[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yukon/Alaska Exploration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

File: les_simpsons_016_alaska.jpg (72KB, 716x306px) Image search: [Google]
les_simpsons_016_alaska.jpg
72KB, 716x306px
Hey, /out/. First time on this board.

I have always had a fascination with the outdoors, especially exploring. But being born and raised and living in Boston my entire life has taken a toll on my sense of adventure.
What I would really like to do; is to explore the wilderness and settlements in Yukon and Alaska. As well as see the northern lights; or even live there. Also as a history buff, I studied the Klondike Gold Rush extensively in school; which I think will always fascinate me.
But my concern is, I don't know how to plan such a trip, and how I would travel from place to place. It's a total pipe dream right now, and was wondering if anyone here's been up there before; and could offer some advice or provide information/personal experiences about their time there.
Thanks guys
>>
>>917298
Shameless bump
>>
File: 20160726_201745.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_201745.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
Well if you want to go to the Yukon River, you would need to fly into Fairbanks preferably, and then you need to rent a car at a special place that will allow you to take the car up there. Once you rent the car you drive a couple hundred miles to the Yukon River. You can stop buy, get some food, since there is nothing else within 200 miles. And then you can camp there or keep going. If you keep going you can go to coldfoot, Wiseman, or deadhorse. Wiseman, where I have been, has some good off trail hiking around, beautiful scenery. It's on the outskirts of gates of the arctic, which is very nice. Lots of hiking and wilderness near Wiseman, town of 14 people. You can also drive to the tundra, a flat place which is very mushy to walk on. Expensive trip though. Pic related, wilderness outside Wiseman.
>>
>>917555
That's absolutely gorgeous. Thanks so much anon, really big help.
>>
File: DSCN4496.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4496.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
I recently hit up Alaska - it was awesome.
We went during June when the daytime was nearly 22 hours. My fiance and I.
We started in Juneau and stayed in a hotel in our first night, hit some bars in town and just hung out. Then, the next day I rented a car and we drove around the town, we hiked up the big mountain instead of taking the lift - it was awesome. Then we drove out to Mendenhall lake with glaciers and waterfalls and camped. We used a Kammock double hammock with a mosquito net and a rain fly. Most double hammocks suck, I would recommend Kammock, it was plenty big enough and comfy with a thick sleeping bag and blanket.
We continued driving up the coast and went to this island with a ton of Eagles near the fairy.
Then took the fairy to Haines then drove though Canada. Beautiful country - not much to it, pretty much empty.
Went back into Alaska (Tetlin? Lake) and camped. Then drove onto Fairbanks. Next we took off to Chena Hot springs which was awesome. The Fairbanks museum/information place hooked it up with all we needed to know about hiking around there too.
Then drove to Denali, camped.
Then onto Anchorage, camped on those badass little islands South.
Then flew to Nome and stayed in a little hotel for a couple of nights. Nome is weird, small, and expensive. I enjoyed the nature in the rest of Alaska much more.

We did all this in like 7 or 8 days.

Good luck!
>>
File: DSCN5082.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5082.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
>>917298
Forgot to mention until you said something about Gold - Hope, Alaska south of Anchorage is a beautiful little gold rush town. (So is Nome).
there is "Hope River" I believe we camped next to it was beautiful!
If you go in the Summer, and you are camping, bring eye covers to wear at night :)
>>
File: DSCN3594.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3594.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>918223
you were here.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.