[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ technology thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16

File: samsung-galaxy-s7-active-1.jpg (104KB, 647x600px) Image search: [Google]
samsung-galaxy-s7-active-1.jpg
104KB, 647x600px
This thread may involve a lot of hair splitting, but the main premise is still /out/ orientated, so I'm hoping many of you autists don't sperg out and cause trouble for your living assistances.

I just picked up the S7 active today because it's a really solid build for a phone that supports a great /out/ lifestyle. Thing is a tank with a fairly large battery to support GPS/Maps, and otherwise battery extensive apps when you're in the bush.

Got me thinking... what other technologies do you use and are built rugged and back a very active and /out/ lifestyle?
>>
>>896958
Hah, just bought myself a new phone as well. Did check out the same phone, but it's waay too expensive. Went with xiaomi redmi 3S. With 21% sales tax included only185€. Has a bit smaller battery (4100mah) but also a less demanding processor and screen so battery life is about the same. BTW the case on Samsung is retarded. Why camo a phone- it only makes it difficult to find and if you are in a military situation where camo is needed then you need to get rid of the phone anyways.

Other than that I hear it's a great phone, but mine is 3-4 times cheaper :)
>>
>>896972

You make some good points Eurofag. Good on you for finding a cheaper phone with similar specs. I opted for the slate black/grey pattern myself for a similar reason that you stated. Also your battery is only slightly larger; think the S7 Active comes in at 4,000mah.
>>
File: DSC04353-L.jpg (145KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04353-L.jpg
145KB, 800x600px
>Radio in my pack, speaker-mic on my shoulder
>GPS on the bars
>Contour on my helmet
>Charger with spare batts in my pack
>Phone in airplane mode in my pack
>PLB strapped on the outside of my pack
>Avalanche beacon on me in the winter

Phone's a few years old, but still holds good charge.
GPS, point-and-shoot camera, and my flashlight all run on 2xAA batteries.
Beacon's batteries get checked every pre-ride, and I don't let them get much below 75%. Batteries are cheap. PLB's is internal.
I have a few batteries for my radio, the high-cap packs last a solid two days of use. Weekend or 3-day rides I don't even bring the charger.
>>
>>897041
What's a plb?
>>
>>897041
Forgive my ignorance but where did you get the /out/ patch?
>>
File: DSC00631_-L.jpg (67KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00631_-L.jpg
67KB, 800x534px
>>897057
>What's a plb?
Personal Locator Beacon.
It's my oh-shit button, "Someone's about to die and I need help ASAP".

"ELT" in an airplane, or "EPIRB" on a boat... same system. Mine's activated by pressing a button instead of g-force or water immersion.

Higher transmitter power than SPOT/InReach (5W vs. 100mW? 500mW maybe?). Much better antenna for getting a signal out. Rides on COSPAS-SARSAT system which is supported and maintained by several countries/militaries worldwide instead of commercial satellite networks (Globalstar or Iridium).
And when that button's pressed, Air Force Rescue Command Center takes charge and supervises the incident - they'll look up my registration, try my phone numbers, they'll try my emergency contact phone numbers to get some info on the situation and dispatch appropriate local support (SAR, Sheriff, etc). I trust AFRCC to get shit done more than mohammed at some SPOT call center.

Doesn't have the tracking or messaging features that SPOT/InReach have though; it's only for emergency use. Just another one of those tools I carry hoping I never have to use it.

>>897061
>/out/ patch
http://outdoorpatches.tictail.com/
>>
File: 1313353106688.jpg (8KB, 133x237px) Image search: [Google]
1313353106688.jpg
8KB, 133x237px
>>897067
no West Virginia.
>>
File: k50-head.jpg (75KB, 559x185px) Image search: [Google]
k50-head.jpg
75KB, 559x185px
Pentax K-50

Rugged, weather-sealed, doesn't afraid of anything. Changed muh life.
>>
Samsung galaxy xcover3. Waterproof, decent camera, big battery. It's everything including flashlight and radio in one package.
>>
>>896958
>3000-3600mAh battery
You are doing it wrong. You should have looked for a phone with a battery around 100-1500mAh, you could recharge it for days with a 10kmAh power bank.
>>
File: 44633464624.jpg (14KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
44633464624.jpg
14KB, 315x315px
I have a ton of handheld games from solitaire to fishing to racing games. I can't stand mobile app games. They're all pay to win. How is Bingo supposed to be fun when somebody can just buy an instant bingo for $0.99?
>>
File: 220px-BIC_lighter_2008-12-31.jpg (11KB, 220x325px) Image search: [Google]
220px-BIC_lighter_2008-12-31.jpg
11KB, 220x325px
>>
File: 180501577589.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
180501577589.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>897272
d-do you have Space Fight by any chance?
>>
>>896958

I need a good portable word processor tablet with battery life & that I can use a small keyboard. My handwriting is ultra shit.
>>
>>897383
Work on your handwriting faggot
>>
>>897271

Well i'm glad this guy knows more than the entire R&D industry at every major tech company in existence...
>>
>>897485
Let me guess, you actually think there's a thing like a waterproof and breathable fabric? Casuals like yourself need to go out more and experience before posting.
>>
>>897606
yeah, it's called a goretex shell and wool mid-layer you stupid poor person
>>
>>897606

>what is neoprene
>>
>>897067
not that guy, but are these patches velcro or iron/sew-on?
>>
>>897271
Please don't post anymore. What you said is retarded.

>>897383
Almost every modern smartphone with bluetooth supports HID profile, and bluetooth "media center" keyboards are pretty cheap (and usually have a touchpad with them).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096M8VR2/

>>897630
Sew-on. No adhesive or velcro backing.
>>
>>897621
IMO goretex is a meme. Very efficient at blocking water coming in (rain/snow), but doesn't breathe at all when I hike the whole day, even on snow. I don't even sweat that much normally. Maybe other people have different impressions but personally I'm disapointed.
>>
>>897873
A shell with waterproof zippers is what you need anon. Had one in the army that could open a long stretch on the side, as well as ones that also worked as pockets. Open when too warm, closed otherwise.
>>
>>896972
>21% sales tax

Samsung Luna at $100 + 10.1% last Friday. 21% is rape.

Like it better that my old Samsung Centura, except for the larger size. The Centura was easy in my pick. The Luna charges slowly and has no memes on it yet.

> tfw I miss my memes
>>
the other day i kept getting further and further off the trail and i had a moment of panic where i thought i was lost, hyperventilating and shit so i figure i should carry something to prevent that from happening again... what should i get, i have to say i haven't looked into this at all yet.
>>
>>898336
A fucking handgun, dumbass.
>>
>>898336
A map?
A compass?

Learn to orient first and get a sense of direction
>>
>>898345
yea i thought of getting at least a compass and check some videos to figure how to use it properly. i haven't gone deep enough in the bush to need topo map but maybe that will come handy one of these days. by the way i live in one of those rare places where there is no signal for mobile phones... shit yesterday i saw a short documentary on chinese millenials who chose to become mountain hermits and even over there these fuckers had signal! anyways
>>
>>898347

is there a tech gizmo to act as a "digital trail of bread crumbs" ? that could be practical to leave beacons in strategic locations an i could check on my gizmo where they are at, how far etc.
>>
File: 1453012511082.jpg (225KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1453012511082.jpg
225KB, 1920x1080px
>>897041
The fucking droid maxx gen. 1 is an amazing /out/ phone.

>Battery lasts forever
I can get 3 days with normal use between charges (mine is 3 years old, and nothing out there today is an updated version, I would have to lose functionality in at least one area).

>Charges to 60% in an hour, 100% in 2
>Bright ass screen
>Pretty good connection
>great external speaker

Cons:
>Shit camera
>Tiny un-expandable storage
(they only offer 32GB models for less than a year, I had to get the 16GB model)

>Still pretty bright at night
You need to install flux to keep it from keeping you up at night, but your night-vision is still pretty much fucked.

That said, I'm new to /out/.
What is that trackerz device (google only gives me rappers)?
What is the Contour scope looking thing?
>>
>>898349

yes, its called a gps
>>
>>898360
>>897041

Nvm, I figured out the Tracker2 is an avalanche beacon locator, and the Contour is a butane lighter.
>>
File: i-phkQM6q-L.jpg (90KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-phkQM6q-L.jpg
90KB, 800x600px
>>898360
Droid Ultra; 32GB. Camera's not half bad, not near what my Nikon can do but for a couple-year-old smartphone it's breddy gud.

You're correct on the avalanche beacon part, but the butane lighter part made me audibly kek. It's a helmet camera (Contour Roam).
>>
File: i-jZCVFRs-L.jpg (182KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-jZCVFRs-L.jpg
182KB, 799x600px
>>898349
Most "trail"/handheld GPS's can do this. Even my ancient GPS12 did that (up to 1024 track points, which I'd fill in about half a day). Anything built after Y2K will have enough track memory to go all day, if not several days (76Cx I use now has 10k point track memory, but it writes a copy to the SD card as well so for all intents and purposes, infinite).

No idea what you're talking about by "beacons", but a waypoint is a point in space... and again, nearly any receiver can calculate direction and distance to that point.
>>
>>898183
I bought a marmot precip but haven't being able to test it properly. It has the specs you are recommending. I'm hoping it works.
>>
>>898563
How's the battery life on the Ultra II? It was the closest thing to the Maxx.
>>
File: IMG_20151125_140919357-L.jpg (111KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151125_140919357-L.jpg
111KB, 800x451px
>>898596
I got it because of the 3400? 3800? mAh battery. Big battery, compared to the other phones available at the time.
Really wish it had a µSD slot, otherwise i've been quite happy with it. Had it for ~2.5 years now.
Been using it all day today (normal use, nothing too crazy... 4chins a few times through the day, usual calendar/emails, alarms, couple texts, several phone calls this afternoon, pandora streaming in the truck... battery's still at 67%.

I do like that it'll charge off just about anything - Samsungs don't like to charge off anything but their own chargers, and Apple... I won't go there.
Built a 16-port USB charger about a year ago and the controller chip I used in there works with Samsung and iShit. But to plug into any computer port, wall jack in an airport, whatever, and just have it work? Yeah I like that.

Get 2 or 3 guys in the truck, everyone's got a phone, tablet, GPS, radio, camera, gopro, whatever else that charges off USB... those ports disappear fast.
>>
>>897080
i was thinking of ordering this camera, but the fact that its like 3 years old worries, is it still a good choice?
>>
>>898627
Well brüv their new models are the K-70 and the K-S2. Both are weather-sealed like the K-50 but have more megapickles. They're a lot more expensive though because they're new and the K-50 is from like 2014. I think for the money the K-50 is still a great option. If you're the kinda guy who wants to buy the newest thing in hopes of longevity, go for the K-70 or K-S2. I'll probably be happy with my K-50 for the next 10 years tho.
>>
>>898634
nah i don't care about the newest model, just as long as it is a good quality camera/not crippling myself. i don't really know much about cameras so i didn't know if the megapixels were good or not. thanks bud i think i'm going to pull the trigger
>>
File: IMG_20160327_135325578-XL.jpg (79KB, 433x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_135325578-XL.jpg
79KB, 433x768px
>>898636
Megapixels is generally there for marketing; more doesn't mean better. Stupid people don't know any better.
The optics you put in front of the sensor makes a bigger difference than the sensor itself. Shitty glass, shitty image.
A bigger sensor with bigger pixels (usually translates to fewer megapixels) is better at grabbing photons, which means it'll work better in low-light. It's why my 6mp point-and-shoot is better than my 8mp cameraphone, the P&S's sensor is over 10x the surface area of my phone.
My Nikon's only a 12mp sensor, body's about 6 years old. Snap a good lens on the front and it'll take great shots.

K50's a great camera. There's newer stuff out there, but if you're just getting into /p/eeing, used gear holds its value real well while you figure out what you really want.
>>
File: IMGP8293.jpg (288KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8293.jpg
288KB, 1000x662px
>>898636
Noice. I don't see any possible way you'll ragret it. And the fact that you can let it get full legit rained on makes it the best /out/ choice for the price, imho
>>
>>898566

yea .. hiking is a new thing for me so i haven't really thought of that: i never hear gps talks and never read about that , but i have heard of it before cell phones were a thing from amateur prospectors . i wonder if you write up some description on a waypoint on a gps is this information stored only on your device or it's open to everyone? i have just started to read about this.
>>
File: i-Vmp3XD2-L.jpg (142KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-Vmp3XD2-L.jpg
142KB, 799x600px
>>898653
That's why I do presentations on using GPS innawoods.

Generally, that data's stored and used locally. Some phone apps (Google Maps comes to mind, when you "star" a location) let you share those locations with others, but you usually have to set that up beforehand.

>Waypoints, >pic related
>Routes, an array of waypoints, "connect-the-dots" style. I don't use these often, don't know many people that do.
>Tracks, that digital bread-crumb trail you're talking about. Not routable, but that path doesn't depend at all on the mapset you have installed.
>>
>>898649
>>898647
thanks boys, i got the k50, i just had a couple questions. when i move the camera side to side, it makes a noise and it seems like something is moving, even when its on. is that normal? its a brand new camera
>>
>>899783
my other question was i can't get the display info screen to stop flashing. I checked the manual but i can't find anything specifically related to that
>>
>>899783
>>899788
why are you asking people here, on 4chan, for technical assistance on a new camera? the camera has shake reduction which moves the sensor around inside to counteract movements. also the guts in the camera are shock mounted so there's a slight jiggle to it all. and i have no idea what you specifically mean by display info screen is flashing. go through the manual, every page, and familiarize yourself with all the functions and you'll figure it all out. probably plenty of youtube videos too so you can SEE other peoples' cameras. then of course there's always the vendor from whom you bought it, as a last resort
>>
File: 12d.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
12d.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
>>899791
because someone just answered it
>>
Tech I take is my watch and my Nexus 5X for high quality photos. It's usually off and in my pack though
>>
>>899797
you solved your blinky flashy info display issue?
>>
>>899803
here's a (((you)))
>>
>>899804
i was genuinely curious
>>
Go hug each other, you angry faggots.

Also, to be relevant:
- 8 cell power bank, loaded with NCR18650Gs
- Good ol' phone, doubles as GPS
- Radio (Baofeng UV-82L)
- Astrolux S1
- A few spare batteries

Depending on how long and where I'm going, I bring out a cam and my Zoom H5 to record things. Getting an EPIRB/PLB has crossed my mind, and I might in the future.

Also foldable solar panels are cheap as piss now and provide decent power on a good day, but for now the battery bank's got me covered.
>>
>>896958
Damnit. Drowned my s5 active in a river this summer. Bought an s7 edge. Its still alive as well
>>
>>897873
You've obviously only used fake Goretex jackets from Vietnam, because real Goretex breathes fine. If you're too hot all you need to do is take off the mid-layer
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.