prick
>>
File: Wrangell St. Elias NP.jpg (654KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Wrangell St. Elias NP.jpg
654KB, 1920x1200px
>>920049
>tfw going to intern as a guide this summer way up in the fucking arctic circle at Wrangell St. Elias National park.
>$450/ month stipend
>Get to stay in a comfy ass building that used to be a motherlode mining powerhouse
>Free trip to anchorage
>Get to go on alpine expeditions, ice climbing trips, and glacier hikes
>Get to learn useful skills and advance my career goals as a guide

There's so much neat shit to do out there anon you just have to go research the heck out of it and find good opportunities. Clearly you spend enough time on your computer already if you browse this site so why not take a look?
>>
File: 20140412_110756.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20140412_110756.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>920270
>professional experience "yeah ive climbed all the gyms in Indiana"
>>920857
Probably the best idea in Indiana. I've been through a bit and unless its DNR or next to Kentucky i wager that's about the best job unless you wanted to work bojank local parks for some reason
>>
>>920232
The hiring committees don't even get to see that information when you apply.
>>
>>921351
>says Shawanda Jackson and Mitoko Chinakawa
>>
>>920049

Wherever there are power lines, there are power line inspectors. Not the guys who climb the poles and work on the hardware, but guys who hike around and document tree and hazard information near high voltage facilities. Sometimes they work for the power companies, but they're usually contracted now for insurance purposes.
>>
>>920049
How often do I have to repeat this?
l a n d s u r v e y o r
>>
>>923319
I do a lot of GIS work as hobby and I have to say I always reconsider changing careers to land surveyor. Hunting down stone walls and finding property corners is fun shit in New England.
>>
I work at a fish hatchery
>>
>>920049
Hoosier National Forest has an apprenticeship being advertised on indeed.com.
>>
>>923319
KY reporting. Must have a minimum of 4 year degree and then "intern" with a licensed land surveyor for a minimum of 6 years.
>>
>>920049
Be outside you say eh?? Well, speaking for the US Army, 11B or anything field artillery and you will have more "field" experience than you could ever desire in twelve lifetimes.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.