[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 1465282387993.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1465282387993.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Does anyone in /out/ have experience with car camping?

I'm going to be going on roadtrip through the west coast states and am mostly going to be sleeping in the back of my SUV. This way I can save money and not have to invest in and store extra gear. Besides, I just like my truck.

The big thing I'm wondering is what I should be looking for in campsites. All of the park sites I've looked at so far only list RV and trailer parking and sites for tents. Is it okay to park my bring my truck into a spot for RVs and use that?
>>
You don't need to go to a campsite if you plan on camping in your vehicle. Just go to a lot/dirt patch or a Walmart.

t. someone that car camped around America last year. I didn't sleep in my car though. I would camp in the woods near where I parked or ask a farmer if I can camp on his land. They 99% of the time will have no problem and even offer you as hot meal.
>>
>>897848
I figured in places like Yosemite they'd have a stick up their ass about that sort of thing and want me to use a campsite though.
>>
>>897845

RV parks can be pretty segregated from the rest of the world. Some have rules on how old your RV can be, some only let Class A types in, etc. I'd bet 90% of them wouldn't let you sleep in your truck.

Have you ever seen semi trucks parked on the side of the road just outside of city limits? Be like those guys. Look into staying on BLM lands. Look into a 48 state gym membership, there you can S/S/S. Starbucks will get you wifi and has 12,000 locations across the US. Those two places alone will handle most of your needs.

Buying a campsite every night would add up quickly for costs, RV sites are even more expensive than tent sites. Maybe splurge for it at special locations (national parks or big cities), but there is a lot of free camping to be had out there.

>>897856

Park outside of the actual park grounds in places like that.
>>
>>897859
I appreciate your advice a lot. I was planning to only set myself up with a campsite at special locations like you mentioned and MAYBE a hotel in big cities for a warm shower and bed every week or two. Going to be doing it the way of the trucker often. I've done it before.

The gym membership thing is a great idea, I'll have to think about that. Won't Starbucks try and ban me from their lot if I set up there, or are you just talking about chilling on the wifi for a bit?
>>
>>897856
>yosemite
yes, they do have a stick up there ass about it (justfiably, because there are too many people there anyways). rangers specifically patrol for people sleeping in their cars, and it's an easy $150 ticket. even more if they can see food in your car (they'll hit you for illegal food storage on top of illegal camping). don't even try within about 20 minutes of the park borders, because even outside the park usfs rangers are on the lookout.
>>
>>897896
Ticket for Illegal food storage...

Home of the fre- wait a minute...
>>
>>897896
I'll keep it in mind and find a solution. Thanks for helping me solve one mystery. Think it'll be too crowded in late March? It's spring, sure, but it's not exactly peak season either.
>>
File: 9999087.jpg (45KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
9999087.jpg
45KB, 512x384px
>>897866

yeah, just checking email and posting updates or whatever for a few minutes. not sitting there for 8 hours without buying anything. you know there are more options than starbucks though, just giving you ideas.

>>897898

>bear smells greasy americans campsite
>bear breaks into car to get delicious twinkies
>bear forgets about natural food sources
>only looks for car food and becomes aggressive
>bear has to be put down

nobody wins. keep your shit locked up or fuck off.
>>
>>897919
>nobody wins. keep your shit locked up or fuck off.
This. It's a very sensible law.

But yeah, I thought that's what you meant. I'll probably end up utilizing it in that sense some.
>>
File: 1467588857804.jpg (563KB, 1111x642px) Image search: [Google]
1467588857804.jpg
563KB, 1111x642px
>>897845
Stick to parking lots like hotels or Walmart, otherwise you're alien bait. Trust me.
>>
>>897845
National Parks are going to require you top use a campsite, but National Forest land you can camp for free in one spot for up to two weeks.

freecampsites.net is a pretty good resource for finding spots as it's all user submitted.
>>
What about motorcycle camping? Not OP.
>>
Im thinking about doing the same thing but on the east coast. Sounds like parking lots and rest stops are go to sleeping areas.
>>
File: greatgallery.jpg (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
greatgallery.jpg
3MB, 1920x1080px
Essentially all BLM and USFS land is available for dispersed camping. If you're anywhere near land owned by those agencies you can usually find free camp spots with no amenities. I routinely car camp out of my Nissan Xterra. I have a sleeping platform in the back. It's the bees knees.
>>
>>898092
Hello manlet
>>
>>897845
the thing you really need to worry about are farts
>>
>>898154
Was thinking about this, wondering how viable it would be to have a small fan that can vent air out, was thinking it could be tucked up under the rear between the spare wheel well and bumper but idk how to keep it free from dirt and bugs
>>
>>898735
between the bumper and spare wheel

Or you could just install a vent fan on the roof like a normal person.
>>
>>898735
OP here. Just wanted to clear that up because this post is embarrassing. Crack a window or two, use some bug net, and if you really want to circulate air position a fan. Come on.
>>
>>898039
wwwwaaaait a minute, isn`t that the spaceship that exploded? more information please
>>
>>899237
... it blew up.
>>
>>899237
It's part of a tinfoil hat theory that the Challenger crew is actuallynalive and NASA covered it up for.......no good reason.
>>
File: IMG_9973.jpg (41KB, 564x771px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9973.jpg
41KB, 564x771px
>>899237
Not only do the challenger crew look like the older people in the pics but.... they also share the same name as older people in pics.
My tinfoil is thick.
>>
>>901159
Well that's partly because two of them are actually siblings of two of the astronauts so it stands to reason they'd have similar names and facial features.
>>
>>897866

Suv camping is great, specially in the winter. Just find any national forest that doesn't have overnight restrictions or posted signs and go for it.

I take my couch cushions and blankets and I'm snug & safe. I also bring a Catholic candle or whatever for light.
>>
>>897896
I've slept in my truck in the lodge parking lot. Just gotta be up early
>>
>>898039
after studying this photo for a long time, i'm pretty sure it's fake. Face shapes and teeth/smiles are pretty different.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.