[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HAMMOCKS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 20

File: 20160713_091831-picsay.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_091831-picsay.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hammocks. Talk about then. Post your set up, ask questions, debate which underquilt is best.

This isn't about hammocks vs tents. This is a happy hammock thread.
>>
File: IMGP8960.jpg (885KB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8960.jpg
885KB, 2048x1355px
I do the DD ¥ungle hammock myself. I also Have a small side-hammock I use as a bench and for storage. It's the best. I'm moving overseas in 3 weeks and won't be taking it with me though ;_;
>>
File: DSCN9555.webm (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9555.webm
3MB, 740x416px
I have a Hennesy Hammock.
>>
>itt sos
>>
>>919822
wow noice!
>>
File: I_laiek_hamx.gif (3MB, 351x251px) Image search: [Google]
I_laiek_hamx.gif
3MB, 351x251px
>>919823
and same old shitposters too >:|
>>
>>919825
Axe usually, quite benign. And true, even to thread title.
>>
>>919822
Very cool video anon
>>
>>919817
What's a good tarp?

I want something lightweight but with sufficient coverage to *weather* (haha) fairly severe rain. But hopefully cheaper than going for like a full z-packs cubenfiber one.

Hammock I'm using is a Dutchware 11' double wide hexxon lol. Btw highly recommend the hammock comfy as fuck and ridiculously lightweight with the amsteel or whatever strings and titanium hardware.

Also any cheap/lightweight options for keeping warm? Under quilt is expensive and bulky/heavy... Is that the only route? Don't want to bring a sleeping pad in the hammock either....
>>
What about fucking up your back sleeping in them? Im like 6'5 will i break in half?
>>
>>919927
>What
Get big hammock. I posted b4 u get like dutchware 11' hammock double wide like 72" wide big as fuc and comfy. I'm 6'4" but b4 got said hammock i used an eno single nest lmfao so ur mileage will vary lololol
>>
>>919949
Then how you sex your woman in it? Thats my biggest concern so i guess a tent wins?
>>
>>919953
As far as having sex, obviously. Like come on.
>>
>>919953
Put the bitch on top tweak a nap she get ur dick wet who care problem solve my man
>>
>>919957
Outdoor sex is kinda intents if you know what i mean.
>>
it's called enoing now nerds get with the times
>>
Ausfag, looking to get one. Tossing up between Hennessy Jungle Safari and Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. Double layers are essential because bitey things are fucking everywhere on the east coast.

Has /out/ got any other recommendations?
>>
>>919848
Depends on how much you want to spend.

$30, get a Yukon Rainfly. Diamond shape, will cover your 11ft hammock.

$60 Hennessy Hex. Heavier but more coverage, solid tarp.

$90-120
Dutchware asym. Cool options to pitch. Light, not a ton of coverage but is a step up from the Yukon.

Wilderness Logics Tadpole. Available from Dutchware or can go to WL dkrect and have it customized. Light and a great tarp, can add doors if you want.

Dutchware also has a Hex tarp, little more than the Tadpole, but pretty similar.

Price wise from there, you can get all kinds of tarps for $150 on up. UGQ, Cuban Fibre Hammock Gear, Warbonnet... lots of great tarps.
>>
>>919848
A good UQ is not bulky or heavy, but they aren't cheap.

Arrowhead equipment for a cheaper synthetic quilt, they are somewhat bulky though.

For down quilts you have a ton of options. Hammock gear, UGQ, Jacks R Better, Wilderness Logics, Loco Libre, ect ect.
>>
>>920002
Warbonnet is far superior to Hennessy.

I own a WBRR, have tried a WBBB and also a Hennessy (not sure what model, bottom entry).

>>919953
kidding? As long as you're not massive fat people it's easy. I love hammock sex.
>>
>>920028
>i love hammock sex

Pretty sure anon means with another real live person, not just yourself.
>>
>>920060
Nah
>>
>>920060
so do I. Hammock is now integral to my tinder dating strategy. I have literally banged 6 chicks in my hammock straight off of tinder.
>>
>>920749
Props to ya.
>>
>>920749
I've noticed lots of chicks into the outdoors, on OKC. I wonder if that's because they want loud sex and neither they nor any of the young guys they meet own their own home?
>>
So I recently bought a snugpak hammock quilt and underblanket, which keep my hammock quite warm... the problem is I am most comfortable sleeping without a shirt on. The parachute material gets really sticky and uncomfortable when in direct contact with skin.

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution for this problem? I've tried sleeping in a sleeping bag, but that slides around. Sleeping on a blanket also isn't ideal and usually ends up outside my hammock within a couple of hours.
>>
File: princesspea.jpg (41KB, 250x301px) Image search: [Google]
princesspea.jpg
41KB, 250x301px
>>922830
I think you're just gonna have to deal, princess
>>
>>922871
>go with a hammock, it's the most comfortable option
>there's a way to make it more comfortable in a way that sleeping bags + tent currently offer? You must be a woman.

Creativity, nigger.
>>
>>922830

I had this problem. I just brought a old bed sheet, would just lay that over the hammock. The rope would not bother my naked flesh. The sheet is so breathable, that during hot summer days, you can still remain relatively cool, due to the sheet able to breath so much.
>>
>>919817
I've been really wanting to get into hammock camping for my solo trips. But I'm used to just using a two person tent and a small air mattress.

What do I need to get started? I know I could just google it, but I'd prefer to hear from other /out/ists on what to look for in brands, quality, features, etc.

I mostly enjoy winter/rain/cold camping but plan on taking trips in the summer months eventually.
>>
>>922830
sleping bag liner? can get all sorts of 'em, cotton, fleece, silk. essentially a sheet really, but in the shape of a sleeping bag.
>>
>>922960
A lot more than can be said in one post unfortunately. Read about the basics and come back here with specific questions.

To start though you need the same stuff as you do in a tent, with the addition of a few extras.

You need weather protection, insulation above you and below you.

Weather protection is a tarp. See here >>920026

The best insulation below you is an underquilt. To start though you can use a pad in a hammock. It's not ideal but it works. The cheapest underquilt made is probably the snugpak underblanket. It's about $50. It works alright down to about 35 degrees. Some people go lower with it, I don't trust it colder than that.

Insulation above you is easy, just use your sleeping bag. If you have a good pad or underquilt you can unzip the bag and lay on top of you like a top quilt. The cheapest dedicated top quilt, once agin, is a snugpak. It's called the hammock quilt. It's about the same as the underblanket in terms of temps. It's only like $35 or so.

You need a hammock, and suspension. There's dozens of options. Stay away from ENO, as they're way overpriced and extremely short. Find a hammock that's 11 ft long. A 10ft hammock woks but I find they are less comfortable. I have a 9ft, 10ft, and 11ft hammock, the 11 is my favorite. My favorite brands are Dutchware, Warbonnet, dream hammock, Arrowhead equipment, and Wilderness Logics. They will range from about $45 to $200 depending on the hammock. Nothing wrong at all with a cheap dutchware hammock, it won't have bug netting, but in cold weather you won't need it. You can add a bug net later for summer use. I generally just cover myself in bug spray and I'm good for the night. My area is also not very buggy at all.
>>
>>923113
Lastly you need suspension to hang the hammock. Easiest to find is the ENO atlas straps. They're heavy but they work alright. You'll need hooks or carabiners to attach the hammock to these straps. I have a set and they are alright. Super easy. If you do order a hammock, from somewhere like dutchware, get suspension from there. I use dutch cinch buckles. They are cheap, and easy to use. There are sevreal other options out there.

Lots of info to take in, but it's actually pretty easy to get started. I started off going to woot.com and getting a hammock and tarp from Yukon Outfitters on sale. They don't current have any on sale there but probably once a month they will. They just had a bug net hammock on there, and a kelty noahs tarp. Could have got both for about $60. Just need a suspension then. If you went to amazon, you can get a Wildhorn Outfitters 11ft hammock and suspenion system for $50. You could use a cheap tarp from Walmart just to try out to see if you like it.

Hope this helps sc/out/.
>>
I'm planing go Hammock style camping/trekking, being lucky live in dense forest area, so trees are plenty to pull a ridge line. But i have concern that bothers me a bit:

- health concern -
I have never being sleeping in a hammock for a full night sleep, and dunno how well i gonna feel at the morning. Another thing is spine(back) effects from sleeping in hammock.

Would be great to hear how well it goes with you. How comfy you are?
>>
>>923908
Many people with back problems sleeping on a matress, switch to a hammock to relieve their pain.

As long as you lay in the hammock correctly, it's very comfortable for your back.

I do get some discomfort in my legs, which I solved with a small pillow under my knees.
>>
I plan to do some car camping once winter is up. I plan on hanging my hammock from front to back in my car, but it's currently too long. Would tying a know in it to shorten it like in this picture harm it? I really don't want to ruin my hammock it's first use and don't know what these things are able to handle.
>>
>>919958
me not speak you tribe me white
>>
>>922830
wrap yourself in a poncho
>>
File: download (1).jpg (3KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
3KB, 275x183px
Somewhat off topic.
I once slept on a cot, it was from cabellas and around $20. It was like sleeping on air. The canvas wasn't 'taught' and had some give. Greatest night of sleep of my life, almost.

Anybody have any camping cot recommendations?
>>
>>923999
sleep outside in the trees you twit.
>>
File: maverick-laying-flat.jpg (150KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
maverick-laying-flat.jpg
150KB, 900x675px
>>924185
>hammock thread
>asks about cots
>only somewhat offtopic

To make it more on topic, you could try a bridge-style hammock. It lets you lay flat like a cot or bed.
>>
>>923999
Probably won't damage the hammock, but what's the point? You'll be too cramped with that little of space and won't be able to lay properly. If you want to sleep in your car, just use an air matress.
>>
What can I do to keep my hammock from sagging? I lashed it as tightly as I could between two trees to the point where it hung at neck level, but after a few minutes my ass eventually touched the ground
>>
File: hammock-basics.jpg (119KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
hammock-basics.jpg
119KB, 612x792px
>>925048
First off, never hang a hammock tight. You need to have sag, to get a proper lay.

A tightly hung hammock makes a terrible laying position. Stretching it tighter doesn't make it flatter, it actually makes it less flat. Biggest mistake people make is hanging too tight.

I'm assuming your hammock is either shit material, or you're using something like paracord to hang it. Paracord stretches way too much.

Get a normal fabric hammock, not a net hammock or rope hammock. Even a cheap parachute hammock off amazon won't stretch like you said yours did.

The get a suspension that's not stretchy rope. Your problem should be solved.
>>
File: la siesta hammock.jpg (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
la siesta hammock.jpg
46KB, 600x600px
Bought this from Cosco for like $30 a few years ago. Before that I had a DIY ripstop nylon hammock like on "tothewoods."
>>
>>925067
I use a single of this one. It's nice for summer camping but you really have to pack layers beneath you if it gets mildly chilly.
>>
>>925064
I do have a fabric hammock, and the straps I have are pic related. Also tried hanging it from different tensions when I was using it, and each time I ended up on the ground
>>
File: 31vJ++PvKkL.jpg (14KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
31vJ++PvKkL.jpg
14KB, 500x375px
>>925169
Here's the link to the hammock I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Outfitters-MG-10502r-Parachute-Hammock/dp/B00I2XLEL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1483687537&sr=1-1&keywords=hammock%2Byukon&th=1
>>
File: 71+G8KYiNbL._SL1200_.jpg (196KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71+G8KYiNbL._SL1200_.jpg
196KB, 1200x1200px
>>925172
>>925169
nægrœ are you a fatty-boom-batty or something? i've never heard of this. my friend is like 220 and he has the yukon outfitters hammy and doesn't have this problem. it's gotta be the straps stretching, not the hammock. you might need to get better straps. stay away from normal webbing, what you need is straps that are the same material as seatbelts.

ideally straps should be lashed at about head height with a nice sag down to just below waiste height and you should stay off the ground
>>
>>925176
Nah, 185 lbs. I agree, it's probably the straps.
>>
>>925176
>>925181
just go to a scrapyard and get some seatbelts froma a wrecked car and sew them yourself or go to someone who can
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-06-07-21-53.png (362KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-06-07-21-53.png
362KB, 720x1280px
Is this good for $50? This will be my first hammock. Is it worth getting the double for $10 more?
>>
>>925236
I hear those are decent-good. Most hammock doubles are just a bigger single and don't really fit two people well. If you want some extra room, then sure, but it's not a big deal.
>>
File: n1h8kqkbntyx.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
n1h8kqkbntyx.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
Tfw no qt sc/out/ bf to share my hammock with.
>>
I really want to start lugging only my hammock around on trips, but I'm always scared that I'll end up not finding a suitable place for it so I end up bringing my tent, bag, and pad. Help me.
>>
>>925236
In my opinion this is the best hammock on amazon. 11ft long and good suspension.

I like it.
>>
>>925172
I have this same hammock and I'm 225 lbs.

It's a very stretchy hammock, but not THAT stretchy.

Get some normal straps. The ones you have aren't even adjustable.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 365x243px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 365x243px
>>925656
what is cup you drinking from?
>>
File: 155835_00_d.jpg (40KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
155835_00_d.jpg
40KB, 940x940px
6'1
77kg/170lbs
Side sleeper

Hot weather
Bugs

I'm thinking about getting a TTTM Moon Hammock Ultimate Double with their brand of mosquito net. Size: 320 X 200 CM / 10' 6" X 6' 8"

I've never slept in a hammock before. Any reason you vets think this would be an unsuitable option?

I'd like a warbonnet but my money is tight and also I'd have to wait weeks to get it. This I can buy the day I want to pick it up.
>>
Any Ausfag got any recommendations for good hammocks that aren't too pricey? I was thinking of buying a cheapish molle backpack and slinging a a hammock on the bottom and going innawoods with a bro i game with.
>>
>>919848
Milsurp might be a good option. They have these quilted nylon blankets with ties on every corner. I usually use this as my dogs pad since it insulates so well, but I would love to test it out in the hammock.
>>
>>926403
Seen this:
>>926361
at Mountain Designs. Platatac in Melbourne sell Snugpak's hammocks. ENO can be had in a couple of places.
At the end of the day our best bet might just be to spring for Warbonnets.
>>
>>919927
I prefer a hammock because I have a bad back, I sleep in an ENO Doublenest at home and bring a Hennessy Expedition and a cheap generic hammock when camping. Generic for day rest when I don't feel like crawling into the Hennessy. Hennesy for sleeping in bug-proof comfort. I like bottom entrance hammocks for convenient night urination.
>>
>>925176
I use common tiedown straps (not the ratchet style). They are long, strong, and don't stretch.
>>
>>926459
>They have these quilted nylon blankets with ties on every corner.

Poncho liners AKA "woobies". Good stuff.
>>
>>926361
TTTM are kind of just ENO clones. I've never really liked them.

For anow excellent hammock that's affordable, get an 11ft Dutchware netless. It's as good as it gets for a standard fabric hammock.
>>
>>926471
Awesome, thanks a lot for the suggestions anon.
>>
Many years ago I spent a few nights in a GI jungle hammock. I used a 35 degree synthetic bag, sweat pants, long sleeve shirt, and froze my balls off.

This was mid July in the US upper Midwest. Seventy-five degree days, and maybe mid 40s at night. It WAS in a river valley, but still. The damn thing allowed all the cool air to envelop my body and penetrate everywhere.

Never again.

It was very comfy during the day, but by design, too cold for even mild weather.
>>
>>926844
Just because you were ill prepared doesn't mean it's the hammocks fault.

You need insulation under you. You'd have froze just about the same laying in the ground with no pad or insulation below you.
>>
>>926844
I've been warm in my hammock at 4 degrees F.
>>
for the under-insulation, whats a poorfag option? car window sunlight reflector thing?
>>
File: Hammock.jpg (317KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hammock.jpg
317KB, 1000x750px
>>926844
Yeah mang a 35º bag gonna keep you fairly cold compressed like that without an underquilt. Not to mention breeze and whatnot.

I've been hammocking for years and I'm still surprised at how cold it can be without an underlayer.

As an example, I crash on a cot in my friend's basement a lot in my 20º bag. During winter it's like 50º in his basement and it's actually very cold on my back, to the point of shivering. That's a canvas cot, very much the same as one of those GI hammocks. You just have to get used to what your cutoff temp is with your sleeping bag in there. I would recommend getting an old quilt or sleeping bag and making an underquilt that you can lash onto your hammy.

Pic is my old GI Hammock. Loved that thing, but finally outgrew it a few years ago and got a better one with an underquilt.
>>
>>926525
Thanks friend. Poncho like the big rubberized half shelter kind?
>>
>>927057
No, a poncho liner is not a poncho. It's called a poncho liner, but has nothing in common with an actual poncho.

It's basically just a quilted blanket with ties around the sides. It's surprisingly warm for its size, and is a favorite piece of gear of a lot of troops.
>>
>>924441
>my new bed for hipsters
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.