[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask Forestry student anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

File: 20161026_074803.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161026_074803.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
Hello /out/, I am currently studying Forestry in eastern Europe. My future job will greatly deal in working /out/doors. I am bored and tired as fuck right now because I need to do shitload of math to count ammount of thickness from 1 tree in 9 different ways. Ask me stuff about nature, outdoors, and related things, and I will try to answer according to my state of knowledge.

>INB4 blogpost
It is not my intention to blogpost, pls do not ask me questions that will allow to find me IRL
>INB4 you do not know stuff
I am still learning

pic related is "underbrush vegetation level of Swamp Mixed Conifer Forest"
In my country, woods consisting conifer trees are called differently from woods consisting broad-leeved trees.
Stuff about identification different woods is called either Phytosociology (narrower) or Forest Typology (wider, but specially about forests)

also sorry for bad english, you may have to wait some time for me to reply, I am going back to counting thickness for a while
>>
>student
why do you think anyone gives a fuck what you have to say?
what can you tell me that i can't more easily google and get a better answer?
>>
File: 20161008_112347.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_112347.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>893784
Google cannot say you how shit goes on in real life. Raw data =! real life experience (although small) and personal input

also, look back to INB4 2 faggot

pic related is Birch cancer, because you are cancer, I think you will like it
>>
>>893774
>Ask Forestry student anything

What would you like to know?
>>
File: Tilia-platyphyllos-leaves.jpg (214KB, 1200x864px) Image search: [Google]
Tilia-platyphyllos-leaves.jpg
214KB, 1200x864px
>>893787
Hello mate
How much focus was put on dendrometry on your studies?
Also, are you closer to start or finishing your studies?
>>
>>893774
will you work in the Forestal Service (for the government)?
>>
>>893810
I plan on working in National Forests, it is serious business in my country, but if I fail on that because I lack connections, I will either start my own nursery-garden, or perhaps I will work as cone collector. I do not fear heights and I fuckin love nature.
>>
File: untitled.png (63KB, 160x200px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
63KB, 160x200px
>>893786
because students are experts at what really goes on, and not at regurgitating raw facts and hypotheticals that they're learning so they can pass their tests, right?

gimme a fuckin break.
>>
File: 20161009_121851.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_121851.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>893886
Are you here to shitpost anon?

Have a look at pic related. Sorry for not rotating, but not care that much. Bark on this tree was either damaged because of sickness, and that means there is need to help that tree, OR it was damaged by animals, in that case it means they are nearby and you can track them with enough expertise

I get your point, somebody who stay innawoods all the time knows shit, but you cannot dismiss ammount of knowledge that can be learned from books and exercises.

You may not care how tree organism work, on what type of soil are you pissing, what kind of cloud is over your head and if there can be rain or snow from it, how many water passes in the river in your town per hour, or many, many stuff in detail, but such knowledge can be applied if need arise. Same with all stuff.
>>
>>893894
again: how are these NOT questions i can find answers to some place else more quickly, more accurately, and more detailed?

if you had several years in a career in forestry, you might have something here. but you don't, so you don't. you're like the emt students who like to spew a bunch of theoretical bullshit in the first aid kit threads. go seek validation somewhere else.
>>
File: 20160621_131904.jpg (1003KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160621_131904.jpg
1003KB, 2560x1536px
>>893905
>go seek validation somewhere else
make me faggot
You would not even know what kind of questions to ask.
Instead if shitposting, you could try asking questions, and I could try answering them, or in case I would not know, I would search, so I would learn, everybody wins.

But you only call me unexperienced bullshitter, and nothing happens, only shitpost.
Fuck that, I'm going to sleep. Got Phitopathology class today and I actually care about nature more than I care about arguing with random strangers on mongolian carpentry appreciation board.
Have a (you) and good night faggot
>>
>>893911
Why are you so angry that he pointed out you know nothing? Does it hurt your feelings?
>>
Last year we had a wild fire down along the river and had to call you guys out. Why the hell do you guys suck at putting out fires?
>>
>>893774
>forestry student

Thats cute. im a treeplanter because University was a waste of time.

make 300$ a day and live inna shanty town
>>
File: 20160601_144842.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160601_144842.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>893774
What kind of trees make up your forests over there? We mostly have fir, hemlock, cedar, cottonwood, alder, and a few maples in the spots that are still wild.

Also, do you know anything about line clearance tree trimming? Like if your region needs more trimmers than it has? I think it might be looking to move in a while...
>>
>>893958
Pretty sure you didn't call untrained college kids to be fire fighters.
>>
>>893974
Sheeeeeit, where at anon? I've heard it's the most brutal labor one can do
>>
>>893994
Had to call state forestry. Bureau Of Land Management said our fire fighters weren't trained enough.
>>
File: IMG_4480.jpg (1MB, 2447x2447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4480.jpg
1MB, 2447x2447px
Forest Technician reporting in - BC Canada, where the trees are better than u.
-no prior experience, just got hired as a summer student and ive been there for 2 winters now. $20 an hour and im only 19 so kick ass.

love my job, but man its gettin cold outside.
>>
>>894033
What does a forestry technician do? Take soil samples? Monitor wildlife? Is it the new way to say logger?
I have no idea, that's why I ask.
>>
File: IMG_4215.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4215.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>894060
We lay out cutblocks, so basically do the pre-work for logging - appraise future roads, and basically GPS boundaries. Taking soil samples is done by somebody way higher up, which is dumb, but thats what they go to school for lol.

I see lots of wildlife, and look for antlers basically all day everyday. Its hard labour work for sure, you walk at LEAST 4km a day with 20+lbs on your back in surveying vests. I would highly recommend it if you love the /out/doors. i used to browse /tv/ and /b/ but now im trapped here instead.
>>
You might not know a lot about this, but at least more than me.

How feasible is it leaving in some nice woods with a few acres of land? I am thinking about it.
Like maybe a homestead I guess.
>>
>>893774

I've been thinking about going to school in order to work for the U.S. Forrest Service, but i'm not sure what will put me in the best position to conduct field research, mainly animals. I was thinking of just going with a Forestry degree, but that seems like it's more towards things like:

>count amount of thickness from 1 tree in 9 different ways
>A ton of other shit that is super useful, but not what I want to do

Do you think I should look for something besides a forestry degree, or is it just something you have to suffer through?
>>
>>893774
Forestry student here, hoping to get a masters and later manage land for government or private firm. From the standpoint of a part time researcher and seasonal worker, you sound a little try hard. How long have you been studying for? And why do you seem so self infatuated by the fact you're a forestry student? Why should I care what homework you have to do?
>>
>>893905
>you're like the emt students who like to spew a bunch of theoretical bullshit
This so much.

OP has no idea what the fuck he's talking about, I'm taking over this thread

>>893958
The science behind forest fires are way beyond what you'd think it might be. Hell, they mightve even wanted something of the fire to burn whatever it was burning. To better answer your question, if you were really seeking a serious one, would require context, ie location, tree species, stand ages, etc etc

>>894060
Depends on the field of forestry you get into. Surprisingly, there's a lot to do, like timber sales, fuels technician, fire fighting, urban forestry, and so on. Again, depends on context

>>894281
Again, context required about the forest, but this is also not necessarily forestry related. You'd have to ask anons whove done this say like those who live in Alaska

>>894313
Forestry isn't the way you want to go then if it is in fact you want to deal with animals. I do, however, highly recomend going to college if research is what you're interested in. Now the question is what degree would be best for you. I can only give so much info so here it goes. Take what I say with a grain of salt and if you're really looking to do what you said, talk to an advisor at a college with the appropriate programs, such as ecology or natural resources.
My recomendation to you is to find a college with a natural resource oriented program with a wildlife science degree or something. You can also look for places with fisheries program. If you want to get really into the sciency aspect of things, look for a good biology or ecology program. Now take into consideration that wildlife science is HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. People love animals, so the field is saturated with really smart cookies, and then dumbasses like OP. So you must be very committed to going above and beyond if you want to make a career out of the job.
>>
>>893774
Get out, germanistanfag, we know it's you again. This is not fucking fagddit and your occupation is not something super special. Go help rapefugees.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.