[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time backpacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: hiking-backpacking.jpg (23KB, 350x234px) Image search: [Google]
hiking-backpacking.jpg
23KB, 350x234px
I'm looking for some tips in general and on gear for a first time backpacking trip.
I have no gear whatsoever now. I'm planning on going to the pyrenees in april and south canada in summer.

This is what I've been looking at so far, I try to make it as cheap and light as possible, while making sure the gear is durable enough to survive the trip:

Karrimor Xilite Self inflating mat (+- 600 gr, 20 euros)
Karrimor Superlight 1 sleeping bag( +- 850 gr, emp range: 12"C to -8"C , 20 euros)
Karimor Bobcat 2 tent (+-2 kg, 54 euros)
Gelert Groundsheet (+-100 gr, 2 euros)
Gelert Cookset and burner (+- 1 kg, 20 euros)
You can find all these on http://www.gelert.com/
Does anyone know if this is crap or got any advice?
Ive also been looking at the quickhiker ultralight 2 of 150 euros, 1,9 kg. Ive seen some nice reviews.

I still have to find a proper backpack as well.
>>
I also have something like this in mind:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Wood-Stove-Solidified-Alcohol-Stove-Outdoor-Cooking-Picnic-Camping-VS-/161783011521?hash=item25ab04d8c1:g:qoAAAOSwPcVVvw~v#rwid

Ive seen great reviews on a similar construction which was about 50 euros.
>>
>>908445
That sleepingbag is gonna be way too cold for the pyrenees in april.
>>
>>908458
What should the comfort temp be like then? Cause I thought it should be around 5-10.
>>
>>908466
i just looked at the climate graph for andorra and mean min temp at 1000 m goes from 3 to 5 degrees in april. That means 0° C will not be exceptional and this on 1000 m, if you sleep higher it will be even colder. For april i'd get at 0-5°C comfort rating and if you get the 5°C you're taking a risk on having cold nights, and believe me, its not fun laying awake all night because its too cold to sleep.

For me the comfort rating is with a proper sleeping pad in tent or bivy and with thermal underwear. If it gets colder i can add maybe 3 degrees by keeping more clothes on but this also reduces general comfort. If it gets under the comfort rating i'll start waking up more often during the night and if it gets about 5°C under the comfort rating (without added clothes) i won't be able to sleep anymore.
>>
>>908565
Okay what about the treking forclaz 0 degrees sleeping bag of quechua, 1,6 kg comfort around 0 degrees..?
With the outher sleeping bag I would bring a thinker space blanket and a thermo mat to compromise.
Do you have a bag of your own you use?
>>
>>908590
yeah the trekking forclaz 0°C should do it. A space blanket is not very practical to top up your sleeping bag and a sleeping pad or thermo mat as you call it is mandatory, not a compromise. Even with the forclaz 0°C make sure you have a proper mat (cheap 2cm thick ccf pad is ok, or the self inflating one you want to buy if it doesn't leak, karrimor has some low quality products)

Yeah i own 3 sleeping bags and have used even more and i still underestimate the night temperature sometimes and every fucking time it happens i regret it and would have been a lot happier to have brought the extra weight on the trip.
>>
>>908445
Catalanon here,

I can confirm that >>908458 is right and would go even further to recommend something with lower comfort. It highly depends on which area you want to hit, the south is going to be warmer and temperature drops like crazy with height. Northwest can also be very cold. However it´s april so you might be lucky and get a warm spell or be unlucky and get shitfaced with non-stop rain, cold (few degrees below 0 at nights, max -7 I'd say from top of my mind) or even the odd snow.

Again it all depends on the area and how the weather is going to be.

I would recommend you get the Ferrino Sleepingbag Nightec 300. I have one on the line (can´t recall if this or a similar one) and I can´t recommend it enough. It´s the only sleeping bag you´ll need unless you start going hardcore on colder climates.

Your cooking rig kind of sucks but I might be very biased towards gas stoves which I find very convenient.

Your mat seems alright but it´s not very isolated so again, more reasons to get a warmer sleeping bag.

The tent seems alright (I wouldn`t really get the groundsheet but it´s cheap and light so go ahead if you fancy it).

Long story short, april can be rainy as fuck and sometimes cold. Get gear for that.

>you forgot to mention your boots, semi-rigid and waterproof should do the trick.
>>
>>908639
The boots I'll be bringing are the boots Ive ben walking in every day on for de past 3 years in the Alps, walk like a dream.
What kind of cooling rig you use exactly? I thought bringing a gas stove would be heavier. But hey, I dont have experience with anything, so I'd like to see it al
(btw Im first doing a trial-trip in the Ardennes (live in Holland) before going abroad, to see what works and what doesnt). Keep the tips on gear coming please,
>>
>>908832
*cooking
>>
>>908832
You can get the standard campingaz cooker for 20 euros or the slightly upgraded one for about 30 if I remember wel (in Decathlon), there is of course better options but I don't really know much about that. It will be heavier but not by much but it will be bulkier. If you are going solo you won't use much gas so one canister should last you enough until you get somewhere where they sell more. Campingaz is popular in Spain so their replacements are relatively easy to find.
>>
>>908910
Would that still be useful in Canada though? You have wood or methane/alcohol nearly everywhere, I dont know if dragging little gastanks along would be more practical.
>>
>>908832
Gaz is easiest to use, especially if you need to cook in your tent. I got a Kovea spider and are very happy with it. That said, on shorter trips in fair weather I take an alco stove, because lighter and I can customize it.
If it is your first, go for a good gaz stove. Don't bring to many pots, usually a pot and a kettle is more than enough for one person. Often hot food is not that important, you can live on bread, cheese and sausage quite well, but having hot tea is a must.
If you are not a die hard ultra lighter, take a solid 3 season sleeping bag, you can always sleep half open if it is too warm. Make sure you got a good sleeping pad, I prefer evazote mats because they insulate great and are indestructible, but thats a personal choice, other prefer inflatable ones.
>>
>>908914
If you can cook on open fire, than do that. no stove needed in that case, just a sturdy pot with good handles.
>>
Ok just remember when buying a bag. It will keep you alive at the temperature on the bag. Not warm. If it hits -8c you're gonna be really sad. Also alcohol stoves are very useful but my personal favorite is a wispier light. Refillable camp gas, cheap, sturdiest motherfuckers on the planet. If it stops working tap it against a tree.
>>
I would recommend going with a hammock setup (especially for Canada). The only time I ever use tents anymore is when I hike above the treeline or in the middle of winter.
>>
>>909191
i wouldnt for a first timer. Especially if he's going to the pyrenees where the odds are fair he's gonna want to camp above treeline. I also think at those temperatures he's gonna want an underquilt, and its too much of an investment if you're not sure yet you like hammocks, and sleeping with a pad in a hammock sucks dick unless you knock yourself out with whatever. And some people just have difficulties sleeping sideways in a hammock or with a slightly bent back (yeah even laying a bit sideways), or cause they move a lot when sleeping or they're not able to sleep with the slight wobble when there is a bit of wind or body movement. Don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-hammock, but i think its just a bit risky to like or not and sololey depend on it if its your first multiple day semi alpine hike, bad sleep can be so demotivating. But try it for sure, if after the pyrenees you wanna have more then bring a hammock with a setup you can also use on the ground. Bringing a hammock is never a lost weight, even if you're someone who cant have decent sleep in one its still awesome to just chill in to read or sit while cooking or watch the stars etc... And they're cheap and light. Fuck yeah just bring one to test in the pyrenees on a night you know its gonna be a fair night and you have a backup spot for the tent.
>>
>>909326
thanks, thats actually an awesome idea! You got any advice about a bag? how many liters for such a trip, brands etc. Some are especially designed for women, but does that really matter?
>>
>>909326
A hammock is going to be useless in the pyrenees as you leave the tree line in day 1 and usually won't go back to it until the last day.

>>909395
The bag capacity is largely dependant on your style and how many days you´ll be packing. I usually go 70+ but that might be an overkill, a 60L+ is what I'd recommend as a multi day trek bag.
>>
>>909402
I'll probably be packing for about 5 days to a week, and refill at a town. so 60 should be fine then right?
>>
>>909405
Yeah, also there are lots of options of 60+ and 65+ bags
>>
>>909408
what price range should I look at? Cause there are so many different ones, ranging from 50 to 200. Like, would this be fine? http://www.decathlon.nl/backpack-forclaz-easyfit-60-l-id_8300844.html
>>
File: Decathlon 70+10.jpg (84KB, 710x960px) Image search: [Google]
Decathlon 70+10.jpg
84KB, 710x960px
>>909410

That depends on your budget. From decathlon you also have the symbium 50+10 or the 70 + 10 which are solid designs. I have the legacy design of the 70+10 symbium and has lasted me for more than 10 years (although it´s kind of falling apart now)

>Pic related
>>
>>909414
Quechea doesnt seem like the better brand to buy, but I've read loads of reviews being very durable and sturdy. Besides the bags, do you know other product of theirs that are as good a quality? Since their products are cheap, I was looking a tent, a mat, and a sleepingbag of theirs as well.
>>
>>909421
Qechua is as Froclaz, a branding name of Decathlon products, they are entry level and have a very good quality / price ratio.
I have used all their stuff that you mention and was happy with it, the only thing I found a bit lacking was their sleeping bags but that was years ago and they may be better now. Decathlon is also starting to provide high-end stuff but I don´t know about that, I´ve red good stuff about their ultralight 2 man tent for example but haven't really tried it.
Their products are often good quality and durable but lean towards the heavier range and I think that about sums it up for Decathlon stuff.

The mountains in south of Europe generally look like a fucking giant Decathlon advert, everyone wears their shit.
>>
>>909425
a trip to decathlon it is then.

For the backpackers here. What is your list of stuff you take with (from how many socks to a compass), the essentials and the extra's.
>>
>>909426
I like to go light, so I really only ever bring one change of clothes (except in winter)
Get a water filter (Sawyer Mini is commonly recommended)
Your shelter, sleep system, fire starting system, and hydration are necessities. You can always experiment with the food you bring. The best advice anyone can give you is to bring good shoes/boots. If you have bad knees like me, then knee braces and trekking poles are great. If you find backpacking is your thing, then I would recommend eventually investing in a cuben fiber or sil nylon tarp. They weigh absolutely nothing and compress down equally, so you can bring it with you every time and not even notice it unless you need to use it. Definitely try hammock camping once to see if it's your thing. A hammock and underquilt (if necessary) take up little space and weigh nothing as well
>>
>>909426
>>909436
Dunno about canada but you won't need a water filter in the Pyrenees. Also hammock is not going to do any good there as stated before
>>
>>909482
I didn't say to try hammock camping in the Pyrenees, I said try it once. There's obviously no point in bringing a hammock if there are no trees...
>>
I did look at some hammock which could be used as tents as well, I will use it at some point, but for now a tent seems a bit more comfortable, since is also is a place to store your gear.

Any (small) things you find essential or just useful when hiking?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.