[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I feel really bad about today. I was hunting in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17

File: 20161113_173131.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161113_173131.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Hey guys. I feel really bad about today. I was hunting in the woods behind my property. I shot a deer in the spine and had to put him down 30 seconds later. I felt so bad. Has anybody had a similar experience, or felt remorse.?
>>
>I shot an animal for fun
>felt bad that I shot it
maybe don't shoot stuff
>>
>>893462
I feel bad when I kill spiders.
>>
>>893462

If you don't feel remorseful then it probably means you're the 1% of the population that is a psychopath.

The feeling is normal. I hate when I have to kill a fish I cannot keep because a hook got stuck in its stomach.
>>
>>893466
It's not that I feel bad for killing it. I feel bad for it suffering
>>
>>893466
Straight on. If you had remorse prior to shooting it, you weren't hungry enough to take its life.
>>
>>893470
I didn't have remorse beforehand. Just nervousness
>>
>>893462
I used to feel that way when I was younger. It's not a bad thing to feel that way, in fact it'll be better motivation for you to make a cleaner shot next time. Everyone has their own style of hunting; I'll only hunt for food and use the furs to tan and keep or sell. If it's a buck you can fashion all kinds of hilts, grips and other junk with the antlers. I don't hunt for sport, but I have made a bad kill like that before. When it happens I just take a moment to say a little thank you to the deer for helping sustain me, a small apology for the awful shot, and a promise to hit the mark next time. Just do what you feel you need to do to sleep better at night.
>>
>>893474
I will try my best to hit it right on the first shot
>>
>>893462

No remorse. Just annoyance that I fucked the shot up.
>>
>>893469
Don't be shit shot? Go to the range bro
>>
File: IMG_4242.jpg (73KB, 512x219px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4242.jpg
73KB, 512x219px
I was hunting geese and took a shot on a flock that was landing. Somehow I got 5 with three shots.

4 were dead before my dog got to them but one was very much alive, even after my dog retrieved it.

I tried everything I could to finish him off.

>twist his neck
>crush his rib cage
>snap his neck like cracking a whip

I finally had to shove his bill in the mud and let him drown.

I felt terrible.

I haven't hunted much since.
>>
Hunting involves killing, and eating meat involves killing as well.

I think sometimes we separate ourselves from it. We eat a burger and forgot that something had to give its life for that meal.

I think if you're going to eat meat, you should have a understanding that death was involved, and if you aren't comfortable with killing an animal, you shouldn't be that comfortable eating meat.

One thing hunting has taught me, ironically, is to really value life. To understand death is a part of life, to understand how life works, that one thing dies so another may live. This happens countless times a day in nature.

If I kill something, and eat it, I really appreciate the sacrifice behind it.
>>
>>893474
That is a good way to handle it anon, I'll do the same whenever I go hunting.
>>
>>893664
Why didn't you just shoot him? Or cut his head off or some thing. Dick fucking move drowning the poor thing.
>>
>>893670
Exactly. I hate people that kill or hunt animals and don't eat them, not good.
>>
>>893674
I would've obliterated him with another round and wasted the meat, and didn't have a knife on me at the time.
>>
>>893688
A shot to the head doesn't ruin the meat though
>>
File: IMG_0240.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0240.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>893462
After you kill 7 or 8 more, you won't feel so bad.
>>
File: IMG_4246.jpg (44KB, 879x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4246.jpg
44KB, 879x330px
>>893701
>headshot

You don't hunt geese with a rifle moron.
>>
>>893675
>not good.
like killing squirells
>>
>>893729
I did all the time with my dad's pump .22 lr Remington on my dad's property
>>
>>893688
True, true. Damn man but should have hit him with a huge rock on the head at least.

>>893719
Aren't they an invasive species?

>>893742
I mean that is ok, I was talking more like deer and etc. I have killed plenty and thrown them out because they were no good.
Squirrel taste good I just wish it had more meat.
>>
>>893664
What, you got a 3 round capacity or something?
>>
>>893753
Not grabbing it around its head with two fingers and swinging him like a whip to promptly remove the head from the body....
>>
>>893472
Probably why you didn't make a clean kill.
>>
>>893467
why would you kill spiders? they rid the world of disease transmitting bugs and are no danger to humans in most cases. you should feel bad for killing the best artists in nature.
>>
>remorse
Never, but you do feel some empathy with the animal, if you've got any respect for them at all. One of the first deer I shot was a young wounded doe, put one through her neck as she was running towards me. Slit her throat when I got up to her, just sat with her until it was over.
I've never felt remorse while hunting/fishing though, zero guilt.
>>
>>893664
Bring a pair of pliers with next time, crush the neck below the head.
>>
>>893912
Because they scare the shit out of me when they're close.

DESU I usually don't kill anything if I can help it, I'd put a spider outside before I kill it. But every once in a while there's a situation where I have no choice.
>>
>>893664
I've seen some hunters grab the head and give the body a spin. seems to work. I can't say I know how to do it but I'm sure I could figure it out.
>>
>>893729
just press the muzzle to the head. shot isn't magic, it won't spread at all until like 20 feet.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
Once I aimed for a buck, spines a doe and it made fragile rock weez. Had to head shot her, sucked a bit
>>
>>893664
I seriously don't understand how drowning it could ever seem like the optimal way to kill it. That doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>894021
pretty much exactly how you'd imagine it
>grab by the head/neck closest to the head
>spin the body in a 360 like a ferris wheel
>usually pretty obvious when the neck is broken
>worst case scenario, the head is completely severed
>>893664
did you not carry a knife? you could've slit it's throat, decapitated it, or just fucking field dressed it and it would've bled out quickly
>>
Had a grouse that just wouldn't die, tried to saunter off the first shot and the second only left him cripple enough to squeal in pain. Didn't wana waste another shot so I just lopped his head off with my puma.
Fucker sure tasted good.
>>
>>893729

Have you ever patterned your shotgun? Retard?
>>
>>893462
Had a bad shot on a doe last year. Never found her. Felt worse that I didn't get my $30 worth of arrow/broadhead back. Mainly changed how eager I am to take a shot with a bow.

>>893468
Cut the line. The hook will dissolve eventually and the fish will likely live.

>>893658
>>893898
The effects of adrenaline, unknown distance, and a less than stable shooting position can affect accuracy. If you had any successful hunts you'd know this, but it's obvious you don't hunt or always come home empty handed.

>>893792
Not him, but..migratory birds and waterfowl can't be hunted with more than 3 shots in Virginia, and I'd imagine it's a federal regulation since the birds are crossing state lines.
>>
>>893664
>shove his bill in the mud and let him drown

i'm fucking cracking up over here anon
>>
i regularly shoot rabbits and fox's on the family farm, they're pests and they die instantly so i dont feel bad for them.

Apart from one fox, really young one came running up towards me, stopped a few meters away and just stared at me. I shot him right in the face with the shotgun, he felt nothing but still, poor guy was just curious and came over to see what i was.
>>
One evening I shot at what I thought was a squirrel on my bird feeder. It turned out to be a raccoon and I had to shoot him a couple more times to put him down. I feel bad, not just because I made it suffer but because I should never have fired when I wasn't sure of my target.
>>
>>893468
Or sociopath, which is far much more common
>>
It's good that you're feeling this way anon. It means that next time you hunt you will do everything you can to make sure your first shot is clean and that the animal doesn't have any undue suffering. These sorts of experiences also make us realise that the meat we eat was, at one stage, a living breathing animal. We then appreciate the meal even more, which gives the animal the respect it deserves. It's the sort of feeling that only hunters and fishermen can understand and your average "meat comes from the store" consumer will never truly be able to empathise with.
>>
Remember that you're the only predator that ever feels remorse.
>>
>>893729
Let me shoot you in the head with a shotgun then you tell me if it was a headshot of not.
>>
>>896644
You're kind of a psycho senpai
>>
>>897092
How is that? Fucker would have been tearing the chickens apart later on if i didnt shoot him. Death to the readcoats.
>>
>>893462
>>893664
Oh boy, looks like we've got a bunch of pansies and goose drowners.
>>
File: 20161008_105348.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_105348.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>893462

>30 seconds of suffering.

Most hunters I know have had at least one experience where they had to track a wounded deer. Sometimes for hours on end.

Given the spine shot, your deer probably felt little to no pain, and you finished it off rapidly.

Don't feel bad. Pay respect to the animal by using as much of its body as practical and return what you don't use to nature.

If you want to make sure this doesn't happen again, practice with your rifle. Figure out the wind conditions and other factors that led to the spine shot and train yourself for better shot placement and compensation for wind/distance/nerves.

Good job anon. You harvested a deer and did it fairly well. Now enjoy the spoils and don't feel so bad.

Pic related - where I prefer to shoot them.
>>
>>897185
Shot a 7 point buck in the heart last Sunday with a 12 gauge slug. Blood sprayed all over the trees, and the trail was super obvious. I really fucked him up. He died pretty quickly, and ran maybe 25 yards or so.

The endurance of these animals never seizes to amaze me. I can truly say that I love them, ironic as that may be.
>>
>>897137
oh please. fuckin' psycho.
>>
File: IMG_20151121_125918488_HDR.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151121_125918488_HDR.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>893462
I got you man, I took a spine shot and then found out it was a fawn. Feels but taste... I water up a little every time I take a deer.

>just ate a v-roast and potatoes
>full belly feels

Last year the worst shot happened, a non kill. I tracked it for 4 hours in the dark in 20f. I had a lot of anger with myself because I was over confident with being able to shoot off hand. I went to the range next day to confirm if it was me or my rifle that fucked up, it was me. My shots since have all been perfectly placed. Cold barrel shot can hit a dime at 100 yards.

>243 Lazer beam
>>
Been there OP I shot a mountain lion in the lower spleen I was about 100 to 125 yards away in rough mountain country took me 15 min to get to it and it was still alive just trying to crawl in its front paws never felt so bad in my life but he did taste good
>>
>>898728
>tastes like Chinese chicken
>>
>>896644
You better be Australian

But you could have kept that little fox as a pet
>>
>>893469
Well you managed to put it out of it's suffering, relatively quickly might I add, so what's the problem?
>>
>>893912

I have a house that gets swarmed by some sort of highly aggressive wolf spiders. They leave welts the diameter of golf balls and from leg to leg can be 2in long.

I kill them relentlesly. That said I have an alliance with the jumping spider race, they are bros.
>>
>>893474
>I just take a moment to say a little thank you to the deer for helping sustain me, a small apology for the awful shot, and a promise to hit the mark next time

Nothing personnel, kid.
>>
>>898513
I felt that way too till my wife nearly got taken out by one on the highway.

I mean I still do love them and all for the same reasons you mention but its tempered a bit because they made it personal...

Fuck
>>
>>899062
More like beef actually I let mine marinade over night in a homemade recipes than let it smoke for about 5-6 hours on misquete wood chips as the base and complete misquete log that's been soaked in water to get off good thick smoke
>>
>>898728
y-you ate a mountain lion?
>>
>>893462
Start bird hunting, anon. If you hunt something like dove, you'll find that they hit the ground alive as often as dead, and you have to chase them around, grab them and pop their heads off. I started dove hunting when I was nine, and am used to having to put wounded animals down. I don't care what anybody says, no hunter is perfect 100% of the time. You got to it within 30 seconds, you did fine.

Watch some nature shows about how predators kill their prey. What you did was downright humane compared to some of the shit that goes on in the natural world.
>>
>>893462

>falling for the hunting is good/normal/natural meme

you're not supposed to kill living creatures, dumbass.
they have the same exact will to live as you and i.
they have families and shit and are free creatures.
they are more free than we are.
>>
File: IMG_1696.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1696.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>900394
>>
>>900400
god damn sneks
>>
>>893462
I wouldn't have posted this. You're just going to get trolled by no gun morons or pro gun morons. "Maybe don't shoot stuff". "Don't be a shit shot? Go to the range bro". Ones from a dipshit the other is from a pure faggot. I hate when people say bro.

You fucked up op. You were hunting for meat, you goofed and had the animal suffer for a short time. These things happen. You're a good person for knowing you goofed and just go forward doing your part to be a better shot. Move forward and be thankful to the animal you bagged.
>>
File: seal.png (148KB, 981x604px) Image search: [Google]
seal.png
148KB, 981x604px
>>893462

pic related from similar thread
>>
File: peeps.jpg (13KB, 180x221px) Image search: [Google]
peeps.jpg
13KB, 180x221px
>>893474
Made me tear up.
>>
dude its an animal i mean i understand you not wanting it to suffer which is fine but if it does the only thing you can do is kill it and dont shit up the shot next time

CW
>>
>>893474
oh man, almost tears.
you are the Bob Ross of hunting, thanks for that
>>
File: booty.png (303KB, 422x413px) Image search: [Google]
booty.png
303KB, 422x413px
>>893474
What a little faggot.
>>
>>900481
Such a fun thread
>>
>>901065
fucking this. is /out/ the most beta of boards?
>>
>>893474
Good answer for once
>>899611
Kek
>>
>>901109
>>901065
It's not beta to respect what you kill. You're on an anonymous message board there's no need to spew your pseudo macho bullshit. You're not impressing anyone, bubba.
>>
>>893462

I found a turtle a while back like over a mile from the nearest lake which I assumed it came from, I cba carrying it back to the lake but I put it in a little pond thing nearby, not sure if I helped it or hindered it
>>
>>900370
I eat everything I kill just like everyone should
>>
>>893462
There's no reason to eat meat in modern society. Meat is bad for your health anyway. There's no reason to hunt animals at all.
>>
>>903388
>hunting just for the meat
ok.
>>
>>896644
>poor guy
Why did you kill him then? Should have kept him.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 576x509px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 576x509px
>>893462
2 years ago, mowing my yard, I mowed over a turtle that I didn't see. The blade cut his shell open. I went back to the house to find some antiseptic but he wandered away before I came back. I'm a grown man, but I cried. Hell has a place for those that hurt turtles
>>
>>903370
How does long pig taste?
> someone here must get this
>>
>>893664
I'm sure smashing it with a rock or decapitation would have been a better option that fucking drowning it. Bloody hell man wtf.
>>
>>903445
My mum once did this two a frog.
>>
File: IMG_2627.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2627.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>903445
lel
you're a good anon
i has a pet turtle when I was 10 or so
we used to let him trot around the yard
went inside to get a soda or some shit came back and the little fucker was gone
my pet turtle ran away
fug me
>>
>>894009

It's more merciful to kill them anyway. House spiders die when you put them outside, since they're adapted to live in human dwellings.
>>
I haven't been hunting but I killed a mouse. My cat caught one and it was pretty fucked up bleeding pretty bad. Usually if I catch one I toss them outside but this one was fucked up. So I set it down and bopped him with a hammer. His head exploded and all that was left of his face was part of his lower jaw. I felt nothing just emptiness for a little bit. Better then the little cunt suffering.
>>
>>893462
well you killed a sentient being, its suppose to make you feel something, you just entered the circle of life and death.

mentally fortifying yourself from emotions, isnt the point. you are supposed to feel something, i think that much, when you first are going to kill the animal, at least show it the respect of having remorse.
>>
>>893462
It is food. All lesser animals are food. Never let yourself feel bad for food.
>>
>>893462

I haven't taken any big game yet, but that's the one thing I'm not looking forward to. You can be a great shot, but things happen and your shot might not be that perfect kill.

As long as youve done your best to get a clean kill, and kill the animal quick if you don't, then you've done all you can.

It's part of the territory.
>>
>>893462
Once upon a time I was out hunting grouse, first trip of the season. I was using a .22 with a small scope on it. First grouse I shot I had to shoot twice. First shot blew apart its shoulder, second took off a chunk of it's ass. Needless to say I was excited and forgot the fundementals of shooting. It was still moving pretty good for missing a couple chunks. Chased it in a circle for a minute then caught it and ripped its head off with my bare hands. Be a fucking man OP. No remorse and bagged 3 more that day.

Have you ever had a pet die? Watching a dog die of old age induced organ failure is much much more painful to watch than a deer die in all of a minute from a gunshot.
>>
>>893462
Eat her. You will feel fulfilled.
>>
>>893664
>Not just cutting the throat
You do carry a knife?
>>
>>904377
I've seen wild dogs eat the pieces that airstrikes leave.
>>
File: 1480405926379.png (1MB, 1294x307px) Image search: [Google]
1480405926379.png
1MB, 1294x307px
Once when i was ten or eleven, shot a rabbit, and when I went to dress it, a bunch of half formed baby bunnies plopped out. A little distressing to say the least, but more out of the unexpectedness of it all. Endded up feeding the innards to the puppers or fish bait for cats
>>
File: na-seals-9.jpg (478KB, 1011x1308px) Image search: [Google]
na-seals-9.jpg
478KB, 1011x1308px
>>900481
>>
>>893462
Blew a deers front leg off once with a 41mag. Shot it in the chest a few minutes later but it bruised a rear thigh up in its thrashing.
>>
>>893462
Learn to fucking shoot. If you cant responsibly kill an animal, you shouldnt kill one. Practice before you try again.
>>
File: 1480328555485.jpg (274KB, 976x642px) Image search: [Google]
1480328555485.jpg
274KB, 976x642px
>>893474
Wow, an actual heartfelt and helpful post on 4chan...
>*winged pig flies past window*
>>
>>893462
My first deer. Same kind of hit as yours, and same conclusion too.
After that i resolved to REALLY know my rifle. Where it shot, what loads it liked, how it performed sitting, standing, prone, where the cold barrel shot went, etc.

It got to the point where I was spending all day at the range, putting gigantic bruises in my shoulder and the RO at the local public range was chiding me about wasting so much ammunition. All because I was waiting for my barrel to completely cool between shots, cleaning religiously, and doing everything I could to replicate what the conditions would be when I actually took a shot on a deer.

But it all paid off this year. I saw just two deer, and took just two shots on those deer. Both of them were with hit one shot each, and neither went far.
>>
>>908779
is that little bitch putting ketchup on her boaster?
>>
>>893462
Bad shots = tainted meat. It is best to have them drop instantly so there's no blood flow and no tainting the meat with fear chemicals.

Suffering actually doesn't taste good.
>>
>>893462
When I was 14 I unloaded an sks into a elks face at about 150 yards and it ran off.
My dad shot it in the chest after he heard it gruggleing blood.
Fucking pregnant cow.
>>
>>893462
This thread gave me feels. I once caught a big fat perch while ice fishing behind a dam/paper factory. Hit it on the head. It kept moving an our later. Found out it was full to the brI'm wit eggs. It ended tasting nasty probably from hormones and all the shit that is floating in my bit of the Mississippi river. I killed a pregnant fish that tasted like shit.
>>
>>909820
Unless your Chinese. Then you do it for fun.
>>
I always feel something when I kill an animal. Not remorse or shame or sadness, but something. I think it's mature to show some respect for your food.
>>
I've only ever gone bird hunting, but fortunately I've never had to finish off a wounded bird.

Strangely, the only time I ever had to go and finish a kill was when I shot a magpie with an air rifle. I was intending to kill it to send a message to its flock-mates so they'd stay off my property, but I just wounded it. It fell into the grass and started shivering, so I had to go and break its neck.

I don't really mind killing stuff, but me causing that magpie a whole lot of unnecessary pain still flits across my mind at odd hours sometimes.
>>
>>909820
Get the deer field dressed and the meat onto ice quick. Keep adding more ice daily and drain the water away every so often. It'll get minimized pretty well that way.
Or just shoot more does. Their meat tastes better anyway.
>>
>>893664
Why didn't you just stomp its head and crush its skull?
>>
>>910063
I only shoot does. It is the best way to control the population. Best meat = doe, young, instant kill.
>>
File: 1469577854067.jpg (119KB, 1024x752px) Image search: [Google]
1469577854067.jpg
119KB, 1024x752px
>>893462
You extinguished a life, you should feel bad.
It took millions of years of natural selection to fashion this creature on planet Earth, and you destroyed it.
Billions of years of random events in space brought you to this point in time where you would remove a life force from the natural order of things.
>>
>>893462
I feel bad even holding a gun, even though I like the idea of skinning the animals and whatever I just feel bad about it. It's the mixture of taking it's life and putting it in pain. I don't know why I can't get over it. I think it's just natural for a fair portion of us to feel sympathetic. It's going to happen again.
>>
>>910082
Your bait is bad, and you should feel bad.
>>
>>893462
Did you do it on purpose, or on accident? You shouldn't kill animals if your life doesn't depend on it.
>>
>>893462
>Has anybody had a similar experience, or felt remorse.?
Normal. Only weirdos don't (except with people and some geta a good feeling)

Kill as clean as you can and don't waste what you took..
>>
>>912807
You should never eat meat unless your life depends on it then.

Have you ever eaten meat in your life?
>>
>>910201
I hope it is bait, you know there are retards that believe this though.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.