[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gear you didn't know you needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: 41ArW4iUY9L.jpg (26KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
41ArW4iUY9L.jpg
26KB, 500x338px
Hey /out/,

I'm planning a trip where I'll be staying on the road for a long, long time, camping and fishing and whatnot.

I've come up with a rather extensive packing list, but I keep noticing more gear that would be essential for a long trip. Like a fold-able wash basin.

So what's some gear I might still have missed? What's some stuff that you've come to realize that you need, only after being /out/ without it?
>>
>>900478
Depending where you're going, you can probably do away with the wash basin if there's adequate water. But a small sponge and a small squeeze bottle for concentrate detergent makes life easy. Most are biodegradable/grey water safe as a bonus. Same for washing clothes - a small amount of concentrate, because nobody wants to wear stinking rags.

Do you plan to take electronics? Small folding panels are piss cheap these days, and you can get small battery chargers that run off USB - Xtar VC2/VC4 are good for this, and (in the VC4's case) charge both lithium and NiMH batteries, so that's basically all equipment covered.

Lastly, hammocks make for some mad light sleeping, but it's up to your preferences.
>>
>>900499
Also always have ways to get drinking water handy, dammit.

You sound like you're sorted for food, but consider learning to make pemmican if you're hiking between spots and don't get anything, or don't want to pay for food.

Really, there's a lot you can get, but there's a difference between a full bag and an overloaded mess of a bag. Are you going solo or with others?
>>
>>900500
Oh, and a mylar blanket. Piss cheap, lightweight and can save your ass if it gets freezing. Useful as signalling or tent/hammock insulation, too.
>>
>>900499
>>900500
>>900501
I'm going solo, and I'm already set when it comes to cooking. I also have a mylar blanket in my emergency kit already.
>>
>>900478
>fold-able wash basin
Why the fuck would you want to carry a bucket for washing your clothes? You're going to need groceries, so you might as well seek out a laundromat while you're in town. I can't imagine why you wouldn't just dunk your shit in the river and let it dry in the run. The weight alone is a joke if you're serious about trekking long distances. You'd need detergent too. With all of this information, I'm going to go out on a whim and say that you're a kid in high school or some young man who wants to run away from life, with little to no "camping and fishing" experience.

>What's some stuff that you've come to realize that you need, only after being /out/ without it?
Long spoon. Heavy duty rain clothing. Less weight.
>>
>>900501
how effective are these really? I carry one in my daypack just in case things go very badly. could they keep you warm enough to stay alive in under 30F temps if you only had light layers on?
>>
>>900501
>>900502
>mylar
maximumkek.jpg
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (503KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
503KB, 1000x1000px
>>900501
>mylar blanket

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Notfall-Uberleben-Rettungsdecke-Thermal-Erste-Hilfe-Rettung-Silber-/232112659641

>you want you lose
>>
>>900503
>Why the fuck would you want to carry a bucket for washing your clothes?
Because laundromats aren't guaranteed. Also, I need it for doing dishes, too.
>>
>>900506
>>900504
If you puncture that thing once, it's total garbage. If you don't cowboy camp under a nylon tarp, you're already doing it wrong.

Those "blankets" will not keep you comfortable at any temperature. I highly doubt that they really can do much at all to alive in freezing wind (which you'd be prepared for before you slept outdoors in winter....), and one would be leaps and bounds warmer pacing around or hiking through the cold to somewhere lower in elevation or to the nearest road where you could seek help in finding a fucking jacket. Better yet, get yourself a fucking job so you can buy yourself a 0 degree sleeping bag, so you wont have to ever fucking find yourself in a hypothetical situation of winter camping with nothing but a little foil blanket.
>>
>>900507
>Because laundromats aren't guaranteed. Also, I need it for doing dishes, too.
THEN STINK FOR A LITTLE BIT UNTIL YOU GET TO THE NEXT FUCKING TOWN WHERE YOU CAN WASH YOUR FUCKING CLOTHES. YOU WON'T LAST 20 FUCKING MILES ON FOOT CARRYING AROUND "DISHES", NEEDLESS BUCKETS, OR EVEN A SECOND PAIR OF CLOTHES.
>>
File: 43930017.jpg (62KB, 700x874px) Image search: [Google]
43930017.jpg
62KB, 700x874px
>>900509
>If you puncture that thing once, it's total garbage.
how

+The airtight foil reduces convection

+Heat loss caused by evaporation of perspiration, moisture or loss of blood is minimized by the same mechanism

+To a limited extent the reflective surface inhibits losses caused by thermal radiation.
>>
>>900511
Where I'm going, laundromats aren't guaranteed in towns either.
>>
>>900513
>how
DRIVING TENT STAKES INTO IT? IT'S NOT GOING TO HOLD UP TO WIND WITH ROCKS ON THE CORNERS...

Good luck m8. If you ever actually need a foil blanket, you've already needlessly put yourself into a dangers but completely avoidable situation. Go ahead and take a 2$ mylar blanket outdoors next month with nothing more than your daily outdoor clothing, wrap yourself with the foil garbage, and see how long it takes before you shiver.

It takes 10 hours to die of hyperthermia at 32 degrees, and that's naked. The sun will be up by then, or better yet, START A FUCKING FIRE.
>>
>>900515
If you're serious about being homeless and living out in the woods eating fish, washing your clothes with anything more than your local stream will be the last of your worries. If you really think you can afford extra lbs of washing equipment, then more power to you.

Just FYI, any thru-hiker would call it foolish.

Good luck.
>>
>>900513
>>If you puncture that thing once, it's total garbage.
>how
it rips like thin plastic
>>
>>900519
Mylar blankets are a plan B measure that have saved numerous lives. But I guess you know better than NASA, the army and the red cross combined.
>>
>>900527
Plan B should be starting a fire. Plan C should be evacuating.

World class mountaineers, thru-hikers, etc don't bother putting themselves in situations where it would even be practical to use a mylar blanket. It's memecore.
>>
File: 503.jpg (66KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
503.jpg
66KB, 600x600px
>>900519
>DRIVING TENT STAKES INTO IT? IT'S NOT GOING TO HOLD UP TO WIND WITH ROCKS ON THE CORNERS...

open your eyes: this picture shows something different. maybe you did it wrong...

>>900522
>it rips like thin plastic

I dont think so. >>900506
>>
>>
>>900478

Get whatever size of pic related fits in the bottom of your pack snugly so you dont lose too much space.
>>
File: ffshaters.jpg (49KB, 576x470px) Image search: [Google]
ffshaters.jpg
49KB, 576x470px
>>
File: Screenshot_20161126-234739.jpg (384KB, 1380x781px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161126-234739.jpg
384KB, 1380x781px
>>900548

Forgot picture.
>>
>>900478
All the haters are correct... for them!

A collapsible basin is very handy: for larger groups, for a dog water bowl, hygiene, convenience.

Rivers aren't everware. I have a smaller one I mostly used for my dog before she died. I also have used a gold pan that doubles as a,a... gold pan.

Items are easier to justify their weight when you can multipurpose them.
>>
>>900531
>toss $2 for a 1 ounce mylar blanket
>suddenly cozy beside plan B fire
>dry windproof layer to cut windchill while you stablize your balls from immediate hypothermia after climbing out of the frozen lake you fell in.

Nobody notices a single ounce friendo; that's less than the weight you piss out every morning. Survival is all about having options, and if $2 and 1oz pack weight increases my SHTF survival odds by even 1%, I'm gonna put it in my pack.

Hike your own hike.
>>
>>900623
Seriously. Shading on space blankies is really shortsighted.

If a burgerbuck weighs 1 gram, 28 doll hairs is an ounce. Getting agitated over that kind of insurance is frothing at the mouth autistic.
>>
>>900501
Fucking stupid. I bet you take a wind up radio and road flares to go with your rape whistle.
>>
>>900620
>dog water bowl, hygiene
wtf
>>
>>900542
>Gollum
>Using meme blankets
>>
>>900478
Just go on the fucking trip. Stop thinking about all the gear you'll 'need' that you probably won't use once.
>>
>>900680
wat
>>
File: yes.jpg (49KB, 550x325px) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
49KB, 550x325px
>>900681
these blankets are a globally accepted basic emergency item you ignorant tool
>>
File: N.jpg (427KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
N.jpg
427KB, 600x600px
>the mylar is strong with this one
>>
>>900620
>doubles as a,a... gold pan.
maximumkek.jpg
>>
get one of these things, they're called Z Seat.
>>
File: IMG_7823-1024x576.jpg (223KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7823-1024x576.jpg
223KB, 1024x576px
>>900760
>>
File: laughingowl.jpg (50KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
laughingowl.jpg
50KB, 500x375px
>>900478
$200 says OP doesn't make it 200 miles from his house! HAHA! WASH BASIN AND MYLAR BLANKETS. AHAHAHAHAHAA. GOOD LUCK! BWHAHAHAHAA
>>
>>900504
They won't keep you comfortable, but they'll go a long way to keep you alive in a bad situation.
>>
>>900765

Anywhere the blanket touches you will siphon heat out of you. The reflective properties are only if there's an insulated layer of air around you.

Light layers in 30F with a mylar touching you will kill you eventually.
>>
>>901060
That's why you wear fucking clothes.
>>
>>901073
kek. Top meme.
>>
>>901073
>wearing clothes

FILTHY FUCKING CASUALS

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WEIGHT THAT WOULD ADD?

Real hikers don't put themselves in situations where they need clothes

I bet you won't even make it 200 miles from your house kid
>>
>>901207
I don't have a house. No clothes and no fear.

I am naked and not afraid!
>>
>>900680
Just boil the water and clean it out. You can even clean your girl's diva cup in them.

Also, are mylar blankets loud af? They look like they would be super crunchy.
>>
>>900478
how is this essential? you just use water and some vegetation as a scrubber.

a rain poncho is essential
>>
File: 1478704218157.jpg (46KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
1478704218157.jpg
46KB, 600x588px
>>900478
god damnit i was hoping for some epic geeky gadgets, but its all just god damn tinfoil meme paper.
>>
>>904084
Same
>>
>>900478

Helps if you give us a list in first post. So ppl know what you're retarded ass has.

So I suggest you pack a rope, so you can make hang yourself.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.