[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_2070.jpg (68KB, 640x439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2070.jpg
68KB, 640x439px
Hi /out/. I'm from nyc and I recently moved upstate to a very woodsy area. I love hiking but Everytime I come across people in the woods I dont feel I can trust them.

I think this has something to do with living in the ghetto for some time. And getting into conflict with other people.

What do you guys do? How friendly should one be?

A lot if these mountian foll r really nice but they are hard to read cuz they're pretty rough looking.
>>
get a big dog

say hi
>>
I get tired of these bait threads.
>>
>>916456
Im serious
>>
>>916454
sounds like a good idea, plus you'll have a doggo
>>
>>916453
Don't worry, niggers are more dangerous than skinwalkers.
>>
I hate cities cause of this. When we I've been to one its so uncomfortable

You should acknowledge that most people on trails aren't scum and are there for the same reason you are.

I normally say hi if I pass by someone. I've encountered parents with thier autistic children, groups of teens just looking for the water access to dive into, groups of teens looking to smoke, etc. All of them have never caused me trouble or fear.

If anything it's the best place to be running into random ppl cause you know they are just out to chill.
>>
File: 20161221_100559.jpg (561KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_100559.jpg
561KB, 2048x1152px
>>916453
Black guy from Brooklyn that lived in the ghetto (bed stuy), then moved update NY for 8 yrs and is now in Cali. Also live hiking and nature generally, and let me tell you you, no place weeds out assholes like the mountains. Protip, the higher up you get the lower cm your chances of running into an asshole. There's meth, thugs of all races and urban decay to be found all over upstate, but rare to find that element in the sticks. I prefer Adirondacks, but I lived in the southern tier and Ithaca so hiked locally. Out here in California the same holds, except that I have mtn lions to deal with and bears. Pic very related for the solution, I wouldn't be concerned about the 2 legged threats.
>>
>>916453
I'm from a Small town.
I trust people in the forest.
I'm comfortable being alone for miles and miles.

I get nervous in the city.
So many psychos and murderous around.
>>
>>916574
>454 Casull out of a 3 inch barrel

Nice job losing out on muzzle velocity faggot
>>
>>916610
The Ruger Alaskan is meant to be carried on your person and deployed when the bear is on top of you at muzzle to fur range.

Ruger copied Gary Reeder's Custom Guns, which was doing great business with Alaskan Guides and his original custom version, which predates the factory version by several years.

But, you didn't know that, did you?
>>
>>916617
What the absolute fuck are you even on about.

The simple fact is that a round that hot loses out on muzzle velocity because the projectile doesn't have enough time to reach it's full potential in such a short barrel. You should have either got a .38 or a longer barrel instead of spending stupid amounts of money on a cartridge that doesn't even get to fulfill its purpose.
>>
OP, yes you should be afraid.

This hostle fucking lunatic is out there, somewhere, hating things he doesn't like. >>916620
>>
>>916626
>Lunatic for criticizing things that are objectively inefficient

Someones a little triggered
>>
>>916627
>i don't like it therefore you are a faggot

You need to work on your social skills.

t. I don't even shoot .454
>>
>>916610
Black guy with the Alaskan, and no shit I've done the research asshat. At intimate contact range with full house 454 loads my muzzle energy is comparable to a 6in barrel 44 mag. The reason I have the snubbie is because it's not a hunting pistol but for self defense. I'm not out to take game, per my original post I'm a hiker primarily concerned with bear repellant. This carries VERY well, and can drop any animal threat and take a man's head clean off :)
>>
>>916617
I own the Alaskan, and even I didn't know that :) The recoil though can split your hand open if it's cold and you grip firm enough, also a flamethrower at night.
>>
>>916701
I've been patronizing Reeder's Custom Guns since he moved from FLA in the mid '90's.

Gary's .41GNR is a .44RemMag necked down to .41, custom dies available from Redding, is probably his most popular wildcat. Great external ballistics.

But he can do anything you want, as he puts it ...in six or eight months... and specializes in Rugers. He originated the "Alaskan" and Ruger factory picked it up as a catalog gun.

Never felt a finer trigger pull than his.
>>
>>916715
Huge thanks for all the info, I've put about 100 rounds through the Alaskan, 340 to 360 grain 454 from Hornady, Buffalo Bore, Federal etc. I don't count the laughably underpowered 45 long Colts which dirtied up the barrel but felt so weak I thought the gun was misfiring.

The trigger pull is certainly on the heavy side and a but clunky, also had about 10 failure to fires from what looks to be shallow hammer strikes (primer dented but didn't detonate). I'm either going to ship back to Ruger or get a smith to work on the trigger and hammer.

Single Action is great, but I don't know that I'll have the luxury of time in a shtf scenario. What other guns do you own? I'm just the Ruger, a glock in 10mm and an Ar-15.
>>
File: 20161203_133727.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_133727.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>916719
A few of everything.
>>
File: 20161203_131715.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_131715.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>916748
>everything

Is an overstatement...
>>
>>916751
Can I ask what the weapon on the left hand side is? Just curious, never seen it before. Looks like a handgun with a rifle barrel and short stock.
>>
>>916785
Keltec Sub2000, folding carbine. Takes Glock 17 magazines.
Nice, if you can find one. Still cheaper and lighter than Uzi.
>>
>>916748
Jealous! Would like to have a collection, do you conceal carry? Here around San Francisco it's literally impossible
>>
>>916803
not impossible
very fucking hard
it took me three fuckings years to get it
city resident
>>
>>916843
You're like some kind of unicorn you understand, down here by San Mateo County there's all sort of friends of the sheriff/donators of politicians horseshit happening. Happy for you!!!
>>
>>916453
Never trust people.
They are scum
>>
>>916878
i don't trust you
>>
>>916891
Scum.
>>
File: 20161203_092920.jpg (901KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_092920.jpg
901KB, 2560x1536px
>>916803
We have open carry and Constitutional carry, concealed carry w/o permit.

Example, I can conceal a PDW w/o permit.

We also issue ccw permits, which is attractive for travel due to interstate reciprocity, other states acknowledging your ccw permit due to agreement. A fairly long list.
>>
File: Nnoo5ZG.jpg (143KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nnoo5ZG.jpg
143KB, 450x600px
>mfw people ask about dealing with folks innawoods
>instantly becomes about guns
>gun people can''t wait to whip their shit out and talk about guns
>>
File: yogi.gif~c200.gif (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
yogi.gif~c200.gif
5KB, 200x200px
>>916574
>California
>afraid of bears
There are only black bears in Cali, bro. There are not to be feared. Small stones and harsh language will drive them away from your picnic basket
>>
>>917080
problem, commie?
>>
File: 20161222_130235.jpg (534KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_130235.jpg
534KB, 2048x1152px
>>917080
>>917166

Really want to believe you, and the fee black bears I've seen have generally been spooked or entirely uninterested with my presence. That said I know that MANY more mtn lions have seen me than I have seen (just the two I encountered last year), but animals aren't entirely predictable and a mtn lion ambling about sounds a helluva lot different than a pissed off kitty in the dark that wants you gone. The sidearm is for the 2% of times where 'raise your arms to look big and make noise' doesn't work. I yelled at the mountain lion and it yelled right back, not the sound from the movies, but what you hear at 2:10 followed by 3:32. Thought it was a baby bobcat at first but full grown lions make that high pitch noise (lure maybe?) too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZCAQP6eQM

So yes, my Alaskan is coming on my backcountry trips, you'll never feel as exposed in your life than when a wild animal much stronger than you, that can see 6x better than you at night and jump 25 feet decides it's fuck these humans time.
>>
>>917080
Also I'm 240 and jacked, never was a gun guy even though I grew up in the ghetto (not OP). I only resorted to this when it dawned on me that animal attacks while rare can end horribly if you're not properly prepared. This is awful click bait in the title, but if a black bear was behaving like this towards you, would you want a weapon, bear spray, or a really annoying voice to protect you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWHNIbS8cE

Last link, this is recent and though I'm in NorCal, this exact trail in Socal I've hiked hundreds of times when I lived in LA and have seen black bears on twice:

http://ktla.com/2016/10/10/possible-bear-attack-being-investigated-in-angeles-national-forest-sierra-madre-police-chief/

Until you run into a wild animal that's pissed, please don't judge those of us who have for wanting to protect ourselves, let alone loved ones. I doubt the guy in the story ever goes to that trail unarmed again.
>>
>no black bears, wolves or cougars in all UK

And is there even a single one on the Iberian Peninsula, Italy or Western Europe?

With the absence of all threatening wildlife combined with the absence or high restriction of firearms, it's no wonder there is disparity of consensus between the USA and Euros, or even west coast USA vs. east coast.

Still, canucks should get it.

Btw, my last cougar sighting was this last Oct., SW USA. And a road kill elk that literally had the flesh licked off each bone dry in Nov. Black bear was Oct. '15.

I carry 2" .38 Special +P Airweight SW or 5" .44 Dan Wesson fixed bbl.

>mfw covered
>>
>>916453
>implying the people you see /out/ as well also don't want to kill you
>implying you're ever safe while other people are /out/
>implying the people who are also /out/ are there for the same reasons as you to enjoy nature and get away from other people

Don't listen to anyone here OP, people are the most dangerous part of /out/ and should be treated as such.
Scream and make yourself look bigger than them to create a dominant presence. That should keep you safe and scare them away.
>>
>live in Upstate NY
>dont have a family member with massive plots of land all to yourself to fish, hunt, and camp on

you have to go back
>>
File: Screenshot_20161222-192844.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161222-192844.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>917434

You see, (you) get it. Are you comfortable with the penetration on the 38 +p rounds? This is the dude with the 454 Alaskan, and due to recoil and $1.75 per round bullet costs I'm considering other options. Also I have some Buffalo Bore and Corbon hardcast, are you using jhp? Not me but I like this holster because it doesn't interfere with the hiking pack
>>
>>917441

I have other choices... :)
>>916748

I like the Smith Airweight for hiking as a signaling device and intimidator. And of course, the weight. As has been said, rocks are 90% effective for black bear.
>citation needed
Hell, I used to harass a nuisance bear in Ruidoso, NM that was well over 300#. Neighborhood trash bin was on my corner and the damn thing would upset my Aussie Trimark to no end, almost nightly...

My Dan Wession .44 Rem Mag is much heavier, but I love it so and am 6/6 12" plate at 50 yrds. It rides in a waist belt Bianchi, just right.

The Ruger Super Redhawk pictured has a cross draw chest rig that eases the distribution, but is not highnoon fast by any means.

There is a 6" SW M629 with a custom trigger floating around here somewhere. Trigger is too light, imo. But who asks thier smithy for a heavier trigger?

The DE has a waist belt holster and leg drop holster, both rather impractical. As is the piece, tbqh. But I can alway beat them to death with it!
>>
>>917465
At:
>>917450
>>
File: Screenshot_20161223-112047.jpg (216KB, 1392x710px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161223-112047.jpg
216KB, 1392x710px
>>916453
>>
File: 20161227_171140.jpg (1017KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161227_171140.jpg
1017KB, 2560x1536px
>>916453
>what do

Show open carry.
>>
>>916453
trust everyone but always cut the deck.
>>
>>916574
yea but the trade off is the higher you are the more likley you are to get through hiker trustafrain douches in leggings.
>>
>>919773
>Trust, but verify.
>Ronald Reagan
>>
>>919770
Op can't "open carry" in upstate New York, now can he, or can he?
>>
>>916610
>noguns
>>
Try a PMR-30 for /out/ edc?

<30 rnds of .22WMR on hand in a very light package!

I say less than 30 rnds because thirty rnds never seems to work best in these mags.

Still, the 22 mag is a powerful lil' pkg. Ten or twenty of those in you could make for a bad day.
>>
File: 20161228_153116.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_153116.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>920343
Oops..
>>
>>916453
I am compelled to ask but do you wear timberland shoes when hiking?
>>
>>920139
Pretty sure you can open carry rifles and such in NY but handguns must be CC'd and require a permit..
>>
>>920355
I like this question!
>>
>>920360
>carry rifles and shotguns
>hide handgun

Well, you wouldn't want to scare New Yorkers by displaying an open carry handgun while you open carry a rifle or shotgun.

Poor things.
>>
>>917434
Italy has bears and the Iberia has wolves.
>>
>>920544
Thank you.

Are they a hazzard attacking hikers and farmer's small children or are they a beaten scarcity, surviving in hiding like Jews in Nazi Germany?

Arizona, USA "technically" has the reintroduction of the Mexican Wolf, but good luck finding one.

I consider the Chuppacabra a more viable /out/ threat than the Lobo.
>>
>>920552
In Spain farmers were killing wolves and putting their heads in roundabouts and poles because they were attacking cows and sheep. It was a shit storm with the Guardia Civil (police) crying for info on Twitter and such.

In Italy there were actual bear attacks on people, some municipalities allowed them to be hunted despite being a protected species. I will try to find a few links, hold a sec.
>>
>>920562
>I'm in it for da bears

AZ ~'98: one rancher with dogs shot out 23 cougars in one season. Too much for on man, IMO these days. He was caught. How many aren't?

Hazard? Sure, but that does not demand extinction.

What is the hazard in Detroit or Chicago (their Bears are no threat this season)?
>>
File: lobo-la-doriga-tineo-3.jpg (25KB, 318x450px) Image search: [Google]
lobo-la-doriga-tineo-3.jpg
25KB, 318x450px
>>920552
>>920562
About wolves in spain, seems like there up to 2k there and up to 300 in Portugal. This year there were more than 4k attacks on cattle.

http://www.elmundo.es/cronica/2016/12/22/585443ace2704eda6e8b45be.html

Italy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3176231/Dozens-bears-reintroduced-wild-Italy-set-hunted-killed-series-attacks-humans.html
>>
>>916453
Everyone edges to one side of the trail, drops their eyes, and increases walking speed once they are passed me.

Thus, I don't have any trouble while out hiking.
>>
>>920567
I feel for and understand the farmers that have thousands of €€€ of losses but I'm not ok with killing a species that is near extinction, or even if they're not. Only for population control.

Now, it's pretty unrealistic to think that in small and overcrowded places like Spain or Western Europe animals and people will not fuck with each other interests because desu there's little to no food for predators to be able to survive without attacking cattle.
>>
>>920570
>A pic
Awww
>B runner gets ten stitches
RRREEEE Kill them all!

Thank you for helping me to understand.

Credit for the reintroduction, but brown bears from Italy through Slovinia, what are they expecting?

>mfw winners win, losers lose, in spite of the best intentions
>mfw where is the short faced cave bear now?
>>
>>920585
No problems, bro. But yeah it's like you say, there's no winning in this situation, there will both complaints from farmers or conservationists. There's not enough land.

I read a few weeks ago that in Idaho they were doing a pretty amazing job in regards of the wolf population reaching healthy numbers.

Btw because of that pic of the of decapitated wolf Spaniards were comparing it to terrorism, people were mad as fuck.
>>
>>916454
This isn't a good idea OP. Passer-by's will be reaching for their pepper spray. If you are white you should be OK. If you're black you need to be extra nice to people and probably help a few out to get a good reputation.
>>
>>920594
>not enough land

I beg to differ, but there is enough land.

There are too many Homo Sapiens.

Just ask the next Neanderthal you meet.
>>
>>920596
240 lb nignog here, if it's just a dude or dudes on the trail (white or otherwise) then I don't really care if they're uncomfortable around me, I don't get out of the way and normally ignore unless greeted. On the other hand for women and kids I ALWAYS try to ally their fears. I step to the side and let them pass, do a quick sprint by if they insist on go first, say howdy but don't fish for more convo beyond that.

I like big butt's and I cannot lie, but I also don't cat call or take a creep peek at the chick's asses when they pass. I can empathize with what it must feel like for them, but if you're a beta male then I can't help you.
>>
>>920346
>>920343

So if anybody has a suggestion for a carry holster for the Keltec PMR30, I am open to suggestions?
>>
>>916453
>be polite and courteous
>stop being a cowardly faggot

Grew up in the sticks of upstate NY. Don't come off as a holier than thou city slicker cock suck, and you'll be fine.
>>
Just be polite, smile and say hi.

I find that the smaller the place, the safer it is.
Sure, you still have the odd case of the town's friendly pædophile, or people growing funny plants or mushrooms, and maybe some stupid kid who's into the aforementioned growths burgles a house and you talk to him or his folks and it all works out.

Now, out of these few people, even fewer are going to have an interest in going /out/, so your chanses of running into a shitcunt aren't too great.

If it's anything to you, I come from a town of 500 (and rapidly dwindling) people and I never really feel comfortable in the cities, what with all the urban youths and all the scruffy-looking people walking around you don't know and could fully well be desperate druggies or nutjobs about to explode.
People also don't answer you when you greet them in the streets, either pretending they can't hear you or actively avoiding you. Incredibly rude, and doesn't exactly do anything to defeat the stereotype that city folk are a bunch of unlikeable people.
>>
>>920623
U sound like a retard.
>>
>>920355
No. im white. I dont act like a nigger.
>>
>>920803
Order of magnitude more ideal than actually BEING retarded you faggot
>>
>>916620
a .38 is not gonna help him with a bear.
>>
Simply Rugged Holsters.

simplyrugged.com

Nice.
>>
>>916843
How'd you manage that
Former SF resident who now lives in LA
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.