[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MYOG Thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: tmp_4586-complete3978167189.jpg (680KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4586-complete3978167189.jpg
680KB, 700x1000px
How does REI and other "outdoor" retailers keep getting away with gouging customers? I think LNT and it's (unintentional?) message of consumerism over self-reliance is partially to blame.

http://sandiegomitch.com/backpacking.html
>>
>>898236
You planning to do that?
>>
>>898236
How do they keep price gouging? Through corporate loyalty programs. You would not believe how many people shop atREI and pay full price because they think it's something greater than just another store.

Also, well yea, LNT requires you to have your own gear. If every visitor to national parks did bushcrafting horseshit, camp areas would be trashed.
>>
>>898236
Good luck with the new MYOG thread; my last one went ok but the next iteration will be on /diy/. How much sewing XP you got, Opie? I ask because backpack is a pretty daunting task if you're new at sticking fabric together with thread.
>>
File: 1458276736997.gif (2MB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
1458276736997.gif
2MB, 300x315px
>>898236
>leave no trace drives consumerism
what the actual shit are you talking about? you think lnt is the reason people desire a 100% weatherproof shelter that deploys in <90 seconds over having to spend hours building something of questionable integrity out of sticks, mud, and leaves every time they want to stop?

also
>retailers are the biggest influence on a products price
that would be the manufacturer, dipshit.
>>
>>898368
>Arguing with a LNT retard
>>
>>898236
Thought the guy in the link was decent enough until...
>Everything is for sale at a price. If you want to buy the pack pictured, I'll sell it at $250

What a fucking moron. Yet he whines about these $450 ultralight bags. Hot tip for you, bud. Anything over 300 is diminishing returns.
>>
>>898397
>not realizing this was intentional to encourage people to make their own
otherwise how many retards would have tried to offer him $40 for it thinking they're generous since he spent $30 on materials.
>>
>>898378
> I can't refute your point so therefore I will resort to name-calling

I bet you were the captain of your debate team in high school weren't you?
>>
>>898378
i'm just befuddled because i've never heard that argument before, and i see no logic in it. if he had said ul he'd have a case, but claiming lnt is just baffling to me.
>>
File: 1466522006476.png (277KB, 598x369px) Image search: [Google]
1466522006476.png
277KB, 598x369px
>>898236
>How does REI and other "outdoor" retailers keep getting away with gouging customers?

Do you really need this explained to you?

Take your faggy shit to >>/diy/
>>
what a piece of hipster shit. No thanks hipster fag, i'm not a poorfag that needs to make his own shit. I'm sticking with my 360 dollar Windrider pack
>>
>>898413
Hes just virtue signalling
>>
>>898334
not OP but willing to talk MYOG. To be honest, even if you don't make your own, it is invaluable to be able to repair and alter your equipment.

Not to bash the IKEA pack (those things are the shit in town, never break) I just don't see it as the best material. It has exceptional tensile strength- something you don't really need for an ultralight pack. It isn't waterproof or fray proof and I feel like once you busted through a few strands it'd start to come apart pretty quickly. That's just my opinion. Wish the blogger would post more about it's performance.
>>
>>898662
I'm guessing he didn't choose the Ikea bags because they were the best quality material out there it was more of an excercise in can it be done with my sewing skills. I doubt he's going to be taking that thing with him on the AT or the PCT. He repurposed something using his skill set, pretty cool.
>>
>>898673
You changed your tense there motherfucker.
>I'm guessing he didn't .... an excercise in can it be done with my sewing skills
Thinly veiled attempt at talking up your own bullshit, can't even talk the talk when it comes down to it.

don't shill you overpriced bullshit here motherfucker. I see you trying to sell that shit on reddit. you can fuck off with your $230 pack.

...fucking coming in here talking about LNT and shit. goddamn.
>>
>>898662
I was OP of last MYOG bread. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but you have to bear in mind that /out/ anymore is composed mainly of shit and cancer. Keyboard warriors trying to troll whoever will take the b8. Armchair survivalists who would rather circlejerk over what gear best shows how badass they could look if they ever actually went outside. Then there are the elitists, who circlejerk about how much cooler they are than everyone else. Then you've got the richfags who label anything thrifty or diy as 'plebian' because they think with their egos. It's okay; trolls gonna troll, neckbeards gonna neckbeard, elitists gonna elite, richfags gonna richfag. They'll all live their lives, just as we'll live ours. Thing is, we can make and fix our own kit; they're stuck relying on others to do these things for them. Self reliance is its own reward.
>>
File: cl.png (108KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108KB, 228x221px
>>898689
>attention whore tripfag
>complaining about shit and cancer
>mfw
>>
>>898368
>>898684
Calm down.

The autism on this board is astounding sometimes.
>>
>>898662
>it is invaluable to be able to repair and alter your equipment.
I agree with this. I was thinking about getting a milsurp jacket and other clothing and alter it. There's plenty of how to vids in youtube. For instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZs8VS4SCoY
>>
I'll be going WWOOF'ing in Japan for a year, and kinda hope to hook up with a host that has its own forge. I'd love to learn how to smith blades and other useful gear.
>>
>>898378
Eat it, bushcrafter. Keep trashing our public lands.
>>
File: 1464513015292.jpg (200KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1464513015292.jpg
200KB, 850x1100px
>>898829
Implying he'll share his ancient knowledge with you pale swine
>>
>>898692
Look at the keyboard warrior, everyone. Look and laugh at its vitriol.

Go ahead and find a post with this trip in another thread, faggot, i dare you. When you find it, come on back and cry about it some more. You don't like tripfags? Lrn2filter.
>>
>>898833
I can be very persuasive. And I'll be bringing European alcohol.
>>
>>898841
Grorious European alcohol, distilled a thousand times.
>>
File: TOPKEK.jpg (4KB, 240x144px) Image search: [Google]
TOPKEK.jpg
4KB, 240x144px
>>898837
>briefly point out hypocrisy
>tripfag loses shit
lol. i love how fragile you egotistical babies are.
>>
>>898837
Why do you wear the trip?
>>
I've always got a few ideas for backpacks kicking around my head/notebooks, I figure one of these days I'll make a go of it.

Lately I've been interested in using engineered lumber for framing/support. Similar to what Fjallraven and Granite Gear have been messing around with.
>>
>>898872
4u
>>
File: knife meme.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
knife meme.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>898720
people here completely sperg out about the stupidest shit. it's almost as bad as /r9k/. pic related.
>>
>>898300
I work for park service and most trashing comes from hikers. 90% of them don't clean up after themselves. themselves. They love stealing rocks from river beds to make stupid statues. They love cutting down fresh saplings to make stupid chairs with rocks. They let trash blow away in the wind and consider it out of sight out of mind. Bushcrafters go disperse camping. They wouldn't bother your campsites. And maybe 1 out of 50 them of them are autistic enough to build muh super shelter and other permanent shit.
>>
>>898368
>100% weatherproof shelter that deploys in <90 seconds

what are you referring to here? new to the board and all i've done is single day hiking but i want to learn more shit.
>>
>>899835

>I work for park service

Kill yourself you parasite
>>
>>899835
yep. I used to go to Shenandoah NP until I got sick of this shit. Every cockhole with a new internet axe just comes in a fucks shit up. When you're keyed into it, and know what a sparsely traveled un-fucked with forest looks like, it's obvious how fucked a place like SNP is.

It's an attitude thing, and a lack of perspective. They don't see setting up new campsites when there's an established one as a bad thing. When they're hiking they don't see that when everyone makes their own site, that it's hideous when there's old fires and trampled undergrowth. To them they're practicing essential skills, and nature is bountiful and will provide. To them, they're alone and that trash they're throwing out/burying/burning is a drop in an ocean. All I can say is, I hope they stay contained in shitty parks and leave the majority of wildernesses alone.

Bushcrafting isn't inherently bad, same with heavily traveled parks. There's just this breed of idiots that fuck shit up.
>>
>>899874
they're this new thing called "tents". and i know i'm going to be accused of being a shill, but everyone should try one. they're fucking amazing and will rewrite how you go /out/.
>>
>>899980
Tents are for pussies. Real men sleep in the rain.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.