[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5'11 Backpack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9

File: 1481917434486.png (446KB, 840x824px) Image search: [Google]
1481917434486.png
446KB, 840x824px
I'm new to /out/ and want to invest in a good backpack, I also really like mil surp stuff would any of these be a good investment?

Feel free to suggest others

http://www.511tactical.com/rush-12-backpack.html

http://www.511tactical.com/rush-24-backpack.html
>>
File: 1481968513105.png (76KB, 448x448px) Image search: [Google]
1481968513105.png
76KB, 448x448px
Anyone?
>>
if you seriously want recommendations about investing in a GOOD backpack, do not buy tactical stuff.

buy an internal frame backpack made fore backpacking.

tactical stuff will only cause more headaches (backaches) down the line. you will regret buying one.
>>
>>915162
for*
>>
>>915141
If you wanna go milsurp, it's hard to go wrong with an ALICE pack in good condition.
>>
File: 1478577097329.gif (742KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1478577097329.gif
742KB, 500x600px
As others have said above, it depends what you will be using it for.

as >>915165 noted, an Alice pack will serve you well for every day use. I have a Medium, which holds about ~39 Liters, and can hold a sleeping bag, pad, water, jacket, and food. If you need a bigger pack, as one might use for "backpacking", consider an internal-frame pack from any major brand (Osprey, ULA, etc.)

now if you don't mind, I'm off to sleep in the fucking woods lol
>>
>>915171
Have fun famalam. Keep yer nuts warm.
>>
>>915178
I'm sure he will.

I wouldn't worry about it though.
>>
File: N&iacute.jpg (30KB, 307x305px) Image search: [Google]
N&iacute.jpg
30KB, 307x305px
I just really like mil surp stuff especially this sort of camouflage, probably my autism talking tho
>>
File: thubz.jpg (7KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
thubz.jpg
7KB, 262x192px
>>915201
I mean, if it tickles your jollies then go for it. I can sorta see the appeal, but I wouldn't go for it personally.

To me, I look at it and I see something that is unnecessarily heavy, but not exactly more durable or versatile. It's jack of all trades pack- it's neither a strict civilian pack which will (most likely) suit your /out/ purposes better, and it won't be a real military pack, which has it's own merits (and can easily be found cheap).

The thing is, if you look at the pack and start dreaming about the outdoors, whereas your random kelty/osprey or milsurp doesn't take you there, then by all means go for it. Unless you're doing some super technical shit, and you know your life depends on that pack, then fuck it it doesn't matter what you are using.

also, you might have better luck over at /k/ about this pack
>>
File: 1475068130886.jpg (71KB, 640x622px) Image search: [Google]
1475068130886.jpg
71KB, 640x622px
>>915141
Got my 5.11 72h 5 years ago.
been abusing it ever since .mud
water.cold,rain (bought a cover in 2015 tough),and its still fantastic.
yeah its heavier then a same size camping bag.
its designed for trained men.so if youre not somehow fit ,or have the right frame ,youll be not happy with it . If you looking for a small bagpack like the 24 / 12h it doesnt really matter ,because there is almost no weight difference to normal bagoacks.
40-55l it's were it gets interessting.
>>
File: maxpedition-pygmy-review.jpg (130KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxpedition-pygmy-review.jpg
130KB, 1200x1200px
>>915201
i know what you mean, senpai.

Though id still go with a regular solid color. This pygmy ii from maxpedition is the one id like as a day-pack.
>>
>>915201
>>915141

Okay, just because it has camo or molle on it does not make it milsurp.

Military surplus is the stuff left over from what the armed forces actually issues. The shit you're posting is just tacticool crap.
>>
File: WGI_0041.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
WGI_0041.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
I've had my Lowe Alpine Vector Commando for 38 years. It's held up very well. The actual military issue stuff I bought back then is no longer serviceable.
>>
If you are buying military surplus the biggest concern is finding stuff that actually fits. Never just order stuff from a catalog, go to an actual outfitter and try stuff on.

People have recommended ALICE packs. Alice packs are fine, but built for a very 'statistically average' height individual and not all that adjustable. I am a hair over six foot and a standard ALICE pack is too small to fit correctly on me. You might do a little better at 5' 11'' but they seem to be built for someone about 5' 9''.
>>
>>915141
>>915154

there was this exact same thread a few days ago.

fuck off.
>>
>>915885
Did you happen to get a medium sized ALICE pack?

Because I'm 6'5" and my large ALICE pack fits just fine.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (417KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
417KB, 1200x1600px
I highly doubt the op will still check this, but go to ebay and just search "assault pack."

You'll find the bag that the army is actually issued, and it's great. 100 bucks for the multi cam version, and it's a spacious bomb proof bag with incredible stitching. Mine held up for 6 years of marches, training and ftx, and I wasn't nice to it, and it wasn't new when I got it. Yet it still went back to cif clean as a whistle, you can't beat that.

For the more serious expedition, upgrade to the actual ruck with a frame, another 100 dollars. Same quality of the first bag, just bigger, with a belt, and frame. The assault pack can attach to the ruck via the straps on both bags.

The only real downside to the bags is the actual weight of the bags themselves, but I've spent weeks hauling those things up and down mountains, packed full of shit, and lived. They aren't for ultra light, but they sound like what you want.

In my personal life, I've actually fit a tent and clothes and food into an assault pack, for reference. Picture related
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.