[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking boots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: wild.jpg (124KB, 973x545px) Image search: [Google]
wild.jpg
124KB, 973x545px
been using boots from the swedish military til now, a 1 layer leather boot but they went missing recently

now i need to buy me a new pair of boots for the first time and what should i think about? from what i hear and read online, gore tex and such are a big no-no though 90 % of available boots are gtx.
and the rest are twice the price.
>>
pic is somewhat relevant

watched "Wild" some weeks ago, her boots are what i imagined boots purposed for hiking and walking would look like
>>
>>897417
>>894530
>>
>>897417
If you're Swedish, check out Lundhags..
>>
>>897417
>get your dirty ass boots off my dash you self absorbed cunt

Gore tex boots are just fine. They are lighter and require less care to stay water resistant than leather lined.

As for what you should think about: go try on various pairs of quality boots and pick the ones that fit you best, which means the fewest pinches or hot spots, no heel lift (go up steps if you can), and your foot should be locked in place no toes slamming into the front of the boot.

Forget people who pitch their favorite brand. There are a dozen companies making quality boots, Asolo; Meindl; Alico; Merrell; Lowa; Keenetrek; Hanwag; Sorel; Ahnu; Saloman; Scarpa; Vasque; North Face; Mammut....its a fucking lot. Stay away from Walmart brands and pick by fit.
>>
Water resistant boots are a meme. When they actually do get wet they stay wet for days. I wear breathable light weight boots that I can dry overnight by the campfire
>>
>>897463
what boots are you using?
>>
>>897463
So very tru friend. Especially in chronically damp environments, goretex is just asking for fungus, chaffing and other ailments of wetness.
>>
>>897486
I use Keen Versatrail now but had a pair of Targhee mids for almost 3 years.
>>
I still wear my standard issue army hot weather boots. Then again, I always found them decently comfortable and they never gave me blisters. I feel like I'm probably the only person that actually likes them though. They're definitely not the best boots I've ever owned but I never wore my second pair after basic and I didn't want them to go to waste.
>>
>>897417
>>897575
you are lucky for getting to keep your boots
anything else they let you keep after service?

I did my mandatory service in the Estonian army and we only got to keep our socks and underwear

would have really loved to have my trusty boots but they will serve some other bloke now
>>
>>897686
>Used boots
That sounds awful. Not OP but I served in another scandinavian army. We got to keep our boots, socks, underwear, netting undergarments, wool undergarments and beret. I also wrote a damage and loss report on a duffle bag and a uniform.
>>
>>897946
I was lucky enough to get new boots myself

Keeping your uniform was a cool move. Writing a damage and loss on that in my country would be impossible. I just bought tactical pants after my service.

I find it nice that conscripts in some countries get berets. Here you have to work in the military to be allowed to wear one.
>>
>>897974
We kind of had to work to get ours, you have to pass through helvetesuka, the week of hell, to get it.

They probably would have stopped me from writing the damage and loss report had I done it near the end of my period but I did it just after being transferred from one base to another. Just told the second lieutenant that I had one less uniform when I got there than I had when I left the other base. He kept an eye out for a spare uniform, none ever turned up and I paid a small sum for having lost it.
>>
>>897417
get yourself a pair of Lundhags. I payed around 2500kr for mine, worn them every winter for five years, more comfy than ever.
>>
>>897417

any idea what those boots in the pic are?

not for hiking, just walking close2home innawoods
>>
>>898006
Danner Mountain.

I'm not sure I'd get them as a casual walking boot. They're pretty stiff and heavy.
>>
>>897996
Which ones do you use?
>>
>>897463
>drying boots by the campfire
Those better not be leather boots nigger.
>>
>>898048
>Danner Mountain

and they were expensive af
>>
>>898048

Thanks. They're aesthetically appealing. But as >>89829 points out, quite expensive. I'm gonna look for a knockoff, haha.
>>
>>898296

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261125697
>>
>>898291
good shit
a buddy of mine worked in the Portland factory and he gave me a pair 10years ago
still have them
the American made ones are damn good boots
>>
>>897686
Samelinist saad 70€ eest need samad saapad endale igaveseks. Või vähemalt senikauaks kuni tald ära kulub.
>>
>>898456

Damn, nice. My problem with most boots, is that I wear out the soles relatively fast. I'm flat footed so I guess I walk in some strange way.
>>
>>898745
Fellow flat footed anon here, go to an orthopaedic clinic and get custom in-soles. They make a huge difference.

It helps me big time, changes the way I walk and makes it easier to carry a heavy load. I have no idea how I survived without them no. Also, yeah, being flat footed wears your soles out faster. I've noticed that quite a bit on my daily use shoes that are too small for the special in-soles.
>>
>>898754

Can you move them between shoes, or are one pair or soles made exclusively for one pair of shoes?
>>
>>898766
Depends on how they're made but the ones I have can be moved between shoes.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-23-13-17-18.png (616KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-23-13-17-18.png
616KB, 1080x1920px
>>898316
Really bugs me that gortex adds their metal logo. Makes the boot look cheap, and you have a whole in the leather for water to get in, and the logo just falls off after a while leaving two holes.
>>
>>898770

True. I'm thinking of buying them however. They seem to be pretty good for the price, and I like leather boots. Though I think that the two little holes it leaves behind are high enough up on the shaft not to be such a big burden.
>>
just a quick question, do you guys really think that id need serious "activity specific" boots to go hiking in the mountains? i have boots that are sturdy, kinda look like the clarks that someone posted here
>>
File: BEUTBEAUT.jpg (30KB, 500x472px) Image search: [Google]
BEUTBEAUT.jpg
30KB, 500x472px
>>899212
YES YOU DO. You need fucking USGI JUNGLE BOOTS MOTHERFUCKER.
>>
>>899212
If you're going hiking in the mountains then you need stiff soles, good grip and ankle support. If your boots tick those three boxes then off with you. Give them a go on a short trip first.
>>
Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX uses goretex and they are legit from what I hear.
>>
>>899339
how stiff a sole?
>>
>>899212
How much pack weight will you be carrying?
Are you going off trail? Scrambling? Side hilling? Peak bagging?
>>
>>899551

hm, not sure desu, it's my first time hiking, but i've bicycle toured before and ive packed around 40L for eight days, so I guess that plus food. I've got a 65L pack.

mostly trail walking, albeit rough trails, low brush, reindeer trails, stuff like that, I'll be hiking in Norway and Sweden.

what's peak bagging?
>>
>>899593
Peak bagging is summiting mountains of a particular altitude, region or technical level. Sort of like a bucket list.

I don't know all the brands that are available to you over in Bork-Borkistan, but if you're not doing anything technical or hard off trail I'd say look at something like the Salomon Quest or Asolo Fugitive (pic related). Something lightweight but with good torsional strength in the midsole. That way they'll break in faster and won't be as clunky for day trips, but will still have the support for carrying heavier loads on long trips.

What's really important, IMO, is to go to a store and try different boots on, even if you ultimately end up buying them online. Yuroop actually has most of the best boot companies out there so you shouldn't have trouble finding a good boot that fits you well.

Look out for heel slipping, toe bang and pressure spots. You might need to size up slightly to accommodate a thick sock and to allow for swelling, but ultimately a boot should hold you well in the heel and instep but give you a little wiggle room in the toe box (I like about one finger's space between the toe and the shoe).

>t. Former /out/fitter
>>
>>899662
this
>>
>>899307
what's up with these boots? I see them pretty cheap online, and kinda want to get a pair. Are they a bad idea for hiking and/or everyday wear?
>>
>>899733
They're a cheap Rothco chinese recreation of the combat boots they issued GIs in Vietnam.

I've owned a pair and I didn't really care for them. They were "okay" for hiking and sucked for daily wear. They've got no cushion, no arch support, no torsional strength and the outsole is luggy but it's made of hard rubber so it doesn't grip smooth surfaces well.

If you want GI style combat boots there are better, more modern options out there. Otherwise just get yourself a pair of merrell moabs if you want a good everyday/hiker combo.
>>
>>899765
Thanks for the reply. Are they absolutely shit quality or do they last some miles? It'd be nice to maybe have a backup pair of boots.
>>
>>899786
I can't say for certain because I ditched mine, but from some of the reviews I've read, durability is not their strong point.
>>
File: ObozBridgerBDry_BF8260_750x400.jpg (121KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
ObozBridgerBDry_BF8260_750x400.jpg
121KB, 750x400px
Been wearing Oboz for a couple months now, they're getting nice and broken in. I got them at an L.L.Bean and they're probably the best pair of hiking boots I've owned; only ones that haven't blistered me.
>>
>>899790
>>899786
Bummer. As I said, I'm looking for a pair of backup boots. For when my everyday ones get soaked/frozen (sometimes they stink too much and I need to give them a day or two to defunk) anyone got recommendations for something $50 range?
>>
>>899881
I dig Oboz. Got two pair myself.

I like that they're a focused /out/door footwear company and don't fart around accessories and apparel.

Do one thing but do it well.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.