[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is goretex worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: 1468445428592.jpg (105KB, 634x465px) Image search: [Google]
1468445428592.jpg
105KB, 634x465px
is goretex worth it?
>>
Depends, but in many cases yes.
What activities are you going to be doing and are you thinking of rain-jacket/pants or are we talkning boots?
>>
>>915561
I'm going to be camping/hiking for 5 days next summer and I was thinking about getting my stuff now because of the Christmas deals
>>
>>915561
and apparently the place I'm going to constantly rains
>>
>>915557
More importantly, why do those AK47's have no mags and wtf cheek weld is that?

Btw, "worth it" is subjective, so worth it compared to what?

Cotton, $300, $125, wool, what?
>>
>>915574
idk. if i can afford it, is it worth choosing goretex over other jackets in general
>>
>>915575
If you look to The Sportsman's Guide and don't mind West German flectarn?

These true Goretex pcs can be had for $20-40 usbux.

Good milsurp. But I like flectarn.
>>
>>915582
>The Sportsman's Guide
do you think it would be warm enough
>>
I had a marmot rain jacket and a goretex pro shell, the pro shell was much larger but when you are backpacking in the rain, especially intense rain, the goretex is fucking awesome because it keeps you dry and for some reason it's breathable so you dont get too hot.

For boots as well goretex is awesome because unless you have to submerse your ankle your feet stay totally dry and even if you do soak your boot they dry out relatively fast and stay warm wet.
>>
>>915584
Shell jackets aren't for keeping you warm, son.
>>
>>915584
Go look lazy bitch.
>>
>>915582
>The Sportsman's Guide
>>915584
Then that goofy polack will hound you relentlessly with his catalogs until you're dead, and maybe even after that.
>>
Jacket - yes if you do not have the option to move away from the rain because reasons.

Trousers - yes, if cycling or prone to lie in the snow, moist ground etc

Boots - only if expecting limited moisture. Once you get GTX boots wholly wet - you're done. I prefer regular leather + boot fat + chang of socks. Or even SealSkinz.
>>
>>915557
are you stocked up on wool?
>yes
then go ahead and start getting teh goretex
>>
>>915646
>Once you get GTX boots wholly wet - you're done.

Disagree. I often cross marshes where the odd wrong footing or section might see me all but submerse my boot.

Goretex will wet out, by definition of it's function as membrane. That'll happen regardless of context, you're just as likely to wet out goretex trousers sitting in the wet, or a jacket by exposure to torrential weather.

OP - just go try on some jackets. lower end goretex is what it is, just find one that fits you well and call it done. Oversize it slightly so you can wear insulation underneath.

Be conscious of the cut, too. I fucking hate high waist cut mountaineer jackets, I like my hips and ass warm.

And check the hood, a lot of the hoods designed to be helmet compatible are trash when you're not wearing a helmet.
>>
>>915662
Interesting.

From my experience with Lowe Zephyr GTX boots - you're good for a long while, but hopeless to dry in the field once they do succumb.
>>
>>915557
Just try it.
>>
File: Water coloumn.jpg (14KB, 342x147px) Image search: [Google]
Water coloumn.jpg
14KB, 342x147px
>>915564
>>915569
I was in on a long-distance hike in Scotland this summer, so that will be down your alley.

Yes, since it rains a lot you absolutely need rain clothes, and unless you will not be active in the rain (which you will since I assume you want to be able to hike in the rain) you need those clothes to be breathable.

The jacket is the most important, and here I would recommend something that has a high water coloumn rating (at least 20,000 mm - see pic) Even though its breathable you can still get sweaty so pick a jacket with good ventilation - full front zipper, cuffs that can be adjusted and zippers for ventilation in the armpits are great too.
Even though all such jackets are advatised as water-"proof" expect to get wet underneath the shoulder straps and hip belt after hours of rain. That you just have to live with, and this is also why you need to be wearing wool or synthetic underneath

For pants a lighter shell would be best (more breathable, less water resistant), since they won't get the same water pressure as your jacket. If you can get a model with zippers all the way the legs its great, since you can take those on/off whithout removing your boots - this is also great for ventilation.

Lastly boots: I wore waxed full-leather boots whitout gore-tex. Normally I find this water proof enough for my /out/ use but if I was going on this trip again I would prefer some with a membrane. It just rained so much and sometimes for days without stopping.

Good luck OP
>>
File: Scotland.jpg (319KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Scotland.jpg
319KB, 2048x1536px
>>915902
Pic related. Gore tex pro-shell jacked and active-shell pants. Leather boots. Also remember to pack fucking water proof! I had a soaked sleeping bag one day since I had tore holes in the plastic bag it was in.
>>
>>915667
I wear Salomon quest4d,

As long as you're not standing around in deep water they seem good.

And you're right, once they're wet they're a devil to get dry. Thanks to that membrane again. Then again I have no qualms with roasting my boots over the fire.

Bigger problem I've had with GTX boots in the past (but not these ones, yet) is puncturing the GTX membrane - either from repeated flexing or from sharp toe nails.
>>
>>915903
>hammock fags suck it
>>
>>915557
Wool + waxed cotton in rain. Fuck off with meme-tex shit.
>>
>>915945
This is bad advise. I like waxed cotton for some activities, but for several days of hiking in rain-land waxed cotton is going to fucking suck and he will hate himself for not bringing proper water-proofs
>>
>>915949
You prolly hate steam power and mechanical typewriters.
>>
>>915945
Fine for a day out when you're returning in at night, or for an overnighter that doesn't involve hiking, but for multiple day trips with hiking and inclement weather, bad advice.
>>
>>915557
Personally don't like it in my boots. Gets stupid hot even in 50F. Once your feet get soaked with sweat, it's blister time and it takes forever to really get dry, especially around the toes. Feels good if you're just standing around in the wet though or have to step in some puddles when it's really cold.
>>
File: P1080865.jpg (5MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P1080865.jpg
5MB, 3264x2448px
>>915667
this. I run Lowa Tibet GTX and as long as im not crossing rivers my feet stay dry. I rarely don't cross rivers though, often knee to waist deep crossings in NZ backcountry and they take fucking ages to dry out after a mission. stuffing them with newspaper and changing it often definitely helps.
>>
>>915945
Wool and Ventile is god tier if you want to manage wetness rather than try to prevent it. It's a shame there's isn't affordable ventile clothing like there is gore-tex.
>>
>>916900
Nice pic. Southern Alps round January, looking at the rata.
>>
>>915557

for boots in cold weather w/ moisture wick sock, sure

also keep a poncho, my ten cents. lightweight bivvy for sleeping bag
>>
Boots with gortex are not water shoes. If I'm going to be crossing water higher than my boot I will wear something proper for that.
>>
>>916948
If I'm crossing more than 4, or 5 at a push, inches of water I will just stop and take my boots off. Unless it's the depths of winter and for some reason I don't think my feet will warm up again quickly. I can deal with wet boots but I'd rather not. Rarely am I in such a rush that I don't have time to.

In summer it's the best feeling, especially after you've been walking for a few hours and you're hot.
>>
File: gaiters.jpg (184KB, 1410x1500px) Image search: [Google]
gaiters.jpg
184KB, 1410x1500px
>>917014
>>916948
Get a pair of gaiters guys! Great for tramping
>>
>>915557
Only on boots.
>>
> Goretex vs others "breathable membranes"... Honestly... no.

Event /Dry Q breathes better
Neoshell/ Ascent shell is air permeable
Other laminates are just as good, probably don't last as long though do to delamination.
Pertex Shield is more water proof than goretex but doesn't breath as well
>>
>>916932
the 8th of Jan last year. good catch. heading into the Tuke this Jan. big mission walking in and out, got no mates keen to split a heli in, all busy with families now.
>>
>>917568
>>917037
>>916932
>>916900
NZbros? On my out?
>tfw finally heading up to Silver Peaks after 10 months of no /out/
Feels good man. I wear Asolo 535s, no goretex, just lots of beeswax dressing. My feet stay nice and comfy through rain and river crossings, and any sweat in them is always dry by morning.
>>
File: GoreTex fabric.jpg (44KB, 320x407px) Image search: [Google]
GoreTex fabric.jpg
44KB, 320x407px
>>915557
> is goretex worth it?

Yes.

Because nothing ruins a good time faster then being cold and wet and nowadays, GoreTex gear can be had for a reasonable price, so there’s really no reason not to have at least GoreTex boots and a jacket.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.