[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey SC/out/s newbie here. I have read that synthetic jackets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
Hey SC/out/s newbie here. I have read that synthetic jackets significantly lose their heating capabilities over time. Can somebody elaborate on that and under what type of usage. I have pic related and it's mostly used in the city thus not really harsh conditions.

How much lifetime should I expect more or less? Thanks!

I know out is a slow board so to not make this thread useless this is also a out jacket thread
>>
>>914224
Down/Synthetic tend to degarde (at different rates) when you compress them, stuff them in a sack/bag, etc. The lifespan of a well cared-for jacket is over 10 years though. It's more likely to get ripped by a crackhead mugging you before it "goes bad".
>>
>>914232
OK good to hear my jacket is mostly hung thus not really compressed and stuffed away. Do you have any tips on how to take care of synthetics jackets? Thanks
>>
>>914235
make sure to dry it out if it gets wet

it'll still keep you warm, but mold etc
>>
>>914238
OK anon thank you
>>
Synthetic
> 10 years for light to medium use with good care
> 5 years from medium to hard use with good care
> less than 2 years with medium to hard use without caring for it.
> less than 6 months for hard use and complete negligence

Down

> 15+ years for light to medium use with good care
> 10+ years from medium to hard use with good care (note the outer material will degrade faster.)
> less than 2 years with medium to hard use without caring for it and leaving it compressed
> less than 6 months for rich fags that are too afraid to wash it.
>>
>>914344
Thank you very much anon but do I have to use any special product for care? Or just paying attention not compressing keeping it dry would be enough ?
>>
>>914347

Washing

> Follow care instructions on garments label
> make sure it is down safe if you choose down (I assume this is it doesn't strip the natural oils of down)
> leaves no residue detergent or soap
> dry completely (important)
> keep it clean (you don't need to be autistic about this, but when the insulation gets dirty, it will break down faster and won't work as well)

Other care

> do not leave compressed 24/7
> You're more likely going to tear the outer fabric before anything else so bring a patch kit with you.

Products I've used with success

> Atsko sportwash (same as Nathan sportwash but much cheaper)
> Nikwax Down direct, techwash, woolwash
> Tenacious tape for tears (much better than duct tape [can be washed and hold much better])
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 276x183px
>>914355
Thank you anon for both answers this was exactly what I was looking for. Hope in the near future I can start actually going /out/ also
>>
They lose their loft slowly though. They don't disappear overnight. I have an Atom LT and an Atom SV and they are both ~5 years old and probably half as warm as they used to be. Still good and lightweight, but not as puffy as they once were.
>>
>>914364
Do you fall into the medium to hard use category as the anon described above?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.