[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tis the season

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

Its that time of year... Get /out/ and start collecting those acorns! At least for us southern folks with liveoak.

My fingers are killing me already and its only been two days.
>>
File: IMGP0563.jpg (152KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0563.jpg
152KB, 1000x662px
>>916658
we get bucketloads of acorns and bring them to the farm for their piggies. what the hell can i do with them myself? i've read it takes week to soak all the tannins out of them before they're edible for anything
>>
>>916659
Oh I dont eat them either. You could make a paste like flour out of them. Deer like them too along with pigs. But keep them away from cattle! No I boil or dry mine to use for the tannin itself.
>>
They have too many tannins to eat normally or kidney failure will occur. You can leech the tannins out over a few days using water with the acorn flour. Change the water often. I'm sure there are online guides about it by now.
>>
>>916668
The tannins are exactly what I'm after tho... Has many uses what I use them for is hide tanning and making ink and dye.
>>
>>916658
Best way to eat acorns is to feed them to pigs then eat the pigs XD
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20KB, 493x402px
>>916690
>>
>>916690
>not feeding the pigs to the acorns then eating the acorns
>>
File: 456456.jpg (69KB, 960x722px) Image search: [Google]
456456.jpg
69KB, 960x722px
>>919351
The pigs crap around the trees. Circle of life, man.
>>
>>916672
this
>>
File: 1479278379521.jpg (79KB, 411x766px) Image search: [Google]
1479278379521.jpg
79KB, 411x766px
>>919351
>Not stuffing the pigs with acorns then feeding them to almonds to bring forth full activation.
>>
I live in the southern hemisphere, so its summer at the moment. The moss oaks, European oaks and canary oaks in my town should start dropping acorns in a few weeks.

This year will be my first time collecting and leaching acorns, do any experienced anons have advice?

I plan to crush them into large-ish pieces and soak in cold water until it's clear.
>>
File: 1475035541269.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475035541269.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
full disclosure: I'm definitely not going to eat acorns.

but what do they taste like? Are they good in any preparations?

I tried roasted bay laurel (AKA pepperwood) nuts one time and wasn't very impressed. I wonder if acorns are really so different...
>>
>>920071
Boiling them the tannins come out faster and less likely for this shit to happen.. Pic related...
The live oak ones at least I think what happens is they start to ferment.. Even sometimes when your splitting them from shells they already start to ferment.

If you're wondering why I still have this on my shelf... I totally forgot this container of extra acorns. Lmao. But it doesn't smell nasty at all! It smells like almond extract its very sweet. Not sure I'm willing to taste it tho...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-31-02-08-51.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-31-02-08-51.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>921784
Wewlad forgot the picture.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.