[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Waterproof items(water proof my ass)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

why is it so hard to find water proof light boots and light gloves?

where I live the winters don't get blow freezing, often. So I just want some light boots and gloves for those day between 40 and 70 degrees and wet.

yet the merrell moab waterproof boots, aren't. the $60 gloves I just got at REI, that claimed waterproof, aren't. They can't even keep my feet and hands dry in a light rain.
>>
>>906352
why the fuck did you think merrell moabs would be waterproof?
its goretex you dumb ass
if you want them more waterproof get a spray treatment.
or if you really want waterproof bootsies get some rubber boots
>>
>>906352
got a "waterproof drybag" manufactured by sea to summit, sold by REI, friend's phone was ruined. Pretty pathetic, had bought a bag a few years earlier and worked just fine.
>>
>>906352
Goretex is NOT waterproof. It's great if you're just hiking in the rain or whatever, but anything more and it can get wet. Once Goretex gets wet, have fun drying it cause that shit sucks dick.
>>
>>906352
There's a difference between waterproof and water resistant. To call it proof it has to meet mediocre standards
>>
>>906352
>waterproof
DuPont Neverwet.
>>
>>906352
Are you sure it's water from outside, or is it just sweat? Goretex will not be as breathable as other fabric. It will also not last forever and not work if moisture is remaining on the surface (yes, I don't like it). Rubber boots are actually waterproof, but they breathe not at all... I think you see the problem.
>>
I don't understand the hate towards goretex. Goretex is plastic with soft fabric on either side. The outer layer will have a dwr coating, but this just causes water to bead, allowing the fabric to breathe better. Once that wears off the outer layer of fabric will get wet and sweat will be trapped inside the garment. Goretex is waterproof. Period. If gear you bought failed it's for other reasons like shoddy crafting or letting water in at a cuff.
>>
>>906541
Goretex does cool stuff, as long as it's clean and has a fresh dwr and it's not too old and it's not too warm outside... see where I'm getting at? Btw the clean part really doesn't work well with boots.
>>
>>906541
it's a microporous plastic
>tiny holes
the principle behind it is that cold water molecules have better cohesion
>cold water sticks together better
warmer water molecules have better dispersion/are easier to vaporize
>hot water goes through shit better
The microporous surface gore-tex attempts to take advantage of this principle
>hot sweat on inside goes through holes, cold water on outside doesn't

everything else is bells and whistles, some are lined with different things (fabrics/treatments,DWR whatever) the point is you can't make a goddamn canoe out of the shit but it's a hell of a lot better than hiking in a full rubber raincoat.
>>
File: 1478716282835.png (189KB, 394x373px) Image search: [Google]
1478716282835.png
189KB, 394x373px
nothing is truly water "proof"

the best you will get is varying degrees of resistance
>>
Hey OP, its because youre retarded!
>buying merrels
>shopping at rei
Theres your problem you stupid faggot, buy some timberland pro mudslingers and leather gloves and stop being a whiny little know nothing bitch boy for no reason
>>
>>906658
You are fucking wrong, as if we all didnt already know from your shitty weeb neckbeard "mommy bring me the shit bucket i cant stop watching cancolle" pic related
>>
>>906578
>Insert any waterproof material here
>>
>>906352
water proof socks are clamy. water proof boots are abundant. my go to waterproofish gloves were 10 dollars at walmart.

you are just retarded.
>>
>>906671
what the fuck is a cancolle lol
>>
>>906385
>if you want them more waterproof get leather boots
FTFY

though waterproof also means once water leaks in it can't get out. Sometimes it's better to concentrate on stuff that stays warm when it's wet.

>>906389
Roll top bags aren't immersion proof, I found that out the hard way too. Electronics should go in a pelican case.

>>906412
Goretex is waterproof, but it only breathes a certain rate, so anything more than a casual walking pace you get condensation inside. It can't breathe when the outer fabric is soaked either.

>>906671
Actually he's right, unless you go out in a drysuit (in which case you'll still get wet from sweat). Even if the material is waterproof water can and eventually will get in at seams and edges.
>>
>>906686
Any merely impregnated material will always be breathable (and a lot better at that). Non-breathable waterproofs will let no water through until they rip, period. Goretex tries to do both yet frequently does neither.
As for boots; the problem is impregnation won't work well on something that gets dirty, membranes don't work well when they get dirty etc. It's even worse with membrane lined leather boots; they would only come in play when the leather is already soaked.
Goretex is a nice thing to have, for well-maintained jackets. It doesn't allow you to use your "breathable" boots like rubber boots.
>>
>>906719

I try to get waterproof shoes for everything, even business travel. I've never had a pair that performed as advertised, even when brand new. BUT. It's much better than nothing.

When travelling for business, if my foot goes into a puddle, my socks end up damp or wet, not soaked. If I'm stuck in heavy rain, ditto. Nothing gets so wet that a full night's airing in a hotel room doesn't leave them toasty dry.

When /out/ the same principle applies. Except that your shit won't dry on a rainy day, it will just stay damp all the time, at least until the weather clears up. Hence the need for clothes that insulate even when wet.

tl;dr waterproof sucks if you hold it to the standards of its own advertising, but is very useful if you don't expect too much from it.
>>
I don't get all this hate for goretex saying it's not waterproof, I've literally walked through streams and puddles that go up to my ankle in my goretex boots and never once got my feet wet, sure, if it's hot and you're sweating, they'll get sweaty and stay that way, but they'll never let any water in.
>>
>>906352
You're probably just gross and sweaty, OP.

The garments are doing their job, but you're just so disgusting that there's more wetness on the inside.
>>
>>906715
>armchair general: the post
>>
File: water_proof_lightweight_cheap.jpg (2MB, 2716x1810px) Image search: [Google]
water_proof_lightweight_cheap.jpg
2MB, 2716x1810px
>>906352
Here you go faggot. 2 mins google
>>
>>907294
people are.idiots. I have neoprene fishisng gloves. and dunking them in cold water makes them wet inside and get cold.

the water isnt leaking in, but it sure feels wet and cold.

people are stupid. especially on /out/

you are the shtf infogtaphic thread? that is laughable. there is a infographic describing the wrong way to give cpr from 6 years ago.
>>
>>907297
>sweat is disgusting
Have you ever left your air-conditioned home?
>>
>>906352

It's simple. If the marketing says:

"Waterproof BUT breathable", then it isn't 100% waterproof

"Water resistant", then don't bother, even a drizzle will leave you wet

"Waterproof but not breathable", it is waterproof.
>>
>>907309
not warm, you get damp from the inside, not durable.
>>
>>907526
>"Waterproof but not breathable", it is waterproof.
True, but you still end up soaked in sweat. There's no magic bullet.
>>
>>907615
This is just not true. Just because your fat ass drenches the inside of your boots walking to and from the fridge does not mean that the rest of us share your problems.

t. been wearing waterproof (yes, water PROOF) boots for 9 years, first pair lasted 6 and im 3 years into the second.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.