[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kayaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: Shark-Kayak.jpg (87KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
Shark-Kayak.jpg
87KB, 600x420px
I'm an inexperienced cityboy from europe and I am thinking about doing a Kayak tour down the Donau.

If it's feasable, how long would it take me to get to the black sea from viena?

Any paddlers could give some advice?

Please no bully.
>>
>>897899
You mean the Danube?

Actually, regardless of the river - if you're traveling from Vienne, Austria to the Black Sea you're in for a multi-week excursion. I mean just based on Google Maps I'm seeing it's ~500 miles from Vienne to the Black Sea if you travel a straight line, but this river winds and turns all over the place so your trip will be significantly longer than 500 miles.

You'd also be traveling across country boarders. I don't pay attention to world affairs so I don't know how kindly your neighboring countries will take to a foreign city boy.

Sorry, anon - based on your lack of experience and your self-declared "City Boy" status it doesn't look like this is feasible for you at this time.
>>
>>897899
well i would never go under serbia.
the people down there are actually worse than gypsies.
>>
>>897918
i guess it's called Danube. It's roughly 1000 miles and I'm guessing it might take me about 8 weeks.

I'm a German citizen so there wouldn't be many difficulties with visas and stuff in those countries.
>>
>>897924
also you have to paddle along state borders a fucking lot, that will cause some problems for you in these days.
>>
>>897925
Are you planning to go alone or with mates? If with mates, I'd say this should be a fun 8 weeks. If alone, I'd say get some more experience under your belt before you go it alone.
>>
>>897927
>Serbia
Yep, I changed my mind from >>897929. That's a big "No!" for me too!
>>
>>897924
t. filthy mudslim
>>
File: should-have.png (352KB, 400x537px) Image search: [Google]
should-have.png
352KB, 400x537px
>>897939
u wot m8?
>>
>>897924
>>897933
What's the problem with Serbia?
I know that they will try and steal your car, but that won't be a problem for me.
I guess the balkans have gotten more weary of travelers because of all the refugees but other then that I don't see a particular problem.
>>
>>897929
I was planning to go alone, but I might look for people to join, it's actually part of a larger trip I am planning.
I was inspired by a german guy who paddled 2500 km from southern germany to the black sea in 30 days who had never been in a kayak before.
How hard can it actually be?
>>
>>897945
A couple things:
>Kayaking is more about persistence than power. If you find yourself having trouble getting to a particular destination it's better to keep a slow and steady pace than it is to waste your strength and, in your case, risk straining something.
>Bring at least 2 methods of signaling for help. Whistles are usually required for boating, but I'd also bring a cell-phone telephone and walkies for any companions you bring along.
>Life-vest. Always, and especially in waters foreign to you.
>Bring some docking rope. 3 individual lengths of 7.5-meter long docking rope
>Speaking of doubling up, remember this addage when considering your gear loadout: "Two is one, one is none." Assume your primary choice of gear will fail because when it does you'll be glad you brought a spare, especially when it's a broken paddle.

And I'll urge you once more - please get some more experience under your belt before undertaking this trip. You'll thank yourself in the long run to learn balance, recovery, and how the kayak handles in both calm and choppy waters.
>>
>>897959
I am definitely gonna take some lesson and read up on the river beforehand.
I am still a bit worried about floodgates and about the policies of sailing a river that functions as a border between two nations.
>>
>>897943
it's what's beyond serbia is the problem
>>
>>897967
>I am definitely gonna take some lesson and read up on the river beforehand.
You don't need lessons, just get in the water and don't stray far from your launch point. There's no better teacher than Professor Experience.
>>
>>897968
could you be a little less vague? Beyond Serbia is a huge place ya know
>>
>>897980
well if you go by the river it's only romania and bulgaria
>>
>>897941
t. Ahmed al Islington
>>
>>897982
and what are the dangers there except for gypsy thieves and bears? Just curious.
>>
>>897967
>I am still a bit worried about...the policies of sailing a river that functions as a border between two nations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DG7eKYB0s4
>>
>>898022
kek

this is probably how it's gonna go down
>>
>>897997
population density of aformentioned
>>
>>898168
oh and anti personnel mines from the balkan wars
if you find a nice chill place in serbia/croatia where there are no locals, there is a very good reason for it.
>>
>>897973
I'd recommend him to get a lecture or two under his belt before venturing off alone.
He needs to know _what_ he needs to do in case he tips over but indeed only experience can teach him _how_.
See the lessons as a way to get a few tricks and pointers instead of starting from absolutely nothing and hope he figures out things when they happen.
>>
>>898176
well for starters as you travel pas austria you can forget about people you meet speaking any foreign language. german maybe, definitely no english.
>>
>>898201
>you can forget about people you meet speaking any foreign language. german maybe, definitely no english
What is this, USSR? Dude nowadays everyone and their mothers speak at least a broken english.
>>
>>897918
>>897927
Burgers don't know bout my Schengen
>>
>>898203
not down there no
i went to bulgary a year or two ago and in a very busy tourist district i could barely find 2 people that spoke english. 1 was the girl at the reception but even her preferred german. hungary is only marginally better. in slovenia tho everyone and their mother spoke english totally different world.
>>
>>898205
>retard that is clueless about what's happening at these borders right now.
cold war level border control sans machine guns (for now) volunteers patrol the borders and report any unusual movement to the authorities. people being suspicious as fuark calling the police on hikers and journalists.
>>
>>898205
>Schengen
There's no such thing with Serbia tho. So you should know your facts before shit talk Americans.

t. Euro
>>
>>898210
that too, serbia is not part of schengen and bulgaria and croatia are also only signing partners not members not to fucking mention ukraine (danube delta).
>>
>>898206
I didn't even know people in the balkans speak german. That is good news for me
>>
>>898207
Is some dude kayaking on the danube really raise that much suspicion?

OP here, the damn refugee crisis really makes me consider just backpacking along the Adriatic sea instead.
>>
>>898220
>damn refugee crisis
that shit fucked everything for us Euros and in the future it will fuck even more because harsher laws will be implemented you can bet that.
In Bulgaria they have people like Dinko hunting rapefugees. If you're the stereotypical German you will have no problem though, just have your ID and a few copies just in case.
>>
>>898206
That's really not true I've been down to Croatia and most people there spoke English very well
>>
Just hike the Grand Canyon rim to rim.

Not in Merka? Kayak to Merka.

t. Less mudslime, better views.
>>
>>898243
aha
>>
>>898243
>Less mudslime
If that's a concern then OP just need to cross the border and he is set.

>Based Poland
Keep doing the God's work, Pavels.
>>
my parents got a couple of kayaks but they are effing heavy to carry on my back over somewhat big distances... is there a go-to brand of kayak that is favored on this board? hopefully less expensive than a fucking small car.
>>
>>898241
croatia maybe at tourist trap locations i can see that. these northwest parts of balkans are totally different than the east. slovenia is almost like western europe croatia not as good but better than the rest.
>>
>>898359
>Slovinia
>Dewesoft home base

Based Slovinia. 10/10 would /out/.
>>
>>898367
slovenia was beautiful.
but after a few days i got this cramped feel from the fuckhuge mountains so steep you can only go to the top by helos covering the sky all around.
it was a bit claustrophobic.
>>
File: $_3.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>898328
I bought a $50 kayak caddie
>>
Hungarian here, be careful with regulations at least here in my country.

I am actually not sure if it is legal here to kayak everywhere on the Danube. There are huge ships travelling back and forth, and if you aren't careful enough, you can get fucked up by them. There is actual water police that might force you out of water.

When you enter Hungary, take the "small Danube" route around Szigetkoz, it looks longer because it is curvy but it's worth it. It is a common paddling route, the scenery is nice. Downside is that the local citizens on the island don't really like tourists. There are a fuckton of mosquitos especially after floods. Get drunk and use DEET to repel them.
>>
>>898944
the rules are simple
>need to be over 16
>can't be drunk (absolutely no alcohol or drugs)
>can't go closer to any cables than 50m
>can't cross a ships path within 1-1.5km
>can't paddle at night
>can't overload the boat
>can't stand up in the boat
>>
>>898500
does that come with a purse anon
>>
>>898965
Hey now, this guy gets me, my yak, and my lunch to the boat ramp just fine.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.