[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most /out/ major?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 20161015_080747.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_080747.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Uni fag here, leaning towards geology. What's /out/'s major?
>>
Women's studies.
>>
File: concert_hall.webm (1MB, 850x470px) Image search: [Google]
concert_hall.webm
1MB, 850x470px
I studied audio engineering and then acoustics, which can be very /out/ but also can be very /in/, depends on the job. Now I'm becoming an audiologist which is decidely /in/. I still go /out/ though.

IMHO poetry, english, and literature are the most /out/ majors in the long run.
>>
>>895041
im environmental studies. this summer im planning to join a conservation corps or something. after graduation, im thinking of joining the merchant marines. ive read that you can join as an ordinary seamen with no qualifications after a short training period (12 weeks of classes) that are free. seems to good to be true, but ive got a year to look into it more.
>>
is the best way to springboard into an /out/ career to join the navy? it seems like all the explorers etc were navy.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20KB, 493x402px
>>895049
cave explorers especially amirite
>>
>>895050
i have a cave you can explore ;)
>>
>>895042
Womens studies
>>
>>895041
Ecology
>>
>>895082

No, Women's studies; that which is studied by women. Stop oppressing me with your contrived scenarios that try and make you look like you understand the English language. RAPE! I'M BEING RAPED!
>>
>>895087
https://youtu.be/1u4oXXL1a5A
>>
I studied photography and now I travel the world taking photos for hotels/landmarks/national parks
>>
English, with a focus on historical Viking age literature and theatre.
>>
Serious reply OP: Forestry

I'm about to graduate and I've probably spent just about as much time outside as I have inside for class. Plus I just got offered a forest service position once I graduate.

It's seriously a very rewarding major, and you can do alot with it.
>>
>>895110

4 year degree to learn how to press a button?
Oh anon... why anon...
>>
>>895147
That's glib and you know it. Also leave anon alone, he apparently has a gainful career working as a photographer. Make fun of someone who completely sucks at 'tography but stuck it out in college for 4 years anyway and now works at Wal•Mart with no chance of ever using their degree.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (139KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
139KB, 1280x720px
Learn to drive a big rig and Log
>>
>>895156
>a big rig and Log
Well I already know how to drive a log so I guess I'm halfway there
>>
>>895084
>>895139
damn shoulda applied to ESF
>>
>>895049
maybe if it was 1735.
>>
>>895151
At least from my experience, a lot of pro photographers major in stuff like business or accounting or something to learn the basics of running your own business.

I can see where he's coming from, when you're showing off to clients a portfolio says a lot more than a degree.
>>
>>895087
Woman's Studies
>>
I didnt go to colledge, decided to start working and making money. mfw colledge kids are in debt up to there eyeballs and I own my own house and have money!
>>
>>895041
mathematics
>>
>>895301
And you can't even differentiate between "their" and "there" properly.
Awesome world we live in, no?
>>
>>895041
Geology bro, can't to wrong I absolutely love it.
>>
Biology. Get to travel a bunch!
>>
>>895316
>>895139
>>895084
OP either of these answers are correct.

I'm currently a Bio student, did an internship with the forest service last summer as a River Patrol Ranger. My school doesnt offer a focus on ecology of forestry, but I got to interact with a lot of the foresters while working with the FS.
>>
I'm a CS major right now. are there any career paths open to me that will take me /out/? Or am I fucked?
>>
Marine biology, plenty of travel and fieldwork but nowadays nobody wants field biologists, its all big datasets and modelling which isn't very /out/
>>
>>895338
this is why i changed from environmental science to environmental studies.
i changed from being stuck in labs hours a day to writing essays hours a day. but at least i can write essays outside.
pretty confident it was a bad decision in the long run but the way my lifes going, i wont be around to experience the long run anyways.
>>
>>895041
Environmental Science my dude
>>
Just realize you're never going to make money doing field research/collection - if you move up at all in the USFS or related you'll mostly be inside working with data or contracts. Which can be rewarding too.

Of course there's oil digging and shit but I don't think that's very /out/.
>>
>>895415
>Having a career that you enjoy but don't make much money
>Have a career you hate but make good money
I'll take option one every time.
>>
>>895426
At the end of the day, 99% of jobs are not fun or something you would ever be doing if it weren't paid, even if they might seem like it at first.

So, best to pick something you can tolerate and do well at, then use the money to do what you want in free time. "Passion" for work is a dumb meme - you grow into a job by wanting to do it well, which is fulfilling in a way, but no one would be clocking in anywhere if they didn't have to.
>>
>>895049
maybe. it helped my brother. id personally try AmeriCorps or just spend a month out west somewhere. navy and all that shit is 4 years of your life or more. but if it helps give you the initiative to change then go for it
>>
anyone here a wildland firefighter?

trying to figure out how to get into it
>>
>>895863
west is your best bet. dads a retired firefighter, I know that if you apply, and stick with it you can get a job. also be in good shape and be prepared for long fucking days and tough nights. its no cake walk, but its rewarding
>>
>>895041
I'm a Geo bro as well.
>>
>>895863
To get on a federal crew (which I recommend over a private contract crew) go to usajobs.gov and use"fire 0462" as your keyword and whatever state you're interested in as the location. Perform that search then to the left click the pay grade option and select grade 3. A new list of results will appear and you can see what's available. These job listings are only temporary and hiring is starting now so if you are interested in working in fire I'd recommend you create a usajobs account and start applying immediately.

Also if you do apply to a certain duty station try to find out the AFMOs work phone number and give him a call to give him your name and to let him know you're interested in working at that location. You could also ask some basic questions like if they provide housing and/or what their PT program is like. This is just a good way to make yourself standout from other applicants.
>>
>>895041
Forestry but you will be unemployed or part-time for the first 10 years of your career and will be lucky to earn 20 bucks an hour after.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.