[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike Traveling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 20

File: IMG_4411.jpg (113KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4411.jpg
113KB, 500x375px
I've been trying to find ways to traverse the world being a poorfag and I think I've found my best option. I'm inspired by this guy:
https://youtu.be/Z0wAPztOO2U
He has an ongoing series where he travels throughout the Americas on his bike, starting in Canada (visiting Alaska) and working down to Argentina.

I'm not really worried about dying, I kinda hate contemporary society and this is preferential to a bullet through my head.

I was wondering what tips you guys could give me.
>the most sturdy bike for the job
>recommended stops along the way
>Etc.
>>
File: 1466668382453.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1466668382453.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Bumpity
>>
You don't need to bump, /out/ is a slow board.
>>
I wear glasses right now, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to get surgery or just trust that I won't lose or break them.
>>
>>910468
take 3 pairs OR 2 pairs and your prescription laminated so you could get new ones at any store with optics.
>>
Well, fellow poorfag, I have a similar dream. Sadly I have to wait a few years.
My advice:
Don't be an Alexander Supertramp.
Don't go to the north in the winter.
Carry a small rifle in the USA, an AR-7 is the best. Small, semi auto, folds up and is waterproof. Only $200 dollars.
>>
>>910512
I still have to finish highschool and save up for gear- and fully consider the act.

My plan is to fly up to Alaska in the spring, hopefully reaching the Great Divide before winter hits too hard. I'm really fit but I have no biking experience besides in urban areas, so I have no idea when I'll be where. I also really don't want to bike the lower Americas in the summer so I might detour in the states for a while until it gets colder.

I considered the firearm, I'll just have to decide when I get back. Thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 2015-04-05-17h30m.jpg (3MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-05-17h30m.jpg
3MB, 2160x3840px
This dream is probably never gonna get off the ground but alright.
I did some touring for a few weeks last year. Here are some thoughts.
Get a U-lock and probably also a wire to thread through your wheels. Kryptonite sells a set. Always secure the frame to a pole of some kind with the U-lock.
Look up the wheel size standard of your destination. We got lucky and didn't get a lot of flats or the 27 inch standard in Japan might have fucked us. Bring two extra tubes and a puncture repair kit. Do testruns at home fully loaded and don't overestimate yourself if you are gonna set a daily distance goal. For world touring, many recommend steel frames and racks for weldability. I'd bet an aluminium frame would suffice but steel racks have no real downsides (except a few grams of weight and rust but before that's an issue, mexicans will already have killed you for your gear). Steel is also cheaper than aluminium. Tubus is a popular choice and I really like my Tubus racks.

When purchasing a bike you'll probably want a touring bike. Cross and road look cooler but the gearing is optimized for touring on a touring bike and they're more equipped with things like eyelets on the fork and screwholes for the rear rack in the back. I got fairly lucky with that when buying my entrylevel Rose cyclocross though had to manufacture steel plates to attach my front rack to and stuck them on the front axle. If getting discbrakes, which are basically superior as fuck, especially when wet, look at the placement of the brake caliper. If it's on the top of the seatstay it could be in the way when mounting the rear rack. Fucking that up and having to add a bunch of spacers makes for a weakpoint because leverage. Use Loctite/nyloc nuts/locking washers all over. May still have to retighten screws every few weeks.

>>910512
For subsistence hunting or what?
>>
File: 2015-04-06-11h31m.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-06-11h31m.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Get a free bicycle-intended cardboardbox from a bike salesman if you don't get one when you buy, for transporting it up there. Previous pic is of our bikes on the Shinkansen.

It's convenient when all scews are the same type so it's worth the effort to get allenkey screws all around.

Everyone creams themselves over the thin, retro-looking Surly frames but honestly I think it's probably overpriced, overrated meme garbage.

Get waterproof bags. Ortlieb is a popular choice. Alternatively, line the insides with sturdy plastic bags. Top up your tyres every few days as air escapes through the rubber. Bring chainlube. Upper body more cold-sensitive, especially arms and lower back. Get a bicycle jacket as they're designed to remedy this. Needless to say, dress in layers and probably in lycra. Get bibshorts and use them without undies, air them out at night and wash as often as possible. Maybe bring two and rotate.

Don't overload the fork. At 8-10 kilos up front, my discbrake starts rubbing when I turn because torsion.
Daylight hours will be a limiting factor for your distance. Get reflex stickers and shit on the bike and some lights aswell.

Don't fret over grams but don't bring useless shit. Don't have earplugs in in traffic, maybe just one on calmer roads if you must. Be sure to have enough water, you'll go through a few bottles a day.

Learn to index your gears. Keep a somewhat clean drivetrain. I recommend using SPD pedals and corresponding shoes - mountainbike shoes or whatever are better to walk in than pure road shoes because of the rubber standoffs surrounding the cleat. Look it up.

Watch some GCN videos about elementary technique, maintenance and repair.
https://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork/playlists
"How to", "Maintenance Monday" and "Roadside Maintenance" playlists oughta cover it.

Get a comfy helmet and look up doing your own bikefit as stores charge out the ass for that.
>>
File: 2015-04-05-20h25m.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-05-20h25m.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Stand up occasionally to allow bloodflow in your gooch even if it doesn't feel weird. Can't be too sure when it comes to impotence.

Get a chain breaker and know how to use it and/or get one of those extra links you put together.
Plastic bags to partition laundry. Shoulderstrap for pannier and light walking shoes for excursions by foot. Beanies get too warm and can leave your ears exposed because headwind so bring a headband (too).

Save these posts, easily 80% of this advice will be applicable to you.
>>
>>910573
>>910598
>>910605
Holy fuck, man. I've never received this much (helpful) advice from anyone in my life. Thanks, this means a lot.
>>
File: till RP.jpg (2MB, 2080x1254px) Image search: [Google]
till RP.jpg
2MB, 2080x1254px
>>910573
>except a few grams of weight
it's several kilos bubs. steel is heavy as shit.

also regarding disc brakes, yes they are vastly superior in terms of braking power but depending where you go you'd probably want rim brakes. If you want to go disc brakes you should go mechanical disc brakes. Hydraulics are impossible to service if they fuck up in the middle of nowhere. Disc brakes are fine for most parts of the world of course but it's more or less the same discussion as with frame material here. If you really want to "tour the world" then get barend shifters, rim brakes and a steel frame and ask your bike store to build touring wheels for you (but look up what what rims and hub to use, a lot of bike stores are clueless when it comes to touring.)

>>910598
>Everyone creams themselves over the thin, retro-looking Surly frames but honestly I think it's probably overpriced, overrated meme garbage.
if you buy a surly in the US its great value for money. But I would just buy the frame and then all the parts seperately and build it up yourself. That way you will learn how it works and you'll be able to service it if something breaks etc. It's more expensive but you'll get a bike better fitted and made specially for you. Do not set out on a tour without 100% knowing what to do if something breaks. You have to be able to fix it yourself. Like that guy in the video who's derailleur broke off in the middle of nowhere.

Bibshorts are definately a luxury. I've never used them and never will. You'll have asspains in the beginning regardless unless you're already a regular cyclist. I work as a bike messenger and go on tours occasionally and I never wear bibs, I see it mostly as an extra thing that you're dependent on that can break.

here's a pic from an Iceland tour I did this year
>>
File: DSC_4995.jpg (537KB, 1725x1143px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4995.jpg
537KB, 1725x1143px
>>910751
>>910598
>Don't overload the fork. At 8-10 kilos up front, my discbrake starts rubbing when I turn because torsion.
What? Sounds like your hub is a bit loosely tightened. I frontload almost entirely as you can see in the above pic with no problems. Had 18kg packed on there at several times. I also don't see how torsion would cause this? There's nothing twisting at all.

>Watch some GCN videos about elementary technique, maintenance and repair.
As I said before you really need to be sure you know how to fix all these things. Disassemble your bike and reassemble it once at the very least.

>>910605
>Stand up occasionally to allow bloodflow in your gooch even if it doesn't feel weird. Can't be too sure when it comes to impotence.
If you feel pressure on the area between your balls and asshole your bike isn't properly fitted or you need another saddle. 100% of the weight should be on your ass bones. Impotence has to do with pressure on that area (perineum?). Regardless, you're right about standing up occasionally is very important for blood flow and stretching/using different muscles.

I'd recommend doing some shorter tours, maybe week long or so to get a feel for it before setting out on a super long one.
>>
File: 2015-04-25-09h58m.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-25-09h58m.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>910751

I was talking about racks only. The difference between steel and aluminium there can't be more than 200g at most counting both front and rear. I feel more comfortable with my frame than my racks when going down a gravel road but I assume the welds on steel are more flexible and stronger. So I don't get the point in steel frame and alu racks.

As I have no experience with rimbrakes I shouldn't opine too much. I guess it's easier to get a hold of brakepads in an emergency but they last considerably shorter? Based on the wear on my discbrake pads I'd estimate I could easily put 3k-4k km on them before having to change, in total. Could probably go through a few pads before the rotor is out. Rimbrakes wear down the rim too.

I agree about mechanical discbrakes and of course mechanical shifters are a given. But I doubt if electronic shifting is gonna hit big enough soon enough for him to consider that anyway, so I didn't mention that.

Don't you find it problematic to have so much weight up front? Sure you feel like a tank but steering becomes so unresponsive. And you have to be mindful of weight distribution when braking downhill.
Looks like you have discbrakes - don't you have the torsion problem in the fork that I was on about? Maybe steel frames don't flex as much or I just run too fine tolerances on my brakepads.
Do you have a blog or something or have I just seen that picture on here before?
Are you a scandi?
>>
File: 2015-04-06-10h32m.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-06-10h32m.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>910754

My buddy also had the problem of the brake rubbing. He has an aluminium cross too but a Ridley. For both of us it was only occasional but definitely down to torsion caused by weight. How close to the rotor do you keep your pads? I like for the brake to engage pretty early.
The twisting action would have to come from the weight of the panniers flexing the fork (and brake caliper) ever so slightly on the upper attachment points while it's all rigid down at the hub.

I should probably get another saddle as mine seems just slightly too narrow for my assbones. I tried DIYing my bikefit based off a few online guides. Occasional discomfort/mild pain in different places resulted, could probably get it much better if done professionally but that's almost 300 bucks here. Might have to for future long tours.

Another tip for OP. Make sure you have mounting holes for front racks halfway up the fork too since using those "p-clamps" is a really shitty solution there.
>>
File: DSC_5236-Pano.jpg (895KB, 4455x1129px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5236-Pano.jpg
895KB, 4455x1129px
>>910759
>I was talking about racks only.
Sorry dawg sloppy reading on my part.

Yeah you're right but you should carry spares regardless. It's still a slow wear so there's no way you'll run out of brake pads. You can get rim brake pads anywhere in the world but if something breaks on your disc brakes in the middle of uganda you're fucked. If you're just touring through europe/north america then of course it's no issue but the guy wanted to go around the world so he'd want to use as standardized equipment as possible.

I actually love being frontloaded. However my bike geometry is such that it handles well when frontloaded. 18kg was a bit over the top though when I had to stock up on food for several days, my rack is only rated for 15kg. However I feel way more stable at average speeds. It feels a little bit wonky when going really slow (like walking speed) but I do that so seldom it's a non-issue for me. It feels more responsive altough it takes more effort to steer. Climbing steep hills also feels way better frontloaded, your front wheel never lifts whatever steep the hill. Iceland had a lot of extremely steep but very short climbs. But also Most people pack way more stuff than I do. Some people like it and some people don't but different bikes handle differently with different loads.
>>
>>910759
>>910762
Steel frames actually flex more than aluminium frames, which is also a reason to go steel on touring since it's more comfortable. I had that problem once but that was due to the hub being slightly loose. Pads were extremely close to the rotor, almost too close. What bikes were you guys riding and what brakes did you use? Also adjusting how far back/forward the panniers are on the rack might fix it if that's really the problem. I still believe it's the hub not being properly tightened though so when you slightly lean the bike when turning it'll rub.

>300 bucks
holy shit lol that's ridiculous, it's like 50-60 where I live.

>Do you have a blog or something or have I just seen that picture on here before?
I might have posted it before on here or /n/. Yeah I'm a swede
>>
>>910759
>Don't you find it problematic to have so much weight up front? Sure you feel like a tank but steering becomes so unresponsive.
Not the same anon, but that's a meme. If the frame is designed for it front loading can handle better than rear loading. It depends on how you load the front too, lowrider panniers in line with the steering axis will handle better than a big handlebar bag mounted up high. People just assume rear racks are better because that's what's most common.
>>
File: 2015-04-12-14h18m.jpg (5MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-12-14h18m.jpg
5MB, 3840x2160px
Neat, I am a swede too. Filename and Haglöfs tipped me off.
It's Sportson that charges 2000 for a 2 hour bikefit, maybe I could get it cheaper in the city proper. That's only 217 bucks now apparently, I am locked in the mindset that the dollar is ~7 SEK.

My cousin has a Ridley Xbow 10 Disc and I have that Rose Pro DX Cross. We both have Avid BB7 brakes. My forks are aluminium, his might be carbon.

>>910847

It's just a fact that there's more to swing around when you frontload. Laws of physics and shit. Steering will never be as snappy with 10+ kilos up front no matter how low down, in line with the steering axis or close to the fork etc your panniers are. I have a Tubus lowrider which allows for like 12cm clearance under my small Ortlieb frontpanniers. I've tried the same setup as the other guy but with 16 kg and hated it.

If front-heavy is your preference that's fine. Yeah it feels more stable when up to speed on a straight road but smaller turns just suck. Obviously it's still doable loading heavy either front or back. Either way I wouldn't want more than 15kg in either place without a counterbalance. Heavy only in the rear is shitty too but for other reasons. Personally I prefer to split the load but not exceed 10 kg up front (see the white Rose I posted earlier). Having tried all alternatives, I love my setup. It's stable and responsive at low and high speeds, balanced to stand with when stationary and I could barely lift a wheel powering up hills nor braking down them even if I tried.
>>
tomsbiketrip.com/
>>
My advice is to prepare as a regular hitchhiker and after you are done get a decent bike, some saddlebags and repairkits (tools, patches, an extra wheel, etc).

The bike is a great way to carry extra water, food and have a cheap way to travel.
But if you build around the bike you are pretty much fucked if it breaks beyond repair and are not prepared to travel without it.

If you build your kit as a regular hitchhiker you can ditch your bike (minus saddlebags, repair kits, tools), extra food and water and keep traveling on foot and steal a decent bike if the occasion arises (I do not condone this, but if you are on a tight budget you might not have another choice).

Some on the side advices:
Use proper security:
Wear gloves to avoid injuring your hands, glasses, helmet (really important), put mirrors on your bike and back and front lights.

Wear long boots when riding, some rural / poor areas have many stray dogs in them and you might get an agressive one that tries to bite your lower leg while riding.

Get proper vaccionations, rabies, yellow fever, etc.

Get a first aid course at the red cross , they are cheap, useful and you get a certificate that might or might not help you get a job somewhere on the road.

Might sound dumb, but get a Kindle.
It can hold thousands of books, with a small 5000mah portable battery you can have 4 full charges that give you around 2 hours of reading a day for a full month, which is enought time to find someplace to recharge both.

Put all your origninal documents on a ziploc bag somewhere secured and only use copies, just take the originals out if you really need them.

Carry some small pictures of yourselfs (the ones they use in documents) just in case u need some visas, you lose your passport or you need any other kind of document.
>>
>>910968
>It's just a fact that there's more to swing around when you frontload.
That's what everyone has always assumed, but like >>910774 says the handling actually depends a lot on the front end geometry of the bike.

I prefer a rear-biased load on my cyclocross bike too, but I know that people with bikes designed for a front-heavy load (steep steerer angle and low trail fork) really like them. It's mostly a North American thing I think, but copying older French touring bikes.

There's a lot written about it in Bicycle Quarterly but they don't put their back issues online so I can't link it.
>>
>>910573
Both, people are crazy. Also, a pistol isn't to good of an idea, you see if you get a ccw in one state it might not carry to the next. Never the less, just throw it in your pack. Also, the AR-7 is more of a small game rifle (.22 lr), better then a pistol in that sense.
>>
Oh, and another important topic; water. I'm an American so the only water I've ever had has been extremely clean (besides a few sips from streams as a child). I'm obviously going to have to refill a couple times south of the border, and I was wondering how I might address the beast that is sickness. The best option I can think of is to have small portions at first, enough to get sick but not too bad, and hope that my immune system is prepared for round two and three and four.
>>
How much do tour bikes cost generally?
>>
>>911689
Dedicated touring bikes start at around $1200 for something like a Surly Long Haul Trucker, but you can tour on a hybrid or an old mountain bike for less (just make sure you have a decent set of wheels).
>>
>>911763
>(just make sure you have a decent set of wheels).

Also know how to repair bikes and have the proper tools.

If you break a wheel you can easily steal a bike wheel from a random bike if you need it.
>>
>>911773
That's a bit fucked, Anon.
>>
>>911253
And I really need attention to this post, please.
>>
>>911781
OP might not have a choice if he wants to:
>traverse the world being a poorfag

Buying a new wheel or bike if it breaks might not be an option and with the ammount of bikes everywhere stealing a wheel or a whole bike is really easy.
>>
>>911795
I am OP, and as of now I'm too much of a good boy to do any of that. I'm absolutely sure that when the time comes I'll be ready to change my mind, but it is fucked.
>>
File: 1385783565077.png (194KB, 287x361px) Image search: [Google]
1385783565077.png
194KB, 287x361px
Being an unproductive waste of space following a fanciful teenage dream is not enough; you must also steal from those enabling your selfish lifestyle, son. You're on a budget after all.
>>
>>911844
>Unproductive
What the fuck else will I do? Wake up at 5 in the morning to serve reconstructed muck to some 600 pounder with four kids? I'm young, I'm going to get the most out of it.
>Waste of space
I'll literally be in the middle of nowhere for the vast majority of the trip.
>Fanciful teenage dream
I've always hated that aspirations are considered synonymous with dreams. This has been done, is happening, and will continue.
>Stealing
I really don't think I will, I just said there was a good chance I'll change my mind because I knew I wasn't going to change his.
>Selfish lifestyle
From what I've heard, it's quite the opposite. I'll just have to see for myself.
>>
File: IMG_3428 (Custom).jpg (2MB, 4000x2761px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3428 (Custom).jpg
2MB, 4000x2761px
What's up OP. I'm packing for a weekish tour tomorrow (summer here). Pic related is my bike. Gonna go buy a few more things now before shops shut.

I will read the thread later.

Universewithme inspires me the most. There's also a pretty cool guy's thread about his tour on /n/.

http://en.universewithme.com/
>>
newfag /out/er here

can't decide if I should get my first road bike or a mountain bike. I would manly be riding on roads but some roads are bad dirt roads since I live in the woods, can road bikes go on dirt smoothly? also would I be able to get a decent bike for around $200?
>>
File: git out.jpg (752KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
git out.jpg
752KB, 2064x1161px
This is how I roll, I usually do tours that last up to a week. My setup is inexpensive and luckily I don't have to worry too much about my bike getting stolen.
>>
>>913256
never ridden a road bike, only ever owned mountain bikes, how is the grip on sand / loose ground
>>
File: IMG_2781.jpg (269KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2781.jpg
269KB, 1000x750px
>>910968
Steering will never be as snappy with 10+ kilos up front no matter how low down, in line with the steering axis or close to the fork etc your panniers are.

I'm sorry anon, but that has repeatedly been proven to be false. I'm not saying that frontloading in all circumstances is the right decision, but some bikes (pic related) are specifically designed for front-loading.

Not all bikes are built equally.
>>
File: 20161203-P1050313.jpg (539KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
20161203-P1050313.jpg
539KB, 1000x563px
>>913264
aaaaaand my other bike (the nishiki) which isn't quite as low-trail as the Soma that I just posted.

It still handles much better with a front load, although this one does exhibit some slugishness when weighted down. The red/white soma (sorry, don't have a more recent pic) handles superbly when heavily loaded up front.

This thread is giving me the feels. Touring season is over and fatbiking season has started.
>>
>>913260

I've never had any problems with roads so far. Normal gravel roads and such are no difficulty for me, nevertheless I prefer to drive on a paved road. If I drove on difficult terrain more regularly I'd change the tires though.

If I were you I'd try it out myself before, but I'd get the road bike.
>>
>>911042
>an extra wheel
i hope you mean a tire

also the whole point of having a dedicated touring bike is that it's pretty much always repairable. I mean if your frame breaks in half you are probably already dead from the crash... Otherwise all stuff is replaceable and it doesn't have to be that expensive. Don't fucking steal a new bike if you fuck up so your one breaks

>>911253
The whole "get sick of drinking water because of different bacteria culture" thing is a myth. You get sick beause those countries don't have proper water sanitation. How getting clean water works is different in different countries. Some you have to buy, in mountaineous areas you can just get from streams etc. Bring diarrhea pills, they might save your life. You can't really prepare for getting e.coli other than mentally and bringing diarrhea stoppers (which are only temporary mind you)

>>911802
if the time comes just look up a local bike shop and talk to the owner they'll probably help. Don't ever steal shit

>>911844
>muh productive member of society
eat shit really

>>913271
fuck dude that nishiki is a really nice bike
>>
>>913576
There is a big difference between touring small distances on a bike having money and TRAVERSING THE FUCKING WORLD ON BIKE ON A BUDGET like OP wants.

If he is really on a budget the time will come where he will have to steal shit, otherwise there is no way he will finish traverling around the world.
>>
>>913576
>implying its possible to tour the world while being a poorfag without dumpsterdiving and stealing bike parts.
>>
Is touring possible in the UK without spending shit tonnes in hotels or camp sites?
Also any bikes that you know of for under £500, im a poorfag.
>>
>>913698
>>913831
Sounds like you really want to justify stealing. I'm guessing you've stolen quite a bit in the past, maybe you should feel bad about that instead of convincing others that it's okay
>>
>>913851

>Also any bikes that you know of for under £500?

If you buy a used one you will get a very good bike for that price. I paid 300€ for >>913256.
>>
>>913866
Im not justifying anything, in fact I mention that I dont condone it.

Im just being realistic, if you are on a tight budget ($2000 ish) and want to traverse the world be it on foot hitchhiking or on bike, you will have to resort on dumpsterdiving and stealing to support said lifestyle.
>>
>>911253
Get a water filter. Sawyer mini doesn't cost that much and handles most waterborne pathogens pretty well.
>>
I feel like you'd be killed if this was done in America. Americans hate bikers or walkers. Every time I walk with my dog it seems like people stare at me angrily or try to bully me further into the ditch or wherever I'm forced to walk because there are zero sidewalks.

People and their two ton death machines are cunts.
>>
>>914037
This sounds like it's a bigger problem for you than others, I've never had this problem.
>>
>>913831
>>913698
there's a difference between being on a budget and being a hobo
you can try to get to know people in the area you are in. people are usually very friendly and someone will probably help you out with second hand cheap as fuck shit.
>>
>>913900
why did you just pick that number out of your ass? That's not a budget that's being a literally broke, really you can't afford much more than plane tickets with that
>>
>>914203
>>914202
>I've been trying to find ways to traverse the world being a poorfag

>I'm not really worried about dying, I kinda hate contemporary society and this is preferential to a bullet through my head.

He probably is a neet social outcast I wont have much money to his name, you people assuming he has money to travel the world is wrong when he specifically asks for ways to do it without money AKA being poorfag as a way to get out of society and avoid commiting suicide.
>>
stupid question , but where do I find touring buddys ?

I live in germany and would really like to get into touring more.
>>
>>913878
What bike model is it?
>>
File: 1452744750367.jpg (282KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1452744750367.jpg
282KB, 1920x1200px
>>914258
>neet social outcast
It hurts because it's true.

But yeah, I don't have any money. I can save up to buy the equipment (in a few years), but after that I'm out.
>>
File: 1450931054340.png (2MB, 1332x899px) Image search: [Google]
1450931054340.png
2MB, 1332x899px
>>914272
Ask everyone. I know if someone randomly asked me if I wanted to I would be stoked.
>>
File: BAIKU.jpg (145KB, 542x960px) Image search: [Google]
BAIKU.jpg
145KB, 542x960px
I know its a meme but something else to consider is a 'bikepacking' style bike. I come from a road touring background and always had disdain for the whole bike touring re-invented shit that bikepacking promotes and have never really given it much time.

That was until I went on a group ride with a bunch of guys with bikepacking setups while I was riding with two front panniers and a small seatpack, I lasted 3 days before sending my panniers, front rack and another 5 kilos of gear home. After that the ride was far more enjoyable, the lighter you can get your kit and the more luxuries you go without the more fun you end up having in my experience, I finished that trip with only 25 litres of luggage space and loved every second of it.

I understand that bikepacking bags are not as durable as a rack and pannier for long extended tours but it is definitely something to consider if your interested in heading off road and riding some trails.
>>
>>914272

>I live in germany and would really like to get into touring more.

Pls be in Hesse.

>>914360

It's a "Tallard", they are not produced anymore.
>>
>>914672
Bikepacking is awesome but it's really not what OP is looking for at all

>>914553
can't you get a less shitty job that pays a little bit more?
>>
>>910598
Kamakura?
>>
>>914793
sadly, in sachsen anhalt
>>
>>910512
>carry a small rifle
>recommends a .22 takedown
For fucking what? Hunting squirrels on the way? OP is going to get slammed with fines and get his shitty gun taken away if he gets caught, unless he wants to buy a hunting license in every state he goes through, not to mention the risk of breaking firearm laws while travelling through certain states. As for defense, you couldn't have picked a worse gun and caliber. Post your guns or stop recommending junk.
>>
>>913851
wild camping is legal in scotland. git good. actually ignore me, if you had any actual aspirations to this you'd know that already
>>
>>915455
Pretty much this.

When I saw
>AR7 is best
I thought: wut?

Mine was a choke machine.

It it not:
>waterproof

It does float.

And it does not:
>fold up

It does takedown by removing the barrel and receiver and fitting them into the bulbous for floation stock.

If OP wants to bicycle to Arg I assume he will go though Mexico and subsequent Central American countries, mone of which, including Mexico, would allow import of firearms.

So all in all, very, very bad advice, from suggestion to selection.
>>
what kind of gear do you need to go camping in snow? usually I watch hiking videos so they have a fire going and it's all fine. I camped during a frost once with my shitty gear and I thought I was gonna die. which pad/bag/tent do you winter campers use?
>>
>>910328
Hey fag. Look up those cheap 49cc engines you can attach to bicycles. They're on eBay. With a bit of work you could motorise your bike and travel some real distance for not much fuel cash. Might be worth it?

Remember pedalling all day is exercise and exercise means food is needed. A few dollars spent on fuel might mean less spent on food or supplies that help you cycle all day.
>>
>>916608
>missing the point of bike touring entirely.
>>
>>916612
I know, right?

Still, it's so much easier to take a jet plane, takes less calories.
>>
File: HAULIN.jpg (105KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
HAULIN.jpg
105KB, 960x638px
>>910328
rode this bad bitch from NYC to Asheville, NC in August. Packed a bit too much weight but it was a good time.
>>
>>910536
Its better to know a smaller area intimately than to just pass through a bunch of places...
>>
>>917192
Says the prisoner to the bird...
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.