[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailing on Rivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: sailing.jpg (103KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
sailing.jpg
103KB, 720x480px
Anyone here have experience long distance sailing on rivers.
How far did you go?
How easy was it versus open water
>>
>>905913
Titties
>>
>>905913

nice boobs
>>
File: IMG_0371.jpg (63KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0371.jpg
63KB, 600x800px
>>905914
>>905917
+1
>>
>>905913
I've been up and down the Columbia river, including through cascade locks. Sailing on rivers is sometimes a pain in the ass because you're always tacking and have to monitor charts carefully in narrow sections so that you'll always be in the shipping channel or whatever so you don't run aground.

Versus open water, it's much more engaging. On blue water, you sometimes just set your sails and keep your heading for hours. Obviously much less to explore on a river....

>>>/trv/
>>
>>905913
>mfw tacking in a 200 m wide river
>>
Thinking Mississippi on a 18'
Good idea?
>>
>>905913
no that seems dangerous AF.
>>
>>905913
I don't sail much but i do have a friend who's got a boat and i've joined him about 10 times in the past three years. His boat is docked somewhere in the Scheldt estuary in the netherlands. It's very wide at most spots but sometimes the deep passage can be very narrow, 100 meters or even less. The thing is its an estuary so there is tides, which means the current can be very strong and can go both upstream as downstream. You really have to take in account from which direction the wind is going and when the tides are switching so you can think in advance which route you take and around which sand banks you turn. We've had times when we had to put down the sails and switch to the motor cause we had the wind and current against and had to tack every 30 seconds without making any progress (because of bad planning). The good thing is its all sand and mud so if you hit the bottom its not a big deal, when you get stuck its not a big deal if the tide is rising but otherwise you have to be very quick to motor yourself out or jump off the boat and try to tow yourself out with ropes from the shore or another boat if its possible. worst case you have to wait 6 hours and maybe sleep on the boat, but we haven't had that problem. It's fun though just think ahead and keep focused. If you got the current and wind right its very smooth, fast and relaxing.
>>
>>906106
oh we navigate with maps or gps and the boat has a depth meter too. Also there is plenty of bouys or sticks which indicate where it isn't deep enough. But sometimes there hasn't been dredged in a while and its not very accurate. In some areas we go beyond the buoys a bit cause we don't wanna tack every 30 seconds. Also cause its dredged the slope can be very steep so you have to watch that depth meter constantly if you go beyond the buoys.
>>
http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/

This guy has been exploring every little estuary and river and whatnot around England for the past decade in tiny sailboats.

It´s fucking fantastic.
>>
File: IMG_1171.jpg (778KB, 3200x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1171.jpg
778KB, 3200x1680px
>>906292
>posts a NASCAR blog in a sailing thread
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.