[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/brit/out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 25

File: british-summer-hol.jpg (59KB, 468x286px) Image search: [Google]
british-summer-hol.jpg
59KB, 468x286px
Whats up all brits out there, how are you getting along with /out/ adventures this winter and holiday season?
This is a thread for all things /out/ in the UK including:
>Camping in soggy fields for £20
>Pictures of soggy fields you took while out
>Complaining about the weather
>Reccomending the best soggy fields to walk through
>Fishing in ponds while its raining
>Complaining about outside being full of Duke of Edinburgh kids
>Rating sheep if you're Welsh
>>
>>916538
Again with this pic?

At least it's not the one of the Queen, that old bag was horrid to have to look at.

I thought she would die before the thread would.
>>
File: IMG_0103.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0103.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>916538
Went /out/ on Dartmoor the other week. Comfy.
>>
>>916542
This pic is quintessentially british.
You have the swans, the flooded field, the caravans, the kid feeding ducks and the cloudy sky.
>>
File: image[9].png (581KB, 634x363px) Image search: [Google]
image[9].png
581KB, 634x363px
>>916542
But if you would like a different one, here you go
>>
File: 20161219_115812i.jpg (603KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_115812i.jpg
603KB, 1613x1210px
>>916538
was out in snowdonia earlier in the week. had to fish my gopro out of the lake, but was still good fun
>>
>>916538
>/out/ adventures
>UK
Survival spoons are on the way.
>>
Hiking and camping is awful for me as I'm ages away from any national park like Dartmore, all I have is cowshit fields.
>>
>>916654
Where you at anon?
>>
>>916552
>ducks

lad
>>
>>916549
too near of the river
mosquitoes kill you in the night
>>
>>916549
How is Dartmoor for just walking around in general and wildcamping? Thinking of going in January.
>>
>>916883
Not in fucking December they don't.
>>
>>916924
It's tip top lad. You can legally wild camp on most of it, realistically pretty much anywhere you like. January will be cold, wet and foggy.
>>
>>916944
>January will be cold, wet and foggy.
Hopefully less dog walkers about then. I'm feeling a new OS map coming on, I've never been there by myself before or really anywhere in the south (Exmoor or any of the woods).
>>
File: IMG_0104.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0104.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>917012
Map and a decent compass is a must. GPS is actually pretty useful when it gets like pic related, which it frequently does.
>>
>>916655
Just east of Bristol, if I want to get anywhere good its atleast 3 hours or so on the train or about 5 on a bus.
I was thinking about trying the Cotswald way trail this summer tho.
>>
>>917045
Know of any good places to leave a car for like 24 hours?
>>
>>917056
I sometimes just park in a residential street in Ivybridge, then walk up the Two Moors Way to Redlake or Piles Copse or wherever. You could do similar in any of the towns around the edge of Dartmoor.
>>
>>916603
10/10 lake
would've just jumped in and swam for the go pro that looks like such a crisp and refreshing body of water.
Provided there aren't leeches. Oh God anything but leeches.
>>
>>917046
Where to? Chipping Sodbury checking in
>>
File: 20161218_132400-1.jpg (3MB, 2988x1575px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_132400-1.jpg
3MB, 2988x1575px
Out the other day trying out a present to myself
>>
>>916549

Noice. Which part of the moor was that? It looks vaguely familiar.

>>916924
Bland. Very bland.

>>916944
>January will be cold, wet and foggy.

It's like this 90% of the year man.

>>917012
Don't be fooled by the tourist propaganda. Exmoor is complete shit compared to Dartmoor. Most of the land if private and you can't roam as much as you can on Dartmoor.

>>917056
Like the other guy said, somewhere in a residential area. There are a shit ton of car parks and laybys on the roadsides but the whole moor is getting notorious for parked cars being broken into.

>>917092
That's a nice birch log you have there. How much did it set you back?
>>
>>917098
Was expensive at £90. But it does it's job very well
>>
anybody up north, specifically northumberland? just moved back after living overseas for a couple of years and i'm looking for places to go /out/
>>
>>917046
Ahh wounded. I'm kinda lucky being near Manchester so it's 90 minutes North, East or South for me and I'm sorted
>>
>>917121

>Being near Manchester

Manchester is one of the harshest outdoor environments in the UK. It has a very low survival rate.
>>
>>916538
>>>917121

>It has a very low survival rate.

True. I have been murdered several times and that has been without even leaving my house.

And you can forget trying to camp out in the Trafford Centre they get really shitty about that kind of thing.
>>
>>917158

Unless you're a pikey and you turn up in your caravan with 12 kids then that's fine.
>>
>>917091
Sodbury too :) Anywhere I go here is just fields and shit, the common is okayish but thats about it.
>>
Anybody here /wiltshire/? Tell me where to go.
>>
>>917325
Really close, Yate Chipping Sodbury is like a 10min drive at best from Wiltshire, a tiny train or bus ride even.
>>
>>916538

Just went out to the New Forest, was alright until about 3am on the first night when the flu hit. Aching muscles, sweats, the whole 9 yards. Shitty feeling to have in the middle of the night in the forest.

>mfw co-worker said I was stupid for going out in the cold
>mfw it's a virus so it's more likely I caught it from some cunt on the underground
>>
>>917307
Try Lower Woods that's where I go
>>
The nice thing about living off Manchester is escaping to the Penines or the Lakes at every availible opportunity.
>>
>>917676
Exactly right. North Wales is within easy reach too. I can be driving into Snowdonia within a couple of hours
>>
>>917691
Ah the joys of Prestatyn. Have you walked that end of the Offas Dyke Path by any chance?
>>
>>917695
I have indeed. In fact me and my dad many years ago did the whole path starting from Chepstow end.

The Dee Valley is a really nice stretch.
>>
>>917701
I enjoyed breakfast with the wild(ish) ponies in the Blue Mountainy bit. The people I met along the path were the chattiest I'd ever come across walking and quite a few offered me the use of gardens for my tent, which was nice because I looked like a tramp with people issues. Might well be the cheapest national trail route (partly) in England too.
>>
>>917737
Any plans for next year? I'm gonna do the Cumbrian Way but take a couple of weeks over it and bag a load of peaks along the way.
>>
>>917870
I was thinking about the cumbrian coastal path actually or Southern Ireland on my bike.
>>
>>917871
Southern Ireland is amazing - definately worth it if you get the chance.

If I get chance I'll also be taking my kids up to Orkney and maybe on to Shetland
>>
who /scot/ here?
>>
>>917876
I wish there was compassionate leave, but for /out/ stuff, like territorial army but with /out/ releated volunteering. 25 days holiday a year isnt quite enough.
>>
>>918178
True,and yeah I know exactly what you mean.

I'm fortunate these days as I have the time and money to be able to do as I please but for most people their hands are tied.

Have you read 'micro adventures'? There's some great ways of thinking outlined in there.

If you really set your mind to it, it's amazing what you can manage to achieve in a weekend.
>>
>>917325
Also wiltshire here.
Tried salisbury plain? The ridgeway?
>>
I thank God every day that I was not born britsh
>>
>>918412
So do we m8.
>>
Merry Christmas m8s
>>
>>917695

>Prestatyn

too fucking close to Rhyl for me
>>
/Scot/ here, curious to know what you guys all think of the lake district, being dragged down there in September and was looking for some good spots to check out.
>>
File: cader.jpg (5MB, 4320x2880px) Image search: [Google]
cader.jpg
5MB, 4320x2880px
went swimming in cader a while back , cold but you get used to it quickly.

too many people, there's jews and blacks on trips there, not like i mind
>>
>>918796
not my picture lads
>>
>>918724
Kinda like the Highlands but shorter.

Just avoid the tourist sites like Windermere and you'll be fine.
>>
Midlands fagit here, wondering what your take is on wildcamping. I know it's not allowed but I've been before in very secluded places and it seemed fine.
What actually happens if someone spots you? Does anyone actually care? How would anyone come drag you out of a little woodland area miles from any form of road or civilisation? Seems odd to me, I didn't even know I couldn't wildcamp until not too long ago when my gf found out I never used a campsite lol.

Also tips on keeping warm during winter outings, I used to be fine but recently I feel like I'm freezing in my tent at night when trying to sleep. Have had my sleeping bag for a lifetime, and my tent hasn't changed either in quite a while.

I thought hot water bottle, or even one of those zippo handwarmers but I'm not convinced they're worth the investment.
>>
Happy Christmas /brit/, what did you get for /out/ing this year? My girlfriend and I got each other sealskinz.

>>918724
I grew up in the Highlands and Islands but love the Lakes. Agree with the other anon though, I accidentally tried to drive through Windermere town last time and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. It's definitely less wild than the Highlands but that also means all the best bits are all grouped together so getting around is easy.

>>918824
Set up late, pack up early and don't go within sight of a path and you'll be fine. Wild camping isn't a heinous crime and everyone agrees the fact it's illegal is total bull.
>>
>>918185
Ill check those out thanks

>>918724
Start somewhere like Scarfell and walk to the coast. Book in at the drunken duck or stamp house. Lots of good eating even Londony stuff around these days but you do have to pass Windermere like those other anons mentionned. That's the adventage compared to the highlands, lots of adventure activities and good eats packed into a smaller area.

If you're looking for extreme enviroments to explore some of the ravines, cave pools and abandonned slate quarries are exciting and dangerous.
>>
>>918824
Try a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, or maybe you're colder because it's winter.
>>
>>919202
I've slept in winter in my sleeping bag even out on the porch of the tent (tried to fit 7 people in my 4 man tent) and it was quite ok. Not comfy, but I didn't have much trouble sleeping even with the rain.

It's just a recent thing, I can't remember if I was lucky in previous winters and temps didn't drop too much at night since I never noted them. Even felt cold last spring.. Are you fine in just your average sleeping bag?
>>
>>919242
I'm pretty comfortable but my bag isn't that old. I'm not sure but maybe your sleeping bag is just worn out, I don't know if that's a thing but it very well could be if its old and used.
>>
File: 1477346895066.jpg (351KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
1477346895066.jpg
351KB, 800x537px
What's the longest anyone here has hiked for and how did you deal with the cost of campsites and B&Bs if the camp sites were full?
>>
>>916603
idwal?
>>
I've recently moved to Portsmouth, what are your opinions on South Downs and the New Forest? I think I prefer the New Forest personally.
>>
>>917045
>getting lost in a fog where everything looks the same

It's like you don't even use your minimap on your HUD.
>>
>>920423
I live in Southampton but dont have any of my camping shit, if I did I woud do newforest in a heartbeat.
>>
>>920398
Longest in the UK - about 5 weeks. I don't use camp sites unless I absolutely have to.
>>
>>917098
>Noice. Which part of the moor was that? It looks vaguely familiar.

50.441327, -3.912247
>>
>>920398
4 Weeks. Lots of B&Bs and Pubs along national trails will let you camp in their gardens for a fee, costs for that range between £5-£12. That's cheaper than some campsites, but the facilities wont be as good generally. If you find a suitable wild camping spot maybe 5-6 miles into your 12 mile walking day seriously consider setting up and taking a rest day to read a book or louche about on the hill, dont think of it as missing your distance targets but as getting a free day /out/. If you're faced with a £70 fee for a BnB it's not cheating to take public transport to the nearest campsite.
>>
>>920423

It's a bit meh compared to places like Dartmoor and Cornwall
>>
has anyone been up ben nevis recently
>>
>>916549
/out/scurb. How does this setup protect you from the rain like cant it just piss all over you from side without cover? Alway assumed some American thing where they like "what rain?".

On that note, where can I learn/informed myself bout out shit? Other than standing around bunch of 11 year olds doing DoE or muhh army.
>>
>>916538
anyone got suggestions for /out/ ventures living down south? I'm in east anglia and really want to explore more of the lakes/pennines but it's almost unfeasible to go for a shorter period than a week
>>
Bath here, who is down for an outing sometime?
>>
>>916538
That picture reminds me of the time I went camping with my family.

>go to campsite near Base of scafell pike
>family bring 9man tent I can stand up in
>takes an hour to pitch as it's so fucking huge.
>walk up scafell pike day after we pitch it.
>wake up the morning after to a river outside the front of our tent.
>see an airbed float past.
>cram 9 man tent wet into car as best as possible
>can barely get in the seat as mother packed literally a small van load of stuff

Never camp when your family are fucking glampers
>>
>>917056
I leave it in Princetown on a residential street everytime. As you drive in from the tavistock direction you can just pull up opposite the church and leave it there
>>
>>924890
Hahaha kekikus maximus!

Well while we're on fucked up /out/ camps in the UK....

>be me
>joined my bro and his mate at a campsite near Glenridding early April a few years back.
>get drunk on whiskey and see brothers mate fall drunkenly through the massive tent they had brought with them. Wrecks about half of it.
>Spark out and sleep until morning
>head up Helvellyn but snow storm means we turn back at Red Tarn
>walk back through the village and look across the lake
>see my tent in the distance but...
>their tent has been totally blown away
>sing another chorus of 'there ain't no black on the Union Jack' and go buy more whiskey.
>>
>>924890
>>924899
This is why I always stay in something with four walls and a roof. Can't be sacked with all these (albeit hilarious) mishaps.
>>
>>925185
Yeah but try lugging a house onto dartmoor. I suppose if your in Scotland you could always use one of the hiker shelters.
>>
>>925194
What if my house has wheels?
>>
test
>>
>>925250
fag
>>
Anyone in Dartmoor this weekend? Looking for a partner to go wildcamp with. I'm male if that matters.
>>
>>920423
>>921320
What's good in the new forest? I've been a couple of times and thought it was pretty dull. I'm about an hour away and need some inspiration
>>
Just packing for three day wild camp and about to drive to test for some food to eat while there. Any suggestions lads?
>>
>>918724
Lake District is quite nice when it's not pissing it down. Make sure you go climbing on Helvellyn
>pic related
>>
>>918724
>>925981
one more for good measure
>>
>>924890
> Be wee little
> Camping in france with family in a 6 man tent
> Make a gang with english (and somehow) french kids
> German kids get angry because they're loners
> Start chucking rocks at us
> We outnumbered them and skileld them, pelt them with rocks and beat the shit out of them
> Job well done, go to bed
> Wakeup.mp3
> Theres a fucking stream flowing the the middle of out tent
> a fucking stream
>>
>>925983
Striding edge is fucking lovely. A great (very mild) into to scrambling too.
>>
>>926421
*intro, not into
>>
>tfw live in Essex
>have to travel for hours for any proper /out/ing
>>
>>925983
mental
>>
>>925983
Striding Edge? Red Tarn down to the left? I've never seen it so green.
>>
File: appleytower.jpg (73KB, 750x497px) Image search: [Google]
appleytower.jpg
73KB, 750x497px
>>916538
dont suppose anyone on here lives on the isle of wight?
>>
File: 17-kindersnowtop.jpg (973KB, 2400x1536px) Image search: [Google]
17-kindersnowtop.jpg
973KB, 2400x1536px
Anyone wanna come for a hike in the Peak District this Saturday? Weather looks perfect for a winter walk.
>>
>>928397
need a bit more notice but im up for the next one
>>
>>916941
>>916883
and not around running water. fuckin' tart.
>>
>>926744
that's because the saturation is dialed up to "instagram"
>>
>>916603
striders edge?

every fucking lake looks the same
>>
File: 1484149535830.jpg (124KB, 960x732px) Image search: [Google]
1484149535830.jpg
124KB, 960x732px
People who shouldnt /out/ story

> know some 60 year old public school boy who smells like old cheese
> he goes on hike with 10 year old son and his dog up a mountain in the lake district
> as they get higher, the weather starts getting worse and he starts getting second thoughts
> 10 year old wants to keep going and try and reach the top
> 10 year old persuades him because of gravity knowledge metoers
> they carry on up as the weather gets worse because 10 year old
> get trapped on the fucking mountain
> cheesey guy rings mountain rescue
> £3 000 of taxpayers money an hour rescue helicopter comes to save them
> as the helicopter lines itself up to winch them the downdraught of the helicopter blows the dog right of the fucking mountain
> F
> cheese blames mountain rescue

poor doggo

This man was the Green party candidate for my area last election, keked hard that day
>>
>>926421
Ive ended up coming up against a sheer wall of ice and had to scramble back down shingles with a 100ft drop

it kills someone nearly every year, people think its a lot easier than it is, ramblers tend to underestimate it

>>925981
>>925983
one of the most beautiful places ive ever seen though

great pictures

somebody once landed a plane on the top plateau back in the 20s
>>
>>925981
Literally a big puddle.
>>
>>928789
of glacial meltwater, made of melted big snow
>>
>>928655
hahahaha

rip dog
>>
>>928655
>green party candidate
Haha, fantastic punchline
>>
>>928655
>>928900
>>929083
>

Idiot deserved it.

A dog takes up the environmental footprint of a small to medium sized car, yet that hippy would probably bitch about someone having a 4x4
>>
>>929092
Surely you could reduce that significantly with a bit of tact?

Also any tips for Striding? Going in a couple of months.
>>
>>916883
>mosquitoes
>in england

Top kek
>>
>>918796
Try Elephant rock next, you can jump off of the top right into the lake below.
>>
How is the Lairig Ghru in winter? I'm going up to Scotland in a week and was considering walking it
>>
>>929853
Well cold I would imagine
>>
>>928673
>Ive ended up coming up against a sheer wall of ice and had to scramble back down shingles with a 100ft drop
>it kills someone nearly every year, people think its a lot easier than it is, ramblers tend to underestimate it

Well nothing that can't kill you somehow is fun.
>>
>>929094
>Also any tips for Striding? Going in a couple of months.

Enjoy it!

There's only one bit that's remotely iffy, but fine if you're confident on your feet. You'll know it when you get there, just a small down climb. It's a great walk/scramble, though the slog up to where it gets interesting can be a bit tiresome.
>>
>>930210

Also, if you get up striding no problem and want the next small step up as scrambling goes, then try sharp edge (the fun bit is short, but my god it's quality) or Jacks Rake (the fun bit is quite long, and as it's a 45 degree ish slope up the side of a cliff rather than a ridge, it's a little different from the more common ridgey type affairs. Both are grade 1 scrambles, tougher than striding edge, but neither present any real difficulty other than keeping your head when next to a big drop.
>>
File: IMG_1365.jpg (4MB, 6348x3944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1365.jpg
4MB, 6348x3944px
You chaps missed a great day out on Kinder, pic related.

>>930210
>>930213
Cheers m80. Hopefully it won't be too snowy to climb, but want to bring crampons in case. I love snow but also don't want to die.
>>
>>918796
if you keep outside of a 35/40 minute travel bubble of the A55 road it's generally nice and quiet wherever you go. South of Dolgellau and as far over as East as Corwen is generally sweet AF.

Northern Snowdonia is rammed all year now- massive over promotion of the area and ease of access. you see more rubbish and dogshit on trails now that you do in city streets, there's even talk of introducing a paid ticketing system and park capacity to deal with it by respective landowners
>>
Me and a friend are planning to do a hike from Movrich to Fort William ( Allong the Cape Wrath trail) in Feb

Anyone have any experiences/tips? I've read that it will be very boggy in places and that the river Loyne may be impassable that time of year.
>>
File: 11750715.jpg (129KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
11750715.jpg
129KB, 720x960px
>>926744
It is Striding Edge, aye. Caught it in between two showers and sudden light while climbing down, though my camera settings did help with the greenery.

>>928397
Whereabouts in the Peak are you headed? The Kinder Scout trail starting in Edale village is quite tame but also looked good when I was there in summer, and the village itself has a nice, cozy pub to return to after the hike.
>pic related

>>929094
Striding edge has this bit that can be quite iffy if you're afraid of heights (like me). There's this section going down where you have to climb for a bit, and the boulders you need to get on top of are up to 3 feet tall, smooth stone with nothing to grip on. You would think it's no big deal but when you have a huge drop on either side it can be very unnerving. Also, I hope that by a couple of months you mean next summer, after the weather has settled a bit. I know people who went there in early spring and had to be taken to hospital with helicopters, so don't risk it.
>>
>>930949
>Whereabouts in the Peak are you headed?
See >>930316, was a great day.

>Also, I hope that by a couple of months you mean next summer, after the weather has settled a bit.
We're going for a bit in February but will only do as much as the weather allows. A good day with lying snow should be fine as long as we've got the right gear, right?
>>
File: IMG_3186.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3186.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Overlooking Ullswater from Glenridding Dodd, It's slightly off the beaten track as there aren't any official public footpaths to the summit and it's only takes around 30 minutes to get to the top from glenridding, 10/10 would recommend anyone in the western lakes take a look.
>>
>>918824
Midlands fag here too, where you at?

Anyone /Tamworth/ here? Looking for an /out/buddy, all my friends are pussies and don't like being outdoors.
>>
>>931836
I say Tamworth and now realise that's oddly specific.
who /westmidlands/ here?
>>
>>916538
I don't really out I used to go camping with my dog (had him put down on friday) - I use a hammock and tarp sleep system, get water from the river and shit used to make my dog a small bed under me anyway me and a group of friends are on about going camping in the summer for a piss up and stuff (I will be cleaning up after us) would using hammock, tarp etc make me look autistic?
>>
>>916538
Irishfag here, can anyone help me track down a good sleeping bag? Ideally one I can bring on long cross country trips, I'd be sleeping under my tarp.

I'd like to be able to use it year round but anything I find is going for about 130+ euro online.
>>
Damn brits have jokes. Color me pleased. If I'm a USAican geologist, looking to travel the island for 4 weeks, what would say is a must see? I know where I can find fossils and basalt pillars, but what truly impressed you on your /out/ adventures? Is it fine for a woman in her mid twenties to travel alone? Especially if I'm relying strictly on public transport and camping out as much as possible.
>>
>>933933
>Is it fine for a woman in her mid twenties to travel alone?
Yes, nobody's going to attack you. You're probably safer /out/ than you are in a town or city.
>>
>>929335
>>mosquitoes
>>in england
we have 33 species in the UK, cock-sniff.
>>
>>933933
>Is it fine for a woman in her mid twenties to travel alone? Especially if I'm relying strictly on public transport and camping out as much as possible.
yes, people are helpful out in nature
>places
Ben Nevis, Old Man of Storr, Paps of Jura, Cobbler, Sgurr na Frithe, Ben Dorain in Scotland, I couldn't speak for the other parts
>>
>>933933
also can help you with accommodation if you're coming to Glasgow
>>
File: goatfellsummit.jpg (53KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
goatfellsummit.jpg
53KB, 600x401px
>>934407
also the islands, God, the islands. If you're coming to Scotland, you must see Inchcailloch in Loch Lomond, the Isle of Arran with its beautiful Goatfell (pic rel)/ Sannox peaks, Southern Mull is great with sandy beaches and Iona just a mile off, Raasay between Skye and mainland Scotland... there are tons of isles worthy of visiting
>>
Where can I find spots or trials in rochdale, preferably that I can load onto my garmin gps
>>
>>933933
South Coast for fossils, you can pull em out of the soft clay with your knife. Used to do it often.
>>
If you're ever in the Lake District, around Little Langdale, try out Greenhowe Caravan Park (don't be put off my the name). The couple who run it are the best people I've ever got to know as friends, and Angis cooking is amazing! If you get to know them you'll find out about all sorts of places you can try out, they are a fount of local knowledge. I used to help out with their sheep when they had them a few years back, before they focused on the tourism side.
>>
>>932643
Sorry to hear about your pupper.
As for sleeping arrangements, go with what you know works. You may teach the others some things.
>>
>>930723
Waterproofs
Waterproofs
Waterproofs!
Was the wettest, most miserable /out/venture we did.

Having said that, we were newbies to the out doors (and still are not much better.)
>>
>>917098
>Bland. Very bland.
Sounds quintessentially English.
>>
File: 11196232.jpg (158KB, 960x592px) Image search: [Google]
11196232.jpg
158KB, 960x592px
>>935068
England is boring only if you fail to do your homework beforehand
>pic related, it's the Ashdown Forest
>>
File: 12095240.jpg (227KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
12095240.jpg
227KB, 750x1000px
>>935068
>>935379
on a similar note, I have a couple of pics from my wandering across the UK, could post a few, especially for those who claim that the UK is as bland as Young's Bitter

this one is Snowdonia, Wales
>>
Whats the laws with camping? specifically in a nature reserve - as long as we're not being twats we'll be fine right lads?
>>
>>916883
mosquitos<
england<
flowing water<
winter<
/out/ ever lives the basement and isn't just an edc board<
>>
>>917120

Cheviots.

The entire coast.

Keilder is like an hour or two away as well.

Where are you roughly?
>>
>>917120
>>937372

Tynemouth here, up around cragside and harbottle is nice but not very wild, i like to go across to the lakes when i really feel like being out
>>
File: 20170125_140036.jpg (3MB, 2194x1690px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_140036.jpg
3MB, 2194x1690px
Walked 40 miles of the cotswold way at the weekend, started sat, finished sun. Wild camped the night. Much better than I expected the cotswold way to be!
>>
Stratford upon avon here
>>
>>937401

Have you ever been to Thrunton wood? It's just north of Rothbury/Cragside. I need to do more exploring in there. There are some ace bike trails and the view is epic. Like you say though, it's not the most wild place being a FC wood and all but still.

Where's hardbottle? What's there?

Tynemouth or lovely btw.
>>
File: IMG_8540.jpg (281KB, 1222x815px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8540.jpg
281KB, 1222x815px
Tent suggestions boyos? I'm looking at buying a 1-2 person vango. What do you use?

Bit frustrated browsing most equipment threads full of people suggesting nice-looking tents only available in the US.
>>
File: simonside 002_thumb[5].jpg (135KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
simonside 002_thumb[5].jpg
135KB, 640x480px
>>937604

Harbottle has the ruins of a castle and really nearby there is an iron age hillfort, and a bunch of bronze age cup and ring carvings and burial mounds and some nice walks along the top of simonside ridge
>>
>>937725

I have a vango banshee 300, got it for 2 man use so we could still fit gear inside, seems to do the job
>>
>>937360
There ARE mosquitoes in england, but only about as much as New York which is near as none compared to the what most Americans are used to.
>>
>>937471
since you seem like you do wild camping can you look at >>937357
please?
>>
>>937357
Not actually sure. Always thought it was illegal, never had any problems with it, a farmer saw us on the cotswold way while we were packing up and he had no issues with us camping
>>
>>937725
I've got a blade 200, bit tight for 2 but you fit. Weighs about 2.1kg, only one pole, so super easy to put up/take down, however in strong winds it can be a bit unstable
>>
>>920398
Spent a week walking along Hadrian's Wall, coast to coast from Newcastle to Carlisle. Just camped using my bivvie bag in fields by walls away from the roads at dusk, packed up after breakfast in the morning. Usually brought a hot lunch at cafes on the route. Used a YHA B&B on the last day after two days solid rain, needing to dry out.
>>
>>938045
Cool thanks. Anyone know any other brands to check out?
>>
>>938063
Depends how much you want to spend. I'm dying for a cuben fiber tent, but they're soo expensive.
>>
>>938186
Can you even buy that in Europe? I'm thinking up to 200 pounds. Would prefer less as I'm not a super frequent hiker.
>>
File: BP0081-Durdle-Door1.jpg (93KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
BP0081-Durdle-Door1.jpg
93KB, 800x533px
>>934608
To the west of Weymouth there is a long beach called the Jurassic coast, its named that god a good reason. Generally the south coast is the best for coastal geology, Durdle door is a must.
>>
>>938472

nice to swim through the arch in summer
>>
>>933933

the lake district is worth a visit, just avoid Windemere its always packed with tourists, Ullswater and Wastwater are my favourites
>>
>>938257
You know what? Never even looked to see if you could. Just figured I'd end up buying from US and getting it shipped. Honestly though, for a cheap decent, not too heavy tent, I like my vango blade 200. If you would prefer two poles, then the banshee 200 would be good.
>>
Going around Skiddaw and Blencathra in a couple weeks. Anything else around there o should check out?

First time in the lakes
>>
>>940604
I'm going then too, depending on the weather I'd like to do Helvellyn and Scafell. What kind of gear are you bringing?
>>
>>918824
The Zippo handwarmers are shit, you're right not to bother
>>
>>941473

Gonna try out some new gear i got for xmas so i decided to wild camp. Got the RAB ignition 3 to try out and the exos 48

Not taking poles are anything like that though
>>
Anyone here /northumberland/
>>
>>942292
In that case I'd just be wary of any trails with lying snow and ice. Sharp Edge can be deadly at this time of year.
>>
>>925983
If only those colours were real
>>
>>931847
Dudley borough here m8
>>
>>942451
Yes, Tynedale
>>
>>942583
Thanks dude, i don't plan on going crazy.

Are you doing a day thing or out there for a little while?
>>
Best walk I ever had was in Scotland, great country
>>
>>942885
I'll be there for five days but not camping if that's what you mean.
>>
File: jh.gif (538KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
jh.gif
538KB, 500x340px
Getting preped to walk the Pennine Way in a month or two. Anyone else walked it? Or done any other of the longer walks in the UK?
>>
>>942886
When should you go? I hate midges with a passion
>>
sounds like fun.
>>
>>943262
Well if you don't like midges, don't go in summer
>>
>>942671
Dudley too - where do you /out/?
>>
>>942671
>>943334

c'mon we all know it's pronounced dood-lay
>>
>have to do an outdoor survival course
>never done anything remotely /out/ other than some bivi'ing before this week

I'm going to die, aren't i
>>
What's the most /out/ city in the UK? Inverness?
>>
>>943510
Correct.
>>
>>943678

What about a larger city, somewhere in the region of 100k+? Lancaster perhaps? You've got the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District not too far away.

t. planning to escape London
>>
File: 1480331040084-pol.jpg (14KB, 202x439px) Image search: [Google]
1480331040084-pol.jpg
14KB, 202x439px
>>943752
>Wanting to live in a city

...Londoners...
>>
>>916549
>3.76mb
Nice megapickels you got there. Your lens is absolute garbage though.
>>
Redpill me on wild camping thinking of going to "syke" I think it's called near middleton - what should I know in terms of gear, laws and unspoken rules
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.