[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BIKE THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: RLF2015.jpg (2MB, 3225x2417px) Image search: [Google]
RLF2015.jpg
2MB, 3225x2417px
I just finished putting together my winter commute bike. I have a short trip between my apt and my office but I wanted something that could do it in most weather while keeping me dry. I think the BMX Cruiser was the right choice over a MTB or Fat bike.

>>Stock 2015 Redline Flight Pro 24"
>>Downsized rear cog to a 17t.
>>Upsized front cog to FSA 42t.
>>Changed tires from staggered Tioga Powerblocks to matched 1.75" Tioga Comp IIIs.
>>Changed out Crusier 5.5" bars for some standard Redline Flight 8" bars.
>>Added SKS Dashblade and Dashboard front and rear fenders for MTB with the rear cut shorter by 2" and the front slightly modified for fixed forks.

What do you think? Am I dumb? Should I upgrade or change more to handle Boston winter?

>>I have a SE Lager SS for the summer commute.
>>
>>900667
make sure you get a sticker that says "I'm not as autistic as my bike."
>>
Those fenders won't keep you all that dry and if you're past middle school I can't imagine a BMX ever being the right choice for anything. For winter just get an old rigid mountain bike for cheap, some Planet Bike Cascadia, fenders and ride it until it rusts.
>>
File: IMG_20160414_104001.jpg (342KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160414_104001.jpg
342KB, 720x720px
2015 Giant Defy AP 1. My first real road bike. It makes me feel like a champion.
>>
>>900667
cool bicycle, son.
>>
File: IMG_1361.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1361.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>900667
Redline still makes bicycles? Damn...
>>
>>900757
Those 24" BMX type bikes are bretty gud for getting around. Put some fatter 2"+ tires on them, run 100psi in the city or like 30psi offroad, and get a good ratio for cruising and you are straight. Plus they aren't so high or fragile as typical road bikes and you can rip them around a little more.

Even on my little kid's 20" BMX, with 30/10 gearing and some air in the tires, I will cruise around and hang with people on road bikes all day. Only problem is you can't really pedal while sitting down because you typically want the seat nice and low for trick'n.
>>
>>900667
interesting take on winter commuting. I always preferred what sheldon brown recommended- a MTB fixed (front brake too). I had a compact frame that I'd put the saddle a little lower on (so I could put both feet down while still in saddle). Velcro foot retention and I was ready to roll. Made it through a few Baltimore winters which are a joke compared to Boston.
>>
>>900667

May want a pair of detachable tire chains and keep those in a little bag on your handlebars.

You can either buy a kit or make your own using zipties and that small hanging plant chain.

Your center of gravity may be lower but you will still slip on ice.
>>
File: IMG_1857.jpg (228KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1857.jpg
228KB, 1440x1080px
>>900667
>I think the BMX Cruiser was the right choice
>over Fat bike.
>leans into mic
wrong...
>>
Neighbor gave me an old Schwinn high plains that he was gonna throw in the trash. I cleaned it up, but the threads on the crank arm are all stripped, the shifters are gunked beyond reason, and the gear ring is so beat up its missing teeth.

I think I'm gonna give her a new paint job, and fix her up despite needing so much work. It could make a real nice city cruiser for one of my friends. And I'm a sucker for projects.
>>
>>900811
I used to do that but I couldn't find a gear that was good for fast riding on cleared roads (so I could get to work without leaving half an hour early), as well as for plowing through deep snow. And there's no way I was going to flip a filthy flip-flop wheel on the road in midwinter. Ended up building a 26" 3-speed wheel instead which worked OK.
>>
>>901059
I really really really like this image
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.