[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is fatbike riding in snow fun? It's supposed to snow Saturday.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10

File: SCWut.jpg (119KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
SCWut.jpg
119KB, 960x639px
Is fatbike riding in snow fun?

It's supposed to snow Saturday. I just ordered a $200 Walmart fatbike and it'll be available for pickup friday. I'm going to use it every time it snows this winter and then return it in 89 days.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-12-15-36-10.png (583KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-12-15-36-10.png
583KB, 1440x2560px
They also sell this 29er with 3" wide wheels. Would this be more fun in snow or should I stick with the fat bike?
>>
>>910979
The fatbike is easier to ride in the snow or sand or anything unstable.

Overall I don't care for fatbiking. It is about the least fun way to get around in the snow and the terrain where it works very well at all is pretty limited.
>>
>>910985

Any recommendations for biking in snow? That's the overall goal, I'd like to do it with the most fun and disposable equipment possible as I've never tried it.
>>
File: snow bike (2).jpg (278KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
snow bike (2).jpg
278KB, 1024x768px
>>910986
It's hard to say what's best because so much depends on the snow conditions. Also on what's under the snow (thinner tires cut through fresh snow easily but if there's ice underneath things can get interesting). I usually do fine with my 'cross bike with 35-40mm tires (studs if it's icy but not usually necessary) or my mountain bike with 2.1" knobbies.

It doesn't usually snow enough where I live to justify the cost of a fatbike, which are good for what they're good for but they're pretty specialized. If there's too much snow for my MTB I get out my cross country skis, as >>910985 says there are more fun ways to get around in deep snow.

> I'd like to do it with the most fun and disposable equipment possible as I've never tried it.
If that's what I was after I'd get a used rigid mountain bike with a decent set of knobbies
>>
>>910986
i used to ride a little bmx to work everyday in the snow with studded tires
>>
>>910977
I'm not going to talk about fat bikes but you wasted your money on a walmart bike. Nothing will work right and it's a piece of trash.

Consider their mountain bikes. The shocks are fake and don't work, a real pair of shocks costs more than the entire bike.

Fat biikes are apparently fun in the snow but buy one that will work correctly or just rent one for a acouple of days to see if you like it.

Walmart is a complete waste of money unless you are buying a shit bike to just commute back and forth from your busboy job.
>>
>>911508
You misread. Probably because you're a huge faggot, but I can't confirm.

I bought a Walmart bike that I'm going to return for a full refund within their return policy window. I'm going to ride it in the snow all winter and then get my money back. I'm out zero dollars.
>>
>>911514
Also
>dont buy the $200 bike buy the $1,200 one instead
>>
>>911515
Like it or not, $1200 is what a decent bike costs these days. If you can't afford it, buy used.
>>
>>911522
Spending 1200 on a bike... You can buy a cheap used motorcycle for onroad stuff or a cheap used dirtbike for offroad stuff. For 1200. Thats just fucking retarded to pay that much for something like a bicycle. What a crock.
>>
>>911555
He's wrong anyway. An entry level Giant, which shits all over every road bike made 10 years ago, will cost you around $600. People who buy the higher end stuff either think they're pro or are just buying jewelry.

But yeah, suggesting you should spend over a thousand dollars on a bike you may not enjoy is absolutely retarded.
>>
It's okay but skiing is more fun and works in a wider variety of conditions
>>
>>911514
well enjoy your shit bike that probably won't work properly at all.

I'm not saying buy a $1200 bike to see if you like it but at least buy a bike that functions. A Walmart bike will be literally 3x the weight, barely functioning and will most likely break if you try anything remotely fun.

Just cause you can get a piece of shit for free doesn't mean it isn't a piece of shit.
>>
>>911597
No, I'm right. That's what a Surly Cross-Check costs and that's about the minimum quality I'd want for the amount and type of riding I do, so it's what I define as a "decent bike". An entry level bike is fine if you don't ride a lot and stay on pavement but for me it would start popping spokes after a month or two and the components wouldn't last as long either, so in the long run it's false economy.

>People who buy the higher end stuff either think they're pro or are just buying jewelry.
Yeah but those people are buying $3000+ carbon race bikes, not Surlies.

>>911692
>I'm not saying buy a $1200 bike to see if you like it
Neither am I, I'm saying good new bikes are expensive these days so it's better value to buy used.
>>
File: 1453903577885.jpg (147KB, 1501x844px) Image search: [Google]
1453903577885.jpg
147KB, 1501x844px
>>911514
enjoy out-merchanting the biggest merchant of all

>pic related OP trying to return his fat-as-fatass bike to merchant's customer service
>>
File: 1453903654686.jpg (42KB, 290x436px) Image search: [Google]
1453903654686.jpg
42KB, 290x436px
>>911796
and the cashier's face as the manager tells OP to get fucked with his scamming
>>
File: 1453903813982.jpg (12KB, 148x227px) Image search: [Google]
1453903813982.jpg
12KB, 148x227px
>>911798
>mfw this thread
kek
>>
File: DSCN7652.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7652.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>Is fatbike riding in snow fun?
Yes, but you go through a learning curve. One of the things is that you sweat because sometimes the snow gets deep then if you run into a nice flat stretch it's as if you're dealing with wind factor because you can get up some speed, I bring spare hats and gloves. The only problem I've had is with shifting. At first I thought the derailleur or the cables were frozen but it was actually water, I guess from washing, in the shifter housing at the bar. I just crack it open and shoot silicone in it. Also I have a stiff plastic bristle small brush that I brush built up ice on the gears, especially the derailleur gears.
>>
File: SAM_0200.jpg (779KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0200.jpg
779KB, 1200x900px
>>911000
Nice setup. Used to have a cross check but sold it a few years ago

>>911597
People buy bikes that cost more than $600 because they actually ride them and prefer to not break them within 30 minutes
>>
File: SAM_0206r.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0206r.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>911749
i agree with used but used fat bikes might be hard to find on craigslist.
I just don't like fatbikes aesthetically and feel a normal mt bike has more purpose, is better for transpo and will serve anyone better.
>>
File: ice-full-fat-071.jpg (425KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
ice-full-fat-071.jpg
425KB, 2000x1333px
I have two fat tire bikes / trikes and lived where snowfall began in October...

On the subject of is it fun? Yes

Will it be fun on a 50+ lbs, poorly geared wallyworld bike? No

Just don't come to the conclusion that "all fat bikes suck because my walmart bike sucked".

I wont try and persuade you to do anything because i don't give a shit and its not me. All i can say is that I thoroughly enjoy riding on snow and sand with my fat tire cycles.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.