[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Axe thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 76

File: 20160109_141829.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160109_141829.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Did someone say axe thread? Post your axes or axes you would like to own (pic related, muh baby)
>>
>>900745
I like Husqvanas too. Have a splitting axe and a maul.

Their smaller axes are a little thick through the bit for me, I prefer the thinner stuff like GB does.

You need to fashion a collar for that thing you are beating up the handle.
>>
Has anybody bought a Prandi axe? They seem like a good way to get Gransfors meme quality at a third of the price.
>>
I have a shitty axe I got on amazon for like 20 bucks a few years back but soon I'm going to be moving and I'm going to need a more reliable axe to chop firewood can anyone recommend a good axe that will stand up to repeated use?
>>
>>900845
Prandi aren't GB quality but they are good axes. Really GB's advantage is they have thin bits and are thin around the eye but still durable because they use a good steel and heat treat.

The tier below GB includes Hults Bruk and Hultafors and probably Prandi and Husqvarna and some other euro made axes. They are very good and use good steel and heat treat, but they are typically thicker at the same head weight.

Places like Council and Kelly are just below those.

Up with GB are axes like Neeman and Autine and a few vintage makes such as Norlund and Sager and Collins. Axe quality globally went to shit in the 70s apart from a tiny handful of makes. It has recently come back in a lot of places.
>>
>>901069
Citation needed
>>
>>901080
Here you go friend:
>>901069
>>
Anyone have experience with wetterlings?
>>
>>901127
I have their Hunter's hatchet, pretty decent albeit the bit is very thick so it makes it heavy and i think the bit is a bit long for me
>>
>>900836
>You need to fashion a collar for that thing you are beating up the handle.
Meh, that happened a while ago when i first got it 2 years ago and i got some slight damage on it from lending it to a friend to split a piece of wood
>>
File: DSCF0829.jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0829.jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
>>
File: IMG_20161127_113208.jpg (400KB, 1435x1401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161127_113208.jpg
400KB, 1435x1401px
Currently unfinished
>>
>>901324
That red Jersey pattern at the back left and the Plumb champion double bit in the front look amazing
>>
>>901212
Is that the Hults Bruk Salen 20-inch axe?
>>
>>901325
The red jersey has the biggest cutting edge of any axe I have, even longer than my Hults Bruks 5 star. Unfortunately it's a no name with bad steel and a cracked eye. The plumb would be nice but the embossing is barely readable and it's been sharpened so much it's very thick at the bit. It would need a crazy banana grind to work again.
>>
>>901324
H-hey you got any hewing axes? (right handed)
>>
>>901069
>The tier below GB includes Hults Bruk and Hultafors

Hults Bruks belongs to Hultafors btw. The Hultafors axes have a HB stamp on their heads if you didn't notice.

-Both c56 steel (even the budget HB Agdor line uses it)
-Both using the same machines
-Hults Bruks is the oldest company using this technique
-Price lower on HB (agdor 800gr. 27€, Classic hunter's axe 850gr. 58€)
-Quality of HB's axe masks is the best compared to the masks of other producers

TL;DR
HB produces axes with the same functionality and robustness as GB axes, while having a better sheath. Still, HB axes only cost half as much as GB axes.

Why is that? GB became an absolute meme. 3 years ago, GB axes costed exactly the same as HB axes but then the youtube bushcraft community, in addition to the Ray Mears fan club gained momentum and prices for this backpack jewelry skyrocketet.

In my opinion, GB axes are the Iphone of the axe world.

GB Axe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNYqJ3tyDY
HB Axe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN78x1wGX4U
>>
>>901418
Hults-Bruk is the smithy that forges axes. Hultafors is the company that owns HB.
>>
>>901324
is that a turpentine i see in the back right?
>>
>>901406
No I don't do a lot of hewing so I've never picked one up. I saw a NOS Beattey a few years ago for $60 but I didn't have the money and have been kicking myself since.
>>
>>901446
That one's always been a bit of a mystery. It's the same shape as a turpentine, but it's only 3 pounds. Most turpentines were 6+ pounds, but I know it's definitely not a morticing axe.
>>
>>901465
Maybe it's a turpentine designed for a smaller 20" or boys ax handle.
>>
File: Marbles.jpg (28KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Marbles.jpg
28KB, 750x750px
Anybody ever use this bad boi? Dunno what to think of it. Hand forged head, american hickory handle, comes reasonably sharp out of the box, and it holds its edge through at least moderate use.

https://www.smkw.com/marbles-camp-axe-15-7-8-overall-with-american-hickory-handle-and-hand-forged-1045-carbon-head-model-ma701sb
>>
>>901464
I live in Florida atm. Won't be able to move for the next 2 years. We have no good old tools. And I've been looking for a hewing axe forever for carving...

And ebay is a fucking rip off.
>>
>>901487
Pretty sure wranglerstar did a video on it, he thout it was the best axe under $X
>>
>>901324
These don't look finished, bro.
>>
H&B Forge ship builders axe

taken it Inna for a few camping trips and couldnt be happier

here is link for those interested...

http://www.hbforge.com/specialty-axes/ship-builders-axe
>>
>>901324
Top left is the type of axe we have in Serbia. Pretty much every vintage axe is of the bearded type here. What do you think of that design? I'm not a great fan, they are very thick but they're good for splitting.

I'm a fan of Italian axes and billhooks. They're great quality and totally different from the swedish axes.
>>
>>901993
I have a Serbian axe, i just call it plankača cos that's what my Serbian dad calls it, i personally am not a fan of it
>>
>>902016
never heard that term. Is it supposed to be a carpenter's axe?

They are not really bad axes you just have to get used to them. Most old axes are bad because they have been ground and left very thick and they need klepanje. A good klepana sekira cuts easy
>>
Plan on felling/bucking some trees this winter to chop into firewood.

Have a question.

After bucking the tree into splitable portions the ends of the log will be slanted and wouldn't rest standing up to split. What am I missing here?
>>
>>902078
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rO5yczA5s
This might help.
>>
File: 1457855349361.gif (1MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
1457855349361.gif
1MB, 290x189px
>>902016
>serbian axe
>my serbian dad calls it plankača
>serbian dad
>google plankača
>first result: hrvatski jezicni portal
>>
>>902078
are you serious? Why would you buck with an axe? You would lose a lot of wood in chips

You fell with the axe and buck to decent lenght. Then you transport the logs and buck with a crosscut saw into splitting rounds.
>>
>>902094
It's technically a Croatian word but Serbs use it, even a few people here in Slovenia call it "plenkača"
>>
>>901970
Is it actually flat on one side? Or a gay meme and its beveled on both sides?
>>
>>902156
no it's fucking beveled on both sides for the fanboy's satisfaction of having a carpenter's axe without the carpenter part. Also their website is shit
>>
can someone explain the double bit to an axe noob? reasons why or why not to purchase one.
>>
>>902163
Gay... I'm having such a hard time finding hewing axes that I'm about to buy some plate steel, a hot rolled pipe steel. And hire someone to cut and weld a batch of them together... Then do the heat treating and normalizing on my own. Just don't know if a welded piece like this would hold up over time... My froe has.
>>
>>900882
Literally just get yerself a husqvarna. I would even argue that they are on par with hults at a fraction of the price. Their hatchets are maybe $40, and if you want an actual axe or a splitting maul, it might run you $70 - $100, which I would say is extremely reasonable at their level of quality.
>>
>>901952
He literally said they were unfinished, bro
>>
File: my axe.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
my axe.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>902602
can confirm. best bang for buck. love my little husky. Tops BOB for scale (and to show off. have stretched an inner tube over sheath to hold tinder and sharpening stone. works great.)
>>
>>902296
One bit is sharp for chopping the other dull (not dull, just a wider stronger edge) for cutting dirt and roots. At least that's what I use mine for but I don't like it because if you get it in the ground both edges are going to get dull anyway so it's not really a big advantage. Get a felling axe and a mattock instead.
>>
>>902499
faggots made vintage hewing axes prices raise some are over 200 euro here. I bought a German goosewing axe for 40 euros couple years ago and one made from leaf spring from the gypsies for 10 euro. I guess what you plan to do might just work fine.
Why don't you do the blacksmithing yourself? Try to make the body of the axe of mild steel and weld a file or some tool steel at the edge, it might work much better. A hewing axe is not really a striking tool so you shouldn't have problems with the brittleness. Also remember to give a taper to the eye

Why do you need a hewing axe tho?
>>
>>902602
>>902684
got me a husqvarna carpenter's axe some years ago. It's really great quality but I don't like their handles so I made a straight one out of black locust. Also I resharpened so that the left side is much flatter, which is what you really need for woodworking. It's probably one of the best hatchets I have.
>>
>>902163
What the fuck is the point of having a normal carpenters head with a double convex bevel? At least have the bevels be scandi ground
>>
>>902684
I like the Husqy axes, the rough finish they come with is a good canvas to make your own mods like regrinding it or thinning the handle.
>>
Anyone know where I can get a 1/2lb hatchet in the EU that's NOT an overpriced GB axe?
>>
>>903489
Helko, Ochsenkopf, Husqvarna, Hults Bruk, Fiskars etc etc, just look at Lamnia's website
>>
>>903499

a 1/2lb hatchet dude, not one with a 1lb head

Husqvarna, Hults Bruk and Fiskars don't do them that light.Will investigate Ochsenkopf now
>>
File: NFIMG_1382-web.jpg (43KB, 1000x408px) Image search: [Google]
NFIMG_1382-web.jpg
43KB, 1000x408px
Pulaski
>>
>>903603
why is that useful as anything other than a trail maintenance/burn line tool?
>>
>>901487
Our king also praised it

https://youtu.be/iM_EoTTcdJE
>>
>>903663
I bit the bullet, and ordered it; unfortunately, it worked out to $70 in syrup bucks after "oversized shipping" and exchange rate. Awful deal in hindsight; could have gone after a lower-mid range european for a few dollars more.

We'll see what it's like when I get it in a couple weeks.
>>
>>903730
It's not a $70 axe that's for sure. Worth $30 tops
>>
>>903815
Eh, it's hard to get anything inbetween "garbage" and "best in class" up here. No such thing as mid-range in syrup land. I overpaid for it, but I'm still looking forward to putting it to use. I won't feel bad when I'm dicking around and abusing it; the only reason it was so expensive was because of my stupid impulse.
>>
>>903663
that guy is a total faggot. I used to watch him when he used to make cabins with weird joinery. Now he's just getting worse and worse
>>
File: øyo sportsøks.jpg (119KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
øyo sportsøks.jpg
119KB, 1200x1200px
Oyo sportsoks (sport axe)

Pretty standard little axe, it's something they had for sale.
>>
>>903566
There's hardly any chance of you finding a 0.22kg hatchet, even if you do, it'll be near useless for most jobs.
>>
>>903566
what the fuck are you going to do with a half pound hatchet? it will be useless as a tool. You might as well carry a bush knife... In fact, you'll probably be able to do more with more efficiency if you use the knife.
>>
File: 1480056712977.jpg (31KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
1480056712977.jpg
31KB, 600x726px
>>900745
>tfw when suburbs but want a nice Axe anyway
>>
File: download.jpg (62KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
62KB, 500x333px
Why must Hoffman axes be so sexy yet so expensive, i ask you, dear lord.
>>
>>901418
What were your links intended to show, that both GB and HB hand forge with mechanical hammers? I'm not sure any reasonable person disputes that.

There is a lot more to an axe than whether it was hand forged. Steel, heat treat, forging methods, and operator skill are big parts. As is the design of the head.

If you use a GB side by each with an HB, Husqvarna, Marbles....whatever...then sure you shouldn't spend the extra and just buy the whatever. And in truth a good many of the people buying them today couldn't tell the difference.

But that doesn't mean there isn't any and that the differences aren't worth it to people who use an axe often. With GB it comes down to pattern as much as anything else.
>>
>>903566
Take a look at

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Karesuando-Kniven-Unna-Aksu-Hunting--31626

I have one and it is is top notch axe. Expensive but not quite GB expensive.
>>
File: photo 1.jpg (143KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
photo 1.jpg
143KB, 640x480px
>>900745
Found the blade in Poland, did the rest myself
>>
>>904018
Why is he getting worse and worse
>>
>>904091
I'm going to use it to prep kindling. Not everyone is out felling trees, kid.

I'd wager a 1/2# hatchet would out chop a comparably sized big knife (350ish grand). Which is what I have right now.

I reckon maintaining a 2 1/2" bit is gonna be a lot less hassle than 5"+ of blade too.

Hatchet, short fixed knife and folding saw is where it's at as far as I'm concerned
>>
File: IMG_1159.jpg (858KB, 2000x1424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1159.jpg
858KB, 2000x1424px
>>904030
https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-small-hatchet/
>>
File: IMG_1160.jpg (46KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1160.jpg
46KB, 400x300px
>>904225
Dunno man, expensive and stainless steel?

The gb looks good..
>>
>>904250
Nice
Would chop wood with
>>
File: hatchet.jpg (20KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hatchet.jpg
20KB, 500x500px
I've got a 2 lb hatchet and the handle grain is horizontal and starting to split. It feels a little small for two hands but it's really fatiguing to use with one. What would be a good length to make a new handle?
>>
>>904295
because his videos are full of bullshit. Back then he was making videos about him doing things he was good at, now it's him doing things to make videos and get views and money. Like the 200 part series about making a tiny axe handle or his last horrible videos about blacksmithing. Also his titles don't make sense any more they're just clickbait in caps.
>>
>>904206
GB also have thinner handles, but i have heard that their larger axes still have handles that are too thick.
>>
>>904614
15-16" seems like a decent side
>>
>>904705
He even made a video explaining that he's selling out
>>
>>904744
Link?
>>
>>904753
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Mt2IklnV0
>>
Wranglerstar's videos on axe handles are pure cringe. In one video about the proper way of doing it he puts 10 hours in a handle. He's basically using a drawknife and a rasp the whole time and he carves a handle out of the plank painfully slowly.
Check his most recent video about how to fall a tree "skills every guy should master - tree felling"
>>
>>904942
The guy honestly believes the S will HTF whether he recognizes it or not.

Really that is the only explanation.
>you should learn to fell timber with an axe
Why? I can drop 5 times as much with a power saw. Any crew I could work would kick me off if I said I was going to run an axe in place of a saw, let alone a power saw.

So anyway Wrangler is fine he just puts way too much emphasis on screwing around, though he can afford to.
>>
>>905075
>Why?

Because he's got to clickbait you into listening about how good and wholesome it feels to use old tools and anecdotes instead of electricity because he's the jackiest of all trades and it's better to do a mediocre job with character than to work safer and cleaner with things anyone can get
>>
>>905085
O I believe you
>>
>>905093
sry I just watched chandler dickinson's new video and now I'm angsty
>>
>>901127
I have their Swedish forest axe & Hudsons Bay axe, highly recommend the Hudson's bay
>>
File: IMAG2581.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2581.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>900745
Who has me beat /out/?
>>
File: IMAG2582.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2582.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
>>905110
Important ones are polished and shaving sharp. No fucks about the maul.
>>
>>904743
it's around that length now, would something like 20-24" be reasonable?
>>
>>905111
good looking set, you use the estwing much?
>>
File: wranglerstar.png (955KB, 865x601px) Image search: [Google]
wranglerstar.png
955KB, 865x601px
>>905075
>The guy honestly believes the S will HTF
Wranglerstar used to be a prepper. He probably still is, but he is hiding his power level a bit.

Some of his older videos are more prepper oriented. I looked up some wranglerstar videos from 2012 and 2013 and they have titles like
>How I'm Preparing For Economic Collapse
>Tools To Defend Your Home Economic Collapse
>What's in Your Bugout Bag? Wranglerstar's 72 Hour BOB Survival Kit
>Prepping Getting a Reluctant Spouse On Board

That's a bit different from the Wranglerstar we see today. He's much more moderate now.
>>
>>905125
Not as much as I use the hewing hatchet or forest axe. They weigh about the same so the extra length on the forest axe is good.

It's a good hatchet though, not nearly as expensive as a GB or anything.
>>
>>904206
Two tools:
-Produced in exactly the same way
-Using the exact same materials

>Using another mold on your mechanical hammer and grinding your handle differently, having the same overall production effort, justifies a 100% price difference

Also read the last part of the post.
The higher price is a result of high demand, not superior quality.
Marketing sure is stronk.
>>
>>905324
They make an enormous difference in the performance of the axe and GB patterns are much more refined and elegant. "Lesser" makers are somewhat clunkier.
I don't know if that raises the production costs a lot. They surely put more effort in design and their blacksmiths sure are at a higher level (even if it is a mechanical hammer it takes quite some skill), but it's what people want and that's the reason they sell at double the price.

Also mechanical hammers don't use molds but dies and you don't grind the handles, you grind metal. Their handles are milled.
>>
File: 016_zps3458e41a.jpg (163KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
016_zps3458e41a.jpg
163KB, 1024x768px
>>905324
>>905341

>arguing over plebian axes
>not recognizing the choice of true patricians
>>
>>905351
more like autism
I don't own any GB axe, only swedish axe i own is a husqvarna carpenter's axe I bought very cheap. I might show the axes I work with when I get a memory card for my camera
>>
>>905357

>autism

stole my joke dammit
>>
>>905207
Wasn't he around the same time also complaining about how being tacticool is stupid, yet he has a BS tacticool AR setup
>>
>>905351
I take it you haven't heard of Liam Hoffman from Hoffman Blacksmithing?
>>
>>905341
>enormous difference in the performance
>refined and elegant
>blacksmiths sure are at a higher level

Wew lad
>>
>>905418
comparing a gb to a hb or wetterligns it's very true
>>
>>901328

It's the Agdor, but I rehandled it with some generic 18.5 inch handle from Hultafors.
>>
File: IMG_0585-002.jpg (137KB, 601x740px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0585-002.jpg
137KB, 601x740px
>>905351
yeah that's sexy
>>
>>905532
That ax is ground kinda ugly
>>
>>905959
You're ugly. Don't ever insult an axe here again.
>>
>>905981
>don't ever talk to me or my wife's axe ever again
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 216x233px
>>905981
m'kay
>>
File: IMG_20161204_165716.jpg (488KB, 1433x793px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161204_165716.jpg
488KB, 1433x793px
At the top is international stuff; axes from France, Germany, Russia, South America, England. Almost everything else is American.
>>
>>906152
Wranglercuck is that you?
>>
>>906172
Oh no, can't stand him anymore. His axe restorations are infuriating and the way he pretends to know anything about blacksmithing is even worse.
>>
>>906189
Why are his restoration videos infuriating?
>>
>>906194
I don't know? How am I meant to known???

Idiot.
>>
File: golden lel.jpg (114KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
golden lel.jpg
114KB, 900x900px
>>906195
>this fucking guy
>>
>>906195
The fukh?
>>
File: Brush-Axe.jpg (111KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Brush-Axe.jpg
111KB, 900x900px
>>900745

The Brush Axe is very useful for clearing heavy ground cover.

>also works wonders against zombie hordes.
>>
>>907082
>Posting shitty chink-tier Truper garbage
>>
File: roncola_classica_2c_2623.jpg (902KB, 5959x2467px) Image search: [Google]
roncola_classica_2c_2623.jpg
902KB, 5959x2467px
>>907082
sir this is a billhook a real one. don't post that shit anymore please
>>
File: IMG_1388_zpsiwf3w8fl.jpg (265KB, 645x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1388_zpsiwf3w8fl.jpg
265KB, 645x800px
>>907082
>>907367

and neither are an axe
>>
>>905351
pretty
>>
File: 20161207_163825.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161207_163825.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Guize, it came! Duller than a monkey's butthole, but I'm loving the handle, and the weight of the head.
>>
>>907995
Re:
>>901487
>>901946
>>903663
>>
>>907995
Was our king correct in calling it the best axe under $20?
>>
>>906152
I am the guy who thought he had a big axe collection at like 7..

How lengthy are those halberds?

Have any broadaxes you want to sell? I am going to build a shed and want to make it muchmore complicared than I need to, for some reason.
>>
>>906152
I love the look of your handles, they actually look like proper thin handles of yesterday, todays handles are so thick you have to rasp them down a lot to make 'em useful.
>>
File: muhaxes.jpg (303KB, 1164x1552px) Image search: [Google]
muhaxes.jpg
303KB, 1164x1552px
>>900745
Here are three of mine while they were still new, I need to take a new picture because they've all been put to hard use for a year now, especially the Wetterlings.
>>
Why do you americans need them big knobs at the end of the handle?
>>
>>908490
>handle
>>
>>908495
?
>>
>>908589
Not that anon but it's called a haft not a handle.
>>
>>908490
The middle and right ax are Swedish, not American. But the reason for "big knobs" is because when you actually use an ax for prolonged use your hand gets fatigued unless the handle is proper thin, the knob is there so your hand doesn't slide off the handle.
>>
I'm serbian, our axe HAFTS actually taper towards the end or are straight. Also jammed handle from top is superior design.
I can't see an axe ever slipping out of my hand, I'd have to have autistic hands for that
>>
>>909021
Wow, you're so cool
>>
>>909033
yes i am
>>
>>909021
amazing. No autismo hands in serbia, only autismo /out/ posters
>>
>>909051
Why would you say that
>>
>>909021
Srpska nema pojma
>>
>>909021
>Also jammed handle from top is superior design.
Debatable. I can make a proper handle with a wedge design, your haft can't have a good fawn's foot since it has to conform to the size of the eye.
>>
>>909137
You don't need a goddamn fawn foot
>>
>>909120
Serbians are scum in general, but a serbian who doesn't know shit about the axes he claims to be an expert with is worse than scum. He is truely autism.
>>
>>909147
Then tell me what the truth is
>>
File: 20161209_122037-1.jpg (402KB, 1512x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20161209_122037-1.jpg
402KB, 1512x1840px
>>900745
About a 15 year old estwing camp axe
Used and abused. not good for splitting big rounds but great for axing easy 1 handed use have a brand new leather sheath for it someplace.
Pretty solid axe really. I used to have a fiskas axe but the back of the head came out of the bullshit plastic stick it was glued to $50 I paid I think
>>
>>909140
You also don't need toilet paper but it's a goddamn nice luxury to have, isn't it? The fawn's foot has been developed by users, Serbian axes tend to not have one since Serbia doesn't have as much of a tradition with swinging axes all day.
>>
>>909166
An ax ain't gotta be pretty or expensive to be good for abuse that's for damn sure.
>>
>>909166
Fiskars has a lifetime warranty on all of its products. You don't even need proof of purchase. Just send them an email with a picture of the broken axe and they'll replace it, probably won't even ask you to send the broken one back.
>>
>>909485
Yeah, that's probably what sells them so well.
>>
Wanna get a friend a splitting maul. Wanna spend 50-100 dollars. He's prone to breaking shit so I'm thinking about getting a cheaper maul with a replacement handle. Or should I just spend that extra money on the maul itself?
>>
>>909635
Try Stihl mauls, they have some quality stuff, it's not overly expensive and it's available
>>
File: IMG_20161211_095128455.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161211_095128455.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I seem to have misplaced my broadaxe and the big ones for splitting logs are in the shed
>>
>>905351
I'd get a chainsaw instead.
>>
File: 20151108_140509.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20151108_140509.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>910687
Yeah but this isn't a chainsaw thread, it's an ax thread.
>>
What do you think about Fiskars axes? Are they good for /out/ists?
>>
>>910833
They're OK, the steel is a bit soft, perhaps it would be better if you tried to convex the edge.
The handle is close to indestructible, but it does transfer more vibrations to your hands as opposed to a good hickory or ash handle.
The sheath is a bit bulky TBQHfamalamadam
>>
>>910841
Okay, thank you. I have an option to buy those axes thanks to my work for a price my employer buys them, so thats nice.
>>
>>910844
I mean if you can get one for even cheaper than what they normally go for, then do it, if anything you can sell it for a normal or slightly lower than normal price and have a profit, or make a decent gift for someone.
>>
File: IMAG0181.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0181.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
The fuck is this?

It's 1lb. No makers markings.

I fitted it to a stock wetterlings handle.
>>
>>911045
Probably some random blacksmiths axe
>>
Anyone got any idea if there's a re-up of this vid or something? Why does she private her videos so often?
>>
File: DSCN00632.jpg (3MB, 4120x3088px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00632.jpg
3MB, 4120x3088px
>>
File: IMG_0211.jpg (176KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0211.jpg
176KB, 960x720px
There's this store in town that pretty much only sells American and European made tools called HJE Tools in KC. I bought a Wetterligs axe from there about a year ago.

Anyways I was in there a month or so ago when I saw this new line of axes they had in stock made by Council Tool they call the "Woodcraft pack axe". The level of fit and finish was so high compared to other axes in its category I really thought about buying one right then and there, even though the price is a little steep and it seems to be virtually unknown on the internet. Though I caould tell that there were design features obviously meant to appeal to the bushcrafter and the excellent quality of the head and hickory handle (I had to dig through the pile to find a Wetterlings that wasn't fucked up or bent in one way or another).

Has anyone tried one of these Woodcraft axes out?
>>
>>903730
How is it bruh?
>>
>>914276
Saw you on diy, i like those
>>
>>906152
How heavy is that huge axe on the far left?
>>
>>914627
Bigly heavy
>>
>>914555
They're supposedly pretty damn good, makes sense since 5160 is a damn good steel, the handles seem a bit on the thick side, nothing a rasp won't fix though.
>>
>>909492
Other anon, can confirm. Mate knows an oldfart who had maybe 40 year old fiskars, managed to break it, drove to the factory, got two as replacement.
>>
File: 20161218_191603.jpg (952KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_191603.jpg
952KB, 2560x1536px
>>910844
I got mine (X7) for 22 yuros, nearby gas station had a stamp campaing. So far I have used it to roughly carve my bow. Sharp as fuck and I'm just loving the ergonomics.
Did I fall for the memes or did I buy an reasonabe babbys first axe?
>>
File: DSCN00812.jpg (3MB, 3584x2696px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00812.jpg
3MB, 3584x2696px
These are italian axes, my absolute favorite.
>>
>>914839
A nearby gas station had the same thing except it wasn't just these axes, it was also Bear Grylls stuff. Kinda regret not getting anything from there.
>>
File: Sivunosto.png (168KB, 770x235px) Image search: [Google]
Sivunosto.png
168KB, 770x235px
>>914879
So guessing you are another Finn, and looking at the teboil campaing? In that case, the campaing ends at 31'st this month.
On a related note, are those BG-knives actually worth their salt, or just promotional trash? They seem kinda gimmicky. My next purchase is gonna be a new knife, but I'll just probably go with a new cheap mora.
>>
File: IMG_2010.jpg (50KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2010.jpg
50KB, 500x375px
Hey guys, no experience woodworking, but I'm wanting to do an axe handle for my first project.

Do you have recommendations for resources or what type(s) of head or brand?

I'm wanting to make a Hudson most likely. I did some googling and found an article on The Art of Manliness but was just wondering if you had something else.

Pic related is just the picture from the article.
>>
File: 315-e3BZlEL._SY300_.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
315-e3BZlEL._SY300_.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
I'm thinking about getting an Estwing Camp Axe 16" for back country. I dont have a lot of money but I want 1 good axe.

am I doing good?
>>
File: estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png (105KB, 404x570px) Image search: [Google]
estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png
105KB, 404x570px
>>915002
Yes, you won't ragret it. Estwings and Vaughans are aces.
>>
>>905111
that small axe is sexy as fuck
>>
>>915092
which one? the lil' estwing at the end?
>>
>>914908
If you're talking about those Gerber Bear Grylls knives, they are shit. Blades are made of chinesium, handles are plastic usually.
>>
File: 420-liten-skogsyxa.jpg (816KB, 2000x1424px) Image search: [Google]
420-liten-skogsyxa.jpg
816KB, 2000x1424px
Saving my cash up to get this cutie. Gransfors Bruks small forest axe. They're expensive as hell for an axe but I've heard hardly anything bad about them at all.
>>
File: 20161219_012128.jpg (914KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_012128.jpg
914KB, 2048x1536px
>>900745
This is my 28" Collins camp axe with 2 1/4lb head. The handle has a defect, so it's been splitting along the grain. I'll be replacing the handle soon, possibly tonight if I decide I'm not going to bed at all tonight.
>>
>>915182
Save half of the money and buy a Hultafors like anon said here
>>901418

When it's about tools, I think like this:
When I buy this one axe for 100$, will it last longer than 5x 20$ Axes?

In this case you have nearly the exact same product and pay double the price for the shinier one.

Gransförs Bruks was nearly bankrupt until they got a new owner who was very adept in doing marketing. The stamps on the axe heads aren't a tradition you know? They sold ugly, signal colored axes just like Stihl sells them. That little company naturally couldn't compete with such a giant.
The new owner turned over to that classic style and boom.
Gransförs Bruks sells a feeling of traditionality in the first place, the practicality comes second. (Their axes still kick ass of cause)

If you want it for the aesthetics though go for it, they even got a design price. The wildlife hatchet is sexy af.
>>
How do you justify owning expensive axes when you live damn close to the city, hate it, and want nothing more than to get yourself a few acres?
>>
>>914908
Nope, i'm Slovenian.
Those BG knives have shit steel and construction.
>>
File: on-screen sound.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
on-screen sound.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>900745
This one, but with a chromed head.
>>
>>900745
What are the traditional ways of treating an axe head? I've seen some neat patinas on new axes and the stamps are often dark inside, I was wondering how they do that.
>>
>>915652
Storing it dry.
>>
probably a dumb question but how do i go about finding the laws on cutting down trees in the wild that i dont own? is that normally against the law in usa?
>>
>>905438
I have a GB, two Wetterlings, and an older pattern Husqvarna

the Husqvarna is easily my favourite, Wetterlings are runner up, and I almost never use my GB because the pattern is junk and overrated and I don't like it

I consider posts like yours to be internet manchild gear-hype hype regurgitation

the only thing GB does "better" is the handle's oiled finish from the factory
>>
>>916794
What kind of wild? Different areas are under different jurisdictions.
>>
File: Chased_DragonAxe_01_08_900.jpg (113KB, 833x900px) Image search: [Google]
Chased_DragonAxe_01_08_900.jpg
113KB, 833x900px
>>900745
I want to customize an axe (probably vinegar bath and laser etching for the head, burn lines and linseed oil for the handle) for a friend, so I need the handle and the head separately.

Recommendations?

I'm the guy using >>915336
and it seems to be a good size for hiking and camping in Northern Pennsylvania. Budget is <$100. Also, any techniques for or ideas on tastefully decorating an axe would be appreciated.
>>
>>916794
If you don't get caught you didn't do it, simple as that. Or don't cut trees unless you have the go-ahead from the owner, own the property or are far away in the woods.
>>
>>916929
Vintage ax, whatever pattern suits you, go for brands like Collins (extra points for Legitimus), Kelly true temper, flint edge or perfect, Plumb brand and there's a few more. Handle if you're in the US get one from Tennessee hickory or make your own from whatever wood you like.
>>
>>917002
Thanks for the suggestions, I wrote them down in my pocket notebook for the next time I see a garage sale or stop by an antique store.

>Vintage ax
Is there a website for these, or do I just have to luck out locally?

>if you're in the US
I am, Pennsylvania specifically.
>>
Thoughts on osage orange as handle material? Have a good chunk laying around that would be nice for a hatchet.
>>
>>917022
It would be very strong, but quite heavy.
>>
>>917022
Thoughts? Beautiful wood, phenomenal strength, but heavy. I'd recommend making a thin handle, even thinner than a gransfors http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2jemfAE8rkI/VIci7UMq72I/AAAAAAAAC-o/suaR79nV6hs/s1600/PRR_32axehandle.jpg like this.
>>
>>917004
Look at Ebay, go to antique stores, yard sales, collectorsweekly, toolexchange, maybe even look at Etsy.
>>
If I were interested in making hatchets for fun and possibly profit which pattern of axe would be the best to make?
>>
>>917100
For you
>>
File: 200_d.gif (212KB, 259x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_d.gif
212KB, 259x200px
>>917238
Look at these patterns. Handforged in Germany.

http://www.damastklinge.de/damastklinge_texte/de_beilef.htm
>>
guys i'm kind of new to hiking and camping, but so far i'm really enjoing it.
i'm at a point where i want to get me some gear and after doing some research i got the idea that i might want to get me a small hatchet for hiking.
many guys on youtube have huge knifes for procesing wood, but i thought why not buy a tool that is actually made for this task.
would you guys recommend me a light hatchet like the gb outdoor axe or is it not big enough ?
the gb small forest axe is a bit heavy for my taste
>>
>>917765
what do you want it for? If you're hiking I would NOT go larger than a hatchet.
>>
>>917765
If you want one do it. If it is too heavy use it for car camping.not popular but I like having one to dick around with.

Estwing makes nice small ones or even one from a garage sale/thrift store if you are frugal.
>>
>>917776
sorry i didnt make my point clear.
i'm thinking about buying the gb outdoor axe (it is the size of an hatchet, the name is confusing) and it weighs around 1lb.
the small forest axe was an example of an axe that is too big and heavy for my liking
>>
>tfw I want a sexy axe, but I don't actually have a use for one.
>>
>>917765
>but i thought why not buy a tool that is actually made for this task.
Correct thought. Using a knife for axe/hatchet work is retarded and means your knife is probably shit for knife work.
>>
>>918209
So? If it has aesthetic value to you, then it's worth it.
>>
File: IMG_20160710_185813.jpg (944KB, 1152x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160710_185813.jpg
944KB, 1152x1440px
I really like my Scandinavian forest axe. My gf found a small forest axe that she's giving me so I'm looking forward to trying that one out too.
>>
File: IMG_3337.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3337.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
So hey guys I have this Carpenter's Axe and it wasn't until I started using it than I noticed the shape isn't optimal for green wood. It's more of a dry woodworking tool with a long straight bevel that functions more like a chisel and is pretty crappy at splitting wood.

I want to change the shape of it per pic related. What is the best tool for the job? Some Harbor Freight files I have do in fact cut the steel but it's a slow process and there's a lot of metal to remove.
>>
>>918492
if you have a bench vise an angle grinder will do fine, just take it slow

it's a shame to mod a lovely carpenter's head like that- why not buy a cheapy chopper of some kind and mod that?
>>
File: IMG_3337.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3337.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Or something like this.
>>
>>918494
I know it is a shame, but I'm not that big into hewing logs or carving and I need to make do with what I have.
>>
I'll look into the angle grinder. Seems like a natural choice but every time I've used a cutting disk the metal being cut gets red hot.

I think I'll try cutting off less than I want with the grinder, then file the rest into shape to avoid overheating the edge.
>>
>>918492
Please don't... Ill get ya a splitting maul from ebay before I tell you how to molest a carpenters axe.
>>
>>906152
that replica Dane axe... handle seems much too short and the blade is way too big for a type M Dane. Unless it's something else...
>>
>>918503
yep. i'd take small cuts a piece at a time, quench/cool it if it gets hot. don't let it get to color-changing cause then you're messing with the temper
>>
What tools and methods do you enjoy using to sharpen your axes.
>>
File: axe project.jpg (1MB, 2626x1779px) Image search: [Google]
axe project.jpg
1MB, 2626x1779px
Heres my axe project for the month(i guess of january, since i doubt i'll do much in the next 6 days)

Biggest barrier right now is removing the nail thats in the valley of the axe head. I *WANT* to salvage the handle and re-use it since nice hickory handles are a pain in the ass to find. Thing is, this one is kind of in rough shape as the picture shows. If/when i get the nail out, i would sand everything down, lower the shoulder of the axe either 1/4 or 1/2 an inch, and remount it with a new wedge. Prior to doing that(but after i get the head free) is there anything i can do to the handle to give me it more strength? Maybe put some glue or epoxy on that collar, and bind it with wax paper(to force the glue in) and remove the wax paper when its cured?

Getting the axe head in order is a cinch(just soak in vinegar, and use a steel brush on a drill to remove the paint/rust/whatever, then maybe clean the mushroomed end up with a file) so the only question is, can i salvage the handle, or should i just save aggravation and put some ugly one from home depot on? Also, any one have some pointers on removing a nail? It sticks out maybe 1/8th of an inch, but the head is gone so i cant pry at it too well.
>>
File: 20160711_221249_2.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160711_221249_2.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
The axe i mostly use, a standard woodcutters axe, heavy enough to not need sharpening it splits wood by sheer force. I think it could be from around the 30s - 50s, could even be older if they swapped the wooden handle at least once or twice.
>>
File: IMG_20161225_131124_681.jpg (953KB, 1694x2914px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161225_131124_681.jpg
953KB, 1694x2914px
>>918692
Here's a tighter pic of the nail.
>>
File: IMG_20161225_131009_652.jpg (794KB, 1167x3146px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161225_131009_652.jpg
794KB, 1167x3146px
>>918692
>>918698
And heres a pic of my last project axe. Trying to make a double of it so when i go camping i can lend it out to a friend who i'm with... so it isnt just me doing all the axe work. Have yet to seal it with linseed oil... Probably going to do a light sanding one more time to try to get off some teal pain near the base.
>>
File: axe project-handle.jpg (706KB, 1955x1150px) Image search: [Google]
axe project-handle.jpg
706KB, 1955x1150px
>>918699 here
Update: got the head off(used a punch tool to slip in behind the nail and force it at a 45 degree angle, then yanked it out with compound leverage needle nose pliers. Then the head practically slipped off)

Not sure if i'll be able to use the handle though... I was hoping the damage was just below the axe head, but you can see it was also inside where the axe head rests. Anyone have some input? I really dont want to drop $20 on a handle.
>>
>>918696
Cool looking axe! But that fire's suffocating :[
>>
>>902602
I own one and couldn't be happier
>>
>>918492
>>918495
Why not just round the bevel, why remove that beard?
>>
>>918841
that handle is fucked, you could still re-handle with it buts its just going to come lose again, or split at the shoulder which could be potentially dangerous.

Get yourself a new handle, that's why you have a real axe and not fiberglass handled BS. Better yet, get yourself something nice like an octagonal handle, and you might even have some fun hanging it.
>>
Anyone got a beginner guide to recondition a old axe?
got a few sitting around in a barn and may fancy a few tips how i should start getting them sharp without ruining the head
>>
>>919085
Depends on their condition now. If the heads are loose, you probably want to remount them, which is a big job. If they're solid, going over them with some sand paper, and applying linseed oil would be enough. Sharpening the axe head is the very last step tho, since working with the tool after it's sharp only increases the risk of hurting yourself.... Plus, sharpening it once it's already mounted is easier than when it's loose.
>>
>>914555
I am actually debating on this or the the HB Kisa as my first axe to cut my teeth and get into axes with.
About same price, but nearly everyone is balls deep into anything swedish right now.
>>
>>919504
If you're serious, or even just want to test the water, you're far better off going on Craigslist, or garage sales, and refurbishing an old axe. You'll still eventually want the GB, or velvicut, but you'll appreciate them so much more after spending a few hours fixing up a project axe. Plus, a project axe is only going to cost you $10, plus whatever else you'll need anyway for maintaining the high end axe(you still need to put linseed oil on a premium axe every year, you still need a file and stones to maintain the edge)
>>
>>919504
I think you wouldn't regret getting the Woodcraft. I had an opportunity to compare them with some Swedish axes and it's obvious Council Tool did the same and wanted to make a statement in the $150 axe class with the Woodcraft.

Like I said, the fit and finish is on another level.
>>
>>919543
While I will 100% agree with you on this prospect, the same big problem popped up when I first got into guns and the AR and assembling parts vs. buying whole/upper-lower:

tools

While I have a light duty benchvise, the table its on is less than adequate and my collection of tools is still small.
Down the line, when I settle more into a permanent residence and a solid work table and a heavy duty vice, I will be more than happy to restore old workhorse tools.
>>
>>919837
You don't really need a lot of tools though. In fact, the more you do by hand, the more you'll appreciate the end result.

My first one was done with a hack saw, a bastard file, a small Tupperware container, some vinegar, a drill and a wire brush that went into the drill, and a hammer. Thats it. It won't be as refined as one used with power tools, and it'll take more time to complete(I fucking hate contouring the handles to fit into the eye) but it'll still be a solid tool.
>>
>>919921
well, I've already put in an order for the Council Tool woodcraft axe in 24". But I'll keep an eye out for restoring older axes, since that's now part of what I need to know if I want to maintain it and pass it down to my kids.
>>
File: 90ta_4.jpg (43KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
90ta_4.jpg
43KB, 960x960px
>>900745
got this for xmas. pretty stoked to use it when i go back to alaska. https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Trail-Hickory-Handle/dp/B001CZ9UY4/
>>
>>919672
Agreed. I think the CT Woodcraft pack axes are superior to Gransfors, though i would like a convex rather than a flat edge.
>>
>>920012
WHOA THERE BARREL ASS, HOW HIGH DID YOU DECIDE TO HANG IT?! Serious question for Lynn Thompson, that thing is hung over an inch too high.
>>
>>920065
how do you mean?
>>
Anyone who doesn't think the Gransfors is the superior axe is a beta cuck. I make my bitches buy me one, then I dump them, then I say ill take um back, then I dump on them and make them eat it. love um and leave um. what can I say.
>>
>>920737
Look at how high the axe is hung on that shoulder, it should be hung at 1/2 inch lower on the handle.
>>
>>915365
>this
>>
>>920063
>>919672
well, obviously if I start to like doing this more and want more specilized axes/hatchet, I'll buy swedish as well.
>>
>>921321
If you genuinely get into it and find a use for a good ax, spend a bit extra and get a Hoffman or John Neeman.
>>
>>902102
Slavenian here, can't confirm.

We call it sekira.
>>
>>921358
Ja sekira je slovenska beseda sam fotr je iz srbije pa kliče bosanski stil sekir plankača
>>
File: 20161231_125405.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_125405.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
Got this for my birthday.
The fuck is this? Really grateful and all but what's it called?
My father in law found it in a flea shop.

All googling turned up was sofas and anime.

Axe and debarking in one?
>>
File: vario2000.jpg (4KB, 265x191px) Image search: [Google]
vario2000.jpg
4KB, 265x191px
>>921838
No idea but it looks cool. Reminds of pic related.
>>
>>909021
What have you Serbs logged off?
We clearcut the North American continent ;)
Ps you were right about Bos
>>
>>922201
I'm just back from a 20 days logging in the mountains.There is plenty of logging going on in Serbia
>>
>>921345
Those LH axes look pretty. I'll see how things go with my woodcraft axe, I will probably pick up a longer maul dedicated to splitting and a shorter hatchet.
>>
>>921838
Guess its for splitting mainly. Narrow, but thick head, and metal neck. Looks interesting
>>
>>921345
Eh, i kinda feel the john neeman axes are more for presentation.... Theres so much skill and effort put into them, and they cost so much(They're literally 3x as expensive as a GB) that it also seems irresponsible to use it.

Kinda like a Sebenza knife. Its too nice to actually use.
>>
File: Axes Types-1934..jpg (232KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Axes Types-1934..jpg
232KB, 1200x630px
>>902016
>>902017
>>902094
>>902102
>>921358
>>921558
Look at number 8
>>
>>921838
Norwegian here, never heard of it and couldn't find anything when searching in norwegian.
>>
>>900845
ugh, we are called woodniggers up in the north for a reason. Trust in axes from vikings, not those traders in the south.
>>
File: axe head.jpg (951KB, 3851x1000px) Image search: [Google]
axe head.jpg
951KB, 3851x1000px
>>921838
Does the 2nd bold(at 10 o'clock on that picture) loosen, or have a spring lock on it? I would think its there to allow the blade to pivot so the tool is a straight line, so it can act as a breaking bar/scrapper. Either way, its kinda stupid since the shoulder makes it useless for anything other than splitting, and probably adds 3x as much weight as a comparable axe.

>>918699 here
update on my axe. Head was soaked for 4 days in vinegar, and i took a brass wire brush to it, along with some WD40 as lubricant and to stop any rusting. Now it looks like this.(not quite as nice as my other one on the left of the quoted pic. Heads a bit more dinged up.)

Anyone know what the numbers signify? Theres also an "X" on the underside behind the eye
>>
>>922296
plankaca is probably what we call "bradva" here it's a goosewing axe used to give the final smoothing to a hewn beam. In that picture kranjska is upside down, that point goes upwards I think
>>
>>922296
Kranjska is turned around wrong
>>
File: 1478704446844.png (124KB, 375x409px) Image search: [Google]
1478704446844.png
124KB, 375x409px
>>921838

>sofas and anime

Tells something that about your googling habits

Also, awesome moomins mug! This and the table cloth, for some reason, screams northern european

Good luck identifying that contraption

I wonder if there is play in the pin mechanism, if there is it would make the axe mode very annoying and inefficient!
>>
>>906152
wich you use most?
>>
>>905207
>that ar
>light
>EOtech
>plain jane magpul stock
>tacticool
Yea, no.
>>
Guys, what is the best 50-60cm lengh axe for general woodworking like felling and choping?
>>
>>923418
forgot pic
>>
>>923418
>>923419
Husqvarna forest axe works well.
>>
>>923419
Why was the pic necessary?
>>
>>904250
Might be the angle, but that head looks upside-down
>>
>>903651
>chops wood
>cuts trees
>builds canal around your tent so you won't drown in your sleep
pulaski is supercool but heavy as fuck
>>
>>923443
their handles are crap...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuSivairNSg
>>
Test
>>
>>904170
>Because those are good my son
>>
>>904316
this
>>
>>923862
Ever heard of a rasp or a 4-in-hand?
>>923866
Yeah, i'm currently saving up for one, I'm perfectly fine spending the $300 for one, unlike most of /out/.
>>
>>923955
fuck off fagot
>>
I'm almost afraid to ask but why is Fiskars mentioned so little in here? It's light, sharp as fuck and cheaper than many. Is it because it has plastic heft? Too little outdoorsy?
>>
>>924156
kys
>>
>>924156
Fiskars is a fucking excellent tool. It's not nearly as much fun to be into Fiskars as other brands though, so everyone wants to pretend it sucks. It's just not as æsthetic, woodsman, or snowflake as rusty, pitted, wooden, hand-forged exhorbitantly expensive designer axes. People bitch about Estwing for the same reason. If it's standard, ubiquitous, and easy to get they just don't like it.
>>
>>924156
>>924189
I own their hatchet and I find it just okay. It's not spectacular, but nor is it shit. No doubt part of it is due to people wanting to live out their lumberjack fantasies with a Gränsfors or some such, though
If you just need an axe, a Fiskars will do perfectly fine, but if you want a good axe then you'll have to look at other options
>>
>>900845
Is Prandi the latest meme axe?

>>901127
I bought the hunters axe a good while ago. I think I paid $46.
Needs sharpening out of the box but little filing if any.

Its been great. Well balanced, can be used both one and two handed.
Profile is slightly convex. Too thick for fine work. Bites pretty deep and throws good chips for its size.

Its my favorite axe to carry unles I plan specifically on cutting big wood.
>>
>>924216
Turns out its not called the Hunters axe.
I checked their site and my one isn't there, and it looks like they don't have an equivalent.

Mine is similar in dimensions to the Gransfors SFA, but with a rounded poll.

The handle is around half a meter long and the head isn't that heavy either.
>>
>>922422
>>922406

how do you know it’s upside down? What does that even mean?
>>
File: IMG_6322.jpg (49KB, 617x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6322.jpg
49KB, 617x480px
>>903489
I don't think I've ever seen one.

But, you could look into Spanish and Italian designs.
They make Tomahawk style axes that can get pretty light in weight.

Flores Cortes, Bellota, Angelo B.Andrea Prandi etc have a lot of designs.

Heres a Kitchen axe made by Flores Cortes. Priced under €30
Made of stainless steel with plastic handle. Model is 12303 and weights 250gr

Also, I think axminster in the UK sold those Vaughan tiny hatchets.
>>
>>924580
The 31001 also of Flores Cortes weights 250gr, this time its carbon steel, wood hande, and €15
>>
File: xml-60-BIZ+042010.jpg (16KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
xml-60-BIZ+042010.jpg
16KB, 400x266px
>>924298
it means that the point at the center of the head goes upwards not downwards
>>
>>903489
yes dude look at italian Rinaldi axes
http://www.flli-rinaldi.it/scuri/
>>
File: DSCN00852.jpg (3MB, 3860x2904px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00852.jpg
3MB, 3860x2904px
And now for my carpentry tools
>>
File: DSCN00932.jpg (2MB, 3608x2712px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00932.jpg
2MB, 3608x2712px
>>924593
>>
>>924580
Thanks for the reply. I actually pulled the trigger on a GB 401, £80 but should be good.
>>
Whats the husqvarna equivalent to the GB small forest axe?
>>
>>924894
Husqvarna small forest axe
>>
>>924591
Could you explain it to me like I’m 12 years old?
I don’t get the whole point at the center of the head going downwards..

I mean, I know what the head is.. but point? going downwards?
>>
File: kranjska.jpg (36KB, 264x252px) Image search: [Google]
kranjska.jpg
36KB, 264x252px
this point
>>
File: 1483607880843.jpg (17KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
1483607880843.jpg
17KB, 400x266px
goes up
>>
>>924948
>>924946

thanks! why is this important though?
>>
>>924949
because old people say it is
>>
>>924949
Probably just for an easy identifier as to what side is up for when hanging the axe.
>>
>>915409
"Hey Paul!" ?
>>
File: DSCF7867.jpg (788KB, 3264x4080px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7867.jpg
788KB, 3264x4080px
repost from the knife thread heres my new GB...

Would love to know what you guys think of 1/2lb hatchets. I'm done carrying big knives
>>
>>926468

I've been using smaller and smaller axes over the years, and a half pound head on a 12 inch handle is the smallest I found useful. You're already only splitting 3-4" wood at that point, just to get to dry insides.
>>
File: DSCF7873.jpg (741KB, 4080x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7873.jpg
741KB, 4080x3264px
>>926489
Yeah for hiking/camping I can't see the need for loads of tools - the weight adds up quickly.

In the winter I'm already packing a Boreal21 folding bow saw (500g), which does the bulk of the wood processing. In the Summer I just take a Bahco laplander (190g)

Half pound hatchet (300g) is for kindling prep, and my knife is for detail work (120g).

Altogether it's 1kg in tools, just about right IMO.
>>
complete newbie here and I've got a question. most people seem to cream themselves over gransfors or hultafors, but I've seen a few people mention they're designed for softwoods and I live in an area that is overwhelmingly hardwood. couldn't really find anything on google, but that might be because I'm retarded and I'm missing something obvious

main use would be processing firewood when hiking and camping, so I wouldn't want a splitting maul. that's about all I know though.
>>
>>927136
never heard that but my thinking is GB = sweden = boreal forest

If you're dealing with a lot of hard wood then perhaps a stouter bevel?
>>
>>927136
I checked them out myself simply because they caught my eye when looking for an axe myself, but you might want to check out Hachas Artesanals Juaregi. Supposedly designed for hardwoods
>>
File: p8240214.jpg (138KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
p8240214.jpg
138KB, 800x600px
>>927136
Designs like the american axes are for softwoods. Long edges with sharp corners take large bites but are not ideal for hardwoods. Many German and Italian axes are designed for cutting oak, beech, hornbeam and they are long and narrow to take small but deep cuts, and very thin at the cutting edge >>914840

Pic related are italian axes designed specially for falling, the long poll is for balance like in an american axe. Some are very large in size like mattocks and are mighty at what they do.
>>
File: dsc00014.jpg (208KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dsc00014.jpg
208KB, 800x600px
>>927589
some more axes. These are pictures from an italian site
>>
File: $_57.jpg (611KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
611KB, 1600x1200px
>>927591
This type of hunchback axe gives me the weirdest boner
>>
>>927136
The Swedish axes will work for hard woods, if you see edge troubles, raise the edge angle.
>>
>>927920
The swedish axes are too thick and small for hardwoods.
They work best on medium or soft woods where the thicker, more convex grind is useful for throwing big chips.
>>
>>927591
>That Stihl handle
>>
What grit should I take my haft up to before finishing with boiled linseed?
>>
>>928423
Depends on how smooth you like it.

I usually go from 60, to 180, to 320.

The last step is a quick polish with a worn piece of 800 grit.

320 is a very smooth surface on wood with virtually no scratches. Linseed oil applied in numerous thin coats will fill in any scratches left anyway.
>>
>>927589
>>927591
Fuck. I really want to try one out now.

What area of Italy are these from?
Is there a particular brand that still makes old patterns like this?
>>
File: 13478_TSB014-01.jpg (17KB, 525x525px) Image search: [Google]
13478_TSB014-01.jpg
17KB, 525x525px
What do you guys think of Toporsib axes? The steel and hardness seems nice, cheeki breeki quality, but the handles are beech wood.
>>
>>928449
I doubt you'll find this pattern easily, and I don't think there are new ones made. They are from central/northern italy, although most famous brands are in the alpine region.

Rinaldi makes some pretty awesome axes from carbon steel and they are good quality http://www.flli-rinaldi.it/home-2/
You can buy some models in the US from baryonix

Check out this movie there's some old time logging going on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AqRrFwVmXI
Also a video on italian loggers from 1948 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYpu5hQjxM
>>
>>928486
there's nothing wrong with beech wood for handles, although my favorite is ash
>>
>>928486
Why would it matter what wood the handles are as long as they're straight grained.
muh USA hickry is a meme anyway.
>>
>>928493
Because every wood has different strength, following your logic, aspen or poplar is a fine choice for a permanent handle.
>>
>>928509
he probably didn't mean that, rather any hard wood is okay as long as it's straight. Hickory, ash, beech, hornbeam, black locust, maple, some oaks are all valid choices
>>
>>928448
yeah I'd like it smooth. I'll try taking it to 800 and see how I like it, thanks for the advice anon.
>>
>>928514
The problem is if you try to make a nice thin handle the problem becomes that the handle will break rather than flex.
>>
>>928577
Dude I'm sorry but american handles really are a meme. You overcomplicate things. Get a hold of an Italian axe with a slide-on handle and you'll see the difference
>>
>>928577
I have a 40oz Ball-pein hammer with a 19" handle of unknown wood.

The handle is no thicker than my thumb at the narrowest point - just below the head.

Its survived abuse that would deform an axe at the eye.

The only handles I've ever broken were made from chinese softwoods
>>
>>928638
boxwood is also used but usually for shorter handles. very tough wood
>>
File: IMG_6349.jpg (168KB, 681x1756px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6349.jpg
168KB, 681x1756px
>>928489
When I think of an Italian axe, it's usually a tomahawk style with no poll.

I never knew these patterns existed but somehow they feel familiar.

I'm driving trough the length of Italy and Sicily later this year.
I'll definitely be on the lookout.

Meanwhile, I'll keep searching to see if they're still produced.
I'm sure someone out there is still making them.
Old family companies are incredibly resilient sometimes.

Image is the Ligurian type, of Angelo B.
Closest I've found so far.
>>
>>928743
There are plenty of companies making axes. Rinaldi, Angelo Bergamasco, Falci, Kapriol, Prandi are common brands but I think Rinaldi and Falci axes and billhooks are above all the others in quality. Angelo B is known for poor quality steel

That type of axe you are looking for seems to be more common towards french territories than german, try french ebay
latour.au13 is a french ebay seller with shittons of overpriced french tools and antique items including many of these axes (hache is axe in french)

http://myworld.ebay.fr/latour.au13/
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/n-44-outil-ancien-axe-hache-forgee-de-37-5-cm-/371040865290?hash=item5663c24c0a:g:wwcAAOxyBvZTRlh3
>>
File: axe of the gods.png (1MB, 2526x652px) Image search: [Google]
axe of the gods.png
1MB, 2526x652px
>>900745
Is there anywhere left carrying these in stock anywhere?

And am I getting memmed if I buy? I really just want to step out of hatchets and get something above at least 22''
>>
>>928765
Also I do not live around stores that sell axes outside of shitty ugly unappealing composite handles.
>>
>>928543
Wranglerstar said to also put 1 or 2 coats on the head, and after it's all cured(a week after the last coat?) To go over it with 000 steel wool.

I'm currently still loading the wedge and eye with linseed oil(put about 1tbsp on it every 3 or 4 days.) Once that's done, I'll go over everything on the handle with the oil a few times every week for about a month, and the head itself a few times, then finish it with the steel wool, and put on a leather wrist strap.
>>
>>928828
Yeah wranglerstar is such a master you should do as he says
>>
>>928830
I know he's kinda /out/s nutnfancy(in that he's an idiot meme) but I'd still think scrapping up a oil finish with multiple layers would be good, to get a bit of texture on it.
>>
>>928832
Yes oiling a handle every once in a while is important not only for texture but because wood dries out if you it's constantly outside. But his theories on wedges and generally hanging an axe are a big pile of shit.
>>
>>928835
Huh? You mean specifically the linseed oil thing? It makes sense that it would swell the material in the eye, since the oil residue isn't going anywhere after the water evaporates.
>>
>>928837 here
I know a few people use windshield fluid since it also leaves residue in the wood after evaporating. I figure the lindseed oil residue is better at keeping the wood healthy and hydrated. I'd also worry about the handle getting dyed blue or pink from the washer fluid.
>>
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/5947879084.html

>Like New

He's fucking joking right?
>>
>>928875
Eh, I'd buy it for $15 if I wanted a steel handled hatchet(I don't)

The condition doesn't appear to be too bad beyond some rusting. The blade *looks* okay, but I'm assuming the brown notches are just surface rust. If they are actual chips, it's gonna be a lot of work to profile them out and not worth the effort.

Again tho, there's no reason for a person who browses /out/ to buy a steel handled hatchet. You know better...
>>
>>928882
it's just not "like new". I'm not even certain it has a usable edge still, though obviously the head is still in good shape, it's just been used, and not new lol.

>You know better...

Yeah I do. I was looking for old heads, found this instead.
>>
bad and boujee
>>
>>928828
Linseed oil on the head helps with rust resistance. I apply it with a worn out brush to make sure it gets in the little craters and what not, then and let it cure.
It works on other tools too.

Mixing with a paint thinner makes it cure faster. Don't mix with thinner when applying on wood.

A thick coat of Linseed oil cures into a decently hard varnish.
Thats why you put successive thin coats on the handle insread of a single thick one.
Burnishing with steel wool sort of removes that stickiness of varnish.

For Linseed oil on wood, the saying goes; Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for life.
>>
>>928765
If you're Yuropean, look at wetterlings on Lamnia or Thebushcraftstore, if American, i have no idea.
>>
>>929052
where does the saying come from?
sounds pretty traditional i would suggest its scandinavian
>>
>>929897
i think it's american
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 76

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.