[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homelessness general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 21

File: smoky m.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
smoky m.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
Didn't see one and was told this was the board to go to for such matters.

Essentially, I will be homeless within the week and thought it'd be a great opportunity to see the states.

My questions are: what do I need to bring, what is the best way to get from place to place, and generally what should I expect from traveling?
>>
Where are you located anon?

This is a big question because I need to find a place to urinate and my favorite place is on the bums in my city.

I love you.
>>
>>919974
Appalachia

I don't even have to pay you? That would be quite a bargain my friend, I appreciate the offer.
>>
>>919952
Nice Boots and anyway to get around Walking, Riding a bike, short bus rides nothing to long if you really want to explore the country
>>
What are the top 10 cities or states to be a traveling and potentially working hobo?
>>
>>920011
I take it that hitchhiking, train hopping, and walking are the only traveling options for people without money?
>>
>>920339
You'll soon come to realize that not a single hobo on this planet survives without money.
>>
>>919952
browse r/vagabond for a couple hours tbqh
>>
>>920429
By that I meant not much of it, but you have a fair point.

>>920011
Is it really that doable to ride a bike between small towns or does it mainly depend on the area?
>>
>>920445
>By that I meant not much of it, but you have a fair point.
Dude is this your first time actually thinking about traveling the U.S.? Most states are set up with impassible roadways that would be illegal without getting transported with a motor vehicle, and lots of private land that even if you could get past all that you're probably tress passing on private land. You got no idea how important money is unless you get super lucky and meet a lot of sympathetic people.
>>
>>920470
What this person is essentially saying is "Don't get caught." Keep your fire low and move by night. That's all really.
>>
>>919952
I'm homeless all I carry is a sleeping bag. I'm in a desert climate so I do t have to worry much about rain which makes it easier, but when it does rain I find a spot with an overhang. I use cardboard, foam and other things as a bed and insulation.
>>
File: 1471775767154.jpg (1015KB, 3136x4608px) Image search: [Google]
1471775767154.jpg
1015KB, 3136x4608px
>>919952
R A P E V A N
A
P
E
V
A
N
>>
>>919952
I was homeless for six years between phoenix and austin. The lack of rain definitely helps and the cold almost never gets so bad that you could freeze to death. It's best to have a part time job to take care of a handful of expenses that make life infinitely easier but if you're set on travelling, just pay attention to the weather, know that wool insulates when wet, and stay away from alcohol. Alcohol is the difference between a nomad and a bum.
>>
>>920429
If you're at a shelter you'll survive just fine without money.
>>
>>921837
>being this dumb
>>
>>921847
I haven't had money for 3 months and am still alive retard
>>
>>921851
>stays at the homeless shelter
>calls others retarded

nah senpai, you need to gtfo there. shelters are miserable holes full of body bugs and tweakers. you're dumb to stay at one.

not to mention we have stacks out here just waiting for your lazy ass to make a move. don't ever advise anyone to stay at a fucking shelter you pleb.
>>
>>921870
So freezing to death or starvation is better? You're retarded
>>
>>921870
Muh freedom
>>
>>919952
Just go to the rainbow gathering with all the other retarded homeless hippies.
>>
>>920470
>Most states are set up with impassible roadways that would be illegal without getting transported with a motor vehicle
Yeah, you could've simplified that to "most states have highways," but I guess that wouldn't make you look """""intelligent.""""" Highways are not the only way to travel state-to-state, there are also state routes which anyone can travel on and are not toll roads.

>>920429
You've never dumpster-dove, have you? It's impossible to starve in the USA, unless you have a disability that prevents you from getting off your ass.
>>
>>921963
Half of this board are jobless neets only some of don't have parents who will pay for everything
>>
>>921968
nigger what?
>>
what states are best for hoboing?
>>
>>921939
>he thinks a quick free meal means he won't engage in the capitalist system, ever
>>921851
This is an actual lie.
Stop using "money" as a term for societal endearment.
You have and have used money.
>>
I thought this was interesting in the case you need to do the homeless thing and survive freezing temps for an extended period. Basically the same concept as a cat shelter

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/urbansheltercoldweather
>>
>>921851
wow, still a live retard!

goodonya buddy

>what a champ
>>
>>922707
Yeah the governments money's that I've been paying for in taxes since I was born.
>>
>>922842
Again, falsehoods.

Just say it.
"I'm willing to live a lie in order to live off the backs of others."
"I'm willing to pretend I don't incur expenses literally every day. I successfully manage to ignore the fact I have $5 in my pocket at this exact moment to perpetuate something that isn't even a lifestyle fantasy, but a fear of failure mixed with utter laziness."

No money means no money. There have been occurances in your life RECENTLY where you have spent money. You can lie in this thread, but you'll only devolve more within yourself if you manage to convince yourself of yout lies.
>>
>>922901
Are you retarded? Soup kitchen exist that run entirely off community donations. I haven't had or spent a dollor of cash in over 3 months
>>
>>922901
And I don't feel guilty because when I have money Im not a selfish cunt like you and I help people who need it.
>>
About to be homeless here::
someone last thread and said there is a tulsa squat. who do I need to contact to get more specific info and make that happen?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>922926
If I could get that info sooner rather than later that would really be a help as I am going to be out of a living situation in roughly three weeks when eviction happens and need to line up next living situation asap
I can get myself there from where I am currently and have some personal items to contribute to squat if that matters. no cash though
>>
>>922619
California, Arizona, Washington, Oregon
>>
>>922935
You could better info with a 2 minute phone call to just about any government agency then you will on here
>>
>>922924
I don't have much money. But I don't deny that by saying "I have no money".
>>922910
Instead you choose to lie again. This only affects you, not anybody in the thread.

Unless you're making iron and leather yourself 50 miles from civilization, you're spending money.

I don't know why it's so important for people to say they live without money when they obviously do and are straight up in the middle of society.

Does it hurt your pride that you aren't what you say you are? Nah, I doubt it. Chronic lying has been a trait for you since you were a small child.
>>
>>922978
I haven't been paid and don't own any money how is that different from not having money? You're just a retard, learn to context autist
>>
>>922982
But you see. That is an actual lie.

You have amounts of currency. You hypocritical loser.
>>
>be hobo at age 19
>pretend money isnt real
>get fines, get arrests, owe debts from other things
>haha money isnt real!
>angst comes to end
>50k in debt, and retarded from the drugs ive done
>age 23, options consist of suicide, being the wage slave I trashed so badly... but having to do it for much longer than I originally would have, or prison because of the amounts of previous charges and debt that I have
>living the dream
>wow I really worked one over on society
>>
>>922991
god you're stupid
>>
>>922976
I don't want to live in section 8, I hate where I live now anyway, I'm planning on quitting job and going homeless. figure a squat would be a good place to start.
I'm specificially looking for information on the tulsa squat
thanks in advance
helpful replies only please
>>
File: rsz_img_20161027_134032.jpg (1MB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20161027_134032.jpg
1MB, 1494x2656px
>>922935
Sup, friend? Tell me about yourself.

outinnawoods@gmail

>>921875
You keep telling yourself that while eating at your bum feeds, sleeping in your bug ridden bed amongst tweakers, tell yourself im retarded as youre sitting in bum church, and while youre doing your mandatory programs. Ill be out here loving life living it up when youre ready to learn how to do it right. People like you are the kind of folks we dont want giving advice in here, living in shelters is a miserable existence. Im here to show people who are interested how to love their lives instead of being lazy faggots who wont better their situation like you.
>>
So to sum it up thus far:

Don't go to shelters
Don't be a hippy
Accept that you are still a member of society and need money, but some expenses can be avoided or minimized
Many people generally don't like bums
Don't get caught/be careful
Dress and carry supplies for your climate
Diet and hygiene aren't to be ignored
Dumpsters can be helpful

I miss anything so far?
>>
>>923061
Play music, spange it up, get drunk and ride freight trains.

As far as that money shit ignore everything that other dude said hes dumb af desu senpai
>>
>>923054
I sent an email from a throwaway email
>>
>Live in SC
>Going to be homeless soon

This won't be good.
>>
>>923086
Y
>>
>>923003
>if I keep saying it then it becomes true
>>
>>923086
Just go south, it is warm there.

You'll be fine, anon!
>>
Sup. I'm just jumping in this thread because i need to tell someone. I'm about to throw my whole fucking life away to run away with the most amazing girl I've ever met. It's stupid and reckless and completely insane and I can't fucking wait.
>>
On this topic I'm kinda in the same boat. About to lose my apartment in montreal and gonna make a trip out to bc to wait out the winter and find work. I need a CHEAP tent that can be packed very small, i dont care if its just big enough to slide into laying dow. But all the hiking sites only review 500 dollar tents. Any reccomendations?
>>
>>923346
Hoes aint loyle mayne

Letting a woman dictate the course of your life is extremely unwise unless you're under 13 and its ya moms
>>
>>921851
Yet you have access to Internet.

Which means so you have access to money, or just other people's money.

Either way, kill yourself.
>>
>>922995
debters prisons are ILLEGAL IN THE USA
BUUUUUUTTTTT
Every state is allowing it and every state makes money off it

Reason its illegal, is that it's LITERAL SLAVERY, you can NOT make enough money NOT to go into debt WHILE IN the prison itself.
Life in prison instead of that 6 months original sentence because you are charged for the very air you breath.
>>
>>923372
Well, actually you would be in jail because of repeated crimes, also judges dislike repeatedly skipping town on crimes and tickets and court dates, and the debt mostly implies an inability to buy a good lawyer, but yeah, debtors prison too.
>>
>>923369
Even if we end up fucking hating each others guts, I'll be glad I did it.
>>
>>923346
What do you meeeeeean?
>>
>>922995
Whats it like to sit around on 4chan making shit up to try and get some netbums imaginary goat? Or do you just throw how fucking limited your worldview is out first so everyone knows the score?
>>
This is why people don't like you.

Clean up after yourself
>>
File: litter-in-forest.jpg (230KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
litter-in-forest.jpg
230KB, 760x570px
>>923435
>>
Might as well knock out the Appalachian through hike.
>>
>>923370
You're retarded
>>
>>923086
lol try being homeless in Canada you beta faggot
>>
Minivan, throw out the back seat or sleep on the middle seat. Tons of storage.
>>
>>923916

Being homeless in Canada is being homeless on easymode
>>
>>923951
You're retarded. Food and rent is twice the cost then it is in the states not to mention the cold and snow. The shelters even charge you 200 a month.
>>
>>923956
Wew lad you just dont get it. I know this is shitpost general but you really cant see how what you just said is fucking stupid as hell?
>>
>>923959
Explain yourself
>>
>>923963
>food and rent is twice the cost, shelters charge you money to stay
Which makes what difference exactly when you arent paying for any of that anyway? You really tried to say its harder to be homeless because rent is too high. For fucks sake.

>snow and the cold
Great thing about being homeless is you dont have to stay in the snow and the cold. Winters in cold places are a bitch ill give you that but ive taken it to -20f, many more occasions ive been -5-0f. What do you think people did before the entire world decided you have to live in a furnished home with gas/electric heating and cooling?

How hard do you think it is to survive anon?
>>
>>923975
>food prices don't matter
>-20f
>cold

>What do you think people did before the entire world decided you have to live in a furnished home with gas/electric heating and cooling?
They spent all summer gathering wood and made fires. Start a fire in the city and you'll get arrested

You're a literal retard you wouldnt survive 6 hours up here
>>
>>924035
>trying this hard to tell someone who lives outside that living outside is impossible

Best stick to your car camp threads senpai, id hate to trigger you further.

I slept in a dumpster in bc in a blizzard for the record, posting this from the grave.
>>
>>924035
I'm a normie and even I can tell you're a pleb.
>>
>>924035
>buying food
>staying anywhere where you could freeze to death
>muh maple patriotism

Get fucked syrupman
>>
>>924035
Canuckolds think they're hard lol
Your country has literally banned microaggressions punishable by legs repercussions of law, as in your government, the national government has outlawed microaggressions ahahaha
>>
>>922991
what is this? elaborate!
>>
>>924042
BC is the warmest province, try sleeping outside in -45c, oh wait you'd die.
>>924058
So now you admit being homeless in Canada isn't easy?
>>924068
>ur country has literally banned microaggressions

That would be impossible you autistic retard
>>
>>924104
You are so god damned stupid its funny. Why the fuck are you even arguing?
>hurrr no one wants to be outside at -45
No shit you poor simple bastard, what the fuck makes you think anyone is going to stay there? Who said theyre homeless in the fucking tundra? Stupid, stupid faggot.
>>
>>924104
>you wouldnt last in canada! Its too hard core for you bums!
>the food you arent buying is 2 times as expensive and good luck with that rent you arent paying!
>bc doesnt count because its not way out in the frozen wastes!
>you guys are retarded! its so much harder here than other places!
>>
>>924104
>That would be impossible you autistic retard
Yet your northern cuckshed of a country has yet again managed to be on the cutting edge of opening new frontiers in cuckoldry. Go look at your prime ministers TED talk he gave about how he literally watches other men have sexual intercourse with his goblin of a wife for sexual pleasure and then rake yourself you stupid fucking syrupnigger
>>
>>924104
haha bums blasted
>>
>>924255
I'm not even a bum but I'd rather be homeless than a fucking leaf
>>
>>924266
I fucking love this guy
>>
>>923975
I'd like to add to this thing about the cold... you fucking basement virgins know that a huge part of this lifestyle is interacting with other people, right? Why the fuck do you assume that there is no possibility of hitting it off with some homies who'll take you in when it's rough? (not that it even needs to be rough) fuck your lack of perspective, and fuck your unwillingness to accept the truth when it contradicts what you believe.
>>
>>924104
>try sleeping outside in -45c
what retard would be stay in the prairies/winterpeg during the winter

and yes oogling it up in Canada is easy as fuck
>>
>>924104

>implying i couldnt get benefits in canada and live better than your average american
>>
What's so fundamentally wrong with being homeless with money?

Why prefer to brag about how you live off the backs of others? About how others make sacrifices where you won't, and you milk it? Wow, what a winner.

Poor little babies trying to keep pride where it doesn't exist.

Never seen so much mental illness in a thread, though I shouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>924435
haha bums blasted again
>>
>>924282
Because 95% of homeless people are dirty drug addicts or retards
>>
>>924619
that's not very nice anon
>>
>>924619
and you don't think that they hit it off with other dirty drug addicts or retards who like to put them up for a night here and there?

no matter who you are, anon, in this world, whatever niche you're a part of, there are people who've got your back.

syrupnigger.
>>
>>924713
lol homeless people never have your back they're selfish and lazy people that's how they ended up homeless in the first place.
>>
>>924716
beg to differ well at least with punks
t. junkie
>>
>>924716
lol look how good im shitposting momma lol these guys sure are dumb lol
>>
College student here. I want nothing more right now than to get in my truck and go west. I just want to take a break from it all and go on an adventure. "Find myself" if you will. I'm thinking about taking a break from school and actually doing it. Any advice?
>>
>>924839
Do it fgt.
>>
>>924839
Just go for it
>>
About to go homeless myself, 50 miles or so west from DC and about 10 miles from Maryland. What's the most basic advice so I don't starve/die? What's the best way to get food? I have a very small amount of money but I doubt it's enough to keep me alive unless I eat nothing but ramen noodles. I'm assuming the basics would be a
>bag
>sleeping bag
>pot (the cooking kind not the drug)
>a good knife
>warm clothes
>>
>>924920
>find a shelter
>live in the shelter
>get a job and apartment as quickly as possible
>>
>>924926
No
>>
>>924934
Well enjoy freezing/getting stabbed.

Also, you might want to look for any form of income you can find.

Recycling cans, mowing lawns, anything.
>>
>>924920
Seriously, don't be homeless any longer than you have to be. The romantic ideas you have about it are all wrong. You will freeze, starve, and be beaten and robbed by tweakers. I knew a guy in highschool who wound up homeless due to some mental issues he was having, and an even crazier dude wound up decapitating him about 6 months later.
>>
>>924950
Not joking. Guys name was Paul Schrum, Google him if you want. They found "his lower torso."

Bad things happen to homeless people. Don't stay out there any longer than you absolutely have to.
>>
>>924920
You will die on your own. Half the idiots talking shit about shelters mus have never been homeless/broke or still had mommy paying for their food.
>>
>>924920
It is best to try to work and find a place to stay if you are looking to just survive for a bit until you are back on your feet.

If you have no plan on going back into society then dumpster dive for food, sleep somewhere away from people or in some sort of shelter, and try to get somewhere you won't freeze to death.

Work isn't a bad thing even if you plan on staying homeless for a while, but busking can be a decent substitute if you are good.

Your list of basics is pretty much right, I've known people who've started with less. Stay dry, especially in the cold.

Best of luck
>>
>>924920
I would try to get into DC or Baltimore. They can provide greater support and will have more of a system set up for homeless. Jobs are more easily found on foot in these areas and begging will be more fruitful.
>>
File: 438.jpg (48KB, 288x512px) Image search: [Google]
438.jpg
48KB, 288x512px
>>924920
Get the fuck on outta there. Hitch hike southwest, move your ass outta the cold. Fuck whatever you were doing before don't stay there in winter.
You can eat a bunch of different ways
>dumpster dive
Think about it a little and you can have great shit to eat out of the trash, especially now that it's winter. It's like a whole fucking fridge in there.
>foodstamps
Get on these, you use them to not starve to death. Just like they are intended.
>white boxes
Hang out outside restaurants, ask people for their leftovers.
>bum feed
Shelter meals at missions/drop ins/churches, inquire with local home bums.
>food banks
Mostly have shit you gotta prepare but good for some peanut butter and tortillas at least.
>fly a sign
Chill with a food please sign next to wherever the food you want is be it a grocery store, fast food place, gas station whatever. People will feed your ass and give you money. As long as you're not harassing anyone you can get away with this almost anywhere.
Get a steel/ti cup instead of a pot. Other than that you need to be concerned with staying warm at night. Make sure all your shit is good and warm, get a thermarest at walmart for 30 bucks. I would also look at craigslist for dogs. They will keep your ass alive in your sleeping bag in the cold.
As far as money goes just panhandle. If you keep moving along the interstates you will have a steady amount of cash to stack up. People irl arent like the shitposters here. Many many people will help you and give you everything you need. It's one of the best things about this life, you only meet the good folks because all the pricks wait til they get home to shitpost about you on social media rather than say or do anything to you in person.
Stay out of big ass cities, stay away from tweakers and old dudes that look like santa.

If you are wanting to stay put good fuckin luck that is no life to live.
>>
>>925014
Oh yeah and dont listen to shit like this unless you want to have a horrible fuckin time.

I'm not sure if this faggot is shitposting or if he really believes it but big cities and shelters are death. You have the worst time making money because you've just gone to a place with a shitload more poor and homeless people with underfunded and overcrowded public aid and temp jobs that will barely pay your fuckin application fees to all the places youll try and rent thatll reject your ass because you're homeless. Shelters are like daycares run by volunteers and senior shelter bums, full of tweakers disease body bugs and they make you do shit to stay at them which means you have less time to do shit that can actually help you. Just go visit one, ask them if you can volunteer for an hour to mop a floor or some shit and just look the fuck around. If you arent some old broken piece of shit you do not belong at a shelter.
>>
File: 20170105_163523.jpg (848KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170105_163523.jpg
848KB, 3264x2448px
I have two options right now, continue my travellin hobo life where I also visit home sometimes, or go to Cali and join this program where they give me a sweet /out job, but I basically live military style and its a year long obligation. I'll leave with good out skills, a decent wad and some college scholarships. But I wont be able to go where I please which is under the stars with a warm ocean breeze. What do I do hobobros
>>
>>925177
Is there any reason to rush into the Cali program? I mean if you aren't sure about it and can wait on it, give it some time and think it out.

If you need to go now if you want in, give it a try, it is only a year. It's an experience.
>>
>>925183
I have to decide within a day or two. I know its a personal question but was just wondering what people might say.
>>
>>925177
How do you live this hobo life? What measures did you take beforehand and just how minimalist is it?
>>
>>925186
Do the program it's only a year and seems like it has a lot of benefits and you can always go back to hoboing it up afterwards if you want to
>>
>>925177
Smash the state
>>
>>925177
some sort of park warden/ranger training?
>>
>>921851
>havent had money in 3 months
>posting on the internet

lol ok champ
>>
>>925476
Get some new bait (You) rapscallion
>>
>>923086
Promptly engage your local unemployment and other social service offices. SC has plenty of online info. Unemployment is fairly low at the moment. Also check with temp employment agencies.

Devote your life to getting your shit together. Do not imitate white trash, which is the most self-damaging thing poor SCpeeps do. Copy people who kick ass and get shit done.

Look into Pell Grants and Lottery money because many poor, and some homeless, students turn a modest profit going to community college. The Finance folks will help you see what you qualify for since if government aid doesn't flow, they'd be unemployed.
>>
>>924635
It is, however, accurate. Poverty is most often due to bad life choices. Bad life choices relentlessly repeated are the mark of addicts and retards. I ignore their attempts at defending their fail.
>>
>>925177
The joy of poverty, like the joy of work, wears off as you age. If you are smart you can cultivate a fucking career working outdoors in various places and get paid to screw off.

It's an opportunity, it's only a year, and you can just quite and leave the first day if you don't like it.
>>
>>926617
>>926620
>>926626
>/in/
>>
>>926620
Youre gonna ignore me? Perfect, hope you really meant that. This way the thread wont get gummed up with all your jaded bullshit and shelter statistics.

Acting like there is no way out of shitty poverty other than working your way up slowly is immensly damaging. People need to know they have more than one way out. Being homeless does not equal an irresponsible addict begging for change at stop lights in the city, no matter how much you want everyone to know that you think it does. Encouraging people to dig themselves out of poverty is akin to telling a dead man to dig out of his grave. I know that in your eyes even the 40 year old Popeyes GM that worked in the chain for the last 20 years of his life has one up on me, but peoples lives are their own and not everybody can, will, or even wants to do the massive amount of work it takes to pull your shit out of rock bottom on the poverty scale. You exibit a massive lack of perspective and people like you are the whole reason the system doesnt work in the first place. You assume everyone is capable of the exact same things, if i did it they can do it and theyre just worthless junkies otherwise etc. You dont account for personal situations, why would you? You worked hard for your money, they can too!

The reality is that staring down the wall of poverty from the bottom is like staring at Everest. Youre looking at years and years of wage slavery, schooling, things that will eat up your life just so you can keep the hope alive that maybe at the end itll all have been worth it. What do you think a 20 something with no prospects or family, who is about to be homeless, staring at that wall feels like? Likely sitting in their home town, never been anywhere, worked a handful of jobs since high school. Made some bad choices like everyone sure, but who are you to act like you know what theyve been through and peg that worthless label on their heads?
>>
>>926671
Now theyre wondering what theyre gonna do, will they go back to school? Keep working 40 hour weeks at walmart so they can pay rent? Live with their parents to afford college maybe? What if they cant? Juggle school on top of work and completely support themselves the whole time hoping they never get sick or anything else goes wrong?

I know you hate this, but being a traveling road bum totally blows that shit out of the fucking water my dude. I started hitching and playing music, paid off all my debt, ive seen the country, met thousands of awesome people, played shows, started a band, got a school bus, all on the money i make playing music. Man, i built all this shit by expressly not doing the shit you say to do. So fuck you, and keep your /in/ crap to yourself. Everyone knows they can get a fucking job and go to college, im here to show you that there are other ways to live and love your life. The whole point of these threads is so that anons can know they have options when life is kicking their asses.
>>
>>926678
Your a loser
get a job.
>>
File: 20170107_230438.jpg (553KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_230438.jpg
553KB, 3264x2448px
>>926626
I'm gonna take the job. Yeah it'll be shitty to quit but whatever fuck em. If I quit I wont get my scholarships so I guess it'll be fair.

I'm just tired of being so idle handed and I owe the world so I'm gonna help solace the trees. I'll travel later, r-right g-guys?

And I hopped my first train last night so I at least feel like I got to taste the sweet juices of freedom. America, fuck yeah! We might suck on alot of things but if you wanna hop trains n shit there's no better place to be
>>
>>924084
the idiot is claiming that because a hobo is wearing shoes and a coat made of rubber and leather he is participating in society and "spending money" by supporting the factory by using the goods society produced.

He did not produce the rubber himself in a camp in the woods, nor did he flesh, tan, and fashion the hide into leather and the leather into a garment that he sewed himself with thread he manufactured himself by braiding his own hairs.

In the idiots mind, using *ANYTHING AT ALL* produced by society means your spending money by using it alone.

It dont matter if you salvage it from a junkyard for free or if its taken from garbage for free, its "money" because it took effort by society to make, effort that you did not put in to produce it or help society along to producing it (by flipping societys burgers for exampkle)
>>
>>926755
Chances are tho that he relies on society. If you're not growing your own food how you gonna eat and if you don't have a job how you gonna buy food? Dumpster diving isn't rewarding enough to subsist off of in most locations
>>
>>926791
Quit talking out your ass and lurk moar faggot.
>>
>>919952
It's really easy to steal food from Panera bread FYI.
>>
>>926796
Brug I'm talking from personal experience. I've been in many large cities and smaller towns across the US and dumpster diving is fucking hard. So tell me how I'm wrong cus food pantries are still relying on society
>>
>>926812
You dont know shit about shit if you have trouble eating out the trash anywhere in the USA. Ive been homeless and traveling 5 years, ive eaten out of more trash cans than normies probably even see in their lives. All dumpstering takes is the slightest bit of forethought. And who the fuck is saying we exist outside society? If youre a human fucking being you participate in society. Simple as that. We fill a niche just like we always have.
>>
>>926819
Whatever man maybe its my locations as it was mostly in the suburbs of cities but anyways that guy was talking about someone who exists independent from the monetary system so call it whatever you want.
>>
>>926824
listen

If Joe goes and buys a snowmobile, uses it for a year, then puts it on the curb with a sign that says free and a homeless guy drives off with it, that homless guy does not by that action alone "participate in the monetary system"

He is still independant of it. He is simply using the garbage produced by that system that he exists alongside but independant of.

The man who bought the snowmobile is the man who is participating.
>>
>>926824
Only problems ive had are locked dumpsters and cop callers. I pack around mini bolt cutters for the locked ones, before i had them i picked the locks.
>>
>>926849
>I pack around mini bolt cutters for the locked ones
Ur a faggot anon
>>
>>926969
No shit faggot
>>
>>927043
Ur an even bigger faggot

If a bunch of faggots were crossing a bridge with a troll under it, you'd be the faggot all the other little faggots were telling him to wait for
>>
>>927067
Youre so much of a faggot that if you were taking a hike youd start making rock piles everywhere. Youre so much of a faggot you ask permission to sleep in the walmart parking lot.
>>
>>927089
Ur such a faggot that when ur btfo u resort to memes :^]
>>
The proof against ANY hobo shitposter is this.

They aren't living some retatded Johnny Hobo fantasy because, rather than save up the small amount of money needed to create a moneyless and self sustainable life --the life they so claim as their ideal and what they are looking for whilst on the road. They neglect to do this entirely and instead ask for your spare quarters.

This lack of preparation is a clear sign of an outright lie, or even mental illness.

Don't be fooled by their replies about YOU being a sucker.
>>
>>927148
>small amount of money needed to create a moneyless life

(you)

I don't think so tim, if it was that easy everyone would do it.

The gov wants it's citizens to pay into taxes and do their part to consume goods and services to keep the postindustrial economy going.

Its usually expensive as shit to get off the grid and its illegal for your properties not to be on code and have electricity and utilities.
>>
>>927220
>Its usually expensive as shit to get off the grid and its illegal for your properties not to be on code and have electricity and utilities
Nhb in rural areas land is cheap and you can do whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>927096
Youre such a faggot that you meme while you meme about me meming you
>>
>>927148
>johnny hobo fantasy

Into the trash you go.
>>
>>927282
You still need to pay property taxes and have some kind of road and utilities connected to the property even if all you want to do is build a log cabin or drop a doublewide trailer on the lot

and wtf will you do then? no lifestyle no matter how frugal can be sustained in america with 0 or negligible income. Look at the lakota people descending into madness and alcoholism because nobody is earning any new wealth or has anything to do.
>>
>>927148
I love that you come around and read these threads and still have absolutely NO idea what its all about. Poor dumb bastard.
>>
>>923357
There's a 30 dollar one at Walmart that's a 6 x 7 and packs down to the size of one of those bigger jbl Bluetooth speakers. I can't remember the name of it though
>>
>>926713
/thread
>>
>>927220
If you weren't terribly mentally unstable you would realize $100,000 is not a lot of money and makes it very easy to live your fantasy lifestyle. In fact, it's incredibly easy to live off the grid. It is done by billions of people. It's funny when a mentally ill person wishes to regain this natural lifestyle, but is so brainwashed by society that they think it to be difficult, leading them to more and more panic attacks and worse and worse planning and then suddenly their wild attempt at this lifestyle becomes sleeping on cardboard. You are a failure.
>>927305
Yeeeeah maaaaaan you just dont get iiiiit maaaaaaan
>>927292
Sounds like you mad
>>
>>927303
You won't attain this lifestyle without accepting that only strong ones survive.

Also, why, as a hobo, do you make the "its illegal" argument? You fuckfaced coward.
>>
>>927442
You really think we're broke and just sit around all day? Senpai surely you realize i make over 40 bucks an hour right? You are salty af senpai we make stacks. In fact, if you arent making stacks while homeless you are doing it wrong. Im not sure what you think the fantasy is, clearly that only exists in your faggy little head. Git gud anon.
>>
>>927444
Do you just assume anyone who responds to your stupid ass is homeless?
>>
>>927442
If you think johnny hobo is indicative of our lifestyle you are absolutely retarded.

Like he said
>>927447
Git gud fgt
>>
>>927449
No.
However I will treat all of you as such.

Sorry baby.
>>927447
Now you see, this is a better argument. Proof that rather than mental illness you are at least an averagely business minded person.

This is good. We are getting somewhere.

We are now acknowledging there are multiple kinds of homeless people. The ill and the ones that wish to manipulate others.

I'm sure the next step is that you claim even that is too broad, and rightly so. Want to name any more types of homeless person?

I'm sure ooooone kind is redeemable, right?
>>
>>927452
That was merely to poke fun at you fools.

It worked.
>>
>>927455
You gotta step up your game if you wanna shitpost in here, kid. This is the big leagues, you need better bait.
>>
>>927458
Evasion.
>>
>>927457
>i was only pretending to be a faggot
>>
>>927461
>I say someone else likes Johnny Hobo, in a clearly negative fashion
>I'm the faggot

In order for this to be logical I would have had to speak kindly of the scrawny little drug addict.
>>
File: 1465870081957.jpg (39KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1465870081957.jpg
39KB, 408x439px
>>927463
(You)
>>
File: IMG_94361.jpg (679KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_94361.jpg
679KB, 1600x1200px
>>927469
>>
>>927473
Youve got a fat old wife and a yappy dog.. You know anon youre really starting to make sense.
>>
>>927476

Good intuition, but I'm of no relation to either of those creatures. Sorry bud.
>>
>>927478
Sure anon, whatever you say.
>>
File: rsz_20161007_114238.jpg (116KB, 576x960px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20161007_114238.jpg
116KB, 576x960px
Never change homeless thread, never change
>>
>>927303
>pay property taxes
Ain't shit so long as you homestead exemption that shit, which you oughta be doing.
>and have some kind of road and utilities connected to the property
No to both
>even if all you want to do is build a log cabin or drop a doublewide trailer on the lot
No to both again.
And this isn't even taking into account government money for being poor.
>>
>>921703
I feel like this looks neat but would be super fucking cramped and not as comfortable as the main purpose.
>>
I want friends.

I want a girlfriend.
>>
>>927442
god damn your a stupid motherfucker

who is implying I am homeless? fucking idiot
>>
>>927551
>look mom I posted the picture of the dog looking at a vista again

so wise hobo brah
>>
>>927792
>haha im not homeless therefore you're dumb
>>
File: IMG_20161024_133301.jpg (1MB, 2472x1869px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161024_133301.jpg
1MB, 2472x1869px
>>927794
Yeah, you got me, everyone knows thats not even my dog.

Here, have another repost.
>>
Any anons have experience with hitchhiking or train hopping? Advantages/disadvantages of each? Or are those just memes now?
>>
>>928001
What do you want to know specifically? Riding freight is the quickest way to get cross country. Hitching can be fast, but you can end up stuck in lame spots too so be ready to hoof it.
>>
>>928015
I'm traveling a long distance and I'm trying to figure out what the best way of going about it is. Which way is less sketchy? How common is it to actually get rides when hitching?
>>
>>928035
You need to be more specifics if you want specific answers. But in general, if you don't know how to hop, then hitching is infinitely easier in most locations. Hitching out of somewhere like Alabama is harder than say Colorado but if you don't know how to hop you're never gonna get out of Alabama unless you hitch.
>>
When I was a homeless teenager I used to sleep in the tubes of the McDonald's PlayPlaces. Waterproof and windproof. Just be sure to wake up and get out before the morning crew arrives, or before the childrens wake you up.
>>
About to be homeless. I don't have much money to buy gear, but I already have most of the things I need. I already have a large milsurp ALICE pack, but would it be worth buying a cheap civilian pack so I don't look as much like a hobo?
>>
>>928066
If you're just gonna be a homebum then yes. If you're gonna travel its best to go as minimalist as possible cus you're gonna hoofing it for months on end and a heavy pack will degrade your spinal curvature.
>>
>>928085
So either way a smaller bag is optimal. Homebunming with a small bag makes you less conspicuous which is good for your safety and social respect.
>>
>>928085
The size of the backpack doesnt matter at all compared to whats inside it.
>>
>>928066
Youre gonna want to look like a hobo. No one helps normies, just being dirty with that pack on your back will be enough to get you seriously paid
>>
>>928085
>>928086
>>928090
>>928092
I'm going to be backpacking/hitchhiking. Will it not be better to be the young traveler rather than just a regular homeless guy?
>>
>>928099
Regular homeless guys arent young. You will be the young traveler, a cool version instead of some interchangable college kid.
>>
>>928092
>>928116
some of the worst advice I've ever seen given

people help normal people with morals and constructive ideals who look that way

none of the relentlessly spoiled white girls who are still in college and do not understand the reality of what their position in life is going to be yet will find someone they see as degenerate and slacking on responsibilities "cool" or attractive

they should just ban this thread and only allow a version of it under the title mental illness general.
>>
>>928123
Youre dumb and salty af family
>>
>>928123
His advice is dumb because of college girls?

Ill take the advice of someone who has lived the life over some random shitposter thats just trying to derail the thread. Do you actually think you are convincing other anons to not listen to these guys or are you just here every thread to be a faggot?
>>
>>928125
>lol bruh your so stupid because you said what the socioeconomic implications of this lifestyle are going to be instead of romanticizing driving oneself into poverty and exclusion

>same shit with this retard>>928126
don't listen to any of the idiots preaching the profound value and insight you will gain by being a vagabond in this shitposting thread

they'll eventually end up resenting the benefits of society going to people who actually worked for them and end up committing assault, robbery, or rape.
>>
Vagabonding is fine if you're a real man and human not a bum who leeches of others and wastes their life.

>shitposting general>>
>shitposting general^^
>shitposting general~~uguu~~
>shitposting general&&
>shitposting general!!
>shitposting general!
>shitposting general@
>>
>>928143
This thread is full of people in complete denial of the fact that normal people can maintain organizational skills and morality while homeless, and that if you can't live to the same standards you did when you had a house and a job you are merely mentally ill or criminal.
>>
>>928169
>4chin
>>
>>928169
Its actually just full of one dude being a cunt
>>
>>928178
>>928181
Sub par rebuttal just like your work ethic and mental status
>>
>>928406
>>928181
>>
>>928406
haha bums blasted yet again
>>
WEW LADS
the fuck happened to this thread
>>
>>928741
What do you mean? Isnt it supposed to go like this?
>>
>>928741
Honestly, what do you expect?
This is what happens when trolls are fed.
I mean, what purpose does someone really have to be in this thread when they do not need information or have information or advice to give?

Shitposting, that is the answer.
It seems almost too easy.
>>
>>928775
>theres no content thats why i shitpost
>if you post content ill just reply to it endlessly with more and more shitposts
>hahaaaa bums blasted
>>
>>928856
>>928775
>>928749
>>928741
>unable to refute critique of lifestyle
>shitposting

You folks are the shitposters, sorry.
>>
File: rsz_img_20161016_192947.jpg (418KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20161016_192947.jpg
418KB, 1328x747px
>>928879
Every time someone takes your bait and explains themselves you just ignore them and continue shitposting. I wonder how many times youve been banned, it's pretty funny when all the shitposts get deleted out of the blue. You exist here simply to be a faggot, like anyone needs to refute any of the dumb shit you say. Even the normies that come through cant stand your ass. You dont offend me, so 90% of the time it would seem youre just shitposting at other normies calling them homeless and what have you.

I mean shit anon, im a traveling bum who lives in a bus and plays guitar for money. I waste all my time, and dont have a fuckin care in the world. You give enough shits to waste minutes of your life in here being a complete faggot for no reason other than to chuckle behind your monitor at how mad you made other normies on /out/

>r u avin a giggle m8?
>>
>>923053
>helpful replies only please
>>
>>928924
If youre that guy we are going south on saturday youre welcome to come along
>>
Sup hobros, should I get a woolen cloak or a poncho for my homeless journey?

Also, any other equipment recommendations?
>>
>>928909
Thanks for the response. Im aware of your presence in these threads and you seem to simply just be a musician. Nothibg wrong specifically with what you do.

Also, no, I don't ignore peoples replies.

Yes I'm havin a giggle
>>
>>929071
get a poncho, far more versatile. Also spend money on a ruck that's worth its salt and won't kill your back
>>
>>929197
If you have enough nice things you'll eventually need to carry a weapon.

Every time I get a new piece of gear I ask myself, "does this say to unsavory people that I should be robbed?". When it comes to nice outdoors gear, usually it does.

I've put thousands of miles on a shitty military seabag from the 80s. Unironically more comfortable than it looks.
>>
>>929272
Not the person you were replying to but I still have a question.

I am under the impression that the legality of knives varies from state to state. Also, while I'm sure trespassing is not recommended, doesn't trespassing with a deadly weapon have a harsher punishment?

I guess my question is, do you recommend carrying a knife (and if so, what kind?) or is a non-lethal option like a taser or mace the better option all around?
Or is there an alternative I am not thinking of?
>>
>>929536
I real suggestion is having the cardio to run 10 miles through the woods with 40lbs on your back in the middle of the night.

Also having the intelligence to avoid situations.

With that, you can carry a suicide vest.

I don't have advice for idiots that won't go above and beyond to survive.
>>
>>929553
Understood, thanks for the advice anon.
>>
>>929536
If youre over 18 no one will ever give a fuck what knife you have. Unless youre in commiefornia.
>>
>>922910
How are you on the internet
>>
Arent you guys afraid of getting lost
>>
>>922910
Do you enjoy wasting hours of your life each day waiting in line for leftovers? Do you enjoy making the simplest things in life complicated?
>>
What about when you get old and cant do this anymore, do you have plans for that?
>>
>>929764
Thats pretty old anon. There are vagabonds well into old age. I still meet 50+ y/o train riders.
>>
>>929838
what a miserable existence. sad!
>>
>>929856
Watch it buddy
>>
>>929724
Do you enjoy waiting hours in line everyday at McDonalds?
>>
>>929708
Wut
>>
>>929071
A poncho is way better
>>
>>924839
finish school and get a job kiddo
>>
What's up, I'm about to be homeless for a couple weeks while I find a new job and place to stay. What cheap food do y'all buy other than ramen? I have access to a camp stove and pot. Should I just get a fuck ton of beans and rice?
>>
>>926713
Why are wageslaves so pathetic?
>>
>>929071
Unless you are a druid then you don't need a woolen cloak.
>>
>>930617
but where do you keep your dagger?
>>
How would a young, white female be able to live without a home? I imagine it wouldn't be allowed because it's too dangerous outside.

Also can she travel alone to an cold country like Iceland, Norway, East-Russia(Antarctica seems to extreme and is exclusively for the intelligent researchers) work on a boat for someone else, catching fish w/e or is that kind of life style romanticized and will you not be able to support yourself?

Females also have inferior strenght and signing up to be part of an army or some shit for a few years seems useless.

What about living in some jungle country? It would stink and be very warm all day but the green scenery and life (not the mosquitos of course) makes up for that.
>>
>>931024
There's homeless females around me. But they're washed up junkies. They seem alright
>>
>>931024
A lot of girls just dick ride around... Same as in box life. Some of them go hard though. My home girl stabbed a trucker for touching her tit. Its all nice and official with the cops too. Nuts.

Like i said though, a lot of traveling girls just dick ride.
>>
How commonly are vagrancy laws enforced in the US?
>>
>>931072
If youre visibly fucked up being an ass, or if you are in a really yuppie town where theyve passed no sit/lay laws. Also if youre doing something silly like sleeping on the sidewalk. Basically just use common sense and youll be fine
>>
>>931072
>>931082
this plus dress "normal" and if you get bugged by pigs
>I missed the bus,train etc and don't really have the money for a motel
odds they'll ask for ID run a check but if you don't have viable trackmarks are calm and polite its either fuck off somewhere else or if we get called because of you doing something illegal we will rape you

even the most deprived degenerate junkie can hide in plain sight remember senpai its only illegal if someone sees you or get caught red handed
>>
>>931091
Dressing like a normie is the most normie advice for this shit ever. Things will only be worse for you if you dress like a normie. No, im not going to explain myself. Just know this kids, there is no fucking reason to hide and the only people who will tell you to hide are normies talking out of their ass about ahit theyve never done/lived
>>
>>931095
How do I not dress like a normie and why wouldn't I? All I have is my normie college student clothes
>>
>>919952
>told this was the board to go to for such matters
at this point i think we need a /hobo/ board
>>
>>931171
Yeah, but they will get worn and used. Patch them up, keep em going, theyll roughen up and people respond to that look far more than if youre just wearing normal clothes. Keep some freshies in gallon ziplocs in case you need to look presentable.
>>
File: aaaaajjj.jpg (241KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaajjj.jpg
241KB, 1080x810px
>>919952
I did some bike touring for 6 months straight, I felt pretty homeless, in the best possible way.
>>
>>931212
REEEE GET OUT YOU DIRTY MONEY HAVER

CAPITALIST SCUM

THIS IS THE HOOOOOUSE OF GOD!!!!!

ONLY THE MONEYLESS CAN POST

REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
>>
>>931212
is that tent the hooligan? how do you like it? how much was it?
>>
>>931354
>Outdoor recreational activities (Hiking, trail running, bushwhacking, camping, spelunking, geocaching, orienteering, expeditions, urban exploration, backpacking, etc.)
>>931366
It's a cheap one pole, 3 season, brazilian tent, it was around 120 bucks and it worked fine until the zipper died. Pretty lightweight and easy to put up, which is a plus considering you'll be doing it everyday.
>>
>>931035
Literal dick ride?
>>
>>931872
Literal dick riding. I.e. they fuck you and tag along with you because its easier than going alone.
>>
>>931212
where did you go? I would like to take a break from working. I've been teaching for ten years and I'm fucking exhausted.
>>
>>922935
>>919952
Hey anon how is it being homeless so far?
>>
File: ushuaia.jpg (261KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ushuaia.jpg
261KB, 1080x1080px
>>931895
You won't regret it, man.
>>
Would you guys live in a storage unit if you had to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo
>>
>>931907
OP here, I'm not the other person you quoted, it is pretty decent so far. I tried to hitch out and had no luck so I took a bus. I've stayed around the same cities so not much travel yet.
I've been couch surfing a bit and sleeping outside to get myself more used to it. I'm surprised the temperature has been so mild.

Panera dumpsters are a godsend

Thank you for asking, anon.
>>
File: IMG_20161031_092538.jpg (839KB, 2501x1764px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161031_092538.jpg
839KB, 2501x1764px
>>931907
Im neither of them, but its fucking amazing anon.
>>
>>931911
This looks very lovely, I wouldn't mind it.
>>
>>931911
>had to

Ill never have to mein neger. Thats the whole point.
>>
Any homeless or former homelessfags here ever had any close encounters or situations where you needed to defend yourself? I have access to a shotgun and it would be really nice to have for defense and small game hunting, but I'm scared of it getting stolen or trouble with the police. I'm probably not going to be bringing it but what do you anons think?
>>
>>926671
Procrustean, ironically, is the word for this cucked perspective.
>>
>>932238
Fukn gr8
>>
>>932238
Mom told me I'm a snowflake!!!
>>
File: IMAG2242.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2242.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>932059
I have a .22lr marlin, handful of knives, and some leather cestus. As far as self defense situations your brain and common sense will be your best preventative weapons. If you don't go looking for trouble, you likely will never find it. The only physical altercations I've been in are ones that I started because someone really needed to get punched in the face. I don't know how viable a shotgun would be, since if you're living out of a car or a backpack you wont have the luxury of knowing shits about to pop off like you would when, say, you wake up at night and there's someone downstairs unplugging your tv. Look into getting a dog. Not to eat people, but to keep you company and to be an early warning device.

>vintage tramp camp
>>
>>932059
Just be aware of your surroundings. The times I had guns pulled on me were when my mind was somewhere else and didn't notice the suspicious characters around me.

>>931930
Glad to hear your doing well. I've never been homeless but I've lived out of my car for about a year. If you've got time I've got questions

1. Are you mostly city living? Do you plan on going further out into the woods?

2. Where have you been sleeping outside, and do people bother you?

3. What do you do to keep yourself preoccupied?
>>
>>931909
Not OP but
maybe I can trade my BMX for a more proper bike for the road, but isn't it still a goddamn hassle? How many miles between two towns?
>>
>>932561
Its a hassle when you end up places that have goat heads and shit that pop your tires
>>
What a shit thread. Just a bunch of white neet faggots daydreaming of the hobo life. Pathetic.
>>
>>932731
wut
>>
>>931024
Its common for Women work the same jobs as men in Norway and Iceland. Even trades.

Wages are high and temporary work is common, so a lot of young people travel.

Also coastal Norway isn't actually that cold, because of the Gulf Stream blowing that warm Florida air.

Or you can just be a woman and use your vagina magic and have men do things for you.
Like I'm doing right now.
Fucking bitch.
>>
>>931930
The key to hitchhiking is looking clean and cheerful. Remember, drivers are of the mindset that picking you up is putting them at all sorts of risks. They know you probably haven't had a shower in days or weeks, but when they have mere seconds to balance their humanity against their sense of self preservation, being the guy that's smiling and waving is more appealing than the indignant thumber who's flipping off every car that doesn't stop (in a fairly extreme but not unrealistic example). Offering to leave the windows down if you haven't cleaned up in a while won't go unnoticed. The biggest issue I always have is maintaining conversations; I'm fairly spergy, so I don't have a lot of practice talking to people in the first place, but part of your job as their guest is to not bore them to the point that they would rather drop you off early.

Starbucks is a Godsend. Not only can you use the WiFi to get unlimited free texts and calls (GoogleVoice, if you're not on it already) Free ice water when wandering endlessly through southern California has probably saved my life on more than one occasion.

Don't beg. Not for money, not for food, not for rides. I've been hungry, broke and stranded, I still refuse to give help to people to expect it shamelessly. The ones that ask politely for what they need and nothing more? I've driven sixty miles out of my way to drop off a hitchhiker where he needed to go when it was raining and I knew he wouldn't get picked up again, I've bought lunch for a whole group of kids simply because I was surprised they weren't trying to guilt me into giving them change. It's basic psychology, people don't even want to look at a pathetic failure because it inspires fear of what may be in their future, but they'll go well out of their way to associate themselves with someone who shows strength in adversity, because people are drawn to strong leaders.

May the wind be always at your back and the sun shine warm upon your face.
>>
>>932849
Remember kids, taking advice from normies on how to be homeless is never a good idea.
>>
>>932866
I feel like this deserves some sort of response, but I can't infer whether you're being serious or sardonic.

And yet somehow, I still feel that you phrased it that way intentionally... fucking autism; foiled again.
>>
>>933118
Your opinions on which bums to help and which hitchhikers to pick up are completely personal to you and your advice on what to dress like and when to beg has nothing to do with anyone but yourself. The amount of normies that end up helping you on the road means that you are a tiny drop in a huge ocean of help. You dont speak for anyone other than you, therefore unless i run into you your opinions will never affect my ability to hitch or make money. Road bums do not need to worry about how they are dressed or who they ask for money. Not smelling like you shit yourself is solid advice for anyone though so ill give you that one, but that other shit just plain does not matter at all and telling a bum not to beg/fly/spange is basically telling that bum to just shut up and be broke and hungry forever because thats how you get rides. That is damaging to kids because if they were to listen to you they would be stopping themselves from making progress based on the bad advice you gave. You didnt mean harm, but you gotta understand that your perspective is limited. Im not trying to call you a stupid faggot and tell you to never post again but you should at least phrase yourself to where youre just giving your point of view rather than the "do this because this is the kind of people that i help" thing.
>>
>>933141
Fair enough. I did generalize when it's certainly not necessarily true in every instance.

I do think though that it would be safe to say that people of certain backgrounds are typically more likely to be compassionate towards people of similar backgrounds. Given that, it's still probably more frequently to one's benefit to not appear too fringe, because people do have a natural aversion to things that they don't understand. Anecdotally, I get picked up mostly by professional business people. Those aren't the only kind of people that pick up hitch-hikers by any means, but they are, more often than not, the type of people who are going to be more selective about who they pick up. That's all I was trying to get at.
>>
>>933170
For sure my nigga
>>
File: Sitka-Hobo-Knife.jpg (221KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Sitka-Hobo-Knife.jpg
221KB, 467x700px
The Hobo Knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFPEQx30yI
>>
File: ALRBB093_13276[1].jpg (124KB, 320x430px) Image search: [Google]
ALRBB093_13276[1].jpg
124KB, 320x430px
>>929197
>>930120

Why? It looks like a fucking fashion accessory. I want something heavy-duty to replace winter jackets and pants, and to be used for sleeping. I'll probably just buy a wool blanket and make my own cloak like vid related. Besides, I want to look like a wizard, not some hipster fag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEuWNqFPzg
>>
>>933792
jesus fucking christ

is there anything millenial hipster scum won't appropriate
>>
>>933792
>sitka
overpriced leaf chink garbage
fuck off hipster faggot
>>
>>934076
I'll admit, looking like a wizard is pretty cool. That said, I don't know the viability of hitchhiking when you could be mistaken for a cultist.
>>
File: IMG_4835.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4835.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Nobody ever talks about real homelessness. The kind where you drink and do drugs all day to ease the pain of living. Where you sell your body to anyone who can get you high and you say things like "ok, I guess I can do that. But it'll cost you extra." The kind where you purposely build a ratty shelter so you can pray you die in your sleep.
>>
>>934076
>""cloak"" like vid related
>literally a poncho
sorry but some time-tested item doesn't magically become ineffective after it's co-opted by hipster faggots
>>
>>934259
What if I AM a cultist?
>>934424
You're describing bums, homeless just means someone doesn't have a place of permanent residence such as a house or rented room.
>>
>>934424
>t.crustlord
>>
>>934101
Being righteous
>>
Going to go live in the woods for a few years.

Don't have anything besides clothes and a hunting knife.

PNW btw

10 years primitive survival experience
>>
>>922941

> Washington

pls no, the tent cities everywhere have exploded into human territory in the last 10 years
>>
>>923396

So you've done this before? You must have if you're sure that you'll be glad you did it.

I hope to god you're trolling and not serious. Have you ever met somebody IRL who was glad they threw their life away to run off with a woman?
>>
>>924839
>>930126

Finish school, get job, save money.

Look at it this way: literally the only freedom you will have in your lifetime is financial independence. If you want to be in control of your own time and not barely living a subsistence lifestyle, you need enough money to not be told what to do and how to do it.

Saving money, being frugal and spending economically is probably the most punk rock thing you can do in current year.
>>
A lot of people suggest churches as laces to go but what about mosques?
What any homeless people experiences with mosques when looking for sympathy, shelter, and help?
>>
>>923346
Hello me from seven years ago. I hope it's as good for you as it was for me, watching her cheat on you in a camper when your out getting firewood, and then them both leaving with your vehicle and gear, you alone roughing it with nothing until you get rescued by random woodsman who you get skull fucked by and ass played as surprise payment for your 150 mile ride to the nearest city. Have a great time it's the biggest mistake you'll ever make if you live to regret it.
>>
>>935561
Did you really get skullfucked
>>
>>935221
Bitch please.
>>
>>935222
We dont because that shit is fucking retarded.
>>
>>935596
i suspect he was memeing but the point stands

unless you focus on building yourself into a formidable person, the girl who wanted to cuddle you, blew you, and talked about how she wanted to run away with you will eventually desert you to trade up.

You don't win the game if you refuse to play, which is kind of the thing people pioneering this thread are struggling with.
>>
>>935196
>no rope
>no sewing needle, thread, and fabric to patch clothing
faggot

You'll probably freeze to death, enjoy dying.
>>
>>935688
Do you not know how to make needle and thread, rope?

Lol anon pls
>>
>>935196
I'm in the PNW, you should leave your coordinates, I'll stop by a couple times per year to bring you a beer and update the chan on your status. It'll be fun.
>>
Just a friendly reminder that all the hate in this thread comes from people who think that they're above their jobs but can't seem to find anything better, who resent their children for costing them so much time and money that they can't do anything that they want to do, and who are in failing relationships solely because they know they don't have the time to find someone better. So the people that they most want to take that anger out on is the people who didn't make the same mistakes that they did.

Feels good to be free, doesn't it?
>>
>>936545
>this is what cold and smelly, disease ridden, soulless street degenerates whisper to themselves before they suck dick for smack

At least we now know one of the causes of homelessness is being neglected by an unhappy middle class family growing up, as is clear with this person.

Very weak thought process, could do better!

Need a hug baby cakes?
>>
>>935561
>>935686

Jesus there are some bitter faggots in here.
>>
>>935686
>/r/mgtow
>>
>>936636
lol. I think you're not smart enough to know the difference between bums and homeless people. Bums survive off of handouts, homeless people just don't have mortgages.

I work one or two months out of the year, and spend the rest of my time traveling, camping, fishing, and just generally having a great life. You get what, two weeks to enjoy your life and spend the other 96% of the time struggling to pay for a place to sleep?
>>
>>919952
OP if you still watch this thread, you should trailbum on the AT until you find a hostel to work at
>>
>>936829
I probably work less than you.

Quality of life is vastly different however, this is the key. I have had no issues creating a wonderful life from scratch.

Being homeless on a budget is all you've been able to muster so far. Do better, or are you already out of creativity?
>>
>>936833
I'm not opposed to working a little to pay for things that I need, such as fishing tackle, gear replacement or the occasional bus or train ticket.

I would of course rather have some form of passive income, so I've also written a book, traded in foreign and crypto currencies, working on a mobile game project right now, etc. But I personally don't want to do anything "undesireable", so for the time being, a month or two waging to cover all of my needs for a year is a fairly small price to pay in my opinion.
>>
>>936838
Not bad bro.

I don't understand the insistence of the word homeless when you operate at a higher capacity.

Imo the world has always been my home.

Would be sad to be homeless.
>>
>>936856
The only word I've found that better describes how I choose to live my life is "transient", and most people don't know the difference anyway.

There's 190 Million acres of National Forest in the US. We have a bigger back yard than Bill Gates.
>>
Looking for hobo generals advice on urban exploration, mostly abandoned buildings.

Do's
Don'ts
What to bring
Etc

Figured you're the guys to ask and with the most experience, also, are junkies really much of a problem or am I just paranoid?
>>
>>936862
I mean, more or less you're just a guy walking around or driving around or riding around. Odds are if you tried hard enough you could own a house.

That's more like, bachelor, or frontiersman. Not homeless.
>>
>>936874
I think we're going back to the bum/homeless argument again... I don't have a home, granted, that's by choice, but I am without a home.

In all honesty though, I couldn't care less what people call me. I enjoy my life now more than I ever did while working all the time. I'm happy, that's what I call me.
>>
File: image.jpg (713KB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
713KB, 1800x1322px
>>936893
Not him but
>>
>>936893
If you live in the outdoors and forage/hunt for food you're a survivalist/outdoorsman.

If you move around and don't have a permanent living place you're a traveler/tourist.

If you live in a fucking tent/dumpster/box in a city you are a homeless fucking bum vagrant trash and probably mentally ill. Get help.
>>
>>936908
If you work so you can pay for the right to work, you are a slave.

I am what I choose to be, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>936914
Lol if that's what working is to you then you must be completely incompetant
>>
>>936918
You pay for a house so you have a place to sleep and shower and prepare yourself to work?
You own a vehicle so you can get to and from work?
You buy clothes specifically to wear to work?

How much of your time do you spend working, so that you can pay for these things?

I work so that I can pay for the things that I'll use when traveling.
>>
>>936925
no, I work so I can have a house to live in instead of living in a cardboard box and shitting in bushes. You retards have the most fucked up mindsets when it comes to working... You're just lazy as fuck which is why I will never give a dime to any mentally ill bum like you.
>>
>>936934
If you think insisting that I'm a bum is going to somehow set me off, you're wrong. I'm not begging on a street corner, or filthy or an addict. I'm financially, mentally and morally stable. You wouldn't assume that I'm any different than yourself if you were to see me walking down the street to go to work during the few weeks each year that I do, because I'm not all that different, I just have much fewer expenses than you do.
>>
>>936925
I haven't worked in over 10 years.

$15,000 into Amazon, been trimming the bush ever since.
>>
>>936946
That's a nice score! Housed, traveler?

I like playing BTC and EUR occasionally, but I typically only make a few hundred a month when I'm actively trading. Plus, I have to be somewhere with WiFi to do it, so I only have time when I'm not traveling.
>>
>>936925
Have you read Walden by chance?
>>
>>936950
I started to, I found it kind of tedious, like literary masturbation.

I think it's more important to find your own place in the world than it is to emulate how someone else found theirs.
>>
>>936949
With AMZN, it was something I would sell like once a year, and wait months to buy back in.

The money was slow but sustainable for the first 5 years, but then it really exploded and now I'm wealthy.

I'm just a homesteader, so I'm just sitting on a lot now. I rarely exceed $10,000 in bills per year.

Because of the extra money, and family I've gained, I had a real house built and modern things added to it. Still 80% homesteader in my opinion.
>>
>>936956
If I had wealth, I'd probably do something similar, but most of the enjoyment that I've found in life has been during times in which I needed to make due with very little.

I'm actually kind of intimidated with the thought of what I'd do if one of my games made any money. Long-term stability is a comforting thought, but I think I'd prefer to donate it to something worthy.
>>
>>936953
Certainly, but it doesn't hurt to read up on others to find useful information you can integrate into your own, still, I get you, same reason I stopped reading Ulysses, I just find Joyce pretentious.

Anyway, I bring up Thoreau because although he had a house, worked the land, he didn't do it for anyone else, he owned it and he are his bounty, fished, granted he'd also occasionally visit his friends for a meal, while he wasn't jerking his transcendentalists boner, but he still had these material trappings you seem to condemn yet still live a comparatively free life as opposed to the townsfolk of Concord
>>
>>936964
It wouldn't matter if I lost everything.

I'm completely sustainable when it comes down to it.

I could
>Lose my savings
>Lose my stock
>Lose my modern house
>Lose my cars
>Lose my guns
>Lose various other assets
>Lose my crops

And I would still be able to live just fine on these 160 acres.

Statistically, a war would have to break out.
>>
>>936971
>jerking his transcendentalists boner
kek'd

I don't know if condemn is the right word. I'm a major proponent of moderation. I'm not against working, and I do it myself a little; I'm not against having possessions, I do like commercial fishing hooks, lol; I just think that people tend to go overboard with the concept of ownership. What's the point in owning anything if you don't have the time to do anything with it?

>>936972
I get that. My concern would be the property taxes associated with acreage if I didn't have income. Losing the land could be devastating.
>>
>>936975
Literally just grow one thing that can be sold.

Christmas trees.
Weed.

Financial literacy is your friend. You don't have to work if you're smart enough to buy and sell particular things.

Can take 5 minutes every few weeks or months.

You don't have to even have land to own stocks or do migrant work, man.
>>
>>936975
That I can certainly understand, I'm not homeless, I was for three days in Spain during summer but I don't think that counts really, I came here for urban exploration advice since it's not something I'm knowledgeable in, but I know that if push came to shove my sleeping bag is good down to -7 which'll do me in Ireland, I've a tarp, the outdoors know how and a place I can do a days work for a hot meal if I want it, honestly it sounds like a pretty good time to me, even if my family do worry about it a tad
>>
>>936982
We each find our own paths to happiness; mine involves working short stints at places that I can meet girls in their early twenties who tend to be impressed by stories of adventure. :)

>>936987
My family freaked out when I told them I was going to hike the PCT, worse when I told them I was going to hitch-hike to the terminus, and worse still, when I told them I was going to travel instead of sticking to the same trail that thousands of other people have hiked. Eventually they got used to it.
>>
>>936992
Aye well I suppose it's in the nature of mothers, doesn't stop me from wandering off though, eventually I'll have to give up randomly sauntering off though when I join the police
>>
>>937001
I was on my way out of a small town last year when a Sheriff pulled up next to me and got out of his car.
"Where you headed?" He asks me.
"Trying to find a place outside of town to crash for the night, then I'm hitchin' north in the morning." I explain.
"Got any weapons on you?" He asks.
"Just a folding knife." [that isn't legal in this state] I slowly reach to lift up my shirt so he can see the clip.
"Why don't you hop on in the back?" He 'suggests'.
Fuck... I take off my pack and throw it in the back seat of the squad car and climb in after it.
"There's a park just down the road here, and I'm not telling you that you can stay there, but I don't check for vagrants unless someone asks me to." He tells me.

>Shortly after rolling out my bedroll, the park sprinklers go off.
>>
>>937013
>you will never lure hobos Into parks before the sprinklers start

Why even live?

Never tried to hitchhike, I usually walk everywhere, is it handy?
>>
>>937019
It's pretty awesome, actually. In addition to getting some road behind pretty quick, you meet a ton of cool people who just want someone to talk to.

And the sprinklers weren't all that bad, it was summer in California, just thought people would get a kick out of the story.
>>
Nice to see this thread exists.
What is a good strategy for living for an undefinite time innawoods?
Here is my rough outline of a plan:
>Make a somewhat decent shelter with twigs and the like, like that bushcraft stuff.
>Be close to a river so I can fish.
>Go to a nearby town and do some chores (like chopping wood, whatever really) for supplies (mostly food).

Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's not a great idea. If I am going to be on my own, should I stay in a place that's lonely or should I let people in the town be well aware of the spot?
>>
>>937098
Is there anyone in those towns who'd be willing to give you supplies for those chores? It's not Skyrim man, you don't just press A
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.