[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else have an intense fear of being alone in the woods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_2547.gif (1MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2547.gif
1MB, 260x195px
Does anyone else have an intense fear of being alone in the woods at night? I hunt whitetail deer in georgia, but even with my gun i feel panic the moment i cant tell the difference between animals and shadows at 200 yards. I cant stabd it, ive started to stop hinting half an hour before sunset because of it. Please tell me im not the only one. Pic unrelated
>>
Do NOT go into the woods at night!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>900984
>>
File: IMG_8619.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8619.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>900986
I don't like fishing in the dark either. Hard to see your line and lures and shit.

And then sometimes I will be walking along the bank and some fuckhueg bird takes off from the tall grass like 2 feet away from me. Or the one time a big ass bird comes flying from across the lake in the pitch dark and lands 10' away from me.

Also gators.
>>
>>900990
Fucking shit, didnt even notice your thread
>>
Does any have a clue on what i can do to feel more safe? Fire doesnt work, music doesnt work, bright lights dont work, singing dont work, no amount of guns works, knives dont work. What could possibly make me feel safer other than a companion?
>>
File: IMG_0825.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0825.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>900999
Get a big ass tactical knoife doge. Once they get used to the woods, they are less spooked by normal shit.
>>
>>900995
You were probably typing when I hit send.
>>
>>901004
Im scared of pupper becoming coyote supper, seriously we dont ever see them, but i heard about 40 howling last night
>>
>>901004
is that fucking pepsi again
>>
>>900986
Maybe years back when I was 10 or so but now days they only thing I'm worried about are spider webs.
>>
File: IMG_0725.jpg (977KB, 1935x1290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0725.jpg
977KB, 1935x1290px
>>901024
>jelly of knoife doge
I'm gonna post that pic more than the snek pics.
>>
>>901037
your damn dog is growing on me
i kinda want to pet
will he eat me?
>>
File: IMG_0527.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0527.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>901043
Nah that doge loves people. Like you could be walking her down the street and you will pass somebody else walking their doge and the knoife doge goes up to the person wanting attention and ignores the other dog.

Little doge is a shit until you get to know him for 5min tho.
>>
>>900990

Ignore this one. OP in that thread is a lil bitch.
>>
>>900986
I wouldn't worry about it...
>>
>>901045
how old is mr. pepsi?
>>
>>900986
You're not comfortable yet. It takes time and knowing what sounds belong to what mystery. The only time I woke up and decided to sleep in the truck was when I woke up to a rabbit being killed right by camp and could tell a cougar was trying to be sneaky around camp. Not my first time around bears or cats but I just wanted some sleep. The same campsite (I do dispersed) always has bear. I woke up to him getting a drink from the pond but just felt where my gun was and went back to sleep. I can't remember how many deer or elk passed by my camp.

You just train your mind op. I have seen some weird shit but you're out there to have fun and get away from the world. Not to be scared. And unless you live in brown bear territory or have a cougar around, there really isn't much that's going to mess with you. As long as you keep do your part not to attract critters wanting to sniff you at night, you really won't have trouble. Plus it's up to you to be vigilant but don't worry so much. I sleep by the fire on a cot and sleeping bag if the weather's nice. No tent.
>>
>>901296
i never do. worry is for 100 pound little girls and faggets.
>>
>>901341
that saying the first few times i was out there alone i did had this feeling like anything could be out there. anything from folklore or myths. so it's an eerie feeling sure. then you get used to it.
>>
It grows on you.

I creep through the bush at night looking for deer and horses (next door to a NP that has feral populations of both). I've gotten used to the sounds of possums and frogmouths, and went from being scared of fox howls to getting a touch of murderous glee every time I can hear one. I haven't heard dogs in a while, between harassing them and hooning around the paddocks where they used to hang out.

That being said, I dropped a fucking stack when I heard a boar in a thicket about 20m from me. Not the sort of thing I want to meet at night with only a .243 handy. Fighting possums sometimes give me a spoop, too.

tl;dr Acquaint yourself with the local wildlife and become familiar with their calls. Or get a dog.
Or a hunting buddy. Carry a big ass shiv and get a mentality in your head that you'll shank to death anything that tries to ambush you, unless it's a pissed off boar or something.
>>
The only times I've been scared in the woods is when I've been solo, camped next to a tree with bear claw marks running 15 up it, and the bear just happens to show up.

Also anytime I've been caught in a storm, in forests with beetle kill it's fucking terrifying
>>
>>901979
to me it was never the sounds i could hear.
but imagining something i can't even hear lurking around.
it was not actually scary i was just way more alert than i should have been. and the fact that campfire makes you fucking blind doesn't help one bit.
>>
>>901979
Op here returning after a day, shank recommendations?
>>
>>902044
Mora
>>
>>902049
Thy seem cheap as fuk, im guessing you have experience?
>>
>>902055
The only down sides are the carbon steel has to be taken care of properly and they are not tacticool (not realy a downside to me).

My mora + bone saw + fillet knife (for silver skin) is the only things I use for game processing.

They take an edge well and hold it well. They are a good thickness and the partial tang has never failed. They don't slip in your hand when wet or bloody. They are under $30 and can compete with any other knife till you hit $100.

They just fucking work period.
>>
>>902075
Sounds good, but how good are they if you have to rip and tear a big dicked coyote?
>>
>>902079
That's what guns are for.

If you have to be in this sort of situation then they are as good as any other knife.
>>
>>902088
Sounds great, another addition to the list, thanks
>>
>>900986
OP... I don't know how to say this... You're a gigantic fucking pussy.
>>
>>902090
My load out for when I'm inawoods is Carhartt overalls tucked into my snake boots, moister wicking shirt and bandana. I carry a mora and a sigma .40 cal with an extra mag. 300 luman head lamp and a 1000+ luman bushnell blood traker light (doubles as a club). Then basic things like multi tool, bic lighter, wallet, smokes, and dip. Where ever I go my 110 lb black lab Rottweiler mix is with me. If I'm hunting then a rifle (marlin 30-30 or ar15) if I'm fishing then I have my gear bag, poles and bait bucket. If im overnight a tarp does it for me. If I'm camping it's usually with my Jeep so I have all the above and pelican cooler, small flex bow canvas tent, food and water.

Keep it simple use what works.
>>
File: 1459623357388.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1459623357388.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
>>900986
>>
>>902108
Frank Herbert makes Robert Jordan look like a Sunday comic writer when it comes to pretentious long winded writing.
>>
>>902088
fucking murricans...
do you know what we carry for self defense innawoods? shovels.
>>
>>902124
Some of us having worse things in the woods than piles of refugee shit.
>>
>>902145
Rekt
>>
>>902145
The only truly dangerous animal in most of the lower 48 is other Americans.
>>
File: IMG_1070.gif (65KB, 780x837px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1070.gif
65KB, 780x837px
>>902173
Which are more dangerous than wolves or brown bears.

Also black bears turn up in some realy crazy and unexpected places these days so I wouldn't be suprised to see a grizzly somewhere 100mi+ outside of their established range.
>>
>>902178
Feral hogs, coyotes, mountain lions, snakes, and tweakers is my main worry.
>>
>>902145
shovel is good for whatever happens on you. and if you accidentally something you are not supposed to kill shovel is the solution again. it's fucking magic.
>>
>>900986
Probably the fear of possibly shooting someone else because they've been mistaken for game.
>>
I'm more comfortable on a bed roll at night in the middle of then in my shitty apartment with locked doors and bars on the windows in Philly.
>>
>>902178
Grizzlies have been spotted in Colorado apparently.

>polar bears that close to Michigan
panic.jpg
>>
File: Capture2.png (790KB, 554x700px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
790KB, 554x700px
Found a black bear in my backyard the other day
>>
>>906157
that's a cute cat do you plan on keeping it?
>>
>>901019
Likely you were deceived by the Beau Geste effect. 40 coyotes would be an insane number to be within earshot.
>>
>>906165
No it's gone.
>>
>>902145
Like illegal immigrant shit.
>>
You just need to spend more time doing it.

Go get drunk in the woods by yourself.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.