[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frozen water kills the man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_6691.jpg (348KB, 902x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6691.jpg
348KB, 902x598px
How do you stop your water bottle from freezing while winter camping?
>>
>>902745
You put it in your sleeping bag overnight.

During the day you keep it in your jacket or in a bottle jacket like this:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-717/Water-Bottle-Parka
>>
>>902747
I've tried the sleeping bag trick and it works until your water freezes again the next day.

I'm trying to solve this problem without being A gearfag. Anyone else have some suggestions?
>>
>>902752
>Anyone else have some suggestions?
i do all my winter camping in mexico
>>
>>902752
If a bottle jacket is something that is actually useful and needed in your situation then it's not realy gear fagging.
>>
>>902752
put loads of salt in ur water so then it wont freeze!!
>>
>>902745
I only drink vodka while camping in vinter.
>>
how about keeping your water filters from freezing
>>
Piss in it.
>>
Easy OP you light a fire in it
>>
Not to be a shill, but you can store it with a hand warmer like zippo makes. The disposable warmers are not so great cause they peter off after a while before dying but the zippo ones will provide consistent warmth for a while. You can also get a large thermos to store your water in, but they can be pretty clunky.
>>
>>902767
>>902775
>>902782
All these are valid options but in case you don't have salt and/or piss nearby and you're too much of a normie to light a fire in ice you could always store the water in a metallic container, light a fire and throw said container in it.
>>
>>902752
>I'm trying to solve this problem without being A gearfag.
you don't need special gear, just physically put your water bottle inside your jacket, it's an old and common cold weather survival trick

you can use some cordage and hang it from your neck, but really it's just about keeping it close to your body, there's several ways to accomplish that depending on how big your container is, and what you're wearing etc.
>>
If there's snow out, bury your water in it.
>>
>>902773
the same, keep in your pocket so it gets your body heat.
>>
File: full-water-bag[1].jpg (43KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
full-water-bag[1].jpg
43KB, 400x300px
Instead of water bottles, use water bags. Then after your water bag has frozen overnight you can beat it upon some rocks until it turns from solid ice into a drinkable slush.
>>
>>902787
>you can use some cordage and hang it from your neck
This. I've got some long association socks that I was given many years ago. I cut it up the middle, leaving a bit at the top and a bit at the bottom. My 750ml canteen fits nicely and taking out to refill it isn't a problem. If you're walking somewhere with snow, you can refill it with snow as you drink as long as you don't overdo it.
>>
>>902866
>long association socks
*Long ass socks
Autocorrect strikes again.
>>
>>902759
Kek

I find doing my winter camping in the summer helps prevent freezing
>>
>>902770
>vinter

Absolutely autistic. You thought you were being clever, didn't you?
>>
Op here. Thanks for the responses. As I suspected body heat seems to be the best solution. I'm going to rig up some kind of under coat camelpak holder.
>>
What the other guy said. Just use platy bags and camelbacks. Why? Because they can be hung around your neck inside your jacket and are flexible compared to a bottle.
>>
I just use a shot of vodka... I can't really taste it watered down, and my bottle never freezes. Ices a bit, but never freezes
>>
>>902854
>how to get hypothermia
>>
>>903097
No don't use camelbaks, if it's really cold the tube will freeze.

Best is a plain plastic or metal bottle, kept next to the body, and on the off chance it freezes you can thaw it beside the fire

>mfw when the simplest problems require dedicated threads
>>
get something insulated, duh. Vacuum bottles won't freeze, plus you can then switch the water for some cocoa that will stay warm for days
>>
>>903382
>when the simplest problems require dedicated threads
I know, it's pretty autistic some times. We could probably have a thread about how to tie your shoes and it would stay in the catalog for 2 months.
I still remember how some autists didn't understand how to squat when taking a dump in the woods. Like goddamn nigga, I gotta potty train you?
>>
>>902787
also a good reason for a neck knife assuming your blade is a hardened high carbon steel. freezing weather can turn your knife into glass
>>
>>902745
keeping your bottle inside your jacket or a thermal sock or two is the best and obvious answer — another tip is to store your bottle upside down. Water freezes from the top down, so this can buy you some time before the whole bottle freezes solid.
>>
>>902745
I was on a serous winter- course last winter in Norway. Everyone carried a 1ltr. termoflask and a 1ltr. nalgene with some isolation. You would boil water in the mornings and before packing up make sure that everyone's flasks where full with near boiling water. That way we would drink from the nalgene first and then from the termo (since that would keep warm all day).

The way that I insulated my nalgene was with alu-foil, some tape, an old thick hiking sock, a plastic bag and a rubber band. I carefully put a smooth layer of foil aroung the bottle to reflect the heat and taped that up. Next I put the bottle down the end of the sock with the opening towards the opening of the sock. I folded the sock "back" around the sides of the bottle so it now was in 2 layers, covering the whole bottle exept the top. Lastly I put it in a tight plastic bag to protect it from getting wet. The plastic bag was secured with a rubber band around the neck of the nalgene bottle, just before the rim
>>
>>903427
nice tips,

as for your diy insulation, sounds a lot like I insulated my cook pots - I used sticky baked foil on an offcut of a CCF sleeping pad, with a little duct tape 'loop and toggle' to keep it fastened. Worked surprisingly well.
>>
1. Boil water
2. Pour boiling water in bottle
3. Put bottle in a thick woolen sock
4. Put bottle in sleeping bag

Heated sleeping bag and liquid water in the morning
>>
>>902899

Lol, the poor guy was probably just having a bit of fun. Your incensed response has all the hallmarks of autism though.
>>
File: PHOTOLACING-TECHNIQUES_DICKS.jpg (775KB, 3288x5100px) Image search: [Google]
PHOTOLACING-TECHNIQUES_DICKS.jpg
775KB, 3288x5100px
>>903410
Shoe tying is a art
>>
I have a Camelbak bladder that I normally take in my backpack. Should I leave that behind and bring extra water bottles instead? I'm hiking RMNP in January
>>
>>902745
So... how exactly did some ice murder someone?
>>
A little off topic but does anyone know if you can boil water in a contigo autospout? The one with the slightly curved body. I read online that you shouldn't boil water in a vacuum insulated bottle. But some websites say the water bottle is vacuum insulated and other sites say it isn't.
>>
>>904488
Kinda hard to drink a block of ice sealed in plastic, anon
>>
>>902752
>I've tried the sleeping bag trick and it works until your water freezes again the next day.
>I'm trying to solve this problem without being A gearfag. Anyone else have some suggestions?

I was told to store your bottle upside down, (water freezes from the top to bottom). And if it is really that cold, you just drink the water before it freezes.
>>
>>904494
If it's doubled walled and it's a safe bet it's vacuumed.

Wouldn't heat it unless you want it to explode (or at least rupture)
>>
>>902745
You mix it with booze
>>
File: S64OZ.jpg (55KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
S64OZ.jpg
55KB, 900x900px
Use an all stainless steel bottle that you can throw over a fire if it freezes
>>
When I bought my Klean Kanteen there was a note saying that the bottle shouldnt have contact with fire. I assume this is just lawyer talk - as its stainless steel, it wont show other effects than getting hot and maybe a bit out of shape, right?
>>
Keep the water bottle inside your jacket/sleeping bag. T. Finland
>>
>>905022
it's probably an insulated model. check it
>>
>>905036
It's not insulated.
>>
>>905039
burn it
>>
the military does make (or at least did) vacuum insulated cold-weather canteens. i've seen it on countycomm a while ago
>>
>>902747
I was really disappointed it wasn't a little parka jacket for water bottles, like with sleeves and a hood and maybe faux fur lining.
>>
>>905039
Can I put my Klean Kanteen on a stove?
In a pinch, single-walled Classic and Wide bottles (with the Brushed Stainless finish) can be placed on a fire or a stove as long as you take the cap off. Do not do this with a painted bottle, as it will damage the paint.
But it's VERY important that you know what kind of bottle you have because this is absolutely NOT an option with any Insulated Kanteen. Heating an Insulated Kanteen will damage the bottle and voids the warranty. Insulated bottles have a separate, extra shiny "cap" piece on the bottom and also have the word "insulated" below the logo.
>>
>>902745
bring a not shitty water bottle that will leech BPA into your bloodstream, cuck

then add some fucking salt to your water
>>
>>902784
got an old jon-e brand hand warmer at a flea market a few years ago. can recommend.
>>
>>902745
put the bottle up your ass
>>
>>904947
Or ANY single walled bottle placed BESIDE the fire
>>
>>905250
Sounds like anon has had some bad experiences
>>
File: klean-kanteen.jpg (21KB, 613x674px) Image search: [Google]
klean-kanteen.jpg
21KB, 613x674px
>>902745
>he uses plastic
Enjoy your estrogen faggot
>>
>>902745
throw that shit in your boot with a hand-warmer overnight. Liquid beverage in the morning and your boots wont be frozen
>>
>>905259
>he uses aluminium
enjoy your Parkinsons, you sack of sick
>>
>>902759
What parts of mexico? Dont tell me baja, please
>>
>>905165
That's the BPA free bottle you supertard.
>>
File: 55616624.jpg (134KB, 473x276px) Image search: [Google]
55616624.jpg
134KB, 473x276px
>>902745
>>
>>905845
cool picture where u get
>>
>>905864
The internet. You can use it if you want lol.
>>
>>902785
Yeah and how about when you're disabled?
>>
>>903397
>that will stay warm for days
I carried a Thermos brand thermos with me deer hunting for years and switched to a Coleman after that one started leaking at the cap. At the end of the day, my cocoa cools down to a pleasant drinking temperature, but another day in the woods and it would be cold. Both of those thermoses claim 24 hour warmth. It may stay warm for that long if you never leave the house, but sitting in a backpack all day, you have about that day of hot drink.
>>
>>905154
I know your pain.
>>
>>905822
They're stainless faggot.
>>
>>905822
No link between it or Alzheimer's.

That said, that water bottle is steel.
>>
>>906097
When you're disabled you have more pressing needs than water. This is why you should have a contingency plan in place (e.g., PLB / someone who knows where you are and is expecting an "I'm okay" call or SMS and will take appropriate action in the absence thereof).
>>
>>906482
My kids accused me of having Alzheimers yesterday.
Pair of smart asses. They're going to look pretty silly come Christmas and there's no eggs under the bonfire.
>>
If it doesn't get Siberian tier cold, the soil should only be frozen a few cm tops, below it'll be warmer in winter than the air (and cooler in summer, it buffers)
So for overnight storage I'd dig a hole maybe 20cm deep, place it there, fill it back up and put some leaves heap on top
>>
>>906563
Why not just put the damn thing in your sleeping bag with you like a sane person?
>>
>>906512
Lol, you showed them.

Underrated post
>>
>>902745
>Ctrl + F
>s-l-e-e-p-i
>8 results found

goood. gooood.
>>
>>905259
im not an asshole like this guy-- but i do have the wide mouth insulated Klean Kanteen and its a 10/10 bottle cannot recommend enough.
>>
>>902745
you drink it all
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.