[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ I'm not sure if this is relevant to the board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: south_uist.jpg (71KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
south_uist.jpg
71KB, 700x467px
Hey /out/

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the board but I've browsed here a long time (mostly lurking for tips / guides) and I finally have something to post in return.

Last year I bought pic related, a church building on an island in hebrides (aka West Scotland) and in late January 2017 I'll be moving there to live full-time. I've spent time and money renovating it and preparing it in the hope of becoming at least somewhat self-sufficient eventually.

So far I have:

>installed solar panels
>prepared a chicken coop for eggs and white meat
>prepared grounds for crops and installed a polytunnel + windbreak
>installed water storage unit (no running water, though fresh water streams nearby)
>stocking up on tinned food

Any suggestions or questions about my plan?

Thanks again for being a super entertaining and helpful board.
>>
File: 1480466260207.jpg (161KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
1480466260207.jpg
161KB, 1200x630px
>>907796
Nice. How you gonna generate money for the stuff you're not (yet) self-sufficient in?
>>
>>907801
I have lived a monk-like lifestyle since graduating and working full-time at 21. The property was cheap since it's not designed for living in and has no heating / running water etc, so I had enough money left over to buy solar panels and so on. My uncle has a ton of tools since he's a carpenter and he travelled up there with me on two occasions since he thought it was a fun thing to do.

tldr: savings

As for making money, I have zero interest in doing that for at least a year. Maybe I'll have to return to the mainland and find a job at some point, but my intention is to detach myself as best I can from society for the next twelve months. There's a library in a town called Daliburgh so I'll cycle there if I feel the urge to shitpost or whatever.
>>
>>907809
Living the dream man, good luck!
>>
>>907815
Thanks, though chances are it'll take some time before I'm comfortable there. I'll try and take a camera and post some pics for /out/
>>
>>907796
>questions about my plan?

You going to vote Independent Scotland or stay cucked to the Brits?

I suppose, somewhat more seriously, look into windmills for alternate energy. Not just electric, but useful mechanical. If you're going to try Olde Schoole Homesteade, mill and loom and water and a few other things can be driven by windmill ... in addition to an extra backup generator.

Just balance the expense against the return to see if it's interesting for you. From what I recall of your location, wind is an inexhaustible resource that can supplement your solar. Part of the strategy is also sustainability and survivability through diversity of options.

I lived in Latvia for a few years. Pretty interesting native windmill designs.
>>
>>907818
I'm not Scottish so I can't vote on that. I don't really have an opinion on the subject.

And yes windmills are a great idea. Being an island with little forestry the wind can get quite strong (hence the windbreak).

I don't know much about specific designs or means of installing etc unfortunately, but any tips would be appreciated. I've read a ton of books (esp. John Seymour's stuff) but obviously applying that IRL is going to be tricky.
>>
>>907796
Where u get Firewood?
>>
I have done something similar in the south of Scotland.

Do you have a log burner and a wood supply?

How much experience do you have growing your own food?
>>
>>907809
Where will you poop?

Also I recommend fixing every possible draft in the house, just silicone the fuck out of everything, it'll be much better when it's 2am and snowing with no heating
>>
>>907825
Why are there no trees?
>>
>>907796
Very interesting anon. Do you have any interior pics? Good luck on your project and post also in the future with updates!
>>
>>907796
First of all that's pretty neat and I hope that you keep us updated.

Now, have you considered digging a well? Also how many m2 of land does it have?
>>
>>907943
The british ate all their trees. Because brexit.
>>
>>907796
Nice, I've been to the Hebrides multiple times and I love the area.
Thought about getting a fishing boat?
>>907943
The strong winds and rocky soil prevent trees from growing.
>>
V v v spooo000oooo000ooky.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/spooooky-houses-you-can-buy?utm_term=.rmv9xGGar#.koRkjwwE3

nice buy anon
>>
>>908071
Over and out OP.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.