[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US made /out/ gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: Almost_unrelated.jpg (73KB, 465x300px) Image search: [Google]
Almost_unrelated.jpg
73KB, 465x300px
What US-made outdoors gear is worth buying?

Context: I'm a Eurofag due to visit the States (finally) in Spring next year.

I doubt I will be doing a huge amount of /out/ing there (as the trip is looking like more of a roadtrip), but I do want to buy some quality American made gear.

Why?

Because you hardly find US made anything in the EU, and it's always like 50% more expensive than in the States.

And there is something about outdoor gear made in the US that gives me a semi.

So - any advice?

What is still made in the US & still good?

This far I've got:
Benchmade
Spyderco
Buck
Leatherman (got a TT300 already)

Any of the other 3 good? Which models?

Thanks for any advice rendered.

a Euro
>>
Llbean
>>
>>906551
Darn Tough socks.
>>
>>906553
Isn't that a webzone that sells various items, both non-US and US made?

>>906569
Now this looks great, I'll have to pickup a pair or two.
>>
>>906551
Mystery ranch makes some quality gear.
>>
>>906551
Depends, what sort of outdoor gear are you in the market for?

Various cottage businesses make great quality gear in America.
ZPacks is rather well known for their ultralight gear, and DutchWare makes fantastic hammocks and hammock accessories.

As far as more mainstream/larger businesses, I dunno, most farm out their manufacturing to China anyway.
>>
Proudly made in America™*

*By Paco, Rosa and Lacquan.
>>
>>906664
La'Quan don't work.

You're silly.
>>
>>906654
Jacket, good, durable pair of jeans I'd also put into this category.

Proper leather boots, maybe?

I mean, not something I cannot fit in a large suitcase flying home, but that's it. Hand-in luggage, so sharp objects are a-ok.

>>906664
a)That is still preferable to how chinks operate. I've been.
b) There must be some companies that don't do this either, right?

I realize I'm looking for a sad unicorn, but one can hope.
>>
>>906551
Frost river is best gear
>>
>>906680
Mexicans are hard workers anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to buy stuff made in the US with a certain level of QC even if Paco did assemble it. Better than China.

Plus unlike a lot of places, many factory workers in the US seem to still have some sense of pride in their work despite it being shitty labor. The Mexicans are happy to have a real job and the rednecks have their unions and stuff which means they actually get paid and receive decent benefits for doing the work. Nigs don't do well in the factories because of this, they are incapable of having pride in their work or holding a job long enough to reap the rewards of union pay and benefits. But that is why it still costs more to manufacture stuff in the US compared to having it made in China and shipping it halfway across the world.

There's also the whole aspect of the designers and management actually having some control over the assembly process rather than contracting it to some mega factory in SE Asia where they have no clue what is going on.
>>
Just for fun I went to REI's website and searched for us made products. The list over 3300 items long.

Anyway, OP. Most MSR stoves are US made,CSO are their water filters and snowshoes. Black Diamond and Metolius climbing gear. Sawyer, platypus, thermarest, smith optics.

If I had to pick one thing I'd say get an MSR whisperlite international stove.
>>
>>906666
>dem quads
Checked and kekd

>>906680
Tbh I was just meming but it's still true. It doesn't really matter if you buy American or European made products if somehow their raw material is imported from Morocco, Turkey or Bangladesh and then manufactured by low skilled workers. And I'm not saying that's the case for everything, not at all. Also have in mind that chinese products is all about what you're willing to pay and if the brand who is outsourcing is the one in charge of quality control. Yeah most of chinese products are made in some shitty sweetshop by slave type workers but them chinks also have high end factories that put some western countries to shame.

That being said buy products made in your own country always if possible.
>>
>>906695
>>906714
>>906727

Thanks for the input, lads.

>Plus unlike a lot of places, many factory workers in the US seem to still have some sense of pride in their work despite it being shitty labor.
This notion really resonates with me, I must say.

MSR Whisperlite International looks brilliant, goes on the list. Didn't quite catch that - are their water filters also any good or not?

I'd buy outdoor gear in my own country - if they made any - but as is I try and strive for German made stuff. And, being old enough to have learned from mistakes, I now don't blink in paying several times more for non-Chinese stuff.

As you say, some of it is good, most isn't, and I've yet to have any good made in Sweden, Germany or the UK fail.
>>
>>906576
well yeah but if you look for L.L. Bean branded stuff you're mostly fine
>>
>>906773
Ah, understood. Cheers!

Any particular recommendations? There is a lot of stuff there, which sort of makes me lost.

Word of mouth goes a long way.
>>
>>906576
Yes they are at this point mostly just a webzone, however they make what I consider to be some of the best hunting boots made and at a very reasonable cost, and they are still produced in maine.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506697?page=footwear-llbean-boots
>>
>>906772
Their pump filters are pretty gud, but complicated and the replacement cartridges are expensive. A lot of anons (myself included) prefer the simpler sawyer mini filters because they're cheaper, lighter and can be back-flushed so they have a long operational life. They're also a made in USA product.
>>
>>906780
Thanks lad! These look great, go on the list & I'll keep an eye out. I don't think I'll be in the area where they have physical shops (plan is to do the South this time), but if I stick around someplace long enough, they should be able to deliver, right?

>>906687
Looks dope, if a bit hipster-y. Looks like I might finally get that leather bag I'll pass down to my grandkids.

Well, provided I live to have any. Hey, Putin.
>>
Osprey packs?

And throw in some TNF/Columbia gear while you're at it
>>
>>906846
Aren't Osprey packs made in Nam at this point? TNF as well?
>>
>>906846
>>906855
Osprey packs are indeed made in Nam, but they have tight QC over sight. The founder actually moved to Vietnam for a while to oversee things.

The only big technical packs I can think of made in USA are Mystery Ranch, McHale and certain Granite Gear milspec models.

There's lits of casual/daypacks made in the USA, though.

TNF's made in USA stuff is all casual hoodies and t-shirts, not technical gear or clothing.

AFAIK nothing Columbia is made in USA.
>>
>>906885
Good to know about Osprey, I'll keep an eye out should there be bargains about. However, I'm looking for US made this time around, and preferably stuff worth buying while in the States.

Can you perhaps name some of those day pack makes, provided they're not crap that will tear from an overload of cheap and delicious red wine? (A real incident that I once had happen to a cheap assault pack in Spain)
>>
>>906894
Topo designs makes some nice daypacks that all have that kind of colorful 70s-80s retro klettersack look. Filson, Frost River and Duluth make more of a classic America canvas/leather look.

Goruck makes some really solid tacticool bags and Mystery Ranch makes all kinds of daypacks. The trick with these companies, though, is that they have very little retail presence. They're mostly direct or online sales. so you'd have to have it shipped to a US address and pick it up.
>>
>>906914
Topo seems a bit too colourful for my tastes.

Filson seems nice, if on the expensive side. Then again, I am a sucker for expensive goods with lifetime warranty. I'd definitely like some of their items.

Duluth seems priced more to my pocket, though it seems some of it is not US made, but seems to be a fair number that is. Goes on the list.

On second glance Frost River seems like even more of a hipster/clever marketing brand. And I should know, I'm in marketing.

Goruck seems weird - for all the MOLLE ladden tacticool designs, the colour scheme is quite weird. Plus, to brag about rucksacks, yet only offer tiny assault packs? Illogical. They do have a cheap 2xWXP 3L hydration package, though. But overall seems like expensive mallninja stuff - being active duty a lot of the stuff in there makes zero sense from any perspective.

Mystery Ranch stuff, from all ranges, makes much more sense. I'll keep an eye out for that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions anyhow, lad!
>>
>>906921
No problem, happy shopping.
>>
>>906551
not american made but arcteryx is quality canadian made shit that probably goes for a lot of money in europe.
>>
File: estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png (105KB, 404x570px) Image search: [Google]
estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png
105KB, 404x570px
For axes and other striking tools you gotta go with Estwing and Vaughan.
>>
>>906922
I hope I will - still some ways in the future (fly out to FL in March), but figured it is best to start salivating early, eh?

Upon closer inspection, none of the Mystery Mountain military gear is in Olive Drab.

Dammit, America, the next war will not be in the desert, we've been over this. It will be here, where I live.
>>
>>906924
I accidentally came upon an Arcteryx outlet in Munich, actually, but everything good was gone. Is it likely to find okay priced stuff in the States, more than in one place?

>>906927
Ah, here's something I meant to ask - are they any good, functionally? Because Estwing has been giving me a semi ever since I first saw the silhouette.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>906930
>are they any good, functionally?
they're great anon. they're really great tools. Estwing is an American treasure since the 1920s and Vaughan has been a leader in striking tools since the 1860s. They make some of the most off-the-hook hammers and prybars and shit.
>>
>>906930
I've got an estwing 3ft camp axe that I got at home depot for like $35 and fucking love it. It got a full seasons use I while I was living in a river camp in Alaska. It's not a heavy felling axe, but it's great for processing deadfall, kindling and clearing small trees and brush.
>>
>>906933
So, would an Estwing Sport hatchet and a Vaughan hammer be a good haul to leave the US with? They do look like some dope hammers.

Honestly, the thing is, I inherited only a couple of good tools from my gramps, most was Soviet crap - because that's the best he could get. I'd very much like to pass something actually worth something down to my kids.
>>
>>906939
>Estwing Sport hatchet and a Vaughan hammer
You couldn't do any better anon. They're proper solid tools and they have the caché of being time-honored Murrican-forged hand tools.
>>
>>906885
>The only big technical packs I can think of made in USA are Mystery Ranch, McHale and certain Granite Gear milspec models.
ULA is all made in USA AFAIK
>>
>>906930
>Because Estwing has been giving me a semi ever since I first saw the silhouette.
I don't have one of their hatchets, but I do have a long handled rock hammer (am geologist) been beating the shit out of shit with that beast for years and it still smashes shit like a champ.
>>
>>906957
Their website is delightfully outdated. I hope the spent that time making bags. Kidding aside, these look lovely.

>>906960
Sounds great. I'll check my weight limit coming back to Europe, maybe I can sneak several heavy smashy tools....
>>
Any good makes of jeans or leather boots not listed here?
>>
>>907475
American Eagle ;)
>>
Buck aint too good any more watchout what you buy from them
>>
LL Bean boots
>>
>>906666
nice get
>>
>>907674
>>906553

Right, it appears they are out of non-manlet sizes, and there is usually a huge backlog of orders.

Any chance they'll have restocked in April/May?
>>
>>906776
They are famous for their rubber winter shoes.
>>
>>908882
They became fashionable last year. But theyve been hiring at their factory recently so who knows.
>>
>>906664

Assembled in America using American and imported parts.

Assembled by Juan, Jose, and Carlos.

Delivered to the shop by Mamud.

Stocked by Travis.

Sold by Brittany.

Money goes to CEO Dan.

Who pays interest to Chaim.

Who offshores the company in a couple years to Rajeet or Tsao.
>>
>>906551
Melanzana. They're a tiny mom and pop shop based out of Leadville, Colorado that make top tier outdoor clothing. I have their microgrid fleece, and it has become my favorite piece of clothing.
>>
>>909049
i like how a bunch of eggplants show-up when you google it
>>
>>909049
This looks just lovely.

I would love to stop by. I was originally just planning a more or less straight trudge from Florida to Arizona, but perhaps a little detour is indeed warranted.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.