[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Farming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14

you guys do farming? if yes, post a photo of your farm or the farm you work at, here's a photo of one of my tractors :)
>>
Farming, the only occupation where you can still be a neet. Nothing like staying on the same property, in the same house for your entire life until your broken body finally wastes away and then your kids sell all your blood sweat and tears to the city for some quick cash
>>
File: 8543rfg.jpg (64KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
8543rfg.jpg
64KB, 604x403px
rate our sheep?
>>
File: 8330.jpg (113KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
8330.jpg
113KB, 1024x681px
>>907885
You're not going to get far as a neet farmer. Handshakes, morning coffee gatherings, knowing everyone who farms and everything they're doing, good relationships with neighbors, regularly visiting landlords, maintaining contact with the USDA office, knowing the guys at the elevator/market....if you think you can be a farmer and not talk to people you don't know shit about farming.

Pic related, my office.
>>
I worked on a dairy farm, running SDI irrigation and pivots. Grew alfalfa, oats, wheat, and corn.

Lots of trenching and grading and the occasional massive blowout when a 12" line would give.

Fun times, but the pay sucked. I love farming but i dont like a lot of farmers
>>
I drove a case 5140 and 580 superM most of the time. I really miss operating. 2 pm in the middle of May out in the field, hauling rock to fill in pivot ruts. CCR on the radio.

You can't beat that type of work for peace of mind
>>
>>908352
>talking to all the other horse neets means you arent one
Ok

Well what about that other shit i said about how you will stay there forever til you die? Why does that appeal to you?
>>
File: ayylmao.jpg (159KB, 1037x692px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
159KB, 1037x692px
>>908365
>You can't beat that type of work for peace of mind
Agreed.
>>
>>908352
If she's yellow and green, she shouldn't be seen.
>>
>>907813
nice trapdur
>>
File: image.jpg (361KB, 1280x727px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
361KB, 1280x727px
Here's what I did for two years of my life
>>
File: image2.jpg (628KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
628KB, 1280x960px
>>908576
>>
File: image3.jpg (420KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image3.jpg
420KB, 1280x960px
>>908577
>>
File: image4.jpg (668KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image4.jpg
668KB, 1280x960px
>>908578
>>
File: image5.jpg (430KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image5.jpg
430KB, 1280x960px
>>908580
>>
>>908365
can't
afford
something
eelse
>>
File: farm.jpg (162KB, 1134x720px) Image search: [Google]
farm.jpg
162KB, 1134x720px
I did WWOOF at a farm. It was pretty great until I broke a rib and they kicked me off because they couldn't afford to keep me there while I wasn't working.

Aside from the shitty owners, I really enjoyed it. Inspired me into starting my own homestead by the end of 2018.
>>
>>907885

>what is mechanised farming
>what is agricultural science
>what is the global food market

Your ideas about farming are at least 50 years old.
>>
>>908422
Well if it's red, it goes in the shed
>>
File: Laughing-Then-Crying-Meme-09.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Then-Crying-Meme-09.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
I grew up on a farm. I hated every second of it. Then my family finally sold it after trying to keep it afloat after my dad passed. I cried so much after that, I realized I don't want to live in a city I just want to have a farm. I miss it every day, and I constantly try to work out ways of achieving it. The only reason I'm in university now is so I can save up enough to buy some land.
>>
>>908835
on the upside, now that you're in university you can find some leftist whore and fuck the stupidity out of her turning her into proper wife material.
>>
>>908836
Not really sure that's how it works.
>>
>>908837
>>908836
I'm trying to meet one through church so she isn't already brainwashed. I met a perfect one over the summer who was super Christian and /out/ but she already had a boyfriend.
>>
>>907885
Owning a farm is real stability - not just for you but for your entire bloodline.

Somebody in your family down on their luck? They can come work on the farm. Family member convicted of a crime, and thus unemployable? They can come work on the farm. Family member doesn't like city-living? Farm-or-bust.

The trick is keeping it in the family, but also in the right hands. If your kids are rotten shits that have no interest in the farm (even after growing up and watching it provide for them), don't leave it to them when you die. Instead leave it to an interested nephew or cousin with the proper stipulations outlined in your will.

Not to mention that your food is taken care of for the rest of your life and the lives of your heirs. I want one so bad, but I probably won't ever get there with land prices ever-rising and employment becoming scarcer with each passing year - not to mention my 0 experience.

Anyone know how to break into the farming industry? I was thinking of e-mailing a few farms in the mid-west USA and seeing if they could use a farmhand for a few years in exchange for experience and room-and-board but who would help a stranger - not to mention future competitor - like that these days?
>>
>>909227
WWOOFing is literally exactly what you are looking for
>>
>>909246
Hot shit! How have I not found this before? Thank you very, very much anon!
>>
>>908411
Why does being a cosmopolitan swine appeal to you?
>>
>>909221
Kill the boyfriend then. Duh!
>>
>>909379
that's a very christian thing to do
>>
>>909379
>>909387
They'll break up eventually, but I never asked for her number so it won't matter
>>
>>909432
that's a very 4chan thing to do
>>
>>907885
Says the fuel ving in some shithole apartment with crack head neighbors.
How many cars have been stolen out of your complex?
How many times has the gas station down on the corner been robbed?
Guess how many antibiotics and hormones you consume from that McDics and Burgerfat fast food diet of yours. The eggs you buy at the grocery store are bland and have all the same hormones as the chickens. Your produce is covered in pesticides.

Rural life is just better living.
>>
I just bought 25 acres on the Washington Olympic peninsula. Not a farmer, but I figure I'll try raising nut trees for some kind of profit while I work at my regular job.

Or run a few cattle, but that's not farming really.
>>
I used to be a farmer of sorts. I'd rather not show pictures, so as to not incriminate myself, but I miss the activity more than the plant, so I've been considering finding something else to grow in the future.

It would definitely be more livestock than farming perse, but I think I'm going to start some gorilla grow apiaries this spring.
>>
>>909227
I worked 365 eight hour shifts a year milking cattle last year. They provided me with a steady paycheck and housing with utilities paid for.

Made a little over $28,000 working 28/30 days a month. I'd work 12 days in a row, two of them being 16 hour shifts. In return I'd get two days off, those being Saturday and Sunday.
>>
I can't convince my mom to get a grant for a small business for being a woman wanting to start a small business to start a farm.

Sucks.
>>
File: IMG_20161208_172349.jpg (4MB, 3701x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161208_172349.jpg
4MB, 3701x2988px
>>907813

I'm a forester that works for farm in the UK. Can I post itt?

>tfw basically a farmer but I don't ever have to touch poo or smelly live stock
>>
>>912075
Milking cattle? I thought the term cattle referred to steer?

Never mind... I get it. ;)
>>
>>907980
cute af, anon, nice lil flock
>>
>>912136
forest fag pls go
>>
>>908411
DEATH TO THE URBANITES REEEEEE
>>
File: efi_forest_map_a0_d_191212.jpg (3MB, 7022x4967px) Image search: [Google]
efi_forest_map_a0_d_191212.jpg
3MB, 7022x4967px
>>912136
Sorry, but UK has literally no forest. You must be a liar
>>
>>912907
>>912917

But muh John Deere 6420 much Valera

:(
>>
>>907813
I want to get into farming but have no experiance whatsoever.

Where would be a good place to start? What would be a good crop to start out with and what would be a good crop to transition into for stable income?
>>
>>912959

Potatoes.
>>
>>912960
do i need to worry about soil conditions beyond ph? does it require any soil prep or can I just plop a potato into the ground and get going?
>>
>>912962

No. No. Yes. Potato good. Potato grow. Make wodka. Idi nahoi, cyka. Davai.
>>
>>912962
Potatoes are extremely easy to grow. Not profitable though I wouldn't think. But you could easily feed yourself. :D

Disclaimer: Not a farmer :D:D:D
Would like to be though XDDDD
>>
>>907980
sheep/10

>did not fall asleep while counting... good sign.
>>
File: IMG_0213.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0213.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I started an apple orchard on my farm.

Unfortunately pic related
>>
I worked at a dairy farm for a year, it wasn't bad but the schedule was fucking horrible not getting anytime off
>>
>>912959
Asparagus is good for starting if you want to sell, once they get going you have a high value perennial crop In spring for 20 years, interplant with fruit bushes and you get 2 expensive crops densely planted with just a few days work per year
>>
>>912990
If I just walk around a big property and bury slices of potato in the spring will they sprout up wild potatos if I just kind of ignore them?
>>
>>913181

What? You stepped in a puddle?

Is that the water table? Maybe you should raise tilapia in your orchard.
>>
>>908577
>>908578
>>908580

nice , im mad jelly
>>
I'm a horticulturist with a focus on silvo-pasture, forest gardening/NTFPs and halopyhtics.

I'm gonna start working with a commune with 300 acres in the inland Redwood forests. With so many springs and water sources I want to really expand beyond my drought in mind mentality since we don't have rain for 8 months out of the year on most of the state.

The issue now is dense forest cover, the Northeast facing mountain side and the cold sinks that has frost stuck all day.

Tbh I'm gonna build a hut in the mountain and ask for full profit of my forest patch in exchange for work on the main 10 acres.
>>
>>913337
It was a test hole before I dug a drain, takes 3 days to soak and a minute to fill up.

My hopes are high for them though (m111)
>>
>>913331
To many variables to give you a good answer, but once the potato gets started you could probably ignore it as long as it rained enough.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.