[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to hunting alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: deero.jpg (77KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
deero.jpg
77KB, 650x650px
Hey guys, got my hunting license this year!
long story short, i've been /out/ at least 10 times to hunt birds and small game, but haven't shot once yet. I just don't see anything. I don't have a dog and don't plan on getting one
i see a lot of roe deers, crows, blackbirds and buzzards, thats basically it.

so any tips on hunting alone without dogs?
im interested in duck, pigeons, pheasants rabbits hare, river rats
i got a 12 gauge semi auto shotgun

im not that annoyed in not getting anything, as i enjoy the time outdoor even if i come home empty handed, but since i don't see one animal, i figure i'm doing something wrong
>>
>>916513
Learn to be quiet and still, become one with nature until nature forgets you're there. Learn to notice any movement or anything out of place. Find tracks follow them. Learn the land, learn where animals go, why, and at what times.

It will come with time.
>>
>>916516
how long you stay still ?
>>
There are different techniques for hunting different animals, but in any case you can't just stroll through a wood lot and expect to see things most of the time.

First off, and this is cool for non hunters as well, find a comfortable spot in the woods. A place you can sit perfectly still for a long time. Wear either camo or at least earth tone colors. Sit there and just wait, after about twenty or thirty minutes, the animals will forget you are there and start moving around again. The woods will come alive.

If you want to hunt ducks you need to find a pond or some place ducks like to go. If you want to hunt squirrels you need to find oak trees or other hardwoods where they live. If you are hunting pigeons you need to know where they roost, where they eat, and the flyway they use to get between.

Hunting is way more than just shooting, it is becoming in tune with the outdoors, the animals, and how it all works together.
>>
>>916529
Until nature sounds pick back up and you're no longer a disturbance. Then you can observe what goes on when man is not there.
>>
>>916536
>>916541
if they see me, but i don't move, do they really see me ?
do they see colours?
>>
>>916577
I think the question is do you really see THEM?
>>
do birds have a sense of smell?
>>
>>916656
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+birds+have+a+sense+of+smell
>>
>>916577
If you look directly at them and make eye contact the will know. Animals recognize eyes, especially of predators.
>>
Birds see colors, they are brightly colored and they see those colors. They have either no sense of smell or very reduced in most cases, there are exceptions, like vultures.

Most of your mammals like deer and such, see some color, but not as many wavy lengths as humans. Reds and Oranges don't stand out to them like they do to us.

Most animals key more on movement, than color and shape for detecting danger. That and smell for most of your furry prey. Break up your outline, cover your bright shiny face and hands and you will blend right in.

As far as they can tell when you stare at them...well I have never seen any scientific proof of that, but it sure seems like it. I don't stare down an animal I am getting ready to take a shot at, I do kind of look away, but it may just be superstition.
>>
>>916513
the first and last hour of they day are the most productive. not sure about regulations in your area but where I am I can spotlight if I am on private land, and you can really rack up the rabbit and hare numbers at night. helps that they are classed as a pest and you can shoot as many as you want.
>>
File: SUNP0174.jpg (737KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
SUNP0174.jpg
737KB, 2048x1536px
>>916513
If you really want to know what goes on during all hours of the day I recommend getting an inexpensive game camera.
Place it near water or tails. About waist-high for larger game, lower for ya wee bunnies and other small varmints.
>pic if from one of mine.
Pro Tip: when hunting rabbits at night or on foot its good to know how to whistle. Occasionally, this may cause the animal to stop long enough to draw a bead.
>>
File: SUNP0288.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
SUNP0288.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>916922
>I can't spell tonight.
Also, do you think he knows I'm watching?
>>
when u guys say stay still do you mean not even slightlty turn the head when you hear a sound? like statue still ?
>>
>>916935
Depends on what your cover is like. The goal is to make as little noise as possible. So if that means pretending to be statue. Be a statue.
Trust me, you'll freeze the moment you initiate a staring contest with a deer from 60+ meters away.
>>
>>916935
The more still you can stay the better, but it's okay to move if you do it so very slowly to not draw attention. If you can move only your eyes, do that, but if you need to turn your head just go very slowly.

A bird, like a turkey, will catch any movement at all. You twitch a little finger, they can pick it up. On the other hand, some animals, like pigs don't see that well at all, you can get away with a lot of movement and not get detected.

Also, an advanced skill is watching the animal, like a deer, and waiting until it looks away, or it's head is behind a large trunk to draw your bow. Which of course requires movement.
>>
Don't leave orphans
>>
>>916513
you need to zero in on what kind of game you are after and then identify the habitat/areas that type of game lives in op. All of the animals you noted like fresh water, except rabbits which can survive on very little water. Rabbits crap near where they live, and the browsing they do on grasses and shrubs can be obvious. To find rabbits find rabbit crap and browse. Their burrows are also obvious, and even the areas they urinate will be stained for some time. Once you find an area with rabbits you can basically come back to that same spot all the time because they hate to move far from their burrows. Most bird species stay within x distance of fresh water and have daily movement cycles from roosts to water to food areas. Learn to spot feathers and droppings left behind, and to listen for their calls. Roosts or nesting sites can be super obvious or really well camouflaged, depending on the bird, research that. Typically every type of game has one or two signature things they do that will give their presence away in an area, and it will be obvious relatively easily. If you dont see that spoor or browse or whatever, its because the game isnt in that area. Then you need to move on to someplace else. Learning to read track can be helpful for predators and large game (and people), but small game like upland birds are going to be hard to find just based on tracks. Feathers and droppings and dust bath areas are easier to identify (for me).

Standing still can be useful for seeing animals that are out there in the area you are in, but you need to identify likely habitat areas for the animal first. Then you can scout it. Then find a spot to post up and hunt from or stalk through.
>>
>>917215
This post nailed it!

I would like to add that hunting has got me real in tune with weather and animals habits surrounding it.

Sleet/snow? Stay home,most game is hunkered down. However they will generally be out quite a bit after a good storm.

On the flip side a nice warm sunny day after a week of below zero and those cunts will be out big time, soaking up the free heat

Also things like shelter from wind/predators..

Love small game hunting cause I've got my eye out for so much.
>>
when i stay still i keep thinking about another hunter shooting me :(
>>
>>918555
Wear orange camo. Most of what you'd be hunting is color-blind, is the pattern, not the color, that make it hard for the prey to see you.

There's actually several hunters that claim that Hawaiian style floral shirts are just as effective as woodland camo, in regards to hiding from deer.
>>
>>918557
in thick brush, would it be that visible?
>>
>>918561
Any good hunter won't shoot at movement, they'll wait until they have a clean shot and be certain of what they're aiming at. An inexperienced hunter might shoot at movement, but they probably wouldn't be able to hit you at any reasonable distance.

I camp during hunting season in forest camo, specifically trying to not be seen by people. I've seen hunters and never gotten shot at. Wearing orange should be sufficient in all but the most extreme cases of stupidity on the hunters' part.
>>
>>918557
>>918557
>Hawaiian style floral shirts
ah, the Kramer method
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.