[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Hunting Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 30

File: 20161215_033454.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161215_033454.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I see the last one got archived and I need hunter help! You guys down to continue discourse?
>>
>>912945
OP here. Wondered if the taxidermist I was talking to in the last thread could tell just from my photo; day and half through the pickle, does his face look a mess or does it seem fleshed enough? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>912946
Wtf is that
>>
>>913485
It's disgusting, of course. I would think that is obvious.
>>
>>913588
>>913485

youlibtard babies

if you wouldn't fuck that thing raw you've probably never left your mothers basement
>>
File: 20161006_223520.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_223520.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>912946
I'm not the guy that was on yesterday but I do this kind of thing. It looks good enough to me. You don't wanna mess with it anyway after its been in a pickle or you are gonna loose hair. Just remove any excess flesh after it semi dry. Are you checking the pH?
>>
>>912946
You also should remove carteledge from the ears next time. If they start to smell bad after a few days of drying just remove them.
>>
>>912945
What are you pickling it in? Water?
>>
>>914304
Didn't have anything to test pH. :/ Just tried to measure everything very carefully. >>914311
I actually ended up removing the cartilage during the fleshing double check on pickle day 2. I feel much better about the whole thing after realizing removing that wouldn't fuck anything up.
>>914428
Vinegar and water, 1:1, and pickling salt, 1lb/gal.
>>
>>914689
Never heard people using vinegar solution for fur. I use a similar solution for making pickles.
>>
>>914826
After finding a flood of different techniques online I consulted the last hunting thread. Followed that guy's advice. Now have a preserved but dried hard hide. I was under the impression, following the steps I chose, it would be finished now. Not the case. One person told me now I need to dry scrape the hide more and that will do away with the oils I'm seeing, then all I'll have to do is use leather conditioner to get it soft.
Opinion?
>>
>>916180
I pickle. 4gal water, 4gal vinegar, 4lbs salt.
5 days soak (I have left a deer skin in for two weeks once, turned out fine.)
Scrape beforehand and wash the shit out of the fur I hate dirty pickle water.
Stretch out on a rack and apply Trapers Tanning Solution. They say one bottle does one deer skin, but I get two out of a bottle. You can also apply the solution and fold the skin so skin sides are touching overnight then rub the skin soft.

I'll post pics later when I'm off work and thread is still alive.
>>
File: 20161006_223459.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_223459.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>916180
You have to break it in if you are wanting something pliable. You are also gonna wanna remove any excess you can to make it thinner. If that's what you are going for then remove the excess first while it's dry. Then take a moist towel that will cover the dried leather. Roll it up if possible, if too stiff that's ok. Then place the hide and towel inside a garbage bag. In 24 hrs you should have something you can work with. Once it's semi rigid (not loose like it came out of the pickle, but not bone dry) you have to break it in constantly as it dries. You can run it over a fence post, bar, stool, etc. I'll run it over a bar stool turned upside down or a barbell handle. This is the hardest most tedious part of the process. You can buy tanning solution if you want, but since you are trying to do this with just stuff lying around its not 100% needed. If you have any leather care products for natural grain leather like obenaufs you can use that if you want. Just keep breaking it in every hour or so as its drying. I've done it before but I don't really mess with it. I just put the hides on stretchers or boards and let them dry flat so I can hang them on walls or other things. Only reason to break it in my opinions is if you are making garments.
>>
File: 20161127_170231.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_170231.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>916521
>>
>>917457
deer had lost a patch of hair on something, I usually make leather out of shins like this.
>>
File: 20161127_170259.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_170259.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>917459
forgot pic
>>
>>917460
>>
>>917719
Coon
>>
So I'm thinking of getting out and starting to hurt to next year. Here in Ohio they require I take a hunters ed class to hunt pretty much anything minus pests / varmints. Are these classes complete and utter bullcrap? If they're not going to show how how to track, rig a tree stand / blind, or field dress a deer I'm not interested in spending 12 hours over three days doing the in person sessions. I have a feeling it'll be some old poor bastard telling me over and over I can't hunt with my AR or how much blaze orange I have to wear.
>>
>>914689
if you're going to do a salt/vinegar hard hide you should consider presalting very lightly. its helps bunch up the fat and you can hand pick the rest of the flesh off. also that seems like a heavy dose of vinegar. i always did half to one but your results may vary.
>>
>>918046
down in Georgia the course covers basic sign identification, animal id, and field dressing. but yeah you'll have to sit through the legal/safety stuff but it is important to know
>>
>>918046
I had the option to do an online course, pass it, then go take a test in person. There was an option to do the route your talking and I've known people that have went that route. Just hope you don't get that one guy trying to argue laws all day. Learn your shit prior then just zone out during the actual bullshit of the class. If anything it's funny as hell seeing those people at the end too dumb to pass a class designed for children.
>>
Ded bouncer
>>
File: 20161226_203500.jpg (5MB, 2467x2469px) Image search: [Google]
20161226_203500.jpg
5MB, 2467x2469px
>>918975
Resize
>>
>>918976
Hunting those looks fun as fuck. Hunting any pest animal usually ends up being fun. I would take a trip to wherever you are (is it Australia or New Zealand?)
Shipping a legal rifle for hunting might be a pain.
Also, I've seen roo skins tanned, looks beautiful with the tails on.
>>
File: 20161224_210658_001.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161224_210658_001.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>919057
I'm in New Zealand, Yeah it is fun as fuck. I either hunt them on foot or from a truck (day shoots or spotlighting) we get quite a few when we round up the sheep and cattle from the hills. This was christmas eve
>>
>>919057
Yeah getting a rifle into the country could be a pain. You need cali style cuck stocks and limited mags on semi autos. I hunt with 223 243 270 300 blk303 308 30-06 and a 12 gauge anythig smaller risks non fatal body shots
>>
How do I get involved in hunting. I just got my first gun, but I don't know any hunters. Besides taking the hunter certification course, where should I start?
>>
>>919426
I'm in California if that helps.
>>
>>919388
If that isn't a photo from the southern hemisphere I don't know what is.
>>
File: IMG_20161227_181134.jpg (409KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161227_181134.jpg
409KB, 1536x2048px
What general tips do you guys have for butchering a deer? I got my first one a couple weeks ago and didn't really know what to do with it. I'd only got squirrel and rabbit before so i used the same procedure i use for them.
>took it home
> slit its throat and let it bleed while i checked it and did done quick research
> shot it at almost sundown so it's now totally dark
> don't have a proper skinning knife so i used pic related, it got the job done but i cut my finger because i couldn't see shit and also cut a couple holes in the skin
> cut off all the meat i could see except the ribs cuz it didn't look like there was much there
> ate the back straps for steak
> let the rest chill in my fridge for three days and then ground it up into burger

How badly did i fuck it up? The meat tastes ok, just dry, which is to be expected. Next time I'm going to mix in some pork when i grind it. But i see people online talking about gutting it and letting it hang up for a day or two or cutting off the limbs and keeping them on ice to keep the meat tender. I just threw it on a table and went at it. What do you guys do with your deer?
>>
>>919750
>Hanging
Hanging it will let it tenderise and make it taste better. I won't say for sure, but I think it might help with the dry taste of your meat, but I (no offense intended) don't know if it's been cooked properly. I would, generally speaking, recommend hanging what meat you can.
The advice I've been given and follow is to let the meat hang for 40°C/days
Which is to say that if the temperature outside is, say, 4°C, it hangs for 10 days. If the temperature is 10°C, you leave it to hang for 4 days. Not rocket science-exact, but a good rule of thumb.
Just, make sure you get one of those bags that protect it from flies so they don't ruin your meat, and hang your meat in a dry, ventilated location with a stable temperature - Think garage with no heating, with windows open to let the wind blow through. I use an old wood shed with no insulation.
Guy I know tried to lower the temperature in a storeroom by leaving a running cold water hose on the floor and only a wee bitty table fan for air circulation, left it for a week, and came back to find the meat covered in spots of mold.
>>
Random anon here. I recently moved out to a forested part of West v, not too much fauna wandering around my property, but the coons, squirrels and rabbits abound.

I have an AR and a couple pistols but that seems overkill to me, I really wanted to get a pellet rifle just to play with (I'm aware that a 22 is infinitely better).

Cursory research has led me to choose between a springer, and a pcp. It's actually a tough choice for me, has anyone ever used these rifles?
>>
I have only breakbarrel pellet gun(.177). I was thinking of hunting rabbit. What else could I hunt? Any beginners guides for hunting, total newb.
>>
There are so many methods and products for tanning, what do you guys prefer? Any differences you use for wet, dry, lifesize, etc?

I haven't tanned a hide in years but now I have a stack of salted snowshoe hares, some domestic rabbits and a few foxes that were gifted to me. They looked fairly botched but I figured I could get to practicing, despite I have very little room to do any of this. I'm mostly looking at Krowtann or McKenzie's for small mammal dry tans.
>>
>>921607
see
>>916521
>>917457
>>917459
>>917460
>>917719
>>917720
>>
>>920387
Springer if you have the time to learn to shoot them. RWS 34 in .22 would be good. PCP if you have the $$$. PCP requires either a fill tank -more $$$- or a pump -more $$$ and physical exertion-. Benjamin Marauder in .22 or .25 or A benji Disco in .22. FX Indy or full size independence in .22 or .25.
>>
File: 12-26-05.21.23.jpg (440KB, 1900x1098px) Image search: [Google]
12-26-05.21.23.jpg
440KB, 1900x1098px
>>921487
Pellet guns are alright for squirrel obviously and it tastes good. Chicken fried squirrel is excellent. This little guy is in my freezer right now.
>>
>>919750
I many years ago I once shot a young sow, and thought it surely would be the most tender animal ever, wrong it was tough. I learned that nearly every piece of meat you get from a store or a restaurant has been aged.

If you are lucky enough to have a place where you can hang meat and dry age, that is fantastic, however, the temp range is very small and most people don't have a place or a way to control the temp well enough.

Here is South Texas, it is never cold enough to hang animals out side. Here is what I always do. I put my deer or hogs, or whatever in an ice chest. I leave them on ice for a few days and let the meat relax and age. It also allows the blood to leave the meat. It will make the meat much more tasty and tender. It will however take on a grey less appealing color. I prefer taste over appearance, so I do this.

I recommend about 4 or 5 days give or take. Drain the water out and add fresh ice as needed.
>>
Okay, so you have iced it down in an ice chest for a few days, now what...

Here is what I recommend. Wild game is very lean, especially next to a steer that has been fed out in a feed lot.

In pork and beef, fat equals flavor, but in deer, fat equals gamey taste. Some people like that flavor, I am not that fond of it myself. So, I remove as much fat as I can (not that there is much) from my deer.

When that is done you venison is very lean. Healthy, but with little fat. So it will be dry. I goes well in soups, chili, pasta dishes, etc..

It won't make a good patty without falling apart. Many people, including me, add some fat to the deer meat to make it better. This can fatty meat or just plain fat, in beef this can be called tallow. You can add a little like 90/10 or all the way up to a 50/50 mix. I like about 80/20 because I try to eat a bit more healthy. This is your ground meat or sausage we are talking here.

I hope this helps, good luck with it.
>>
>>922787
Any idea if there's a difference between red & grey squirrel taste? We got 90% grey here.
>>
>>923143
No, there's no noticeable difference, you usually get a bit more meat from grey obviously.
>>
>>923143
You asked about the difference in the squirrels.

I would guess that if they have different diets, they will taste differently. If not, you probably won't be able to tell.

In my experience, there are a couple of factors that play heavily into the quality of animals take while /out/.

First you have to treat the meat right, meaning getting it field dressed (gutted and skinned) in a timely manner, and then cooled down ASAP. Then aged for a time.

The second thing is what the animal has been eating over the last few weeks. I shot a pronghorn in Colorado that had been eating only grass and it was awesome. A couple of years later I shot one in Wyoming that had been eating nothing but sage, and the sage flavor was so strong you almost couldn't eat it.

If you deer and squirrels are eating corn from a field or bird feeder, or wheat or other browse, they are going to be good. If they are eating acorns, pine nuts, etc....they can have more of a tannic acid taste. Still eatable, but not as good in my opinion.
>>
I'm interested in trying squirrel hunting. I go backpacking in the Ozarks quite a bit (Mark Twain National Forest) and I'm pretty sure hunting is legal throughout the NF in-season. I have a few questions:

1. What gun do you recommend? The lighter the better, but is there a specific takedown .22 or pellet gun that you recommend?

2. What's the best way to cook a squirrel in the field? I'd prefer something a little more tasty than unseasoned squirrel charred over an open fire. Nothing too fancy, but what do you guys do?
>>
You need to check your state regulations, pellet guns are not legal mean of taking in all states. Also, I know they make some kick ass pellet guns these days, I would still rather have a .22 or a 20 gauge shotgun.

I have not cooked many in the field, am no expert in this area...however, I have done plenty at home. Unlike rabbits, squirrels can be tough. If you are out on the trail and have no good way to age it. I would recommend trying to cook it low and slow. The danger is drying it out so badly it will be like jerky. Maybe cooking in a foil pouch with liquid in the bottom if you have something with you...I don't like orange juice or beer. Maybe just plain water if that is all there is. More steamed than fried.
>>
>>923451
I boil it first to make it less tough, then fry it.
>>
File: 12-25-12.24.38.jpg (324KB, 1800x1088px) Image search: [Google]
12-25-12.24.38.jpg
324KB, 1800x1088px
>>923450
As for a gun, any .22 or .17 cal is fine. I personally bait them with bread and use a slingshot because I usually taxidermy them and don't want a hole in the fur I have to sew.
With squirrel it's best to fry them.
>>
File: 1482788219537.jpg (42KB, 728x522px) Image search: [Google]
1482788219537.jpg
42KB, 728x522px
>>912945
So I've been thinking about getting into hunting for ethical reasons. My parents raised me vegetarian, but I ended up with an eating disorder so I've started to introduce meat into my diet to try and help with recovery.

From what I can tell, letting an animal live a nice life in the wild until it passes, and then using everything I can to honour it's life, seems like the best way to go about eating meat. Especially when compared to cage-raised chickens and whatnot. The problem is that I'm really rather squeamish, and even if I could manage to pull the trigger idk how I would ever be able to proceed from there without throwing up or getting really sad (even though I know it's the best option and that the poor animal died quickly and painlessly).

Is there anything y'all have found to get over this? I know it's in my best interest to eat meat, and I know that the least suffering will befall animals as a result of my actions if I hunt instead of feeding into the whole slaughter business, but I just seem to have an emotional block in place that prevents me from actually going through with the hunting. So instead I just buy from local farms and feel sad

>>923539
>With squirrel it's best to fry them.
see I read things like that and it just doesn't feel right
>>
>>923637
I know the feeling you're talking about, I had it the first few times I went seabird hunting with my father.
The only thing that helped me get over it was to get involved in the process of dressing the kills, parting them up, and cooking them. Lots of practice and routine makes you less sensitive (do keep your respect for animals, that's always good), better at hunting, dressing, butchering and cooking.
What are you looking to hunt?
Do you have anyone to go hunting with, to show you the ropes?
>>
>>923704
Not that anon but I'm in the same boat. No one to go hunting with nor show me the ropes. Ideally I'd like to hunt common prey, such as deer, rabbit and duck. Things that have the best meat.
>>
>>923704
>What are you looking to hunt?
around me there are a ton of deer and coyotes, and also the more common squirrels/racoons/birds that I could hunt on my property

>Do you have anyone to go hunting with, to show you the ropes?
nope, just me. My family doesn't hunt (they're ok with me eating meat tho), and I'm single so no chance there.

the other thing is I'm not sure I want to be desensitized towards killing. I can accept death, I've had lot's of pets die through the years, but being the one to cause that death seems like something I wouldn't want to get used to.

>>923705
pretty much this, I'm not gonna go moose hunting or anything. I have a revolver and a 223/556 rifle so it's not like I can take big game or anything anyway
>>
>>923637
>See I read things like that and it just doesn't feel right ("with squirrel it's best to fry them")
Chicken fried squirrel is probably the tastiest (though not healthiest) way to eat squirrel.

>>923711
>deer and coyotes, and also the more common squirrels/racoons/birds that I could hunt on my property
For small game all you really need is target practise to ensure an ethical shot as often as possible. As far as dressing and cooking, use the internet and direct any questions to hunting forums or places like /out/. For deer you will need to pay very close attention at your hunter's safety course regarding local laws and tagging. Skinning, dressing, hanging, buthering, storage, and cooking, can all be learned on the internet.

>I'm not sure I want to be desensitized towards killing.
You are exactly right, if you ever become so desensitized that hunting just turns into killing, you should probably stop doing it. Lifelong hunters still get the shakes when they are targeting their prey.
>>
>>923894
Thanks! I'm not gonna go after deer until I'm comfortable with small game that doesn't need all the paperwork.

as for dressing, my main concern there is just trying to not throw up or cry while doing it. Ironically I work in the ED and seeing human gore isn't really an issue but with animals it just feels different. Not to mention that with people they're there to be put back together again, and not cut open and have their skin peeled off

There's a place near my house that does deer processing, do you think they'd do small game processing too?
>>
Dumping some hunting pics
>>
>>924072
>>
>>924074
>>
>>924077
And this was my first moose
>>
>>924082
That's all i have for now
>>
File: 1471815392554.png (215KB, 883x905px) Image search: [Google]
1471815392554.png
215KB, 883x905px
>>924072
Nice gun and nice pup. Happy hunting bro.
>>
>>919731
Lol
>>
>>924077
sexy af
>>
>>923978
Try fishing to introduce you? I'm not at all a hunter or fisher.

But looking at how to get introduced into this process of hunt prepare eat, fishing seems to be a good alternative to starting with say a squirrel or bird, may be personal preference but I'm glad you made this post about what to do, because I too don't know where to start (well except fishing, im reading up rn)
>>
To those thinking of learning to hunt.

Yes, it is good to read all you can on the internet, and books, even watch hunting shows on TV.

But there is no substitute for having someone with experience mentor you.

I help people all the time. I helped a guy last weekend get his first buck with a bow, and two weeks before that I took a young woman on her first ever hunting trip and she shot a doe with a .243, that at least 30 people have used to get their first deer.

Hunters are a little protective (like fishermen) of their best spots, but are almost always willing to teach and help newbies.

I would suggest looking for someone local or an organization and get help there.

As far as getting small game processed, I am sure they will do it, but it will not be cost effective. They are going to charge you more than you are willing to pay, would be my guess.

One other option, if you think you can not kill an animal yourself, is to find hunters that normally get more than they need. I normally kill way more animals than I need at home, being single and my daughters just out of the house. I give away several animals each year to friends or people on hard times.

It's not legal in my state to sell wild game to someone, but perhaps you could trade some kind of labor for venison, as in mow my lawn and I give will gift you 20 lbs of summer sausage.

Happy to answer more questions or help if possible.
>>
>>924072
>>924074
>>924077
>>924082
>>924087
Finland? Maybe Russia?
>>
>>924113
eh fishing seems too boring tbqh. I tried it way back in summer camp but I cried when I caught one so I stopped. I've obviously grown up since then but it still strikes me as boring. Just sitting on a pier waiting for a fish that you can't see do something you have no control over? snoozefest af

>>924131
>for having someone with experience mentor you.
I've thought about looking at local clubs but as far as I can tell it's just a bunch of 50+yo men, and I'm not gonna make the same mistake I did with ham radio
>get into ham radio bc I like talking with people
>get HT and tune into local repeater
>it's literally just old men using radios to talk about radios

Is there like a good way to meet younger but still experienced hunters? Nobody in my family, extended or otherwise, hunts so I can't try that. The closest thing I have is my best friend who practiced archery when we were growing up, and I'm not sure he's actually gone hunting. He definitely wouldn't have any problems dressing an animal though, things that gross me out don't phase him. He could probably outshoot me too, so maybe I should just talk him into hunting and promise to cook whatever he kills in return

Maybe the best option really is just to find a local hunter and trade service for food. Sounds doable.

I guess a good question would be is it best to start with like an air rifle and work up from there, or is it alright to start with a 22? I can change out my bolt on my rifle so I can fire 22 instead of 223/556, which I think those rounds would be a little overkill for a squirrel, plus they're super loud.
>>
>>924280
You are right in the fact that many of the experienced hunters that are willing to take time and help new people are older, 50 somethings. They have done everything and have nothing to prove and enjoy passing on the tradition. I don't know what happened with the ham radio, but it sounds like a bad experience.

just start with .22, they do not kick. great for beginners.
>>
>>924293
>have nothing to prove and enjoy passing on the tradition
that's not what I'm concerned about, it just makes me uncomfortable thinking about being alone in the woods with an older man

as for the 22, thanks! Would subsonic rounds be alright for squirrels or should I get normal ones? I just don't want to disturb my neighbours and I can't afford a tax stamp and a silencer, and I don't want my dogs to get shot so I'm not gonna make my own silencer
>>
>>923978
The thing is you need to field dress it right away, and on the case of squirrels and rabbits that means skinned as well. By the time it's skinned and dressed, it looks no more like an animal than a chicken from the grocery store. The first time will be weird, but it becomes normal fast. Humans have been doing this as long as we've been human, our psyches have no trouble dealing with it.
>>
>>923978
For something like a squirrel a butcher is a bit too much. They have no real flank meat to speak of (unless you are stewing everything with bone); the meat basically just consists of 4 little thigh chunks.
Tips you might try if you are squeamish:

>wear calf leather gloves, thin enough to work with but thick enough that you won't feel fur texture or body temps

>Cut a squirrel in the centre of the back from side to side, the hole should be just big enough to fit in your index and middle fingers on both sides.

>place plastic grocer bags over both sides (one covering head and front legs, the other covering tail and rear legs)

>while each half is inside the bags place index and middle fingers in the hole and rip the hide with one hand pulling toward tail, the other toward head

>once the 4 thighs are pulled out this way snip off feet, tail, and head (if you can manage it they will still be in bags so you never have to really face it)

>cut off legs from body following natural shoulder contours

>if you want to stew the whole animal you can then gut the skinned carcass, not much belly or flank meat though. If all you want is the meat, feed the body, guts and all, to the predators
>>
File: faz-woche-nr19.png (368KB, 400x524px) Image search: [Google]
faz-woche-nr19.png
368KB, 400x524px
>>924308
>Humans have been doing this as long as we've been human, our psyches have no trouble dealing with it.
I guess, it's just men were the hunters and I don't really have a bf to go hunting with to do the gross stuff

>>924328
yeah, that's what I was thinking. Is squirrel stew better than it sounds? because 4 little squirrel thighs hardly sounds like a meal
>>
>>924339
Squirrel stew is okay, the meat is tough and it tenderises it so that's good, plus with the veggies it's good for you (For game stew I like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onion, turnip, and maybe cabbage)
I mostly like to fry it though, and no, one squirrel isn't usually a very big meal.
A lot of women hunt and it's becoming increasingly popular for them, it will definitely be odd at first, but with some dedication and experience it will become less so over time. By your 3rd or 4th squirrel you will be well over it.
>>
>>924349
alright, thanks for all the support. I'll try and find some nice gloves and maybe a more appropriate knife than my mora before going for it. I'll try to keep your words in mind!
>>
>>924360
Bonne chance
>>
>>924297
Subsonic rounds won't make a difference without a suppressor attached, and in some calibers can be damaging to the gun without a suppressor. Just go with the the regular .22
>>
>>924297
subsonic rounds will kill just fine at short range, they do lose their down range velocity quickly. You will need to keep shots about 50 yards or so, which is all you need for most small game.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure making your own suppressor is big time illegal. If you are in a neighbor hood, use the pellet gun. If you are in the woods just use normal .22
>>
>>924268
Close.. but in the middle
East Finnmark, Norway. Between both borders, about 30min drive to Finland and 10min to Russia.
>>
>>924360
I use my mora for everything but bones and silver skin.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (9KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
9KB, 182x276px
>>919057
Kangaroo leather is allegedly the toughest in the world. IIRC, all of Indy's whips were fashioned from it.
>>
File: IMG_20161122_203350.jpg (885KB, 1627x1627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161122_203350.jpg
885KB, 1627x1627px
I'm training my dog to retrieve. Should I get her spayed? I've heard it lowers their energy.
>>
>>924565
I think that is more true for male dogs. My best friends dog is a female he had fixed as soon as he got her, she hunts every weekend of the year.
>>
>>924087
Cool ptarmigan
>>
File: buck1.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
buck1.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
buck from this year
>>
File: coulee.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
coulee.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
this is where I got him
>>
File: buck2.jpg (609KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
buck2.jpg
609KB, 1944x2592px
humping him out of that coulee was a bitch, but it was an easy 1km skid out once I was at the top thanks to the snow

solo hunting on foot is best hunting
>>
File: cowl-elk.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cowl-elk.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
got this cow second day of the season
all told spent about 6 days both on birds and big game
success was so easy this year that I didn't spend as much time as I'd like but meat processing took a while so there's that
>>
File: sausage.jpg (542KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sausage.jpg
542KB, 2000x1500px
made 80lb of sausage this year with my little cousin - so good!
how has your season been sc/out/?
>>
>>925297

Tell him to cut down on the estrogen filled products. Hips like a 13 year old girl going through puberty.
>>
>>925314
or he could just lose some weight.
>>
>>925290
>>925292
>>925295

Damn nice one anon. What state? NC here, only got 4 doe this year. Let 2 bucks walk though, I'm not one to shoot a year old prong. I bet your deer was about 4 years old. Probably 3.
>>
>>920387
Just buy/make a live trap and kill them with a sharp stick. No real reason to actively chase down small game. I've been trapping on my own land for years and never needed to shoot anything except deer.
>>
>>922885
It's 33 in Cleveland Texas right now. I've left hogs hanging out between 35 and 40 overnight in this and never had trouble.
>>
>>925286
Thanks bro
Definetly my favourite game to hunt.
>>
>>924280
>eh fishing seems too boring tbqh. I tried it way back in summer camp but I cried when I caught one so I stopped. I've obviously grown up since then but it still strikes me as boring. Just sitting on a pier waiting for a fish that you can't see do something you have no control over? snoozefest af
You're probably not going to like hunting. Its a lot of waiting. Even if you're walking around, its still waiting in a manner of speaking.
>>
>>925293
>coulee
Where are you from? I've only ever heard that used in west central Wisconsin (aka the coulee region)
Oh and nice buck by the way.
>>
>>925359
Hey neighbor, well, I guess I should have been clearer, my bad

It does occasionally get cold enough to leave an animal out over night. I have often shot an animal right at dark and not recovered it until the morning. You are right this is not a problem.

I was talking about hanging an animal for an extended time for aging. It will be back in the 70's by mid week in Cleveland Texas. They normally hang a side of beef or two weeks or more.
>>
>>925340
>>925636

Thanks, Alberta here
>>
>>923637
>Is there anything y'all have found to get over this?
Its kinda stupid, but watch some gore threads and there are youtube vids on field dressing an animal.
>>
File: 20161230_115651.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161230_115651.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Opening morning bow kill in the Florida panhandle. 14.5 inch inside spread.
>>
>>923450
If you're backpacking, make squirrel and grits instead of squirrel and rice. Rice takes a long time to cook, grits only take a few minutes.
Put the quartered squirrel in a pot and boil. I usually do about an hour on a rolling boil. This tenderness the squirrel. I then pick the meat from the bones but you don't have to it works either way. Keep the broth you made from boiling the squirrel. Combine squirrel with broth and grits and plenty of black pepper. Hell of a camp meal.
>>
File: 1434263126134.gif (308KB, 446x403px) Image search: [Google]
1434263126134.gif
308KB, 446x403px
>North Louisiana
>Cold as fuck weekend, and yesterday saw my first buck of the season
>Bout 70 yards out but the window on that side of the stand was frozen shut, so I had to lean out a side window to shoot
>Had to suffer getting scoped because there was no way I could make the shot otherwise
>Found specks of blood on the ground, searched the area but couldn't find anything
>Next weekend is the last weekend of deer season here
Fuck

Also for others more living in their normal habitat, are there any special precautions needed when around mountain lions? Because I've heard reports of some in the area and I'm 90% sure I saw one slink across one of my lanes near daybreak
>>
>>923637
For me, taking a big game animal is always bittersweet. There's an adrenaline-fueled thrill of the kill and a great sense of accomplishment tempered by momentary but profound sadness. I embrace and appreciate the sorrow as it reinforces the reasons I hunt; not simply to go kill things. I'll observe a moment of silence, or place a twig in the animal's mouth (last bite). Other times I'll tell the animal how thankful I am to it or whatever feels right at the time to show my respect.

The sadness passes quickly and I'm left with a heady glow for days even weeks depending on the hunt, but it's *always* emotional. The emotions are far less intense when hunting small game or birds, and sadness doesn't even register with fish. I can't rationalize why fish don't make me feel - it's just how I am I suppose.

In some cases (and this will happen eventually if you hunt often and long enough) you will fail to make a clean kill or worse yet fail to recover the animal altogether. There is are few things in life that have made me feel worse grief and regret. My advice is that if you aren't absolutely sure you can make a clean kill then pass as there will always be another opportunity that doesn't require wasting a life due to greed or lack of skill or patience.

In terms of blood and guts, it's really not that bad. If you're comfortable handling raw meat in the kitchen I don't see why dressing animals is much different. If you're as squeamish as you claim, then check out the gutless field dressing methods on YouTube and don't take anything but a clean heart/lung shot.

You'll never know how you'll handle it until you do it and I think it's something everyone who eats meat should do at least once in their lives.
>>
>>927296
>cold
>Louisiana

is such a thing even possible?
>>
>>927492
Cold for us
Friday through Sunday the highs were around 40 and lows in the low 10's, but winter is over for now
>>
>>927498
>lows in the low 10's
>louisiana
and there are still people who say that climate change isn't real
>>
>>927499
Louisiana (At least, North Louisiana) weather is weird as fuck, winter typically just means the temp range for each day becomes 40+ degrees and sometimes it might actually get cold
>>
Any advice for hunting snowshoe hair? Normally i hunt cottontails to use as coyote bait, but i just havent seen any lately. We get snowshoes around here but every time ive seen one its been real close and ran away. Do i sit in a stand and wait? With cottontails i would just look down rows of red pines and plunk them
>>
>>927506
Yep. Don't hunt them. Snare them instead.
Put simple wire snares along their trails.
They're super habitual and will use the same easily identifiable paths over and over. The trails are really easy to see in snow.
Fix simple loop snares to adjacent willows/branches/sapling trunks. Have the loop about size you can just pass your fist through. Hang the snare so the bottom of the loop its about 1-2 inches above the ground. Set up about 15-30 in the afternoon and go check them first thing the next morning. You'll be sure to have a bunch of hares.
Make sure you get out first thing otherwise you're just feeding the predators in the area.
>>
>>927506
>>927540

But if you really want to hunt them with a firearm then my advice is to move slowly and tilt and bob your head as you go. They're super fucking camouflaged in the winter, and varying your viewing angle will help make out their shape.

Chinooks and winter warm stints and melts make it easier since the rabbits will still be all white against a brown/green backdrop (they look like white plastic garbage bags in the bush). Use a 22 and go for headshots or run a dog and pack your 12g. They're a challenging hunt for sure though.
>>
>>925290
ist that an even or an uneven 10ender?
what kind of deer is that?
Where i live even 6 enders are the usual thing to observe.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.