[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting for newfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: dahunt.jpg (169KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
dahunt.jpg
169KB, 1024x682px
Hey /out/, I was thinking about trying out hunting soon since I've never been. I plan to use a 12ga pump action since that is the only gun available to me. What game would you recommend to a first time hunter? I hear squirrel is a good choice since they are plentiful and it is good practice for hunting bigger game later on. Would you recommend this or going straight on to big game or something else completely? Also what choke and size shot would be best for different game?
>>
Alright you got a lot going on here.
First things first a 12 gauge is a poor choice for squirrel, can it be done? Yeah sure but shotguns aren't what you want to use for small game. If you absolutely have no choice go grouse or pheasant hunting or hunt some sort of winged creature. If you can get the couple hundred bucks for a .22 rifle get that it's great for pretty much all small game. Or get an air rifle those are good for squirrel and chipmunks, are cheaper than a firearm and don't require all the paperwork. Large game is possible with a 12 gauge but you are going to need buckshot or slugs, I'm assuming you don't happen to have a slug barrel so buckshot is the better choice. Ideally you'd be using a rifle for this too because shotguns have a much more limited range and are going to make killing large game harder. I would really recommend doing even a little bit of research.
>>
>>893399
First find the hunting regulations for where you live.

Second a 12 gauge will utterly destroy a squirrel.

Third chokes are dependent on the conditions. Far away target more choke close target less choke. Untill you know what you are hunting and how to hunt it you wont know what choke you need. Your shotgun might not even accept different chokes.

Fourth the kind of shells you need such as low brass, high brass, heavy load, light load, shot size and shot type has the same problems as your choke. Different game different shells, different laws different shells, different gun different shells.
>>
Also even if your area does not require it I highly suggest taking a hunters education class. They will give you an overview on cleaning game and firearms safety as well as info on hunting laws. They are cheap (Texas has them for $10) and the instructors are normally willing to help guide new hunters in the right direction after class if you still have some questions.
>>
>>893399
You really need to find some responsible people to take you out a few times, OP.

Try searching online for hunting forums in your area, as well as sportsmans clubs.
>>
Don't bother
>>
File: IMG_20161106_114435~2.jpg (562KB, 1109x3658px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_114435~2.jpg
562KB, 1109x3658px
>>893473
12ga is perfectly acceptable for squirrel if you use the right load. #6 gameloads will not utterly destroy' a squirrel. Do you even hunt?

OP your shotgun will cover 90% of small game hunting. Although as mentioned a .22 will be better in some cases, you can get a very good used .22 that would last a lifetime very cheap on the private market. No need to get a brand new gun to bang around the woods. I picked up pic related for 100 flat.

A .22 + shotgun combo will cover all your hunting needs in all cases of small game and limited cases of larger game like deer.
>>
>>894245
Not but shit that was only 100? I would buy one for that price for sure.
>>
>>894260
Yeah its a 1988 marlin 25, there are plenty of them out there and similar offerings from other brands. Sometimes the quality of these older rifles can be better than new production. Check your local pawn shops and gun stores after hunting season there are usually finds to be had then too. Just be sure to check the bore and it has no issues feeding/ejecting. A solid bolt .22 is a simple device. Not much to go wrong.
>>
File: animalcruel.jpg (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
animalcruel.jpg
46KB, 600x450px
>>893399
shoot some trap at your local range. try duck hunting or hunt grouse.

Just in case it isn't apparent, people own lots of guns bc they're a bit specialized. Your 12ga presumably has a smoothbore on it. That's good for clay, bird, maybe some deer if you put the right shot into it.

If you want to shoot squirrel then start shooting deer, get a .22 and then a .308.

There is no absolute rules for hunting and equal numbers will agree and disagree with me. If you're good, you can probably bring down a moose with a .22.

You aren't good yet, use the right tool for the job.
>>
>>894642
Gonna look into one in the future. The ammo is fucking cheap as hell as well, it would be good.

>>894913
Is this image fake? Crazy.
>>
Get a .410 for small game such as squirrel, 12ga is useful for duck/geese/large bird and or slugs for hunting deer/bear defence.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.