[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying ski goggles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

Only going once a year, don't want to spend too much. What brand should I buy? cheap brand or pro brand but low end goggles?
any suggestion /out/ ?
>>
try and look for a goggle that has interchangeable lenses and fits your face and nose properly. Goggles are one of those things that you can cheap out on but imo you shouldnt. A good pair will save you the frustration of fogging up or not being able to see anything cause you cant change your lense. I would personaly recomend the Smith I/O
>>
File: DSC_4790_-L.jpg (215KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4790_-L.jpg
215KB, 800x533px
>>909260
I would buy two pairs of cheap ones if you're only using them once a year.
If one ices up/freezes/fogs out, swap for the 2nd.
Dual-pane lenses are a must.
Auto parts stores sell 3-pack microfiber cloths - grab a pack of those and keep one in your pocket and another in your pack.

I carry two or three goggles on my sled, but I have a cubby on the dash that's vented underhood, a totally frozen/fogged set of goggles will defrost in about 20mins of riding from the heat in there.
Usually have a pair of clear/untinted in my pack if I get stuck out after dark. Sometimes I just take a set of clear lenses.

I buy the more expensive higher-end goggles, because they're the only ones that fit my face/helmet well and don't ice out. Most days I can go without swapping them out if it's not a total shit-weather day.
The cheap ones leak or fit weird, and ice out in a few hours of riding.
>>
>>909260
Giro is a solid cheap brand, thats what I used before I really got into snowboarding. There are tons of diy antifog solutions online, you'll want to check them out.
>>
>>909260
cheap goggles are all the same, and all not worth using.

I own oakley flight deck and anon mig, with various lenses. the oakleys imo are among the top few goggles on the market, and are a joy to use
>>
if you're only going once a year get some cheapos.
i usually manage to get on the mountain 5-8 times a season and i wear these
https://www.amazon.com/CRG-Sports-Snowboard-CRG105-9A-Mirrored/dp/B00PMK238U/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1481529673&sr=1-6&keywords=crg+goggles
the only differences b/w these and the high dollar goggles i had awhile ago are
>slight color distortion near the edges of the lens
>no grippy silicone on the inside of the headband
>i won't cry when i scratch these
you can buy the cheapest brand name gogs, but they'll usually be smaller and you'll still pay more cuz marketing.
>>
File: aw hell no aless.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
aw hell no aless.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>910279
>you're going once a year?
>better spend 150 dollars + just on eyewear
>>
pretty happy with my Anon (what's in a name) Helix.
bought it of amazon for 24 euro's (is normally 50 bucks or so) and comes with extra lens.
never fogs up on me
>>
File: IMG_0756.jpg (418KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0756.jpg
418KB, 1280x960px
>>911003
forgot pic
>>
>>909260
Remember you always get what you pay for.

That said, consider visor helmets (I think thats the english term anyway).

You should be wearing a helmet in the first place, but the thing with almost all goggles is that they restrict your FoV. Up and down is no big deal, but to the left and right, those "black bars" (the rim of the goggles) really mean you gotta swivel your neck around a lot more to see the same.

Fun fact - the corners of your eyes are actually better at detecting motion than the center of the eyes because there are fewer light sensor thingys (biology was never my strong subject). This is, for instance, why you use the corners of your vision to scan for aircraft, or at least thats what they told us when I was in the service. Anyway, that movement detection from your eyes' corners can and will help you dodge those uber fast reckless "sporting" skiiers and crashing into other people and the like, provided you can use them - which you can't with goggles, but can very well with those visor helmets.
>>
>>913006
oh and also skiing goggles and actual prescription glasses really don't work well in conjunction in my experience
>>
>>911004
Gaper spotted
>>
>>913006
I hope this is a joke. You will look like the biggest fucking jerry if you buy a visor helmet
>>
>>909260
Quality is Smith optics with interchangeable lenses but they are $$$
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.