[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter coat recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: dtc.jpg (62KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
dtc.jpg
62KB, 495x495px
I'm moving to northern Michigan soon and really want to be prepared. I need a nice, warm windproof coat. I prefer the workwear look, any recommendations?

Currently I'm considering something like pic related.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-outerwear/mens-work-jackets/32526.aspx?processor=content
>>
Stop calling a jacket a coat.
>>
Michigan being cold is a spook. I'm from Tennessee and went to Michigan for a week in December and it was the exact same fucking temperature as where I came from.
>>
>>906758
Go in February.

>>906722
Where exactly? Northern Michigan and the UP are two different things.
That's irrelevant though. Layering is the most important thing. Insulated underwear under a fleece midlayer under a coat under a shell
>>
>>906722
Get a carhartt made in USA jacket.
The hooded ones are warm as fuck, and you can't beat made in the USA
>>
>>906770
Can vouch for this anon, carhartts are godly.
>>
>>906764
Traverse City. I'm from Lansing anyway so I'm used to Michigan weather but I really, really hate being cold. I plan to get some thermals too.

>>906770
>>906789
I've been looking at some of these too.
>>
>>906790
Fellow Michigander here. I've lived in Lansing, Saginaw, Midland, West Branch, and now I'm in Holland. Traverse city will probably be the same temperature as Lansing due to the lake. It gets much colder inland than at the lakeshore. Think about it, could you grow cherries and grapes in Lansing? What will be different is the snow.

Buy a Carhartt, but get a good pair of boots and some snow pants.

Hey, remember the power outage a few years ago in Lansing? If you lived through that, you'll have no problems in Travers City.

>>906758

You got lucky. We don't have the temperature extremes of a lot of the upper midwest due to the lakes, but it changes really fucking fast.
>>
>>906790

Nice, I lived in Empire, right on the lake. About 25 minutes east of TC. I liked it a lot, great little section of the country there.
>>
>>906770
>and you can't beat made in the USA

lmao
the delusion
>>
File: IMG_2190.png (488KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2190.png
488KB, 640x1136px
>>906722
I work outside year rounds and wear pic related
Carhartt Ridge Coat w/ Sherpa lining
-outside is tough and durable
-inside is very comfy and warm
-hood snaps under collar
-not bulky like a normal Carhartt
Also it's /fa/ as fuck
>>
duluth is great
>>
I've got a big carhartt hooded jacket and a big poofy down jacket. The carhartt is good for +20F but when it got -20F for a week here, I rode my bike with the big poofy down jacket and it was way warmer, actually quite comfy. Northern Colorado. Either suck if they get wet.
>>
>>906929
Ok, be a good goyim and purchase some Chinese shit. Fucking normie
>>
>>906937
best part is, you can put a liter of Wildturkey in the inside pocket.
>>
>>907133
I'm sold
>>
File: TJ245_BD_FR.jpg (420KB, 1563x2000px) Image search: [Google]
TJ245_BD_FR.jpg
420KB, 1563x2000px
lifelong michigander....LP

not exactly a "coat" but worn this for several years now and it has done pretty well.....dress smart.....use layers

http://www.dickies.com/outerwear/sanded-duck-hooded-jacket/TJ245.html
>>
>>906722
>>906790
Current TC resident. Obviously depends year to year how cold it gets, but the biggest thing is wind off the bay. If you're going to be near the bay a lot it can get pretty blustery. Temps drop as you get inland, so if you're in Downtown it's warmer than if you live closer to Garfield Twp, Grawn, etc. We get decent lake effect, but it gets heavier the further inland you get. Guys around here mostly wear Carhartt, Walls, Dickies, or Patagonia if you're a hipster.

If you like hiking/ snowshoeing, or cross country skiing look up the Vasa Trail. Ice fishing is good up here, plenty of lakes with good public access. Holiday Hills downhill skiing if that's what you're into.

Currently, I wear an older Walls chore coat, Kamik National boots, and if need be insulated Carhartt overall/bib. Try the coat you want to buy on if at all possible. Comfort is king and buyers remorse is a sonofabitch. Welcome to the neighborhood.
>>
Carhartt, Wolverine or C.E. Schmidt workwear is great for MI. Grand Rapids/Metro-Detroit/East Tawas/Marquette here, I've got C.E. Schmidt bibs I use when it gets real bad in January + February. Layers are key. Otherwise its shorts and a full zip hoodie until December(ish). This year has been pretty warm so far because of the lakes. Waiting to see what the beginning of 2017 brings for us. I can definitely recommend C.E. Schmidt work wear, its cheaper than Duluth, slightly cheaper than Carhartt and will probably outlast you. Sold at every Tractor Supply.
>>
Mackinaw Cruiser if you're made out of money.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.