[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what kind of shoes or boots do thru-hikers generally use? and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Appalachian Trail.gif (259KB, 572x738px) Image search: [Google]
Appalachian Trail.gif
259KB, 572x738px
what kind of shoes or boots do thru-hikers generally use?
and in trails such as pct and the at, are the trails marked on trees, is the road trampled and easy to walk on?
>>
98% of thru hikers are using trail runners now. everyones feet are different, so it's hard to recommend a brand. The trails are marked on trees, rocks, posts. The PCT is graded for horses, cattle, pack mules, so it's very smooth and easy walking. The AT has a lot of bolder scrambling, rocky sections for miles, and can be brutal.
>>
>>900743
Hikers use Altra trail runners and other brands. They are generally replaced with new shoes every 700 miles.

I hiked 80% of the PCT in sandals. Having stinky feet sucks, washing socks sucks, and not having room for your toes to naturally spread is unhealthy. Although I haven't tried them, I'd recommend Xero's or Chacos. Teva's and Luna's are not where it's at.

You'll find the PCT is like walking on a sidewalk. Since it's an equestrian trail, it's only graded to a maximum of something like 30 degrees the whole way. Even the snow covered parts are so trampled on that you cannot loose your way. In hind sight, I could have done the whole thing without a map, but that would have been extremely inconvenient for planning resupplies.
>>
>trail runners
why though, they arent actually running are they?
>>
>>900766
Because they're light, comfortable, have good traction and break in quickly.
>>
>>900766
to add to what the other guy said, trail runners also dry out fast, something boots take ages to do.
>>
ok guys, im hearing you - trail runners are a good thing

however winter is here/coming up, do people (read: should i) use these in the snow? or should i use a pair of leather boots during the cold season?
>>
>>900781
Well, think that through.
>>
>>900781
I used them in snow during my thru hike.
>>
>>900789
I did too on PCT but there's a big difference between the snowfields and occasional spring storm, and true winter hiking. Would never use them in winter, even with wool socks your feet will freeze
>>
File: 1257_dark_earthburnt_olive_3q.jpg (37KB, 387x333px) Image search: [Google]
1257_dark_earthburnt_olive_3q.jpg
37KB, 387x333px
>>900743
>>
>>900781
Are you thru hiking this winter?
>>
File: brooks cascadia 10s.jpg (117KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
brooks cascadia 10s.jpg
117KB, 1200x1200px
>>900743
this >>900754
i wore pic related. (brooks cascadia 10s) Would not reccomend this brand, but trail runners are the way to go.

>and in trails such as pct and the at, are the trails marked on trees,
AT is marked by 2x8 inch strips of white paint on trees, bridges, lamposts, buildings, etc
>is the road trampled
yes
>easy to walk on
depends where you are on the trail. overall yes, but sometimes hell no.

i understand the PCT is much different
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.