[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tropical advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_4483-e1366398966619.jpg (372KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4483-e1366398966619.jpg
372KB, 1200x800px
Yo sc/out/s need your advice,
I got invited to some tropical Island called Dominica for 5 weeks start of February. They got pristine nature and miles and miles of trails in the rugged and unspoiled mountain landscape.
I'm an experienced hiker, problem is I am from the far north, Mountains, cold climate, having fun above tree line is my thing. I know jackshit about doing hiking in tropics. Can you anons from the sunny side of the planet teach me the basics?

I thought about bringing a hammock, I got a tttm hammock, and planed to buy a tttm mosquito net and a hennessy hex fly. Is that a usable setup? I've been told it is always sunny over there, save for the daily torrential rainfall.

Also hints on shoes and clothing? I assume sandals would get full of sand and mud on the trails, so rather some light shoe with good soles?

Plan is to do max 3 nights in the wild with stays at guest houses in between. So can you guys tell me about a good load out for a tropic weekender with lots of hiking?

>pic not mine
>>
>bamping with some rainforest pics
>>
first of all wool socks oh it will be hot yeah but you wont get foot fungus like crazy
>>
Take care of your feet, air them, talc them, have spare socks.

Hammock is the way to go, rest assured. Check night time temps, you might not need a UQ/pad.

For clothes, probably try for zip-off nylon trousers, the thin ones that dry fast? I don't like shorts if the trails are thick. A sun hat is good to have too.
>>
>>910046
Enjoy the bugs

>>910128
Probably won't get cold at night if it's anything like here (depending how close to the ocean). Ocean temps regulate air temps so much that it rarely drops much more than 10F from daytime high to night lows.
>>
>>910135
>Enjoy the bugs
Ever seen a swarm of black flies blot out the sun?

>>910128
>>910135
Early Morning Late Morning Early Afternoon Late Afternoon Early Evening Overall
73.6° F 81.7° F 82.7° F 80.1° F 74.3° F 75.5° F

Thats at the coast, I assume the mountains will be colder at night and much more wet, I'll try to avoid comping at higher altitudes and get back to some valley before nightfall. I fought about bringing a silken sleeping bag inlet at most, is that a good idea?
About the foot thing, so keep it dry as possible during hikes? or better have shoes that might get wet but also get dry again fast?
Anything other than the usual I should add to my medkit?
>>
>>910147
>Ever seen a swarm of black flies blot out the sun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmButrXUqQ
>>
>>910147
Valleys are cold air bowls.
>>
>>910167
>a namefag
>>
>>910046
Go to your doctor before going. Tell him to give you the appropriate vaccinations for the region. Malaria is no fun.
>>
>>910441
No Malaria, no dengue, no yellow fever, minimal risk of typhoid fever, minimal risk of Zika fever, no dangerous animals or critters, the worst things are a rare poisonous tree and a centipede with a bee like bite.
That and hurricanes and volcanoes and earth quakes.
>>
Question, is a poncho a good idea to bring in tropic climate?
>>
>>910744
I used to use a silynylon poncho tarp as both rain gear and hammock tarp when I lived in the med. Would recommend (as long as you're happy with poor side coverage from asym tarp setup)
>>
>>910801
well, I do not plan on using it as a tarp, just as a normal poncho.
>>
Does /out/ recommend any chemical insect repellents?
>>
>>911002
DEET is the standard.
>>
>>910816
Poncho is my preferred rain protection in almost every case (excluding exposed alpine conditions where it's nice to have a full suit)

In the hot weather it's perfect as it vents well, and if you do get wet arms/legs it's not the end of the world.
>>
>>911406
Ok, I'll check for one of those. Do you recommend a model where you can take the backpack under the poncho? I have a separate rain cover for the pack, so i could as well leave it outside?
>>
Any shoe recommendations?
>>
File: figure9.jpg (44KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
figure9.jpg
44KB, 600x480px
EEEEEEE. EEEEE. E. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>912992
Moab Vents are the standard
>>
>>913011
So like fuck the GTX membrane because it is more important that the shoe dries quick?
>>
>>910046
I really like hiking barefooted, specially near rivers. Far from water I use shoes, usually flipflops. But Idk man, just drink water, buy some anthelmintic and be happy.
I'd buy a mosquito net for sure, make sure your tent is tight because ants are everywhere, I mean everywhere.
>>910444
None of those have vaccines :^). And if there are no dangerous critters flip flops and barefoot would be my choice.
>>910744
Why tho?
>>912992
Flip flops for one day hikes and something closed for more than one day.
>>
File: IMG_20161218_155302717.jpg (5MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_155302717.jpg
5MB, 4160x2340px
>>915323
>>
File: IMG_20161215_172117952_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161215_172117952_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>915326
>>
File: IMG_20161215_161752145.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161215_161752145.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>915328
wyld doge
>>
File: IMG_20161218_162920624.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_162920624.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>915330
I wish I knew how to make webums. They werw popping spores like crazy
>>
>>915323
this is how you get a parasite in all of you
>>
>>915342
Anti helminthics are cheap as shit and you will only get contaminated if you go over contaminated grounds. The only thing I heard you could get from your feet is hookworm? And a tad of albendazole for three days will literally clean everything. Don't you have anti helminthics in the US?
>>
>>915344
Also taking anti helminthics after any long expedition (barefooted or not) is my default posture since forever. Most scary worms you get is from the ingestion of contaminated food and water not from walking barefooted.
>>
>>915323
Don't have a tent on this holidays mate, I plan on Tarp & hammock & mosquito net.
I got some xeroshoes barefoot sandals, which I bring anyways for beach use and river expeditions.
And I fucking hope not to pic up worms!
>>
>>915353
If you are on hammock then ants will be no problem. Are you white, like piggy brit rosy white? If so heat stroke can be a serious problem that will make your trip very shitty. I'm tanned as leather so I have no problem usually.

But tropical things (unless you are going in the amazon for a month with only your pocket knife) are not a big problem if you are prepared. There is a great deal of myth and "Oh, so manly and hard and difficult!" these stupid shows give you but really it isn't that much. Just don't do anything stupid.

To fight worms make sure local meat is cooked and vegetables are washed. (If they are contaminated in the first place), but that's very rare outside of Africa. Anyways have a nice trip.
>>
>>915355
Actually I am going to some Caribbean Island, as stated int he OP post. There would be a 2 week trail trough the island, but then I hate trough hiking and rather choose my hikes myself.
Then there is over 300 fresh water rivers, 9 active volcanoes, hot springs, pristine beaches and other cool stuff.
After one week of sweating like a pig I usually grow used to hot climates. And I always wear a hat or similar in the direct sun. Also, the food seems pretty save.
>>
Bring newspaper. Tropicalfag from the army here. Since nothing gets dry, stuffing your boots with newspaper before going to sleep will be enough to make the boot dry when you wake up.
>>
>>916463
right, thanks for the info.
>>
>>916463
But how will the paper stay dry?? Really activates my almonds
>>
>>910046
>I got a tttm hammock, and planed to buy a tttm mosquito net

Are these good, /out/? I'm on the market for a great hammock that will keep me warm, dry and safe from insects.
>>
also, any general hammocking advice on tropical climates?
>>
>>916703
Stop asking for advices about hammocks, buy a hammock, set up a hammock, stop being a faggot.
>>916689
Yes, very light, comfy if you know how to sleep in it. There are some hammocks that come with a mosquito net and a little pillow (which turns to be the bag you store the hammock). Very comfy
>>
File: walkaway.gif (1MB, 285x212px) Image search: [Google]
walkaway.gif
1MB, 285x212px
>>917680
>Stop asking for advices about hammocks
>comfy if you know how to sleep in it.
>if you know
>if
>>
>>916703
Kammock. We slept in a double together and this was the only brand that was comfy - tried a few.
Something about how it is stretchy webbing .
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.