[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jobs in natural resource management and/or forestry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Outdoorsphoto[1].jpg (443KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Outdoorsphoto[1].jpg
443KB, 1600x1200px
Anyone in /out/ work in natural resource management or forestry? I'm trying to get out of the medical field as a lab slave. I have GIS experience and statistics experience in addition to a Biology background. I'm picking up various books to get me started, but for anyone that works in these areas, what are the most important things I should learn? Are there any decent free resources online?
>>
>>909382
Wildland firefighter. They love people with medical experience

GL anon
>>
>>909817
Taking a forest fire control class at my university. How hard is it to get hired as a wildland firefighter in CA?
>>
>>909847
It is pretty competitive, start calling random crews now, it might take a year or two before you even get anything but definitely worth it

https://www.reddit.com/r/forestry/comments/44ya8i/how_to_get_a_job_as_a_wildland_firefighter/

That thread has some pretty good info. But yeah look into the BLM, NPS, local crews, etc. Go all over. You need to talk to people before you'll get a job though, if they never heard of you they probably won't hire you.
>>
>>909382
Why not call up the people that do it where you're from and tell them you'd like to come in and talk with someone about a career in the field and try to get some ideas about what you'd need to do to make it happen if you're not already qualified. First off you get specific info for where you're from and second you now know people on the inside who think you have some initiative. Just set it up as a non official type thing and come in in something outdoors casual. GIS would probably help and stats is always great for governement. medical background as was said can't be a bad thing and I'd bet the lab experience would be a plus too.
>>
>>909382
With regards to forestry, if you just want to spend more time outdoors, get a two year degree, if you're interested in more than taking measurements and and actually are interested in having some control over the management of forest's then at least go for a bachelor's.

P.s. the latter can transfer into a bachelor's program if decide to change your mind.
>>
>>909817
Working in a medical lab =/= medical experience, I can do molecular lab work which has nothing to do with firefighting. I'm also looking for office work in these areas as opposed to risking death as a firefighter.
>>
>>909938
>actually are interested in having some control over the management of forest's then at least go for a bachelor's.

No way am I going to re-do a bachelors degree and take on another $100K+ in debt.
>>
>>909944
>100k+ in debt for a 4yr degree

you have made some mistakes
>>
>>909942
oh sorry, missed OP's lab part. He can still get into it if he takes a lot of first aid courses. I got some more advanced ones and that is how I got in
>>
>>909944
Ex military anon here. looking at going to Virginia Tech for a BA in Forestry. How do my odds look?
>>
>>909382
I have done 4 seasons of reforestation and there are few things less likeable than a clueless forester.
>>
>>909956
Yes, I was initially med school bound but I had the field of medicine. Anyway, I'm not going to go back to school to do a bachelors in forestry.
>>
>>909965
What exactly is a forester? I've heard this term describe basically every job in a forestry firm.
>>
>>909967
hated not had**
>>
>>909968
A pasty faggot with a clipboard and a plot cord and a shiny new vest who has never planted a box of trees in his life and still somehow knows how to do it better than you.
>>
>>909977
Neat, I want to be a forestry spatial analyst to make use of my GIS skills. How much forestry knowledge do you need for that and how much can you learn on your own?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.